TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-17-2013, 08:32 PM   #1
TechNovice
TechNovice

Help! TIVO deleted many saved shows

My TIVO HD (which I have had for several years) all of a sudden deleted a bunch of my saved shows. I had plenty of storage space left. There were almost 100 TIVO suggestions in addition to my shows. When I looked at it tonight, a bunch of previously saved shows were gone. I can't tell why it deleted some shows and not others. For example, it deleted some shows that I had marked "save until I delete", and didn't delete others that were not marked to be saved. It doesn't appear to have only hit shows that were recorded prior to a certain date. Has this happened to anyone else? Does it mean that my hard drive is failing?

Thanks in advance for any help!
TechNovice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 09:24 PM   #2
NorthAlabama
tabasco rules

this isn't any help (sorry it happened), but i remembered a similar thread a week or so ago about a similar issue:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=505263

and another older thread here:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=487679

The truth will set you free. But not until it is finished with you. - David Foster Wallace

Last edited by NorthAlabama : 06-17-2013 at 09:32 PM.
NorthAlabama is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 09:44 PM   #3
mattack

If they were really marked save until I delete, are you SURE someone didn't accidentally sit on the remote, or you accidentally have another tivo remote set to the same IR channel?
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 06:20 AM   #4
TechNovice
TechNovice

Thank you -- I'll check out those threads.

Mattack - I would have suspected my 2-year old of mistakenly deleting them, except that it is SO many shows, and so far apart on the "Now Playing List". For example, 25 shows were deleted from one grouping; 17 from another; 22 from another; 11 from another... and so on, and so forth. If you're wondering why we save SO many shows, they aren't the "adult" shows, which are viewed and deleted. They are children's shows, which the kids like to watch again and again and again. (And are also in SD, so they don't take up much space.)

The other thing that you mentioned hadn't occurred to me, but it's possible. Over the weekend, we moved an old first-generation TIVO to my daughter's room and I reset the remote control. It didn't occur to me that I could have used the same code as our other TIVO, since they are different brand TVs, but that seems like a possibility. I'll check it out.

Thank you both for your help!
Old 06-18-2013, 07:14 AM   #5
TechNovice
TechNovice

Alabama - Thank you so much for those threads. It sounds like the same thing... One person mentioned that they were all shows that were 2 years old. It may be that my deleted shows were also that old. I'll have to check. The disappointing thing is that we can't get back a lot of those shows because they're no longer being broadcast. I'm going to call TIVO to see if they are aware of this issue.

Mattack - I went back and checked the codes for the remotes, and it looks like they are different. I hoped it was that, because that would mean that it wouldn't happen again if I fixed it. Unfortunately, I now have no faith that I'm not going to lose more recordings. : (
Old 06-18-2013, 08:07 AM   #6
bshrock

I agree TiVo is loosing ground it needs to fix the delete and the First Run Only season pass. The Cable Co DVR does not have the problem recording FRO it's too early to tell about deleting old programs.
bshrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 09:10 AM   #7
pdhenry
Every Day's Saturday

In the To Do List, check the Recording History (at the top of the To Do) and it will tell you why recently deleted shows were deleted (e.g., it will say "Deleted by Someone in Your Family" or other reason for deletion).
pdhenry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 03:19 PM   #8
TechNovice
TechNovice

I checked the Recording History. Oddly, it doesn't show any of the deleted shows. Well, it has a couple of shows that I personally deleted, but none of the hundreds of shows that are mysteriously missing are listed.
Old 06-18-2013, 03:37 PM   #9
NorthAlabama
tabasco rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechNovice View Post
I checked the Recording History. Oddly, it doesn't show any of the deleted shows.
this, along with your previous comment the deleted programs were not listed in the deleted folder, lead me to believe it was a hardware or software related failure, as opposed to user error.

have you reported this to tivo tech support, and if so, did they have any comments or suggestions?

The truth will set you free. But not until it is finished with you. - David Foster Wallace
NorthAlabama is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 07:06 PM   #10
59er
TiVotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthAlabama View Post
this, along with your previous comment the deleted programs were not listed in the deleted folder, lead me to believe it was a hardware or software related failure, as opposed to user error.

have you reported this to tivo tech support, and if so, did they have any comments or suggestions?
Don't deleted shows only get listed if they were recently recorded?
59er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 08:17 PM   #11
pdhenry
Every Day's Saturday

Quote:
Originally Posted by 59er View Post
Don't deleted shows only get listed if they were recently recorded?
IIRC the most recently deleted shows are listed.
pdhenry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 05:57 AM   #12
ggieseke

Have you rebooted it?
ggieseke is offline   Reply With Quote