TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-13-2013, 11:59 AM   #1
rg01

Tivo Premiere XL4 or Should I wait?

I've been researching the Tivo, and I'm seriously thinking about buying a Premiere XL4 to replace my cable companies DVR box.
My question is, is the Premiere XL4 worth getting at this point, or would you wait for the next round of new Tivo hardware?

Thanks for your opinion on this.
rg01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 12:36 PM   #2
atmuscarella

First the 4 tuner models (Premiere 4 & Premiere XL4) are digital cable only so first thing I will ask is are all your cable channels digital (SD or HD)? If yes continue on.

Normally with tech stuff I say buy whats available when you want it and worry about upgrading to new stuff latter, otherwise you will always be waiting for the next upgrade.

Little different with the current crop of TiVos, they have really been around longer than they should have been so there is that issue. However we only believe, from rumors, that new models are coming. No real idea when or what they will be and no official TiVo statements.

So if I needed a new DVR now I would buy another TiVo however if I had something that was working I would wait.

Good Luck,
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio

Last edited by atmuscarella : 06-13-2013 at 01:22 PM.
atmuscarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 01:23 PM   #3
rg01

Thank you for your response atmuscarella.

I have digital cable. my cable company is Optimum, and I have a scientific atlanta explorer 8300hd which was I believe can only store approx. 24 hrs of HD programming.

I know how it is with tech stuff, and upgrades. I always try to avoid buying items that are due to be replaced shortly after they're purchased. For instance, I wouldn't buy an iPhone in January because Apple has historically released their phones in June/July.

So if I understood you correctly, the current line of Tivo's have been out longer than the last series?

I'm not in dire need of a new DVR, but a Tivo would be a nice upgrade over the 8300HD. Just a bit hesitant to pay $800+ for a XL4 and lifetime sub, to see a nice new shiny model released soon after I buy it.
Old 06-13-2013, 01:52 PM   #4
atmuscarella

Quote:
Originally Posted by rg01 View Post
So if I understood you correctly, the current line of Tivo's have been out longer than the last series?
4 tuner units haven't been out that long however they are based on the same basic hardware as the dual tuner Premiere which has been out since 3/2010 (the only upgrade for the dual tuner model has been an increase in hard drive size). For the 4 tuner models they basically removed the Over the Air and analog tuners in the dual tuner units and added 2 more digital cable ones along with adding MoCA networking. Of course the software has received major upgrades over that same time period. The software in the Premiere when it was released was fair to terrible depending on who you talk to.

The rumors are of a new 6 tuner digital cable only model with a much faster processor and a new 4 tuner digital cable/Over the air model again with a much faster processor both coming latter this fall. Again they are nothing but rumors.
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
atmuscarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 11:23 AM   #5
davezatz
Funkadelic

Wait. And I'd say it's more than rumor, given my intel. However delivery dates can and often do slip.
davezatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 11:28 AM   #6
rg01

Thanks. I'm going to wait, and take another look at what Tivo has to offer in the Fall. Hopefully they'll release new Tivo hardware and they'll include Android support on the Stream by then. It'll be nice to have at least 4 tuners when Football season starts.
Old 06-16-2013, 09:25 AM   #7
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

The current $700 promo for an XL4 with lifetime is a good deal IMO, but I agree with Dave that it's probably better to wait for the new boxes now.
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 10:41 AM   #8
PotentiallyCoherent

Quote:
Originally Posted by rg01 View Post
I've been researching the Tivo, and I'm seriously thinking about buying a Premiere XL4 to replace my cable companies DVR box.
My question is, is the Premiere XL4 worth getting at this point, or would you wait for the next round of new Tivo hardware?

Thanks for your opinion on this.
I bought the the TiVo4 a few months ago, and tend to wait until the hardware is sort of aged before I do buy. Mostly because of price, and usability gained through maturity. I had the Premiere for about a year before that, and got it for $45 through Amazon.

Some have problems with both, but aside from some problems with the slide remote using the bluetooth dongle, I don't. I use the slide in IR mode now, and it works fine. No keyboard of course, but I like the size.

I do occasionally, very occasionally get the blue flower of death (I think that's what the cool kids are calling it these days) but it's not a huge hinderance, as I don't find instant obedience to my every whim a necessary trait. That said, it's very rare, and most functions happen as quickly as I can press a key on the remote.

Netflix takes awhile to load. Maybe 30 seconds... gives me time to pet the dog, make love to the wife, and finish the all so important paper that will decide whether or not life on earth will survive as we know it.

I'm not everyone, of course, but I think the 4 performs fine, and may buy a 6 once the price is reasonable. Not sure how I will continue to work productively with six tuners recording though, and watching the output may interfere with me having the funds to take advantage of those thirty second lapses in TiVo performance while it loads Netflix... Is TiVo actively involved with population control, dog happiness, and weight loss due to forgetting that one needs to eat?
PotentiallyCoherent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 04:26 PM   #9
sneagle
Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davezatz View Post
Wait. And I'd say it's more than rumor, given my intel. However delivery dates can and often do slip.
I am waiting. At minimum to see what the new hardware offers above the current models.
sneagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 10:28 PM   #10
ccfoodog

Quote:
Originally Posted by davezatz View Post
Details?

thanks,

-john
ccfoodog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 11:40 AM   #11
Dan203
Super Moderator

The current rumors for the new box are....

* 6 tuners
* faster hardware
* possible built in Stream transcoding
* possible new remote

AFAIK no specific software features have been rumored. However we're hoping for dynamic tuner allocation with the Mini. And I personally am hoping for some sort of multiple user feature so multiple people can share a single box with separate My Shows, To Do Lists, etc...
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 12:47 PM   #12
jadziedzic

Comcast in my area starts encrypting ALL channels as of August 1st, which renders my four clear-QAM setups (two TVs, two PCs) inoperative. An XL4 with a couple of minis sounds attractive for the TVs, and I'm looking into an HD HomeRun Prime for the PCs.

Are there any features of the "rumored new box" that would obviate the need for the HD HomeRun? I can limp along with Comcast DTAs on the two TVs for a few months after the transition while waiting for the "rumored new box" if there's a chance it will ship before the end of the year.
jadziedzic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 01:54 PM   #13
Dan203
Super Moderator

When comparing an HTPC to a TiVo it really comes down to price and UI preference. A TiVo draws less power and is slightly more set and forget, but with lifetime service it's typically a bit more expensive. Plus an HTPC is still a PC so it tends to have access to a lot more software and services then a TiVo. (for example the Hulu website, network websites, etc...)

If you're a tech guy who doesn't mind futzing with it every now and then, and you don't mind the Media Center UI, then there is nothing wrong with a HTPC with HD Homerun or Ceton card. If you just want it to work and you like the TiVo UI then go with the TiVo.
Old 06-17-2013, 04:41 PM   #14
jadziedzic

Thanks, Dan. I should clarify that I'm not looking to move to an HTPC environment, my wife just likes to have background noise (live TV programming) on her PC when she's using it, which she gets now from a TV tuner card in the PC (via WMC). The HD HomeRun Prime lets me keep that functionality.

I fully intend to keep my TiVo, and was wondering if anyone is expecting a "watch live TV from your TiVo on your PC" feature that would integrate into the WMC live TV experience she has now. Something that would make the HD HomeRun un-necessary in this casual WMC environment.
jadziedzic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 05:04 PM   #15
Dan203
Super Moderator

TiVo demoed a browser based UI with streaming at the cable show last week. The demo was targeted at cable providers, but it's possible it could be adapted for the consumer side.

As of right now the only way to share live TV from a TiVo is via a Mini.