TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Season Pass Alerts
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-16-2013, 10:39 PM   #31
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPSAN View Post
NO! I know what you said. I just wonder if ABC will ever fix it.
The problem is, you don't really understand what I said. However, I will try one last time with a fuller explanation end examples.

The Original Air Date, which is what the scheduler uses to determine if the episode meets the criteria for an FRO SP, is the date it first aired - anywhere. This situation has existed for a long time on channels like SYFY and BBCA that show numerous series that air first in Canada or the UK. It's just that it is very unusual for one of the broadcast networks to air a series that aired elsewhere first.

This does not mean that an FRO SP will never pick up episodes of a series that initially airs elsewhere first. It's just that the U.S. airing must be soon enough that the OAD still qualifies.

As an example, "Lost Girl" used to air on SYFY months after it initially aired in Canada so that you had to set your SP to record reruns. With the most recent season, episodes aired on SYFY a week after they aired in Canada. Therefore, I was able to change my SP to FRO.

The same was true for "Dr. Who" on BBCA, except in that case the episodes actually started airing the same day.

In point of fact, I doubt that there is anything that ABC could do about it even if they wanted to. TiVo gets their data from TMS. See here for the zap2it "Motive" episode guide. Notice the first aired date. zap2it gets their data from the same place as TiVo, which makes sense as TMS owns zap2it.

I think part of the problem is that there are at least 3 different visible indicators plus the OAD that can lead to natural confusion: The "NEW" indicator in the TiVo guide, the "NEW" indicator in zap2it, and the "R" flag in the info.

The "NEW" flag in the TiVo guide is set if the OAD is the same day as the guide entry.

Both the "NEW" flag in zap2it and the "R" in the info seem to be based on the same thing, i.e. if this is the first U.S. showing. One of the reasons that the TiVo scheduler can't use this field to decide whether or not to schedule it is so that it can record a subsequent showing of an episode when it fails to record the initial showing(the only one w/o the "R") for some reason - conflict, system down, newly created SP, etc. IOW, the TiVo scheduler ignores the presence or absence of the "R".

If you wish to continue this discussion, feel free to open a new thread in the proper sub-forum. This is really not the proper place for it. However, be forewarned that a lot of us having been dealing with it for years and there's really not much left of that equine corpse.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 12:01 PM   #32
MPSAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
If you wish to continue this discussion, feel free to open a new thread in the proper sub-forum. This is really not the proper place for it. However, be forewarned that a lot of us having been dealing with it for years and there's really not much left of that equine corpse.
OK, thank you again and I believe I am OK now. I had thought that they only looked at the R in the guide.
Old 06-17-2013, 01:20 PM   #33
sieglinde

I doubt it. I have a few other shows I had to treat the same way such as Merlin.