TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-16-2013, 08:15 PM   #1
viper510hp

the dvr has detected a serious problem

I started having problems with my TiVo HD so I called TiVo Customer support and they told me to Clear program information & To Do List. I figured I would do that before I did "Clear & delete everything" next. Well I did it and now the TiVo displays this screen and is in an endless loop. Im not sure if I need to buy a new HD and re-image or not. I had no success trying to enter the kick start codes either.

Thanks!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg temp.jpg (44.2 KB, 31 views)
viper510hp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 09:47 PM   #2
willieb0359

Green Screen

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper510hp View Post
I started having problems with my TiVo HD so I called TiVo Customer support and they told me to Clear program information & To Do List. I figured I would do that before I did "Clear & delete everything" next. Well I did it and now the TiVo displays this screen and is in an endless loop. Im not sure if I need to buy a new HD and re-image or not. I had no success trying to enter the kick start codes either.

Thanks!!
They told me when you get the green screen it was to do with the external drive i had to run kick start 54 and test the hard drives my internal tested bad I just replaced it and thought I had it straight but now I click on recorded movies and it says it had a error playing the selection because I either did not get a signal or did not suscribe to that chanel but I know I did because I checked while it was recording so I went to system info it said I had 317 hours of hd recording space then I checked the next page and it said external drive not connected but kick start says the drive is good I replaced the e-sata cable made no differance does anyone know what else I can try short of disconnecting the drive all togeather?
willieb0359 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 10:31 PM   #3
viper510hp

I had my external drive go bad once and it caused all sorts of problems with the TiVo crashing, freezing and just acting weird. I finally unplugged the external drive and all the problems went away. I order a new MyDVR drive and it has been working fine until now. so i would unplug the drive and go see if that helps. right now i have my external hd unplugged and i have the cable card unplugged too. if i get the green screen of death then when is the best point to press the pause button and enter the kick start codes?? it does not give me much feedback on if the code was accepted or not?
Old 06-16-2013, 10:38 PM   #4
viper510hp

if i can confirm that its my internal drive then im just going to press the easy button and order a 2TB internal from DVR Dude... before i do that i wanted to confirm that just that.... another option.... i wonder if i could image by external drive and install that into the tivo and then just go by another external MyDVR drive.
Old 06-16-2013, 11:16 PM   #5
willieb0359

If I understand it right

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper510hp View Post
if i can confirm that its my internal drive then im just going to press the easy button and order a 2TB internal from DVR Dude... before i do that i wanted to confirm that just that.... another option.... i wonder if i could image by external drive and install that into the tivo and then just go by another external MyDVR drive.
If I understand it right Thr Premire XL can accept a 2 tb internal and a 2 external right? It Is the DCT748000 the internal failed the extended test it said fail 7 I have unhooked the external so by in the morning I will see if any of the recordings fail to show then I should know how to proceed
Old 06-16-2013, 11:26 PM   #6
willieb0359

this is the first prob;em I have had out of the 3 this is the newest of them I have a T800 and a TCD540040 both of those have Maxtor HD in them of course the premire gets used the most Does anyone know what the biggest hd I can put in the series 2 I listed ?
Old 06-30-2013, 07:32 PM   #7
PhillyJimbo

I just got this today on my older DirecTV TiVo. It told me not to unplug or restart, but it would then restart itself. It did this about three times, so I unplugged it for a while. When I plugged it back in, it green screened me once, then booted fine. It has worked the rest of the day. I hope it will last.

I do not have an external drive.

What's so special about three hours? Is it maybe repairing a database?
PhillyJimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 09:42 PM   #8
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by willieb0359 View Post
They told me when you get the green screen it was to do with the external drive i had to run kick start 54 and test the hard drives my internal tested bad I just replaced it and thought I had it straight but now I click on recorded movies and it says it had a error playing the selection because I either did not get a signal or did not suscribe to that chanel but I know I did because I checked while it was recording so I went to system info it said I had 317 hours of hd recording space then I checked the next page and it said external drive not connected but kick start says the drive is good I replaced the e-sata cable made no differance does anyone know what else I can try short of disconnecting the drive all togeather?
I have this happen EVERY time I clone a drive, since the second-to-last cablecard firmware update rolled out (Cisco/Scientific Atlanta cards).

I believe that somehow the cablecard gets the hard drive's serial number passed along to it (but this is ONLY A THEORY).

I spent weeks trying to recovery the shows that I WAS able to watch before the clone. I even tried putting the original drive back in. But, every time I would switch between original and clone drives, my cablecard required re-authorization/pairing, and I couldn't watch my shows from EITHER drive. It should be noted, that programming that was not on a channel "pak" as part of "Advanced TV" programming survived, and I could watch them.

My THEORY, is that it is a new form of content protection, but I can't prove it, nor can I get anybody to take me seriously about it. I get told I must have done something wrong, or that there is no way the cablecard could know the drive S/N didn't match. I get this even when cloning between identical model drives.

I've been bashed and beaten-down when this happened to me, and I wasn't specific that what I determined must be going on, couldn't be proven, and thus couldn't be presented as fact.
nooneuknow is offline   Reply With Quote