TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-12-2013, 05:26 AM   #1
Ryan0751

TiVo Premiere Stuck on "A few minutes more!"

I have a TiVo Premiere that I had upgraded to a 1TB WD drive in 2010 when I bought it. This resides in my bedroom, so I don't use it as much as my main TiVo.

Last week I had turned on the news and found the TiVo stuck at "A few minutes more", so I unplugged the TiVo, and restarted it. It came back.

The next day, it did the same thing. I had also noticed that the unit was making more noise than usual, so I figured the disk was on the way out and ordered a new one (WD EURX drive).

Last night I used TivoBARS (backup and restore) to copy the old drive to the new one, booted up the system and everything was great. I noticed, however, with the system apart the noise is really the fan in the TiVo, so the disk may have never actually been bad.

Then, this morning... I turn on the new and we are back to the stuck at "Starting up, a few minutes more!". I reset it once again, and it came back up.

Any suggestions for how to fix this issue? I was thinking of doing a reset or clear but it suggests not doing this is it's paired to a cable card.
Ryan0751 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 06:48 AM   #2
steve614
what ru lookin at?

The fan may be on its death bed. Tivos will shut down when they get too hot.
Maybe you could try and run the Tivo with the cover off and see if that makes a difference?
That might give you your answer.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 08:01 AM   #3
Ryan0751

That's an interesting theory. The fan seems to make most noise when you first turn it on, but then later when they spin down it gets quiet, but seems to still be running.

If it shut down though, why when I turn on the TV is it trying to boot back up?
Old 06-12-2013, 05:32 PM   #4
steve614
what ru lookin at?

I just assumed you happened to turn on your TV when the Tivo was booting up.

Another thought came to mind.

You say your Tivo gets stuck on the "Welcome, powering up" screen and does not make it to "Just a few minutes more"?

OR

Is it in a reboot loop, where it is constantly going from "Welcome, powering up" to "Just a few minutes more", and then repeating the process over and over?

Knowing which of these situations is the case for you will help diagnose what the problem could be.

F*CK CANCER!

Last edited by steve614 : 06-12-2013 at 05:38 PM.
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 06:10 PM   #5
Ryan0751

Well, if I wait in this state, it never seems to come up. It's always at the "just a few minutes more" screen.
Old 06-12-2013, 06:32 PM   #6
Ryan0751

Things are getting a bit stranger. So this morning, before work, I tried to do a reset (clearing guide data, but not the cable card pairing). TiVO said that it would take up to an hour, and I shut the TV off and left for the day.

My system in the bedroom is pretty simple, I have a Samsung 40" TV, the TiVO, an apple TV, and an HDMI switch to switch those devices to the TV from a closet, and the TV outputs SPDIF to a Bose system for the audio.

When I came home from work, I saw the dreaded "Just a few minutes more!" screen. I decided to wait before power-cycling the box. It then came up with the "Deleting all info, this could take up to an hour" screen. About 20 minutes later, it rebooted, and actually DID come back up.

So I don't know if it's restarting all the time, or if somehow shutting the TV off is freaking out the TiVO. That would be strange since I haven't changed anything in the setup for a few years.
Old 06-13-2013, 05:57 AM   #7
ggieseke

wdidle3 issue?
ggieseke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 08:10 AM   #8
Ryan0751

Isn't that only for Tivo Series 3?

So I watched the TiVo last night and left it on until bed time. This morning, it was in the same state when I turned it on "Please wait a few..." then "One Moment" then it was back up.

It's as if shutting off my TV and HDMI switch is suddenly causing an issue with the box.

I'm doing an experiment today where I only shut the TV off (not the HDMI switch) and will see if it's still up tonight when I get home.
Old 06-13-2013, 06:41 PM   #9
Ryan0751

So I left the HDMI switch between the TV and the Tivo up all day, and when I came home and turned on the TV, the TiVo was still up and running. So, I shut off the HDMI switch and went and did some other stuff.

When I came back and switch on the HDMI switch and the TV, the TiVO was back at the "A few minutes more!" screen.

I don't know what else to do. Buy a new one? Ugh.
Old 06-13-2013, 07:18 PM   #10
willieb0359

I have the same problem but mine does it from a cold start and from being on all day I ran kick start with the keys 54 to test the hard drives and extender and 57 whick gives you the green screen and says it may take up to 3 hours made no difference it is still stuck in a loop my hard drive failed the extended test so I am looking for a image to replace the hard drive does anyone know where I can get one?
willieb0359 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 07:50 PM   #11
willieb0359

TCD748000 Premiere XL HD Failure

Thank you for the help on the image. what would be the best way to copy this to the new drive? I want order a new green drive for it what do you suggest the best drive for it is . With the Wdidle3 problem is WD still the best drive for this unit My Series 2 have Maxtor in them does it have to be a green or an AV drive or is that just a way to save power in use I know windows but this Linux is all greek to me .
Old 06-14-2013, 05:24 AM   #12
Ryan0751

The "EURX" Western Digital's are "green drives", which are optimized for HD video for DVR's and such. That is what I bought.

The easier tool for copying the drive (in Windows) is "TivoBARS.
Old 06-14-2013, 07:51 AM   #13
ggieseke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan0751 View Post
The "EURX" Western Digital's are "green drives", which are optimized for HD video for DVR's and such. That is what I bought.

The easier tool for copying the drive (in Windows) is "TivoBARS.
Make that DvrBARS, but thanks for the referral.
ggieseke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 08:22 AM   #14
Ryan0751

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggieseke View Post
Make that DvrBARS, but thanks for the referral.
Oh sorry about that. Well the app looks like Tivo
Old 06-14-2013, 03:46 PM   #15
willieb0359

Works great

I just used it to reload a new hard drive it was simple and easy to use I wish it had the expand and supersize with it
Thanks for creating it for all the people that are not up on Linux
Old 06-14-2013, 04:01 PM   #16
Ryan0751

So I left my HDMI switch on and now the TiVO has not ran into this problem at all. This kind of screams to me "software bug", since it didn't happen before, and there was a software update on my box recently, and now it's happening.

I can modify my harmony remote to just not turn off the HDMI switch for now, I suppose. Crazy.
Old 06-16-2013, 09:58 PM   #17
willieb0359

Tivo Customer Service told me when you get the green screen it was to do with the external drive i had to run kick start 54 and test the hard drives my internal tested bad I just replaced it and thought I had it straight but now I click on recorded movies and it says it had a error playing the selection because I either did not get a signal or did not suscribe to that chanel but I know I did because I checked while it was recording so I went to system info it said I had 317 hours of hd recording space then I checked the next page and it said external drive not connected but kick start says the drive is good I replaced the e-sata cable made no differance does anyone know what else I can try short of disconnecting the drive all togeather?
Old 06-17-2013, 08:49 PM   #18
Ryan0751

My tivo has been up for 5 days now without a problem... I just left the hdmi switch on this whole time.

I logged a support request. Sounds like a bug to me.
Old 07-17-2013, 03:10 PM   #19
ILuvTIVO

I just began having this problem. I used to connect my TiVo to my TV through an audio receiver. I now am connecting it directly to the TV HDMI and this problem is occurring. If the TV is on, it works perfectly. Within minutes of shutting the TV off (a Samsung), the box reboots and holds until you turn the TV back on. It then finishes rebooting if you wait.

I switched TiVos with my bedroom box, thinking it could be the device, and the same thing happened. Obviously there's something going on related to the TV itself, so I will have to explore the TV setup to see if I can do something to stop it.

Any other suggestions?

Joel
Old 07-17-2013, 03:23 PM   #20
Ryan0751

It sounds like they introduced a bug with HDMI. What I ended up doing was just leaving my HDMI switch on.
Old 07-17-2013, 03:57 PM   #21
ILuvTIVO

My problem is that I don't have a separate HDMI switch. My TV has three HDMI inputs and it is plugged into one of the inputs. I will probably try to switch inputs and see if it makes a difference.
Old 07-17-2013, 05:26 PM   #22
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILuvTIVO View Post
I just began having this problem. I used to connect my TiVo to my TV through an audio receiver. I now am connecting it directly to the TV HDMI and this problem is occurring. If the TV is on, it works perfectly. Within minutes of shutting the TV off (a Samsung), the box reboots and holds until you turn the TV back on. It then finishes rebooting if you wait.

I switched TiVos with my bedroom box, thinking it could be the device, and the same thing happened. Obviously there's something going on related to the TV itself, so I will have to explore the TV setup to see if I can do something to stop it.

Any other suggestions?

Joel
Do you have anything plugged into a USB port on the TV that might affect the TiVO?

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is online now   Reply With Quote