TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-14-2013, 09:59 PM   #1
DOBE

Why so difficult to use TIVO with Comcast

The answers to my question must be in FAQ but I can't find the information.

I'm considering leaving DISH to go to Xfinity/Comcast. I want the Premiere XL4 because Comcast DVR's are way behind the times. I'm in Sacramento. I called Comcast and they said TIVO is not compatible with the their system. From what I can tell from reading, that not true.

Is there somewhere I can find the steps needed to use TIVO with Comcast. Obviously, Comcast needs to cooperate or it won't work. How do I make them cooperate?

I'm assuming I purchase (not lease) the TIVO for $399. I then pay a monthly fee ($15) or lifetime ($100) to TIVO. Comcast shouldn't charge me for a receiver or for leasing equipment but I need to plug the TIVO into the Comcast system -- somehow?

I then pay Comcast for the programming only? How do I get the correct cable card? It seems like a big disadvantage for TIVO that Comcast doesn't cooperate.

Also, since this would be a new service how does Comcast do the install with TIVO's equipment. I must be missing something. It can't be this difficult to get TIVO to work with Xfinity/Comcast?

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks.
DOBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 10:56 PM   #2
aadam101
Future Prez of ABC

Not only is compatible but they also have a Comcast Xfinity app on Tivo. You need go to your local office and pickup a cable card in order for it to work. Be prepared to spend several hours of your life talking to one clueless rep after another as they try to get the card activated.
Old 06-14-2013, 11:38 PM   #3
caddyroger

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOBE View Post
The answers to my question must be in FAQ but I can't find the information.

I'm considering leaving DISH to go to Xfinity/Comcast. I want the Premiere XL4 because Comcast DVR's are way behind the times. I'm in Sacramento. I called Comcast and they said TIVO is not compatible with the their system. From what I can tell from reading, that not true.

Is there somewhere I can find the steps needed to use TIVO with Comcast. Obviously, Comcast needs to cooperate or it won't work. How do I make them cooperate?

I'm assuming I purchase (not lease) the TIVO for $399. I then pay a monthly fee ($15) or lifetime ($100) to TIVO. Comcast shouldn't charge me for a receiver or for leasing equipment but I need to plug the TIVO into the Comcast system -- somehow?

I then pay Comcast for the programming only? How do I get the correct cable card? It seems like a big disadvantage for TIVO that Comcast doesn't cooperate.

Also, since this would be a new service how does Comcast do the install with TIVO's equipment. I must be missing something. It can't be this difficult to get TIVO to work with Xfinity/Comcast?

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Tivo does work comcast cable.
I have had 4 different tivos with Comcast. I am using the tivo elite right now. All I had to do is go to the comcast office wait in line for about 10 to 15 minutes. When I got to the rep I just said I need a cable card. 2 minutes later I was walking out the door with the card. When I got home pop in the card and went to the pairing screen called the special cable card number and gave the rep the numbers. 2 min later I all of my channels was working ok. In all about 5 min.
I hate people that says all Comcast reps are clueless. They are some just like they are clueless posters here.
Old 06-15-2013, 07:32 AM   #4

It isn't rocket science. Just buy a TiVo and then call Comcast and arrange for an installation. If you get a clueless rep then just ask for a different rep or hang up and call back. When the installer arrives, they pair the cable card to the TiVo and your good to go.
9300170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 07:42 AM   #5
Smiles3usa

It works

Lifetime on a new XL4 is 500, not 100. And, if you are going to spend @900 for the box (with the service), the additional 40. for the extended warranty might not be a bad idea either.

Comcast service works great with Tivo. If, however, this is your first time using Comcast, it generally requires a truck roll to your home to connect the service. The good news is that for new customers the installation is, generally, free -- as is the best rate. You will have to go through the getting started screen before the technicians comes to your home to install the cable and s/he will then install the cable card and get it paired for you too. As a new customer, Comcast does bend over backwards--at least in my area, it seems so.

Alternatively, you could get the Comcast service, have it installed at your place, then buy the Tivo and exchange your Comcast box for a M-card and do it yourself. I, prefer the lazy way -- especially since it would be free
Smiles3usa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 10:30 AM   #6
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

It's not hard at all, for any existing customer the process is:
*Buy Tivo (a current model) and sign up for the appropriate service level or lifetime
*Pick up a CableCARD at the local office
*Self-install the CableCARD at home
*Enjoy

Many folks are able to do that, but with you being a new customer, yes a truck roll is part of the process, but it's a N/C truck roll and they can make sure everything is fine and handle the CableCard install as needed, but set up that Tivo first. The Tivo isn't required, a Comcast tech can do an install and testing without the Tivo there and just a cable ready TV, it'll have limited channels, but it will be testable.

The rep that said Tivo wasn't compatible was just clueless.
Old 06-15-2013, 11:11 AM   #7
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianebrat View Post
Many folks are able to do that, but with you being a new customer, yes a truck roll is part of the process
Any customer can self-install as long as Comcast has cable running to the house, either new or existing. No need for a truck roll.
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 01:32 PM   #8
celtic pride

The thing that stuck in my mind with what you wrote is $100.00 for lifetime,where the heck did you get the idea that lifetime service was only $100.00 instead of $499.00?.Anyway if you still decide to get the tivo premeire despite the high lifetime service price, you will love it! good luck ! BTW if you ever get a 2nd tivo premiere the liftime service on that one is reduced $100.00 to $399.00.
celtic pride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 02:16 PM   #9
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post
Any customer can self-install as long as Comcast has cable running to the house, either new or existing. No need for a truck roll.
While I agree in general, I can also see the point of a N/C truck roll when the current resident does not have Comcast service, who knows what you'll find inside, cut wires, etc, I'd want a tech sent on the install.
Old 06-15-2013, 07:15 PM   #10
AMike

Comcast has been extremely compatible with my Tivos (knock on wood). I have had minimal issue setting up my multiple Tivos with Comcast myself without a truck roll. The only thing that has occurred was a bad cable card which I had swapped out. I just know when I go to the local office, I need to come with patience as the lines are lengthy since they only staff 3 people max at a time.
1-TiVo Premiere XL4
1-TiVo Mini
AMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 10:14 AM   #11
moedaman

Quote:
Do you think that Comcast would turn on the service for a new customer without a truck roll though? I don't.

Edit: I missed your reply on the other thread. Comcast really allowed someone to to do that? That sure doesn't sound like them. The thing about Comcast is that every office often acts differently. One may allow it, but another may require a truck roll. Just look at the different answers you get regarding cable cards. And CC self-installs are there by law.

Last edited by moedaman : 06-16-2013 at 10:23 AM.
moedaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 10:21 AM   #12
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

Yes, they will and have - this happens all the time for new Comcast customers in apartments frex. My daughter got a self-install kit shipped (without the card but with a basic STB) then went to the local office to pick up a card. No tech needed.
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 03:55 PM   #13
moedaman

Quote:
Yes, they will and have - this happens all the time for new Comcast customers in apartments frex. My daughter got a self-install kit shipped (without the card but with a basic STB) then went to the local office to pick up a card. No tech needed.
Thanks for the info. It sucks to find this out now though. My mother-in-law had Comcast install internet and tv at the apartment she moved into last year and she ended up paying a $30 install fee for each service ($60 total). All they did was connect a cable to the wall outlet and attached it to a cable box and a modem. I could have easily done this for her.
moedaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 08:58 PM   #14
George R

It works, it may take a couple weeks and about 3 hours on the phone, but they'll finally get it right. Comcast sucks. Horrible customer service and 90% of them don't know what a cableCard is.
George R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 11:14 AM   #15
beeman65

Once you get the Comcast service ordered and your Tivo set up, the Cable Card part comes next. This experience is different for everyone. For me, I have two cable cards through them and installing/setting up both cards was painless. Other people have bad stories.

For me, I just went to the local Comcast office and told them I have a Tivo and wanted a cable card. The worker grabbed one, associated it with my account, and gave it to me in a Self Install Booklet with instructions. Once home, I put the Cable Card in my Tivo and followed those directions until I got to the screen with all the Cable Card details on it. The self install kit directed me to call 1-877-405-2298. This is Comcast's Cable Card Activation Line. These people know what a Cable Card is and will understand your request. I would not call 1-800-Comcast. Both time I have called, someone answered by the third ring. They verify your account and then you read back this information to them:

Tivo Host ID:
Data ID:
Unit Address:
Card Serial Number:

Then they attempt to activate and pair the Tivo and card together. I never had any problems and was off the phone within five minutes. If they do have problems, they will schedule a tech to come to your house. They will tell you it can take 45 minutes for all your channels to appear and for OnDemand to work, but I have never had to wait more than one minute.
beeman65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 11:39 AM   #16
pdhenry
Every Day's Saturday

Quote:
Originally Posted by aadam101 View Post
Not only is compatible but they also have a Comcast Xfinity app on Tivo.
It's not available in all areas; I don't know whether the OP can access the app (I can't).

The rationale for "Not compatible" typically is that you can't watch PPV/OnDemand via a TiVo. Might or might not be an issue for some.
pdhenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 11:50 AM   #17
WhiskeyTango

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdhenry View Post
It's not available in all areas; I don't know whether the OP can access the app (I can't).

The rationale for "Not compatible" typically is that you can't watch PPV/OnDemand via a TiVo. Might or might not be an issue for some.
You CAN watch PPV on a Tivo. I don't know why so many people have that wrong.
WhiskeyTango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 01:25 PM   #18
pdhenry
Every Day's Saturday

How do you do that?

Are you referring to PPV or OnDemand?
Old 06-17-2013, 01:46 PM   #19
WhiskeyTango

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdhenry View Post
How do you do that?

Are you referring to PPV or OnDemand?
PPV. Pick up the phone and call the cable company to order whatever event it is that you want to order. They authorize the channel, just like if you were ordering HBO.
Old 06-17-2013, 05:03 PM   #20
pdhenry
Every Day's Saturday

Is that the same process as when you have a Comcast STB?
Old 06-17-2013, 05:24 PM   #21
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeyTango View Post
You CAN watch PPV on a Tivo. I don't know why so many people have that wrong.
Because they are associating PPV directly with OnDemand, and you can't do OnDemand on all the boxes or services, I'm not saying they're right, just that they connect the two without realizing they're not the same.

In more than a few markets you can do OnDemand now with Comcast, but not other providers. It never bothered me, I don't do PPV or OnDemand.
Old 06-17-2013, 07:08 PM   #22
kdmorse

Honestly, I didn't even know non-OnDemand PPV even still existed... In fully OnDemand enabled markets, I thought it had been killed off entirely.

Or if it still exists (which it obviously does)... I've heard/seen no mention of it for years...
kdmorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 07:15 PM   #23
WhiskeyTango

PPV isn't going anywhere as long as it remains the big money maker for boxing, MMA, and wrestling which are basically the only events left on PPV.
Old 06-18-2013, 10:44 PM   #24
Bigg

It's REALLY easy. You just put the card in, and if you call the specific number for CableCard, it takes like 5 minutes. Mine lost sync once (when it was in the MCE PC), and a call got it re-synced. I moved into an apartment, and I did that fully self-install (Comcast was already connected to that apartment), and the same for the house I'm living in now. We had two truck rolls, but neither were because of issues with the TiVo, it's the only part that's been flawless. In most places, Comcast will already be connected, since they are the only cable company, in my area we're overbuilt, so it's a 50/50 shot (maybe more like 60/40 since more people have Comcast) when moving into a new place which one is connected.
Parents: XFinity Motorola AnyRoom DVR
80 HR Series 2 Lifetime 4/11/04 DEAD as of 11/2010
Bigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 04:45 PM   #25
CharlesH

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeyTango View Post
PPV isn't going anywhere as long as it remains the big money maker for boxing, MMA, and wrestling which are basically the only events left on PPV.
My understanding is that there are two types of PPV:

1) Fixed channels that you are only authorized to receive for the duration of the particular program. With this kind of PPV, there is no problem enabling it with a call to a customer service person, and they tell you to tune to channel NNN at a particular time. This is like paying for a premium channel.

2) PPV that uses the OnDemand mechanism. This uses a two-way dynamic channel allocation scheme. Until recently, this was only supported on cable company-provided set top boxes, but now it is available from some cable providers in some areas with certain TiVo models, using the Internet for upstream command path. There is no channel you can tune to if your device does not support the onDemand protocol, so I don't see how the call-in method could work with this.
CharlesH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 07:54 PM   #26
WhiskeyTango

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesH View Post
My understanding is that there are two types of PPV:

1) Fixed channels that you are only authorized to receive for the duration of the particular program. With this kind of PPV, there is no problem enabling it with a call to a customer service person, and they tell you to tune to channel NNN at a particular time. This is like paying for a premium channel.
That is PPV that I described.

Quote:
Pay-per-view (PPV) provides a service by which a television audience can purchase events to view via private telecast. The broadcaster shows the event at the same time to everyone ordering it (as opposed to video-on-demand systems, which allow viewers to see recorded broadcasts at any time). Events can be purchased using an on-screen guide, an automated telephone system, or through a live customer service representative.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesH View Post
2) PPV that uses the OnDemand mechanism. This uses a two-way dynamic channel allocation scheme. Until recently, this was only supported on cable company-provided set top boxes, but now it is available from some cable providers in some areas with certain TiVo models, using the Internet for upstream command path. There is no channel you can tune to if your device does not support the onDemand protocol, so I don't see how the call-in method could work with this.
That is OnDemand as you pointed out. Whether it's pay or free, it's still OnDemand which Tivo, generally, does not support. So no, the call in method wouldn't work.