TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-12-2013, 11:55 AM   #1
voripteth
User Advocate

Big Grin So You Think You Can Dance - Season 10

This thread is for episode discussion of Season 10.

Any bets that Fik-shun is this year's Cyrus?
voripteth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 11:56 AM   #2
Lee 2.0
Hoopy frood

They seem pretty happy with him so far.

I like Cyrus's ex.
Lee 2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 03:08 PM   #3
gschrock

I actually went to half a day's taping of the Detroit auditions earlier this year. (Oddly, when they aired the Detroit auditions, I'm absolutely positive that what they said was day 1 was actually day 2, and what I saw on the real day 1 ended up airing as day 2). Unfortunately, I did the morning session, and wasn't able to make it back for the afternoon session, so most of what I saw wasn't actually on the air (although there was a little, such as the grandmother doing gangnum style (or however that's spelled)). Was pretty neat to see the process behind what was going on. In the morning, they start with all the dancers for the day going up in groups of 10, and one by one doing a little bit of their stuff (to a mind-numbing repeat of that Chris Brown song that's made it's appearance a few times during what's aired). After that, they got no feedback, but just a go/no-go from the judges. I'd say on average about 3 of every 10 people got through to do their solos. (I lost track of how many groups of 10 they did, but I'd guess around 15 or so).

They did a handful of solo's before breaking for lunch, so I did get to see a few. Nobody in that group that I saw immediately went to vegas, but there were a couple to choreography. I'm pretty sure a couple of the people I did see during the large groups did ultimately make it to Vegas, because there's been some faces that I vaguely recognize (I've been pondering whether they guy from Detroit that had to dance twice for his life was one of those). Of course, it's been hard to tell, because it was way back in February that they did the auditions, so my memory is a bit on the vague side.

One thing I was impressed with was that for those that were doing the solos, they did actually get a fair amount of feedback from the judges, with advice on what they need to do to get better. Not all of that makes the tv show, they seem to talk longer to each person than what you see.

Fik-shun to me actually seems like he can do some of the dances outside of his style. At least, he hasn't stood out as being completely terrible in the other styles. Cyrus was always a little weak, and really got further than he probably should have.
gschrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 11:26 PM   #4
Tracy
Truly

Interesting to hear a bit about how it works. The groups of ten went in front of the actual judges that we see or was it other producer/judges?
Old 06-13-2013, 02:43 PM   #5
gschrock

The regular judges. They'd confer for a minute or two after the group had finished, and then Nigel would announce who was to stick around and who was done. It was interesting, because every now and then you'd see them put through someone that was truly pretty bad, just so they'd have some bad solos too. But there were a number of people that I was surprised one way or the other when they made their selections.

Cat was also in and out, either doing interviews with dancers, or just sitting about 15 feet away from me taking notes on people.
Old 06-13-2013, 02:59 PM   #6
zalusky

One thing I wondered is how much they really slept in those supposed grueling practice sessions? Are they really up all night or making it look worse than it is.

Frankly I consider it dangerous from the producers point of view to push them to the brink when the dancers have to count on each other.
Old 06-13-2013, 06:24 PM   #7
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalusky View Post
One thing I wondered is how much they really slept in those supposed grueling practice sessions? Are they really up all night or making it look worse than it is.

Frankly I consider it dangerous from the producers point of view to push them to the brink when the dancers have to count on each other.
When Sonya Tayeh told the dancers they had to stay up all night and practice, I wanted to reach though the TV and smack her.

I already thought it was problematic to have one sleepless night during Vegas week before the group dance; having two nights is idiotic.
Old 06-14-2013, 04:39 AM   #8
jradosh
Newlywed

Quote:
Originally Posted by gschrock View Post
Cat was also in and out, either doing interviews with dancers, or just sitting about 15 feet away from me taking notes on people.
Swooon!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by murgatroyd View Post
I already thought it was problematic to have one sleepless night during Vegas week before the group dance; having two nights is idiotic.
Irresponsible... purely for manufactured drama. Just let the dancers dance and PLEASE stop cutting away from the dancers to show judges reactions.

The animation dance-off... I enjoyed it a lot but it was so obviously a set-up. Why be "tricky" like that? The show doesn't need it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Check out
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. :)
jradosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 07:41 AM   #9
TonyD79

Quote:
Originally Posted by jradosh View Post
Swooon!!!

Irresponsible... purely for manufactured drama. Just let the dancers dance and PLEASE stop cutting away from the dancers to show judges reactions.

The animation dance-off... I enjoyed it a lot but it was so obviously a set-up. Why be "tricky" like that? The show doesn't need it.
The cut aways to judges should be done as an insert. I like to see their reactions but nit at the expense of seeing the performances.
Old 06-14-2013, 10:13 AM   #10
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyD79 View Post
The cut aways to judges should be done as an insert. I like to see their reactions but nit at the expense of seeing the performances.
Such an obvious solution, yet they won't do it.

I also wasn't thrilled about seeing the super-busy sets during Vegas week. Auditions and Vegas Week are the only chance I get to actually see the dancers without over-produced lighting crap. I don't need the giant lit parentheses. Give it a rest, people. Take it back to the early days, when it was more about the dancing.
Old 06-14-2013, 11:04 AM   #11
zalusky

Quote:
Such an obvious solution, yet they won't do it.

I also wasn't thrilled about seeing the super-busy sets during Vegas week. Auditions and Vegas Week are the only chance I get to actually see the dancers without over-produced lighting crap. I don't need the giant lit parentheses. Give it a rest, people. Take it back to the early days, when it was more about the dancing.
One reason that would not surprise me at all is that the judges reaction shots are totally unrelated. They could be for a different dancer or for a different part of the dance. They just feel like you have to have a judges smiling/teary face for a certain beat of the music.
Having an insert showing the judges face would totally show they have been gaming it. I know most other reality shows have reaction shots that are totally bogus.
Old 06-14-2013, 12:02 PM   #12
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

Quote:
One reason that would not surprise me at all is that the judges reaction shots are totally unrelated. They could be for a different dancer or for a different part of the dance. They just feel like you have to have a judges smiling/teary face for a certain beat of the music.
Having an insert showing the judges face would totally show they have been gaming it. I know most other reality shows have reaction shots that are totally bogus.
Couldn't bogus reaction shots be edited into a PNP box just as easily as real ones?
Old 06-14-2013, 12:05 PM   #13
jradosh
Newlywed

Quote:
One reason that would not surprise me at all is that the judges reaction shots are totally unrelated.
Quote:
Couldn't bogus reaction shots be edited into a PNP box just as easily as real ones?
Individual reactions could be, but an insert that kept popping up and then disappearing would be pretty annoying too. So if (as zalusky supposes) the reactions are unrelated, it would be impossible to have a continuously displayed inset of the judges that related to the dance.

And really... who cares about the reactions anyway? I can wait until the dance is over to get a summary.

Check out
. :)
jradosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 12:25 PM   #14
zalusky

Quote:
Individual reactions could be, but an insert that kept popping up and then disappearing would be pretty annoying too. So if (as zalusky supposes) the reactions are unrelated, it would be impossible to have a continuously displayed inset of the judges that related to the dance.

And really... who cares about the reactions anyway? I can wait until the dance is over to get a summary.
Took the words out of my mouth. Besides I think we would get tired of seeing them constantly in an inset. I think they do it because they think we want to somehow see others share the joy in pseudo real time.
Old 06-14-2013, 12:38 PM   #15
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

Quote:
There are a few times -- a FEW -- that seeing the judges' reactions to a dance have made the show a lot more fun.

I've posted before, so apologies in advance for sounding like a broken record, but the reaction shots for the judges' panel, in the Vegas week round during Iveta and Russell's cha-cha, that was priceless.

You had Nigel pointing them out to the other judges. You had Mia Michael's making a "touchdown" gesture. Tyce being absolutely gob-smacked. That was worth seeing. ("Cue music" at 1:30ish).

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xen...n#.UbtVVtiP3nk

Even so, how much better would it have been, if we had been able to see the judges' POV and watch the dancing the whole time?

If it isn't a special case like that, then I don't need to see the judges' reactions. I'd rather pass.
Old 06-14-2013, 01:22 PM   #16
Lee 2.0
Hoopy frood

The camera work on this show makes me want to strangle the producer.
Lee 2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 02:51 PM   #17
TonyD79

Quote:

As I said, I like the reaction shots. For a few reasons. They help catch what is good and what is bad for the viewer. They connect more. You know what is different about being at a live performance versus watching one on TV? The audience interaction. Take, for example, the funny or over the top reactions when a dancer does something funny or spectacular. The reaction of the judges adds to the feeling of being there. The Boston Marathon dance...the emotion was added to because it was shared with the dancers AND the judges. It is called empathy.

Oh, and they may be able to game the auditions and Vegas, but the audience voting shows are live, no?
Old 06-14-2013, 03:25 PM   #18
gschrock

I'm not sure the no-sleep nights are really to manufacture drama, but it's definitely to insert stress into the situation. Let's face it, part of being a dancer is going to be working on tight deadlines, under stressful situations. This gives them a chance to see how they're going to respond under that type of situation.

And the reality is, the dancers have complete control over how long they work. If they decide they've got it, they can quite and go to sleep whenever they want. Of course, they better have their routine down right if they do cut out early, because I'm willing to bet the judges get a report on who was working and for how long.
Old 06-14-2013, 11:15 PM   #19
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee 2.0 View Post
The lighting design on the main show makes me want to strangle people, too.
Old 06-17-2013, 07:10 AM   #20
Cainebj

Quote:
The lighting design on the main show makes me want to strangle people, too.
and the set design...

it's never been the same since they got rid of the original stairway sets but

why put banal blow up photos of dancers BEHIND the actual people dancing?
Cainebj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 10:25 AM   #21
jehma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee 2.0 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by voripteth View Post
This thread is for episode discussion of Season 10.

Any bets that Fik-shun is this year's Cyrus?
Yep. I was surprised how quickly he picked up all the choreography, though. I wonder if he's had any formal training.
jehma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 07:12 AM   #22
TonyTheTiger
Pro Troll Magnet

Agreed. In fact, I think he looks BETTER in the other genres than Cyrus did! He's certainly an early favorite in my house!
Old 06-19-2013, 01:03 AM   #23
Kamakzie
Are you serious bro?

Wasn't Hip hop girl on SYTYCD last season? She looks familiar..
Old 06-19-2013, 02:24 AM   #24
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamakzie View Post
Wasn't Hip hop girl on SYTYCD last season? She looks familiar..
If I'm not mistaken, she's the girl who made Shanks do a spit-take when Nigel asked her her style, and she replied "Krumping".

Oh, yeah, it's her. Mariah Spears.

Now, seeing Li'l C's face when he saw this solo for the first time? THAT would have been worth watching.

I love it when Shankman turns to Mary and says "She's <bleep>ing krumping!"

I have no idea why they didn't mention that during the audition / Vegas week shows. (I only peeked at tonight's opening, and haven't seen the whole show yet.)

She may be one of the dancers that they were alluding to at the top of the show, saying that they were taking a risk with some of the dancers. Last year they were ragging on her for not having enough vocabulary, and it was easy to see why they would throw her back into the pool so she could grow up some more.

Last edited by murgatroyd : 06-19-2013 at 02:39 AM.
murgatroyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 11:54 AM   #25
Kamakzie
Are you serious bro?

Quote:
If I'm not mistaken, she's the girl who made Shanks do a spit-take when Nigel asked her her style, and she replied "Krumping".

Oh, yeah, it's her. Mariah Spears.

Now, seeing Li'l C's face when he saw this solo for the first time? THAT would have been worth watching.

I love it when Shankman turns to Mary and says "She's <bleep>ing krumping!"

I have no idea why they didn't mention that during the audition / Vegas week shows. (I only peeked at tonight's opening, and haven't seen the whole show yet.)

She may be one of the dancers that they were alluding to at the top of the show, saying that they were taking a risk with some of the dancers. Last year they were ragging on her for not having enough vocabulary, and it was easy to see why they would throw her back into the pool so she could grow up some more.
When was she eliminated last season?
Old 06-19-2013, 12:00 PM   #26
jehma

My daughter was SO thrilled that we're starting with 3 tappers!
Old 06-19-2013, 04:20 PM   #27
mooseAndSquirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by jehma View Post
My daughter was SO thrilled that we're starting with 3 tappers!
Not me! I find tap fun and interesting for about 15 seconds, then it's just irritating. And in past seasons I don't think the tappers got very far.
mooseAndSquirrel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 05:59 PM   #28
jehma

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseAndSquirrel View Post
Not me! I find tap fun and interesting for about 15 seconds, then it's just irritating. And in past seasons I don't think the tappers got very far.
She's been tapping for 9 years, so her perspective is a little different. :-)
Old 06-20-2013, 07:34 AM   #29
Cearbhaill
Hoop diddy diddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseAndSquirrel View Post
Not me! I find tap fun and interesting for about 15 seconds, then it's just irritating.
Kind of the way I feel about the flailing angst ridden contemporary dancers.
Old 06-20-2013, 09:01 AM   #30
jehma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cearbhaill View Post
Kind of the way I feel about the flailing angst ridden contemporary dancers.
That made me laugh.