TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-09-2013, 12:30 AM   #8761
c3
TiVoholic

Check the signal level and errors on the diagnostic screen.
c3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 07:18 AM   #8762
drhankz

Quote:
Originally Posted by supasta View Post
Well, all of that and as of tonight I am right back to where I started. The same channels started with macro-blocking earlier (found on some of the recordings I had scheduled tonight), and now they are back to "Searching for signal..."

Damn.

I really don't know what the problem is. The ONLY change that I have made recently was replacing a TiVo Premiere with the TiVo Premiere 4 and TiVo Mini connected via MoCA. It worked for two weeks, stopped working, new cable card fixed it for a few days, and now right back.

Comcast won't be helpful. They will want to roll a truck.
Maybe a call to TiVo in the morning for their perspective. I think I'll start there.

Edit: I have been sitting here watching one of the problemed channels for twenty minutes. It goes from "Searching..." to a few seconds of macro-blocking intermittently. I am also having audio issues on other channels where the video is not a problem. The audio will sound mono and very, very quiet. No voices. If I change the channel and come right back the audio is fine. Hmm.
YES as C3 Said - Check the Signal Level on the TiVo Screen.

Comcast changed my Signal level without telling me and Decoding
Stopped until Comcast came out and gave me the 10db they stole
from my Signal.
drhankz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 09:30 AM   #8763
supasta

It is obviously a signal issue. But what do I say to Comcast when I call?
I have checked the signal levels on the troubled channels. The channels that display the "Searching..." message obviously have no signal. The channels with intermittent or constant blocking show levels around 62 (well below the TiVo recommended 80-100).

XBOX LIVE: fiftyfootfang
supasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 09:57 AM   #8764
drhankz

Quote:
Originally Posted by supasta View Post
It is obviously a signal issue. But what do I say to Comcast when I call?
I have checked the signal levels on the troubled channels. The channels that display the "Searching..." message obviously have no signal. The channels with intermittent or constant blocking show levels around 62 (well below the TiVo recommended 80-100).
Tell them you have a signal problem it will require a TRUCK ROLL.
drhankz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 12:58 PM   #8765
martyscholes

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
I'm shocked to learn that 2 Comcast CSRs are that clueless.
After being with Comcast for 4 years and having a Tivo since introduction (2001?), I am not so convinced the misinformation is incompetence. More than once they have been wrong about Tivo capabilities and limitations, quickly following up with information about their DVR. I mostly tune them out and everything works fine.

Around Thanksgiving of 2012 my wife and I upgraded from Series 3 HD to Premier XL4. I stopped at the local Comcast office to swap out my two S cards for a single M card. When I told the guy at the counter that I was swapping cards, he asked if I had a Tivo. I told him I did. He asked if I had to pay a monthly service fee.

I told him, "Yes. I have the same problem with my cable company."

His face reddened a little then he gave me my cards.

If Comcast misrepresents, just ignore them and move on.
martyscholes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 06:34 PM   #8766
jboy

I have a new construction with new coax, new XL4, a new cable card, and after calling the 877 number it shows downloading channel and 50%. It stays at 50% for 10 minutes or so and then displays an error messages that it cannot download the channels. They tried sending a signal to repush the card info, but it is still broke.

Since this new cable connection, how can I troubleshoot whether the issue is the card or the cable?

Thanks,

Jerry
jboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 06:42 PM   #8767
Atomic Taco
CableCARD Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by jboy View Post
I have a new construction with new coax, new XL4, a new cable card, and after calling the 877 number it shows downloading channel and 50%. It stays at 50% for 10 minutes or so and then displays an error messages that it cannot download the channels. They tried sending a signal to repush the card info, but it is still broke.

Since this new cable connection, how can I troubleshoot whether the issue is the card or the cable?

Thanks,

Jerry
Plug the TiVo directly in to the cable drop. If it still won't download, Comcast will probably need to pull a new line or give you a new CableCard.
Atomic Taco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 07:18 AM   #8768
Hi8
TiVoPro - wanabe!

Lost channels on one of my Tivo's

looking for some guidance ...

I have two Tivo's, living room, and master bedroom. We noticed that 2 channels were not working for sure on the TiVo in the MB channel 107 (current TV) and 650 (WAPPA) - and season passes for those channels had black with 0:00 mins recorded. I did a signal strength test on the missing channels and it was 100% & 95%.

The Living Room TiVo is working fine getting all channels. I Rebooted ( the MB TiVo) - powering down for 2 mins. Without any change after startup. I then did a complete Guided SetUp - When it came back up the only channels I got were locals and HBO which I subscribe to. The other thing I noticed was that when you pop the channel banner up with the right arrow - it only shows that I have one tuner. I can't arrow down to swap tuners.

( I have two cablecards one for each tuner)

I went into setup/settings and see both cablecards and the diag screens seem to report that everything is OK, I guess, I'm not really too sure what they are suppose to look like, but there are no errors - and I didn't compare to the other working TiVo I guess I should have.

I think my first call will be to Comcast to see if they can send a refresh to "re-pair" or provision the cablecards ???

can I try swapping the cablecards from my working TiVo? will they work? or are they Tivo specific?

any comments or help would be appreciated.

(3) TiVo THX HD S3
(1) Roamio - Basic 3TB
(1) PremiereXL4 & (1) TiVo Mini

Last edited by Hi8 : 06-14-2013 at 07:43 AM. Reason: changes and typos
Hi8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 08:27 AM   #8769
morac
Cat God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hi8 View Post
looking for some guidance ...

I have two Tivo's, living room, and master bedroom. We noticed that 2 channels were not working for sure on the TiVo in the MB channel 107 (current TV) and 650 (WAPPA) - and season passes for those channels had black with 0:00 mins recorded. I did a signal strength test on the missing channels and it was 100% & 95%.

The Living Room TiVo is working fine getting all channels. I Rebooted ( the MB TiVo) - powering down for 2 mins. Without any change after startup. I then did a complete Guided SetUp - When it came back up the only channels I got were locals and HBO which I subscribe to. The other thing I noticed was that when you pop the channel banner up with the right arrow - it only shows that I have one tuner. I can't arrow down to swap tuners.

( I have two cablecards one for each tuner)

I went into setup/settings and see both cablecards and the diag screens seem to report that everything is OK, I guess, I'm not really too sure what they are suppose to look like, but there are no errors - and I didn't compare to the other working TiVo I guess I should have.

I think my first call will be to Comcast to see if they can send a refresh to "re-pair" or provision the cablecards ???

can I try swapping the cablecards from my working TiVo? will they work? or are they Tivo specific?

any comments or help would be appreciated.
I'm assuming since you use 2 cards that you have an original Series 3 box. Yours is an odd problem. First thing redoing guided setup to fix to channels wouldn't have fixed the problem. Second, the fact you can get HBO means t least one of your cards is paired and working. That is assuming HBO is a digital channel in your area, but I believe Comcast finished converting everyone to a digital so that should be the case. You can test that by looking at the DVR diagnostics screen while tuned to HBO. The CC-byte should be 0x02.

I'd say tune the other tuner to HBO as well and see if it comes in, but for some reason your box thinks it only has one tuner. This happens if the second card is removed, but you said it's plugged in and showing diagnostic info. It's possible on of the cards is going bad or doing an update or something.

Swapping the cards will cause pairing info to be lost and you'll have to repair them so I wouldn't recommend it. You can remove the cards and put them back in the same slot without depairing them, but not swapping them. So you can try to reseat them and reboot and see if the second tuner comes back.

I'm not sure if you checked the Cable Card diagnostic screen, but that would be my first recommendation as it seems like one of your cards isn't working now. You might want to give TiVo a call. They might have more insight (though probably not), but I'd say either one of the cards went bad or your box is having issues.
morac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 08:41 AM   #8770
Hi8
TiVoPro - wanabe!

Quote:
Originally Posted by morac View Post
I'm assuming since you use 2 cards that you have an original Series 3 box. Yours is an odd problem. First thing redoing guided setup to fix to channels wouldn't have fixed the problem. Second, the fact you can get HBO means t least one of your cards is paired and working. That is assuming HBO is a digital channel in your area, but I believe Comcast finished converting everyone to a digital so that should be the case. You can test that by looking at the DVR diagnostics screen while tuned to HBO. The CC-byte should be 0x02.

I'd say tune the other tuner to HBO as well and see if it comes in, but for some reason your box thinks it only has one tuner. This happens if the second card is removed, but you said it's plugged in and showing diagnostic info. It's possible on of the cards is going bad or doing an update or something.

Swapping the cards will cause pairing info to be lost and you'll have to repair them so I wouldn't recommend it. You can remove the cards and put them back in the same slot without depairing them, but not swapping them. So you can try to reseat them and reboot and see if the second tuner comes back.

I'm not sure if you checked the Cable Card diagnostic screen, but that would be my first recommendation as it seems like one of your cards isn't working now. You might want to give TiVo a call. They might have more insight (though probably not), but I'd say either one of the cards went bad or your box is having issues.
Thanks for the info ... I did check the 'Cable Card diagnostic screens" everything looked the same between both cards - they both were selectable by pressing either 1 or 2 to go between screens.

The fact that I get all local channels and just the premium HBO channels is really strange.

The reason I did a GS, was that in the past I had lost channels, a bit differnt, in that the channel banner info didn't match the content, and I was told to re-due GS; and that fixed it. I suppose that they moved channels around and my TiVos didn't take the fix/change correctly. Once I did that everything was working correctly again.

I got both my TiVo's when the S3's first came out (TiVo THX HD S3)

(3) TiVo THX HD S3
(1) Roamio - Basic 3TB

Last edited by Hi8 : 06-14-2013 at 09:02 AM.
Old 06-23-2013, 03:15 PM   #8771
Hi8
TiVoPro - wanabe!

all channels are back

came back from vacation and everything is back!

(3) TiVo THX HD S3
(1) Roamio - Basic 3TB
Old 08-03-2013, 05:32 PM   #8772
mleland

Move XL4 from one account to another?

I have an XL4 with an M-card working in one city. I am moving to a place where I will be renting a room in another city.

My question is can I move my existing M-card with my XL4 or will I have to turn in the M-card when I remove the Tivo from the existing account and get a new one on the new account?

Thanks for any advice you can send my way.
mleland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 06:47 PM   #8773
Atomic Taco
CableCARD Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by mleland View Post
I have an XL4 with an M-card working in one city. I am moving to a place where I will be renting a room in another city.

My question is can I move my existing M-card with my XL4 or will I have to turn in the M-card when I remove the Tivo from the existing account and get a new one on the new account?
Been there, done this.

You need to bring the card in to a service center to get it removed from your account.

If you can get the account holder to come in with you, you can add it to their account right away.

Don't pull the card out of the TiVo while it's running and insert it back in before you plug in the TiVo.
Old 08-03-2013, 08:29 PM   #8774
mleland

Thanks for the info.

I realize that I should have provided more in my post.

Neither account is in my name.

Does this mean the best way is to remove\turn in the card with the old account holder. Then get a new m-card via a visit the new account holder?

Could I have the current account holder call in and have the m-card removed from his account and then go into a service center with the new account holder to have it added to his account?

Thanks in advance.
mleland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 10:23 PM   #8775
Atomic Taco
CableCARD Expert

Quote:
Does this mean the best way is to remove\turn in the card with the old account holder. Then get a new m-card via a visit the new account holder?
The best way is to keep the card; getting a new one will require you to activate it again. It's more of a headache than you want.
Quote:
Could I have the current account holder call in and have the m-card removed from his account and then go into a service center with the new account holder to have it added to his account?
Perhaps; I'm not really sure. I don't think the old account holder needs to be present to drop off equipment; my local FFO has an equipment drop box that's available 24/7.

Give them a call and ask. The phone lines are open 24/7, but keep in mind the more competent reps work banker's hours.
Old 08-03-2013, 11:26 PM   #8776
lpwcomp

Quote:

Thanks for any advice you can send my way.
If I understand you correctly, you and the TiVo will be in a different city and on a different cable account. If that is the case, you definitely need to turn in the card and get a new one in the new city.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 01:55 AM   #8777
tomlavelle

I lost 1/3 of my channels for 2 weeks in both of Tivos. Called Comcast, they said it was a Tivo problem and that they couldn't help me. I called Tivo, they immediately knew what the problem was and what Comcast needed to do to fix it, they called Comcast's Cablecard support team and stayed on the line while the Comcast support person walked me through long process of reading them serial numbers, host ids, and data ids for four different cable cards. After Comcast reset/re-paired the Cablecards everything was fine.
tomlavelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 05:58 PM   #8778
DJQuad
Poker Junkie

Comcast is always the problem. They have missed literally 6 appointments to fix an issue similar to yours, and I'm still waiting on them to fix it. So much for their commercials about great customer service.
DJQuad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 08:45 PM   #8779
pdhenry
Every Day's Saturday

Isn't there an on-time guarantee now? You should at least be getting some discounts because of it.
pdhenry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 08:59 PM   #8780
morac
Cat God

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdhenry View Post
Isn't there an on-time guarantee now? You should at least be getting some discounts because of it.
I believe they are supposed to give a $40 credit for a missed service call. Though they could always claim you didn't answer the phone when they called.
morac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 02:53 PM   #8781
DJQuad
Poker Junkie

Quote:
I'm not sure yet, they said they'd determine that after it's fixed.

This is for outside wiring (water damage) and burying a cable so I'm not sure if it falls under their regular guarantee or not.

I hope so because this has been going on since April...
Old 08-13-2013, 09:27 AM   #8782
pdhenry
Every Day's Saturday

A service appointment is a service appointment. At least that would be my opening argument.
pdhenry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 03:35 PM   #8783
abeln2672

Hi all! I have a Tivo HD with an M card inserted. I just got set up with new service in Indianapolis yesterday, and I already discovered that I'm getting a poor signal strength (60 and below) on many of my HD channels (ESPN, ESPN2 and a couple others in the 1500's), which is leading to frequent choppiness and drops on these stations. I am also getting a zero signal (ie, just gray screen and the "Searching" error) on many channels, including most of the channels from 2 - 25 (non-HD versions of standards like locals, ESPN, Weather, etc). I get a really solid signal (90's and above) for many other channels across the spectrum. Also, I have another TV hooked up to a Comcast digital adapter (DTA) in another room, and all my channels appear to be working from 1 - 99, including those which are completely missing on my Tivo HD with CableCard.

I called Comcast, and they told me there was a "Minor outage affecting cable boxes in my area" and that I should call back in a couple hours if things still weren't working. I honestly think this was BS, as my online Comcast account shows no outages AND the DTA in the other room is working fine.

My thought is that there's a problem with the signal coming into the room the Tivo HD is in, so I ordered a 15dB amplifier from Amazon today and will install it when it arrives on Thursday. At $20, it seems like a harmless thing to try. That being said, I was wondering if anyone else had thoughts or suggestions. Thanks in advance!
abeln2672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 04:09 PM   #8784
DJQuad
Poker Junkie

Quote:
A service appointment is a service appointment. At least that would be my opening argument.
Oh believe me it will be. I personally can't wait for Google Fiber to come to my area.
Old 08-13-2013, 04:18 PM   #8785
Atomic Taco
CableCARD Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by abeln2672 View Post
My thought is that there's a problem with the signal coming into the room the Tivo HD is in, so I ordered a 15dB amplifier from Amazon today and will install it when it arrives on Thursday.
Garbage in, garage out. If you're getting a signal with garbage, amplifying it is just going to amplify the garbage.

Cancel your order with Amazon. Test the TiVo on the outlet with the DTA, and test the DTA where the TiVo was. If both suck on the TiVo's outlet, you have a wiring problem in the walls.
Old 08-13-2013, 08:08 PM   #8786
shortys408

Just found out they were charging me for an additional outlet for my cable card. Was able to get 18 months of $12 charges credited!
shortys408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 03:03 PM   #8787
abeln2672

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic Taco View Post
Garbage in, garage out. If you're getting a signal with garbage, amplifying it is just going to amplify the garbage.

Cancel your order with Amazon. Test the TiVo on the outlet with the DTA, and test the DTA where the TiVo was. If both suck on the TiVo's outlet, you have a wiring problem in the walls.
Thanks for the quick reply! As expected, the DTA sucked on the TiVo's outlet, so there's gotta be a problem with the wiring in the walls. I'll call Comcast to schedule a truck roll, as I'm assuming that's the only solution. They totally rewired everything outside from the pole to the house when they came the other day, so that only leaves the line running to this particular outlet as the possible culprit. Ugh...I'm sure it'll take a Herculean effort to get them out here as usual...
Old 08-14-2013, 04:06 PM   #8788
lpwcomp

Quote:
Thanks for the quick reply! As expected, the DTA sucked on the TiVo's outlet, so there's gotta be a problem with the wiring in the walls. I'll call Comcast to schedule a truck roll, as I'm assuming that's the only solution. They totally rewired everything outside from the pole to the house when they came the other day, so that only leaves the line running to this particular outlet as the possible culprit. Ugh...I'm sure it'll take a Herculean effort to get them out here as usual...
+plus, unless you have the internal wiring maintenance plan, they're liable to charge you out wazoo to fix it.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 06:30 PM   #8789
Atomic Taco
CableCARD Expert

Quote:
there's gotta be a problem with the wiring in the walls. I'll call Comcast to schedule a truck roll
As lpwcomp said, they'll charge you.

Pricing varies by market, and the latest guide that my FFO has is the April 1 edition (the July edition was still not available on August 1).

I'd call what you need Installation fees - After initial installation of Service. Could be any one of the following:
$33.50 Hourly Service Charge (Custom Installation)
$32.50 Additional Outlet (new)
$30.50 Relocate Additional Outlet

Hourly service charge's fine print: Standard installations include installations up to 125 feet from existing Comcast plant, primary outlet only. Custom installations include installations which require in-wall wiring or installations in extensive drop ceilings, basements, or crawl spaces.

They also may throw the $30.50 XFINITY TV In-Home Service Visit charge at you.
Old 08-14-2013, 06:52 PM   #8790
abeln2672

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic Taco View Post
As lpwcomp said, they'll charge you.

Pricing varies by market, and the latest guide that my FFO has is the April 1 edition (the July edition was still not available on August 1).

I'd call what you need Installation fees - After initial installation of Service. Could be any one of the following:
$33.50 Hourly Service Charge (Custom Installation)
$32.50 Additional Outlet (new)
$30.50 Relocate Additional Outlet

Hourly service charge's fine print: Standard installations include installations up to 125 feet from existing Comcast plant, primary outlet only. Custom installations include installations which require in-wall wiring or installations in extensive drop ceilings, basements, or crawl spaces.

They also may throw the $30.50 XFINITY TV In-Home Service Visit charge at you.
Thanks to everyone for the replies -- TiVo users are the best! I was afraid of ridiculous charges like those above, so I didn't end up canceling the amplifier order. Like I said before, it was only $20, and Amazon's return process is pretty simple so I figured I'd give it a shot. Anyway, just wanted to report that it showed up this afternoon (a day early -- thanks Amazon) and it's working like a charm! I'm getting a signal in the high 90's on almost every channel, including those that I previously wasn't even able to tune! I installed it outside the house just in front of where the line to the problem room splits away from the other lines and enters the house. I'm sure I have a problem on that line (either inside or outside the house), but I'm renting the house anyway and this little fix is working for now so I'm happy