TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-12-2013, 07:36 PM   #1
OdepiTy

How much do you pay for your cable card?

Tried looking all over but could not find. Getting xfinity and not sure how much they charge a month for a cable card.

Does anyone know? How much does your provider charge?
OdepiTy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 07:38 PM   #2
Ennui
San Diego

Quote:
Originally Posted by OdepiTy View Post
Tried looking all over but could not find. Getting xfinity and not sure how much they charge a month for a cable card.

Does anyone know? How much does your provider charge?
COX San Diego charges $2/month for each. I have three M cards in two HD's and one Premiere.

Last edited by Ennui : 06-19-2013 at 10:49 AM.
Ennui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 08:03 PM   #3
ah30k

Fios - I have two older sCards @ $2.99 ea but when I called about upgrading to mCards they said $3.99 ea.
ah30k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 08:09 PM   #4
heyted

I have Comcast Xfinity in Florida. The first CableCARD is free with Digital Starter.
heyted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 08:19 PM   #5
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
It varies in different franchise areas because some may have franchise-controlled pricing they have to abide by. There's also a certain level of variety you'll find even in the same market, depending on the levels of service a subscriber may maintain and/or how long they've been a subscriber.

In general it tends to be about $2-$3/CableCARD except that if you have a single device that needs two cards, the second card for that device is usually no additional charge.

This cost is in addition to additional outlet fees, which again may vary based on services you subscribe to, but generally would be somewhere around $8-$10/outlet from what I've seen.

When you provide your own equipment that the CableCARD plugs into, you also end up getting a credit, usually about $2.50 per CableCARD.

I have the HD Premier XF bundle (which is basically everything, but not the one including the whole-house DVR package) and provide all my equipment and use nothing from Comcast except for a modem/voice rental. I have 6 CableCARD's that cost me $0.00 each, and have a credit for 4 of them at $2.50 each, and don't have any additional outlet charges, plus an additional $15/month credit "because I asked" after my last promotional rate had ended. And I just got a letter a week or so ago to call about there being a package offer I could select to save money.

So ultimately, the price is whatever they happen to give it to you at, and probably varies most based on which specific franchise area you're in.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
dswallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 09:11 PM   #6
MHunter1
TiVo Bug Hunter

$1.10 here in San Jose

It does vary greatly, but looking at my household's bill here in San Jose, Comcast Xfinity provides us a cable box with one sealed s-card free and charges $1.10 per month for each of the removable m-cards in our two Premiere 4/XL4/Elites, then credits $2.50 per month for "customer-owned equipment". So it looks like Comcast is actually paying us $0.30 each month for having TiVo. I'm not calling them to ask why!
MHunter1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 12:10 PM   #7
Mike1973

$2.50 here in Rochester, NY. Tuning adapter is no charge.
Mike1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 02:07 PM   #8
news4me2

I pay Verizon FIOS $3.99 per M-Card in the DC area
news4me2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 02:30 PM   #9
Dan203
Super Moderator

$2.50 each here
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 02:38 PM   #10
WhiskeyTango

One M-Card, Comcast, Free
WhiskeyTango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 03:59 PM   #11
innocentfreak

$3.99 here on FiOS.

I would also include Digital Outlet fee which on FiOS is $0, but I know some insurances charge it on top of the CC.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 04:03 PM   #12
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by dswallow View Post
This cost is in addition to additional outlet fees, which again may vary based on services you subscribe to, but generally would be somewhere around $8-$10/outlet from what I've seen.
I've seen some outrageous Additional Outlet fees posted here over the years. I'm glad for me Cox does not charge anything for additional outlets so it's just $1.99 per CableCard for me. I guess if/when TiVo releases a 6 tuner unit + Mini with dynamic tuner allocation it should provide long term savings for those paying outrageous AOL and/or CableCard fees right now because of multiple units.
Cox - Motorola CableCards & TAs
Slingbox 350 via TiVo Mini & TiVo Stream for remote viewing

moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 08:05 PM   #13
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

$1.99/month -- Mediacom
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 08:44 PM   #14
jsmeeker
Vegas Boy

I think it's $5 per month

jsmeeker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 09:49 PM   #15
smithken31100

Quote:
When you provide your own equipment that the CableCARD plugs into, you also end up getting a credit, usually about $2.50 per CableCARD.
You don't always get a credit. I have Brighthouse in Michigan, they don't include equipment in the price of their packages. If you get a cable box from them there will be a separate charge on your bill for the cable box.

I'm being charged $2.95 per month for an M-card and nothing for the tuning adapter.
Old 06-13-2013, 09:54 PM   #16
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

FiOS,
$3.99 per card, I have 5
No break for the first one, or for the 2nd in an S3

Still love the fact I can have Tivo as my DVRs
Old 06-13-2013, 11:10 PM   #17
HerronScott

I have Comcast (Xfinity) in Virginia. First CableCard free and then 2nd card in the same device is $1.15 (original S3 OLED that needs 2 CableCards). My second TiVo on the same TV (also an S3 OLED) is charged 2 x $1.15 for 2 CableCards. I also get a $2.50 credit for customer owned equipment and no outlet charge.

Scott
HerronScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 06:19 AM   #18
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by OdepiTy View Post
On Comcast you will have no idea what they will charge per card after the first (the first card should be free) until you get them. Could be anywhere from zero to $9.95 per card.

And better yet, the guy right behind you might get a different price.
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 06:52 AM   #19
jakerock
Hey ho howdy!

I think we're paying about $10 before $2.50 credit for owning our own equipment. With the first card free.
Old 06-14-2013, 07:28 AM   #20
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post
On Comcast you will have no idea what they will charge per card after the first (the first card should be free) until you get them. Could be anywhere from zero to $9.95 per card.

And better yet, the guy right behind you might get a different price.
How does Comcast get away with that? Several FCC complaints are in order.

http://support.tivo.com/ci/fattach/g...777/redirect/1
"Price CableCARDs uniformly and disclose fees prominently.
Cable operators must price CableCARD rental fees uniformly across a cable system whether the CableCARD is used in a leased set-top box or a retail device. Cable operators must prominently list the CableCARD fee as a line item both on their websites (in a manner that is readily accessible to the public) and on their annual rate cards. At a subscriber’s request, they also must provide such information orally or in writing. See 47 C.F.R. §§ 76.1205(b)(5), 76.1602(b)."

CoxInPHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 07:39 AM   #21
stujac

I have Comcast-Willow Grove. I have 2 cable cards and neither have a charge BUT...the 2nd tivo get's hit with a 2nd digital tier charge (9.95). My triple play just continues to go up; I'm at $165 now and will be at $180 if I can't cut another deal soon.
Old 06-14-2013, 08:27 AM   #22
jrtroo
User

Most likely you also have a "customer equipment credit" as well for your two boxes.
Old 06-14-2013, 08:29 AM   #23
stujac

I do.
Old 06-14-2013, 10:45 AM   #24
MrDell

Fios Cable Card

On my most recent bill from Verizon Fios there was note that said the Cable Card rental fee will increase to $4.99 per month on August 1st. That is just another way for them to increase your rates when you are locked into a 2 year agreement. They do the same with their DVR's and converter boxes also. A bunch of bandits in my opinion!!
MrDell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 12:09 PM   #25
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoxInPHX View Post
How does Comcast get away with that? Several FCC complaints are in order.

http://support.tivo.com/ci/fattach/g...777/redirect/1
"Price CableCARDs uniformly and disclose fees prominently.
Cable operators must price CableCARD rental fees uniformly across a cable system whether the CableCARD is used in a leased set-top box or a retail device. Cable operators must prominently list the CableCARD fee as a line item both on their websites (in a manner that is readily accessible to the public) and on their annual rate cards. At a subscriber’s request, they also must provide such information orally or in writing. See 47 C.F.R. §§ 76.1205(b)(5), 76.1602(b)."
Yeah been there done that, went nowhere. Others have filed complaints about their card billing practices too. I got a phone call and a nice official letter from one of their corporate reps (with the FCC cc'd) saying it was perfectly fine to charge me a full outlet charge for a card, and apologizing for the inconsistent billing by saying that they were working on fixing that.

The bottom line with Comcast is that you'll have no idea what you're going to get charged for cards until you pick one up (if then). What they state on the rate sheet is often not applied, or they pick some other old Tivo code that works, that's why you see people posting that each card is $1.10, $1.50, full outlet charge (usually $7.45 after credit), or even free. And this happens even in the same billing area - my daughter's Tivo (that I gave her) has a $1.50 card, I have one at full outlet.

Go figure.
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 12:14 PM   #26
Thos19

$3.99 for one M-Card from Fios here in Rockland, MA.
Thos19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 10:35 PM   #27
CraigK
(unspecified)

I have two CableCards (no Comcast box). No charge for the first card (included with my cable package) and no charge for the second card in a different TiVo (included with my Digital Additional Outlet fee which is $8.75)

Also get $2.50 credit for each card (Customer-Owned Equipment).

The CableCards themselves are not listed on my bill by name.
Old 06-15-2013, 12:02 AM   #28
George Cifranci
Viva La Tivo!

I have 2 M-Card's from Time Warner Cable here in Columbus Ohio and they are charging me $5.00 a month total. So I assume $2.50 each.

TiVo S3 - (12-20-06) 318HR HD (2TB)
TiVo S2 - (06-16-04) 329HR SD (retired)
TiVo S1 - (10-03-01) 60HR SD (retired)
TV: Sony SXRD R60XBR1 HDTV
George Cifranci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 10:27 AM   #29
buscuitboy

Wink

Quote:
It varies in different franchise areas because some may have franchise-controlled pricing they have to abide by. There's also a certain level of variety you'll find even in the same market, depending on the levels of service a subscriber may maintain and/or how long they've been a subscriber.
This is pretty much what I was gonna say; it seems to vary by market. And even then, it can be different. I am in the Atlanta market & at one point, I was basically getting charged their $9.95 "outlet fees" for each cable card and then a $2.50 equipment credit. This was for cables cards above 2 (the first one was free and the 2nd one was $1.50). I only got one additional cable card at this rate.

However, I recently got a local rep who was able to somehow make my additional cable cards cost only $1.50/month. I then STILL got the $2.50 "equipment credit" for each card. I know, makes NO SENSE. I therefore then wound up getting additional cable cards. My last 4 bills have showed 6 cable cards (I had to get some S-cards for older Series 3 units). No "outlet fees" either. 5 of them are being charged a base rate of $1.50/month each ($7.50) and then a $12.50 "equipment credit" ($2.50 X 5) each month for all of them. So I guess technically Comcast is paying me to have their cable cards. I'll take it while I can.

Last edited by buscuitboy : 07-30-2013 at 07:50 AM.
buscuitboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 11:25 AM   #30
lpwcomp

Net $7.45/mo ($9.95 ADO fee - $2.50 Customer Owned Equipment Credit) for each.

The FCC apparently has absolutely no interest in actually enforcing their CableCARD regulations.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote