TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-13-2013, 03:49 PM   #1
jgkurz

Premier Tuner vs TivoHD Tuner - WITHOUT mcard

Hi Everyone,

I have a couple TivoHD's that I've used for years and until now have had little reason to change. I recently moved and no longer have access to Comcast cable. I now must use a rural cable company that does not provide cable cards. Thankfully, TiVo does have the channel guide for my new cable provider but the TivoHD only receives channel 2-99. I assume this is because the internal tuners are analog. The curious thing is that when I hook the cable directly to my newer flat panel television then run a channel scan I receive many more channels above channel 99. I'm guessing this is because most modern TV's have a built-in digital tuner for non-subscription channels. Both the Premier and TiVo HD specifications say "Analog Cable, Digital Cable (may require CableCARD)".

My question is this: If I buy the newer Premier (Not the 4 or 4XL) would it's new tuner receive more of the non-subscribed channels than the TivoHD does? Maybe like my TV does? Remember, I cannot use cable cards with my new cable company.

Thanks for commenting!

Last edited by jgkurz : 06-13-2013 at 04:09 PM.
jgkurz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 04:34 PM   #2
atmuscarella

You should identify the cable company and where you are others might have experience with them.

The Premiere can receive cable channels broadcast in the MPEG 4 format that the TiVo HD can not but I find it hard to believe that a small cable company that doesn't even provide cable cards has converted to that. So I would guess the Premiere will receive the same channels as the TiVo HD.
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
atmuscarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 04:38 PM   #3
jgkurz

Quote:
Originally Posted by atmuscarella View Post
You should identify the cable company and where you are others might have experience with them.

The Premiere can receive cable channels broadcast in the MPEG 4 format that the TiVo HD can not but I find it hard to believe that a small cable company that doesn't even provide cable cards has converted to that. So I would guess the Premiere will receive the same channels as the TiVo HD.
Thanks for the response. I was guessing the same but I thought I'd ask the group to be sure. Take care.
jgkurz is offline   Reply With Quote