TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Mini
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-12-2013, 09:34 AM   #1
mr_smits

Status of Netflix on Mini: Any updates?

It's been a while since I've checked. Any new news or rumors about Netflix on the Mini or is it still expected to be sometime in 2013?
mr_smits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 11:17 AM   #2
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

About the same chance that dynamic tuner allocation shows up this year would be my bet, but who knows with the net apps.
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 11:54 AM   #3
mr_smits

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post
About the same chance that dynamic tuner allocation shows up this year would be my bet, but who knows with the net apps.
I thought dynamic tuner allocation was a sure bet for this fall?
Old 06-12-2013, 01:51 PM   #4
Dan203
Super Moderator

I wonder what the holdup is? The Mini supports Adobe Air just like the Premiere so the current app should work. I wonder if there is some sort of business issue hold this up?
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 04:05 PM   #5
martyscholes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
I wonder what the holdup is? The Mini supports Adobe Air just like the Premiere so the current app should work. I wonder if there is some sort of business issue hold this up?
We can speculate. Maybe the Tivo Mini can't easily stream from Netflix directly but forwarding the stream from the Premiere violates some contract agreement in place.

Or maybe the Mini has no local storage and therefore cannot remember authentication credentials, forcing it to stream from the Premiere, again violating some clause in some agreement.

I suspect the Mini is designed to digest only streams from the Premiere and nothing else.

As always, I could be wrong.
martyscholes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 04:28 PM   #6
Dan203
Super Moderator

I don't think any of those are the case. The Mini uses basically the same hardware as a Samsung Smart TV and they support Netflix. So streaming directly to the Mini via the app should be entirely possible.

I wondering if it has to do with their new developer program. Maybe they required all apps on the Mini to adhere to the rules of their new developer program and Netflix refused the terms. They have some pretty ridiculous terms for their new developer program so I could see that as a possibility. (basically you submit an app to TiVo and they own it. Plus they get to decide whether or not they even want to allow access to the app from the devices )
Old 06-13-2013, 05:46 AM   #7
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
I don't think any of those are the case. The Mini uses basically the same hardware as a Samsung Smart TV and they support Netflix. So streaming directly to the Mini via the app should be entirely possible.

I wondering if it has to do with their new developer program. Maybe they required all apps on the Mini to adhere to the rules of their new developer program and Netflix refused the terms. They have some pretty ridiculous terms for their new developer program so I could see that as a possibility. (basically you submit an app to TiVo and they own it. Plus they get to decide whether or not they even want to allow access to the app from the devices )
If that is the case, then wouldn't the upcoming new hardware platform also be missing Netflix?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

CoxInPHX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 09:46 AM   #8
mr_smits

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoxInPHX View Post
If that is the case, then wouldn't the upcoming new hardware platform also be missing Netflix?
Tivo could have different guidelines for the Mini and the main Tivo box. There's no way the main Tivo box will be sold without Netflix available by default.
Old 06-13-2013, 12:12 PM   #9
Dan203
Super Moderator

Obviously that was a guess. None of us have any idea why Netflix isn't available. I don't think it's a technical issue. But if it is then they will need to work it out by the time the new hardware hits because it will use the sister chip to the one in the Mini.
Old 12-01-2013, 11:13 AM   #10
crwalter2003

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_smits View Post
It's been a while since I've checked. Any new news or rumors about Netflix on the Mini or is it still expected to be sometime in 2013?
With the download of the fall update, Netflix is available on the mini.
Old 12-02-2013, 11:19 AM   #11
mr_smits

Quote:
Originally Posted by crwalter2003 View Post
With the download of the fall update, Netflix is available on the mini.
Thanks. I pulled the trigger on a Roamio and Mini a while back, and I've been enjoying Netflix nightly on the Mini. Auto play is great.
Old 12-06-2013, 08:14 PM   #12
kherr

Does the mini support profiles on Netflix yet ??? They showed up on my Roku3 a while back. I gave up waiting for it and Amazon Prime a few months ago ...
kherr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 11:53 PM   #13
Dan203
Super Moderator

They showed up on the Roamio for a few days and then went away, no explanation as to why.