TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-13-2013, 02:35 PM   #1
riz

Networked XL4 stream mkvs (w/no transcoding)?...

Hi all, new XL4 coming from a late 2008 TivoHD run. I never really bothered with PC to TivoHD connectivity (maybe it couldn't even really do it) but let me tell you what I am interested in, and you guys please tell me the easiest/best way to accomplish it.

I have a collection of mkv movies and simply don't understand the easiest way to use my networked TivoXL4 instead of my archaic current system which involves a cheapo viewsonic media player and a thumbdrive.

If possible, I do not want to transcode, re-encode, change this files, just want to view them via my network. pyTiVo, Tivo Desktop plus, streaming baby.. hmmm, Do they transcode? Do they need to transfer first? Anyway to just see them on my network drive and play them in original format?

Thanks,
riz
riz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 02:47 PM   #2
innocentfreak

PyTiVo will only transcode if needed. It is definitely my preferred method.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 02:57 PM   #3
moyekj

Tivos can't decode MKV container so if nothing else they will need to be re-muxed to a TiVo compatible container (transport stream or mp4). pyTivo with special ts=on setting (search pyTivo thread to understand what that means) is your best bet for doing minimum necessary to play those videos on a TiVo.
Cox - Motorola CableCards & TAs
Slingbox 350 via TiVo Mini & TiVo Stream for remote viewing

moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 04:34 PM   #4
riz

What about Dekstop plus, as it states it does support mkv (oooops no it doesn't lol oh wait it does (added))...

Upgrade the free version of TiVo Desktop software for the PC and get these additional features:

Convert shows for playback on your iPod, iPhone, iPad, Blackberry, PSP or other compatible device
Transfer compatible web videos to your TiVo box for viewing on your TV

Supported video formats include:

Windows Media Video (.wmv)
QuickTime Movie (.mov)
MPEG-4/H.264 (.mp4, .m4v, .mp4v)
MPEG-2 (.mpg, .mpeg, .mpe, .mp2, .mp2v, .mpv2)
DivX and Xvid (.avi, .divx)*

If you have downloaded videos from the Internet in any of the following formats, you can use TiVo Desktop Plus software for the PC to transfer them to your network-connected TiVoŽ box to view them on your TV:

Windows Media Video (.wmv)
QuickTime Movie (.mov)
MPEG-4/H.264 (.mp4, .m4v, .mp4v)
MPEG-2 (.mpg, .mpeg, .mpe, .mp2, .mp2v, .mpv2)
DivX or Xvid (.avi, .divx, encoded with the DivX codec, version 4 or higher, or with the Xvid codec. No other video formats are supported within .AVI files.)
Desktop can also recognize additional types of video, such as .mkv, based on other software installed on your system.

Old 05-13-2013, 04:38 PM   #5
moyekj

pyTivo is free and MUCH better.
Cox - Motorola CableCards & TAs
Slingbox 350 via TiVo Mini & TiVo Stream for remote viewing

moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 06:38 PM   #6
riz

I just don't have the patience today for pyTiVo installation which is far from straight forward. So I did a couple google searches on desktop plus and mkv and since it has a 30 day money back guarantee I bought it.

Mkv's work! I did have to clear the cache within TiVo D+ but my server was immediately viewable and so were the mkv's.

I'll certainly install pyTiVo later and have some comparisons but TiVoD+ for $15 can play mkvs and it was done in a matter of seconds

Thanks for the help guys,
riz
Old 05-13-2013, 08:45 PM   #7
riz

Well I am not in love with the transfer speed thus far. I do have a gigabit network but even the XL4 is not gigabit capable. I press play on a 2hour movie (mkv) and it transfers pretty slow. It does look like the quality is intact, no transcoding is degrading the quality (that I can tell thus far) Tomorrow I will tackle pyTiVo to compare.

edit/add: wow, it is unbearably slow, is that normal? I was hoping for a more press play and it downloads slightly faster than playing. It doesn't, does pyTiVo?

Last edited by riz : 05-13-2013 at 11:07 PM.
Old 06-12-2013, 09:27 AM   #8
sh_laura

Audials is the best ways how to convert Music, Videos and Movies.The Universal Converter for any case and every device Audials is the solution you need.
I like it and it is great.
sh_laura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 02:56 PM   #9
gonzotek
tivo_xml developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by riz View Post
Well I am not in love with the transfer speed thus far. I do have a gigabit network but even the XL4 is not gigabit capable. I press play on a 2hour movie (mkv) and it transfers pretty slow. It does look like the quality is intact, no transcoding is degrading the quality (that I can tell thus far) Tomorrow I will tackle pyTiVo to compare.

edit/add: wow, it is unbearably slow, is that normal? I was hoping for a more press play and it downloads slightly faster than playing. It doesn't, does pyTiVo?
It's slow because it is transcoding. Check the file size on the finished transfer on the TiVo, and compare it to the mkv. You may not notice a quality difference on the transcode, which is good, but it is still happening. For transfer speed, that's bad.

pyTiVo will only transcode when the source file is not compatible with TiVo. If the container is not compatible, but the codecs inside are compatible, pyTiVo will remux the codecs (which is faster than transcoding). If you use the 'ts=on' setting as advised above, and the video codec within the mkv matches what the TiVo is capable of playing, the source video will be transferred without transcoding, and at a much faster speed than TiVo Desktop.
A Web app for Roku Remote Control
gonzotek is offline   Reply With Quote