Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-02-2013, 07:17 PM   #31
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveDFW View Post
True, this issue occurs on the S3 and HD also. But because further development is practically dead for those platforms, the chance of receiving a software fix is effectively zero.
But not out of the realm of possibility. It depends on how easy the fix is.
I was surprised when TiVo added the ability for Series 2 boxes to use digital ATSC boxes.
They could have easily told customers to buy a Series 3/TivoHD box if they wanted to continue to receive OTA transmissions.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 08:53 PM   #32
DaveDFW

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve614 View Post
But not out of the realm of possibility.
Yes, I suppose anything is possible but based on experience I doubt it will never happen.

The first time I mentioned the suggestions/TA issue on the S3/HD was in June 2010, and others on TCF had reported it prior to that. One of the Tivo reps also confirmed that Tivo was aware of the issue in September 2010 and that it was "being worked on."

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...80#post8156580

I'm basing my prediction of no fix for the S3/HD due to the fact that everyone has known about this problem for more than 2.5 years and we have yet to see a resolution.

Others can continue to hope for a fix but I know one isn't coming. I am almost equally pessimistic about a fix for the Premieres.
DaveDFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 09:31 PM   #33
monkeydust

My suggestions on my Elite just stopped recorded a few weeks ago (just noticed today). Trying the disable/reboot/enable trick to see if that helps. Haven't had this happen previously.
monkeydust is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 09:25 PM   #34
hazelnus111

Had to set my TA on a timer

I have two Tivos and Charter service. I have had a TiVo HD with Tuning Adapter for three years and have had no significant problems with Suggestions. I added a TiVo premiere 4 two months ago and have had no suggestions recording on it since hooking it up. I tried the sequence of turning off recording suggestions option and then back on with a reboot after each change and no suggestions recording days after this.

So, yesterday, I bought a timer and set my tuning adapter to turn off between 2:45am and 7:55am. This morning, in there TiVo suggestions list, there were 30 or so suggestions. They started recording already despite the tuning adapter being connected. So, I'm convinced this is a prevention of suggestions from populating on the Tivo. I'm happy that's where the block is occurring because at least there is a fairly easy workaround. But, its still ridiculous that Tivo can't get a software fix out since this is a long-standing problem. I wonder how those will work on the TiVo Premiere boxes that Charter is having TiVo build for them.
hazelnus111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 08:42 PM   #35
monkeydust

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeydust View Post
My suggestions on my Elite just stopped recorded a few weeks ago (just noticed today). Trying the disable/reboot/enable trick to see if that helps. Haven't had this happen previously.
Did not fix it. Has worked fine in the last year until a few weeks ago. What the heck?
Old 02-06-2013, 07:37 PM   #36
Mr. Coffee

We had a Series 3 (never used a tuning adapter with it, so it recorded suggestions.)

Also have a Premiere (the original) with tuning adapter, and it records suggestions fine.

Just replaced the Series 3 with a Premiere 4 (and tuning adapter), and it doesn't seem to record suggestions.

Last edited by Mr. Coffee : 02-06-2013 at 07:38 PM. Reason: corrected grammar
Mr. Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 09:10 PM   #37
monkeydust

Quote:
Did not fix it. Has worked fine in the last year until a few weeks ago. What the heck?
Still no new suggestions. My series 3 which is also using a tuning adapter is still recording suggestions.

I went ahead and cleared my old suggestions (170 total) off my Elite and guess ill try some TA and TiVo reboots and settings changes over the next few days to see if it helps.
Old 02-09-2013, 02:29 PM   #38
monkeydust

Quote:
Still no new suggestions. My series 3 which is also using a tuning adapter is still recording suggestions.

I went ahead and cleared my old suggestions (170 total) off my Elite and guess ill try some TA and TiVo reboots and settings changes over the next few days to see if it helps.
Anybody got any "suggestions" for me? My suggestions worked fine on my Elite for 10 months and now nothing. Still working fine with my S3 w/the same TA. When I view Suggestions in Find TV, it doesn't list any but shows me everything I gave thumbs up and down to. Done plenty of unplugging, unsetting/setting, rebooting and not sure what else to try.
Old 02-09-2013, 02:36 PM   #39
MeInDallas

Quote:
Anybody got any "suggestions" for me? My suggestions worked fine on my Elite for 10 months and now nothing. Still working fine with my S3 w/the same TA. When I view Suggestions in Find TV, it doesn't list any but shows me everything I gave thumbs up and down to. Done plenty of unplugging, unsetting/setting, rebooting and not sure what else to try.
Try tuning your channels to ones that arent on SDV. Then unplug the USB from the tuning adapter but dont unplug the tuning adapter from the power. Wait a few hours and see if the suggestions populate.
MeInDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 10:35 AM   #40
PAP

I have had the "no suggestions" problem for months. Had no idea why it wasn't working. In the last couple months I've been getting "connect to the tivo service" messages and now S03 errors and cannot connect at all. I've tried rebooting, jumpstart 57 and nothing is working. So in my case I'm come to the assumption that my hard drive is screwed up and I just ordered a new one.

I don't know if this is related or not, but my theory until I came across this thread today is that somehow my drive was listed as full so suggestions would not populate.

??
PAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 12:26 PM   #41
DaveDFW

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAP View Post
I have had the "no suggestions" problem for months. Had no idea why it wasn't working. In the last couple months I've been getting "connect to the tivo service" messages and now S03 errors and cannot connect at all. I've tried rebooting, jumpstart 57 and nothing is working. So in my case I'm come to the assumption that my hard drive is screwed up and I just ordered a new one.

I don't know if this is related or not, but my theory until I came across this thread today is that somehow my drive was listed as full so suggestions would not populate.

??
It sounds like you have an S3 or an HD. There's a well-known bug with those models when attached to tuning adapters which results in Tivo garbage collection processes failing to complete, which eventually leads to no guide data.

If you have an S3 or HD, there are two workarounds for the GC issue.

1. You can simply leave the tuning adapter unplugged until the GC process on the system information screen shows a current date.
2. You can disconnect the Tivo's internet connection until the GC process on the system information screen shows a current date.

There are several threads on this issue in the S3/HD forum, but here is one from July 2011:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...=connect+guide

The commonality between the "no suggestions" issue and the "GC failure" issue is the tuning adapter. The problem for those of us on SDV systems is that the tuning adapter is not optional--without the tuning adapter we cannot properly use our cable service. But as soon as we plug a tuning adapter into a Tivo all sorts of things break.

Last edited by DaveDFW : 02-12-2013 at 12:32 PM.
Old 02-17-2013, 07:55 AM   #42
monkeydust

Ok, I have done what has been mentioned here and have suggestions again (timer turning of TA between 1-6am). Anyway to not display the TA message that it has been connected disconnected every time?
Old 02-17-2013, 10:12 AM   #43
Teeps

Quote:
Ok, I have done what has been mentioned here and have suggestions again (timer turning of TA between 1-6am). Anyway to not display the TA message that it has been connected disconnected every time?
Not that I have found.
Teeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 03:02 PM   #44
monkeydust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teeps View Post
Not that I have found.
Ok, thanks. I looked around to turn of warning messages but couldn't find anyplace to that that. Another similar issue I have is the warning message about the Tivo not being able to tune into the channel it is on and it says it is Trying Again. Well, it looks fine to me so the only thing that is a problem is the damn message telling me that it is having some problem that I am not witnessing.

So, I had tried switching my TA's between my Elite (no suggestions) and my S3 (suggestions) to see if I would start getting them on my Elite. That didn't work. But, it looks like they are no longer working on my S3 now either (they had been working for years up until then and my Elite had been working for 10 months until mid-January).

Just changed my network connection on my Elite from the Tivo wireless adapter to a LAN connection to see if that makes any difference. If not, I'll plug my timer back into the TA to let it go off between 1-6am daily.
Old 02-17-2013, 11:38 PM   #45
ahwman

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveDFW View Post
I don't really suspect my TA is faulty, especially since this is exactly the same way in which S3 and HD suggestions fail with the same workaround. To me, this is obviously a Tivo software issue.

This is also not a speculative tuning issue. Once the suggestions list has been populated with the TA disconnected, the Tivo successfully records suggestions on SDV channels once the TA is reconnected. I'm watching my suggestions list slowly decrease as suggestions have been recording all weekend.

Either Tivo has broken the S4 suggestion programming or Time-Warner in North Texas is doing something that isn't being done in other markets.
It's not your tuning adapter. I have two brand new XL4's each with brand new Motorola tuning adapters (BrightHouse cable). Same exact behavior as you describe. Zero suggestions with TA's on, so I've had to resort to putting my TA's on a timer (set to turn off from 3am to 6am). I have an open case with TiVo escalated to a level 2 tech and still have yet to bear back on the issue. Honestly, I think they have no idea how to fix this bug which is why they pass the buck onto the cable company. As a brand new TiVo customer with over $1,600 invested, I'm pretty disappointed with what I see, on top of the random reboots on both TiVo's...
ahwman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 10:41 AM   #46
Teeps

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahwman View Post
It's not your tuning adapter. I have two brand new XL4's each with brand new Motorola tuning adapters (BrightHouse cable). Same exact behavior as you describe. Zero suggestions with TA's on, so I've had to resort to putting my TA's on a timer (set to turn off from 3am to 6am). I have an open case with TiVo escalated to a level 2 tech and still have yet to bear back on the issue. Honestly, I think they have no idea how to fix this bug which is why they pass the buck onto the cable company. As a brand new TiVo customer with over $1,600 invested, I'm pretty disappointed with what I see, on top of the random reboots on both TiVo's...
Plus 1 on TiVo has no clue as to how to fix this bug.
I would not be surprised if a fix is just not possible...
Old 02-18-2013, 03:39 PM   #47
monkeydust

Quote:
Just changed my network connection on my Elite from the Tivo wireless adapter to a LAN connection to see if that makes any difference. If not, I'll plug my timer back into the TA to let it go off between 1-6am daily.
Well, I got a full set of suggestions today after I switched to a LAN connection yesterday and kept my TA plugged in all night. Hopefully this will continue so I don't have to use the TA timer trick.
Old 02-19-2013, 08:48 AM   #48
stevewjackson
Steve W. Jackson

Quote:
Well, I got a full set of suggestions today after I switched to a LAN connection yesterday and kept my TA plugged in all night. Hopefully this will continue so I don't have to use the TA timer trick.
Please enlighten me. I've been considering purchasing a timer, but if there's an alternative then I might be able to avoid it.

In particular, *which* TiVo wireless adapter were you using? I'm using a free TiVo Wireless N adapter that was part of the promo package when I bought my Premiere direct from TiVo. It's effectively just a bridge, but it's theirs.

So can you be more specific as to what you had and what you switched to for a "LAN connection" instead?
stevewjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 10:04 AM   #49
DaveDFW

I doubt the wireless adapter was at fault. I only use traditional wired ethernet and still experience the no-suggestions issue.

Last edited by DaveDFW : 02-19-2013 at 10:19 AM.
Old 02-19-2013, 01:22 PM   #50
monkeydust

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevewjackson View Post
Please enlighten me. I've been considering purchasing a timer, but if there's an alternative then I might be able to avoid it.

In particular, *which* TiVo wireless adapter were you using? I'm using a free TiVo Wireless N adapter that was part of the promo package when I bought my Premiere direct from TiVo. It's effectively just a bridge, but it's theirs.

So can you be more specific as to what you had and what you switched to for a "LAN connection" instead?
I was using the Tivo Wireless N adapter and I ended up running an ethernet cable through my basement to my bedroom where the Tivo Elite is located (snapper interface now).

So, I have been getting new Suggestions loaded into my list of Suggestions I see when I navigate through the Find TV menus to look at my potential list of suggestions (populated up to 2/22/2013 at the moment). I will update this thread if it continues to work or not work.

My Series suggestions are not working after I exchanged TA's with my Elite and it has a Ethernet connection too (suggestions had been populating since I got it in 2006). But, I'm not going to swap them back since I'd rather have them working on my Elite (the initial switch didn't help my Elite. Only after a couple of multi hour TA unplugs last week and the hard wired Ethernet connection over the weekend have they begun to work again on a daily basis)

I'm not ready to definitively say what has fixed what. Just posting my actions and observations.

Last edited by monkeydust : 02-19-2013 at 08:15 PM.
Old 02-21-2013, 04:25 AM   #51
monkeydust

Suggestions have not updated for the last few days so I had to put the TA back on the timer (set for off on Thu and Sun 1-6am).
Old 02-21-2013, 08:21 AM   #52
stevewjackson
Steve W. Jackson

Quote:
Suggestions have not updated for the last few days so I had to put the TA back on the timer (set for off on Thu and Sun 1-6am).
Unfortunately, that was as I expected.

So my next query is whether someone can recommend a good timer so that I can do the same in my home.
Old 02-21-2013, 11:22 AM   #53
Teeps

Quote:
Unfortunately, that was as I expected.

So my next query is whether someone can recommend a good timer so that I can do the same in my home.
I use one of these: http://www.acehardware.com/product/i...38&cagpspn=pla from Ace Hardware.

Pro
The timer has been 100% reliable in operation.
Easy to setup
Con
Limited to daily 24 hour program cycle.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pACE3-6688984dt.jpg (95.9 KB, 10 views)
Old 02-21-2013, 11:41 AM   #54
stevewjackson
Steve W. Jackson

I'd prefer something digital that will let me set at least a couple nights a week for off time. I've seen a couple while poking around at Amazon, but I thought I'd seek recommendations from some here who already have some in use.
Old 02-21-2013, 02:08 PM   #55
Teeps

Quote:
I'd prefer something digital that will let me set at least a couple nights a week for off time. I've seen a couple while poking around at Amazon, but I thought I'd seek recommendations from some here who already have some in use.
Understood.

Be sure to post up the timer you purchase.
Old 02-21-2013, 02:28 PM   #56
hazelnus111

Timer

I have been using a Westek digital timer that I purchased at Target on my Charter TA with Tivo Premiere and it's been working fine in terms of allowing suggestions to drop in. (http://www.amazon.com/Westek-TE22DHB...s=westek+timer)

However, I tried using another one on the TA with my Tivo HD that was getting some suggestions thinking that I may get more and it caused the Tivo HD to freeze every time the TA would turn back on. So, I've stopped using the timer on that TA.
hazelnus111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 11:27 AM   #57
russmd

I have a Premier, working perfectly for over a year. On 5/27/13 the Suggestions list stopped populating. Worked fine before that. Power cycling tuning adapter, restarting TIVo, forcing a network connection all did nothing.

TSN:
Manufacturer of tuning Adapter: Motorola
Cable Provider: Time Warner
Is the tuning adapter blinking? N - solid yellow
Have you replaced the tuning adapter? N
Is the tuning adapter currently connected? Y
Do you currently have a list of TiVo suggestions (we are referring to TiVo Suggestions/Thumb Ratings under Browse TV & Movies or Find Programs not the To Do List or My Shows list)? NO - just the message described previously.
Does unplugging power to the tuning adapter allow list of suggestions to build (you may need to force connections to the TiVo service)? YES. Unplugged TA last night and list repopulated when checked this morning.
Do you have any legacy units using a tuning adapter (TiVo HD, or TiVo Series3)? N
If the answer to the question above is Yes, are these units experiencing the same issue? (Y/N)

Please note that all was working fine until 5/27 (the last date a Suggestion was recorded.) Did no system changes or modifications recently that could cause this.
I called Time Warner and they were clueless, but said they resent a signal to my system. Did not resolve it.
List did populate after I unplugged the TA last night.
Also called TIVO support who said they were aware of issues with TA's but had little help.

Question - why this happened all of a sudden on 5/27? Was there an update then that caused this? Very peculiar to happen all of a sudden. Understand unplugging timer workaround but very annoying.

Thank you.
Russ
russmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 05:54 PM   #58
mrizzo80

This happened to me too recently. TiVo Elite on TWC Southwest Ohio with Cisco Tuning Adapter. Stopped getting suggestions on 4/10/2013. Never had a problem before that. Haven't had a single suggestion record since. Haven't bothered to try the unplug hack.
mrizzo80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 09:03 PM   #59
mattack

Is your Tivo very full? If it is very full, there won't be suggestions even listed (i.e. if you manually go into the suggestions list). It can take a day or more after making some space to get some suggestions listed.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 01:38 PM   #60
russmd

I also have exactly this issue on my Premier with Time Warner. Interesting that all worked perfectly for almost 2 years until mid May, 2013, when I stopped getting Suggestions. List only repopulates when TA/USB unplugged, then Suggestions record till the list runs out. Multiple calls, reboots, new TA, updated software - nothing. Why started all of a sudden in May???
TIVO techs keep blaming the cable company but this is happening across multiple companies. It's a TIVO foobar - they need to admit it and FIX IT!
russmd is offline   Reply With Quote