TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-12-2013, 12:44 PM   #1
cheesesteak
Meh.

The Doctor

The coolest superstar who ever lived - Julius Erving.

The thread title may confuse some people who'll think this is a Doctor Who thread but sports fans in my age group know who the real Doctor is. I just watched the NBA channel's hour and a half long documentary on Julius Erving titled "The Doctor". I'd heard that it was good and it was very good. Lots of rarely seen footage from his high school, college and ABA career.

Times have changed a lot. Erving was a playground legend but practically unknown during his college career at Massachussets. Stand out players get national attention in high school now. Then he was drafted by the NBA which had no national tv contract. There was no way to see him in the Philadelphia market. I only knew of him when I was a kid through Street and Smith's basketball magazine. Then one day, one of the UHF tv stations broadcast the ABA All Star game. That was the one in which he dunked from the foul line. That was the only time I saw Dr J play before he came to the Sixers.

Michael Jordan was a better player than the Doctor but was nowhere near as cool. Nobody was.

A Cheesesteak always pays its debts

Last edited by cheesesteak : 06-12-2013 at 01:09 PM.
cheesesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 01:20 PM   #2
TonyTheTiger
Pro Troll Magnet

...especially as you put it in the Now Playing forum!
Old 06-12-2013, 01:35 PM   #3
TonyD79

Julius Erving as the Doctor? LeBron James as the Master?
Old 06-12-2013, 02:34 PM   #4
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
This was a great show. I TiVo'd it for a friend who doesn't have a DVR or even cable. It was well done and interesting.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"He's a freak!! Take him apart and lose the pieces under the couch!"
betts4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 09:58 AM   #5
KenDC
Huggy Bear

I was a huge Dr. J fan and it was a good documentary, but I was expecting more for some reason. There weren't a lot of players in the live interviews. I thought the might have more. No Bird or a lot of his teammates, including Malone. Seemed like the same people over and over. Magic and Walton. One clip from Cheeks. No life clips from Jordan or LaBron or Kobe the main voices since the bird/magic generation. No dunkers from over the years.

Still, anything was great. The ABA clips were awesome, some I had never seen.
Old 06-14-2013, 11:10 AM   #6
sieglinde

Um, yeah. Should have said a name or NBA etc
Old 06-15-2013, 08:03 AM   #7
cheesesteak
Meh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenDC View Post
I was a huge Dr. J fan and it was a good documentary, but I was expecting more for some reason. There weren't a lot of players in the live interviews. I thought the might have more. No Bird or a lot of his teammates, including Malone. Seemed like the same people over and over. Magic and Walton. One clip from Cheeks. No life clips from Jordan or LaBron or Kobe the main voices since the bird/magic generation. No dunkers from over the years.

Still, anything was great. The ABA clips were awesome, some I had never seen.
I remember interviews by Billy Paultz, Bill Cunningham, World B. Free, Daryl Dawkins, Nate Archibald, ML Carr, George Gervin and a couple of others. Surprisingly, I don't remember interviews with the teammates he won his one NBA championship with, just the coach, Cunningham. Cheeks was interviewed?

I had never seen the Rucker Park summer league footage. The crowds of people sitting in the trees and on the school's roof was insane.

George McGinnis was actually the guy who saved basketball in Philadelphia. It must have been difficult for two stars like Doc and Big George to play together. Then George forgot how to shoot and his career was over. He'd shoot and everybody would yell "Brick!". It was pretty sad. He had the most unusual shot in the history of basketball.

A Cheesesteak always pays its debts

Last edited by cheesesteak : 06-15-2013 at 08:09 AM.
cheesesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 11:21 AM   #8
KenDC
Huggy Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesesteak View Post
I remember interviews by Billy Paultz, Bill Cunningham, World B. Free, Daryl Dawkins, Nate Archibald, ML Carr, George Gervin and a couple of others. Surprisingly, I don't remember interviews with the teammates he won his one NBA championship with, just the coach, Cunningham. Cheeks was interviewed?

I had never seen the Rucker Park summer league footage. The crowds of people sitting in the trees and on the school's roof was insane.

George McGinnis was actually the guy who saved basketball in Philadelphia. It must have been difficult for two stars like Doc and Big George to play together. Then George forgot how to shoot and his career was over. He'd shoot and everybody would yell "Brick!". It was pretty sad. He had the most unusual shot in the history of basketball.
Yeah, i started really following basketball during the 6er/Blazer series as a Dr. J/Sixers fan. McGinnis was easily the 1B or 1A to Julius. I think that Cheeks had like one comment. Andrew Toney, The Joneses, Moses non of them spoke.

I was also wondering if they would bring up the daughter he had that was a tennis player, Stevenson. I know it was a deadbeat dad type of situation but I think they are close now. No mention that I remember.