TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-12-2013, 09:22 AM   #1
StevesWeb
Grumpy Old Geek

Cool All Channels at 71% After New Antenna

Last weekend we replaced our outdoor TV antenna with one optimized for high-band VHF and UHF, a so called HDTV antenna. It's very nice.

Time Warner will not service our property because we have no street frontage. What we do have is a hill (since we are geeks it is Geek Hill). On top of the hill is our house. On top of our house is our new antenna. So it's OTA for us.

It was a hazy day so we could not see Mt Wilson but we set it more or less and used the TiVo to check things out. We seem to be accidentally picking up a station in Oxnard CA possibly 100 miles away. But what is odd is that only on my TiVo Premiere XL all of the channels that are usable show a signal strength of 71%.

I'm guessing my distribution amplifier is pulling up the noise floor, and this is skewing the TiVo calculations. Several HDHomerun tuners on the same amplifier show 100% on most, but not all channels, just as expected.

Our channel count went up to 133 from 106 by the way, I believe they are all ATSC. TV in the LA basin is very much multi-ethnic for obvious reasons.

Previously this Premiere did not show 71% signal level on all channels. It's just a curiosity though, as everything is working splendidly.

Our TiVo HD is on a different antenna.
StevesWeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 09:35 AM   #2
tatergator1

This is a known bug with the update. The signal meter may work for a bit, but then gets stuck on a value. The only resolution is a reboot, but you're likely to just end up with the same problem soon after reboot.
tatergator1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 09:39 AM   #3
mr_smits

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevesWeb View Post
Last weekend we replaced our outdoor TV antenna with one optimized for high-band VHF and UHF, a so called HDTV antenna. It's very nice.

Tell us about your new antenna.

What brand/model?
Did you mount in attic or is it on a pole?
mr_smits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 10:04 AM   #4
StevesWeb
Grumpy Old Geek

It's a Winegard HD7697 which is rated 60 miles VHF and 50 for UHF.

Many, many years ago I was a TV repairman and worked with antennas every day. At that time I was not impressed with Winegard antennas, but this one is verra nice.

The original turned out to be a Winegard too, with the addition of ten pounds of bird dung, but it was optimized for the older low band VHF and had a wimpy UHF section with a single pickup element. It only got 111 channels, but not reliably on a few we use.
Old 06-12-2013, 10:05 AM   #5
StevesWeb
Grumpy Old Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatergator1 View Post
This is a known bug with the update. The signal meter may work for a bit, but then gets stuck on a value. The only resolution is a reboot, but you're likely to just end up with the same problem soon after reboot.
Thanks! I guess it's trivial since the channels still work
Old 06-14-2013, 09:39 AM   #6
mr_smits

Thanks for sharing.
mr_smits is offline   Reply With Quote