TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-10-2013, 10:45 PM   #1
ssmatik

Constant reboot and hanging

I have a Premiere that is coming up on two years old. When i turned on the TV about three weeks ago I was greeted with the "Almost there" splash screen. It just sat on that until I unplugged it and replugged it in. Ever since then it has done the same thing every single day. I go to bed and all is fine but when I wake up it is back on that screen. I have to unplug and then it loads.

However, last week when I turned it on it said installing update. I went to work and when I returned 12 hours later it was still on the same screen. I unplugged it and plugged back in. It then began to constantly reboot. Tivo is starting screen and then just a few minutes screen and then back to the start screen. I unplugged it and waited 30 minutes.

When I plugged it in it installed the update and started. The next morning it was doing the round and round reboot. It does this every morning now. However, now it take a couple unplug/plugs to get it to go.

I ran the S.M.A.R.T tests and they all passed. I am on Cox cable and have an external drive attached if that matters. What would my next step be?

Thanks
ssmatik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 11:36 AM   #2
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmatik View Post
I have a Premiere that is coming up on two years old. When i turned on the TV about three weeks ago I was greeted with the "Almost there" splash screen. It just sat on that until I unplugged it and replugged it in. Ever since then it has done the same thing every single day. I go to bed and all is fine but when I wake up it is back on that screen. I have to unplug and then it loads.

However, last week when I turned it on it said installing update. I went to work and when I returned 12 hours later it was still on the same screen. I unplugged it and plugged back in. It then began to constantly reboot. Tivo is starting screen and then just a few minutes screen and then back to the start screen. I unplugged it and waited 30 minutes.

When I plugged it in it installed the update and started. The next morning it was doing the round and round reboot. It does this every morning now. However, now it take a couple unplug/plugs to get it to go.

I ran the S.M.A.R.T tests and they all passed. I am on Cox cable and have an external drive attached if that matters. What would my next step be?

Thanks
At the risk of losing all recorded shows, you could detach the external drive, then re-boot to see what happens. That's a decision only you can make...

I had an external drive (TiVo-approved) that died creating havoc with my TiVo HD. I finally bit the bullet and disconnected it, and all was well (minus any shows I had recorded)...

I realize your problem is likely update-related, but this would be the only way to determine if it's drive-related.
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 06:43 PM   #3
ssmatik

Thanks I will try that. Nothing on there that important.
One other thing, I noticed people posting logs of restarts.

How do I get this information?

Mine only restarts overnight. Never during the day.
ssmatik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 07:58 PM   #4
HomeUser

I use a Nagios a network monitor that pings the TiVo's IP address then logs and sends me a e-mail alert if several of pings are not returned. Nagios was a little difficult to setup ~10 years ago probably much easier now. I'm sure others will chime in with there favorites.

Check the e-Sata cable between the DVR and Expander for a tight connection replace if not a tight fit. A loose cable can cause the DVR to reboot. Do you have a cat that likes warm places?

Interesting that it only reboots at night. It may be a good idea to put both the DVR and Expander on the same power strip and definitely get a good Uninterpretable Power Supply. I had to get one here because at 7:45 almost every morning there is a mains power switch that caused A PC and one of my TiVo's to reboot the drop did not cause problems on other electronic devices including another TiVo plugged into the same outlet alto that may of been an early symptom of a failing PS that I had to repair a year later.
Old 06-12-2013, 03:40 PM   #5
Richard Cranium

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmatik View Post

Thanks
It's your MSOs fault. They're out to get you.

The Moose at the door should have told you.
Richard Cranium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 07:10 PM   #6
jmbach

I would check each drive hooked up to a PC and run the manufacturer diagnostic. Even if the drive passes SMART, it can still reassign sectors. It is only after a certain amount of sectors being reassigned that it toggles the SMART failing the drive. In some instances reassigning sectors loses the data in that sector. Replace the drive. If the manufacturer diagnostic recertifies the drive replace it anyway. Another program that gives you good information on the status of the drive is HDD Guardian.

Most common reboot loop issues are a bad hard drive as number one (as a cause of corrupted data) and a failing power supply as number two.
Old 06-13-2013, 07:36 PM   #7
Ryan0751

This sounds kind of like my issue... If the TiVo is up on the TV, never an issue. Then the next day, I turn on the TV and tivo is stuck.

This started happening within the last week or two.

I did run into the software update message too. I wonder if they introduced a bug?

My other premiere is working fine.
Ryan0751 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 03:22 PM   #8
willieb0359

Could also try

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bierboy View Post
At the risk of losing all recorded shows, you could detach the external drive, then re-boot to see what happens. That's a decision only you can make...

I had an external drive (TiVo-approved) that died creating havoc with my TiVo HD. I finally bit the bullet and disconnected it, and all was well (minus any shows I had recorded)...

I realize your problem is likely update-related, but this would be the only way to determine if it's drive-related.
You could power down and restart you will see a green light as soon as you see the amber light bling press pause and then with in 10 to 15 seconds press 54 let it run to run all the tests on the external drive and internal mine took 8 hours I let it run all night it told me my internal drive had problems you have nothing to loose but time
Good luck
willieb0359 is offline   Reply With Quote