TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-11-2013, 08:20 AM   #1
drebbe
Carbon Blob

Mediacom to rollout 6 tuner Pace XG1 with TiVo experience later this this year

TiVo Rolling Out to Mediacom Customers

TiVo Launch Will Deliver Both IP and Traditional VOD and Linear Content on Any Screen in the Home for Mediacom Subscribers

WASHINGTON, DC -- (Marketwired) -- 06/11/13 -- TiVo Inc. a leader in the advanced television entertainment market, and Mediacom Communications Corporation, the 8th largest cable operator in the US, today announced from the NCTA 2013 Cable show in Washington, D.C. that Mediacom has begun rollout of its TiVo offering.

[part that was uninteresting to me omitted here]
As part of its broader rollout plan for the year, Mediacom also intends to offer the 6-tuner, DOCSIS 3.0-capable Pace XG1 gateway with the TiVo experience.

Full press release here. http://investor.tivo.com/phoenix.zht...774&highlight=
drebbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 04:17 PM   #2
Dan203
Super Moderator

There was already some info leaked that TiVo will be releasing a retail 6 tuner unit this fall. Also a 4 tuner unit that supports OTA.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 04:20 PM   #3
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Hopefully by "with the TiVo experience" they're not meaning the same sort of treatment running TiVo software on a Motorola box for Comcast got.

It sounds like a potentially feature-rich environment. I sure hope that it doesn't get leashed by stupidity from the cable company wanting to prevent various features from being usable, et. al.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
dswallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 09:10 PM   #4
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
There was already some info leaked that TiVo will be releasing a retail 6 tuner unit this fall. Also a 4 tuner unit that supports OTA.
Can you provide a link?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dswallow View Post
Hopefully by "with the TiVo experience" they're not meaning the same sort of treatment running TiVo software on a Motorola box for Comcast got.

It sounds like a potentially feature-rich environment. I sure hope that it doesn't get leashed by stupidity from the cable company wanting to prevent various features from being usable, et. al.

Yeah, I hope it means "real" Tivo hardware, or even new hardware, not just Tivo-ish UI on top of some other hardware..

Though as far as "prevent various features from being usable", apparently (I think this was mentioned yet again on the most recent Engadget HD podcast) cable companies are NOT ALLOWED by their own rules to allow over the top features (e.g. other video streaming providers) on cable provided boxes.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 08:18 AM   #5
nrc
Cracker Soul

Tivo announced that they were making their software available on this Pace box for MSOs quite some time ago. Great to hear that they have a customer for it.

The question is whether the new retail model will be a version of this same box or a completely different Tivo designed box.

Not entirely square
nrc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 09:46 AM   #6
innocentfreak

I could see it making sense to have Pace make the box if they can get the cost lower than TiVo could unless TiVo found a way to be profitable out the door on the hardware.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 02:09 PM   #7
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
Can you provide a link?
Don't have a direct link. There was a member here who is a TiVo supplier that first brought it up. I believe him because he provided some info about the Mini before it was released and was right on all accounts. Also Dave Zatz posted a tweet about the 6 tuner unit a few weeks ago which caused a bit of a stir at TiVo which further confirms, to me, that it's real.

As for the 4 tuner with OTA... TiVo specifically mentioned that unit in their petition to the FCC asking them to wave the requirement for their new boxes to record analog cable AND analog OTA.

It's all still rumor, but I think it's a pretty solid rumor.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 03:11 PM   #8
BigJimOutlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
Also Dave Zatz posted a tweet about the 6 tuner unit a few weeks ago which caused a bit of a stir at TiVo which further confirms, to me, that it's real.
Ick. They definitely can't be happy today then either. Whose head rolls this time?
BigJimOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 09:46 PM   #9
Bigg

It's not like it's that hard to guess what their next move would be considering the limit of tuner in the CableCard spec...
Parents: XFinity Motorola AnyRoom DVR
80 HR Series 2 Lifetime 4/11/04 DEAD as of 11/2010
Bigg is offline   Reply With Quote