TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-03-2013, 08:28 AM   #1
dthmj
Hinky

Food Network Star 2013

I figure not enough interest for a weekly thread... So here is a season thread.

Seems like the Food Network upped their game with some recognizable faces and people with more polish... (though it seems they planted some early duds for easy eliminations)

And Dooshka has got to go! She gives super models a bad name...

But I was happy with the other lady that went last night as well - both of them needed to go. Hopefully Dooshka next week.

Favorites after first show...

Chad, Stacey, and Chris - though Chris didn't do so well - but I liked him from the Food Truck show.

We laughed at segment with the obesity guy during his presentation with the focus group.. as soon as he mentioned losing weight, he went from red to green. Though I didn't think his potato meal looked healthy.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Gaming Blog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- My brand new personal blog!
dthmj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 08:33 AM   #2
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Chad was the clear winner. I hope his food can keep up with his personality. Well, it may come down to between him and Stacey. I actually liked Rodney, but then I like the tough guy persona. Thought both Andres (weight loss) and Rodney (pie man). Danushka and Damaris (southern belle) sucked big time.

"He's a freak!! Take him apart and lose the pieces under the couch!"
betts4 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 10:10 AM   #3
sharkster

I thought Dooshy girl was definitely going to get the ax, so was surprised that the Peruvian girl got it instead. I will anxiously anticipate her (Dooshy) departure.

I liked Viet! He's such a cute little guy with such a great smile and seemed very nice. I guess I'm a sucker for the 'nice guy'.

I also liked the woman with the short dark hair and the long earrings. I thought she really did about the best of all of them this time around. I don't remember what her POV was, but I don't think as much about that in the beginning because they always need to make adjustments.

I didn't care for the one who calls herself 'Lovely'. I don't expect to see her go far.

ITA - Southern girl needs to go too. Talk about dumb as a box of rocks. I see her staying around a while just for the drama and aggravation factor.
sharkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 01:37 PM   #4
jamesl

Quote:
Originally Posted by dthmj View Post
ad.

Seems like the Food Network upped their game with some recognizable faces
I knew I had seen her before but I wasn't sure where,
thought she might be a youtube chef
but then I found this

http://www.foodnetwork.com/stacey-po...ney/index.html

"After pursuing her love of a dance, she teamed up with her father to open The Trails Eatery in San Diego, which was featured on Season 2 of Restaurant: Impossible"

now I remember

I think it will be either her or Nikki Dinki, the "90% vegetarian"
http://www.foodnetwork.com/nikki-dinki/index.html

Last edited by jamesl : 06-03-2013 at 10:41 PM.
jamesl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 02:40 PM   #5
sharkster

The BEST thing about this season, so far, is that they dumped that 'teams' thing they did last year. I was glad that they listened to the masses on that one!
Old 06-03-2013, 05:05 PM   #6
bryhamm
randomize

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkster View Post
The BEST thing about this season, so far, is that they dumped that 'teams' thing they did last year. I was glad that they listened to the masses on that one!
Is this for the whole season? I thought maybe it was just for the first ep.

Bry, normally I would say you can hammer me any time baby -- Zevida

I should have frickin' bryhammed your balls yesterday -- KMan
bryhamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 05:08 PM   #7
bryhamm
randomize

Couldn't figure out where I had seen Russell before (the mohawk dude). He battled on Iron Chef America.

I must not have seen the one with Viet though, because I didn't recognize him.

Bry, normally I would say you can hammer me any time baby -- Zevida

I should have frickin' bryhammed your balls yesterday -- KMan
bryhamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 05:21 PM   #8
Hot4Bo
Finally an Avatar!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Danushka was on Chopped. She was obnoxious there too.

Hot4Bo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 05:23 PM   #9
sharkster

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryhamm View Post
Is this for the whole season? I thought maybe it was just for the first ep.
IIRC, there was some scuttlebutt on this last year that they listened to the people (everybody, including me, hated that format) and were not going to do that again. I could be wrong, as my memory often fails me now, but that's how it is stuck in my head.

Oh, just to be clear, I didn't mean when they create small teams for the purpose of a weekly challenge. I was referring to the way it was formatted last year where each of the judges (Giada, Bobby, and Alton) had their own team of contestants to mentor.
Old 06-03-2013, 10:48 PM   #10
jamesl

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryhamm View Post
Couldn't figure out where I had seen Russell before (the mohawk dude). He battled on Iron Chef America.

I must not have seen the one with Viet though, because I didn't recognize him.
Russell

Russell on Iron Chef America
You need to upgrade your Flash Player

Viet

Viet on Iron Chef America

Danushka

Danushka on Chopped

I've seen every one of these episodes, but didn't recognize any of the contestants until just now
"oh, yeah, I remember that one"
jamesl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 06:15 AM   #11
dthmj
Hinky

Ugh. Dooshka lives another day.

She is one of the most unpleasant people I've ever seen.

But I do agree with the choice they made. That guy wasn't good either.

- Gaming Blog

- My brand new personal blog!
dthmj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 06:55 AM   #12
lambertman
I'm a man, I'm 40

Quote:
I was referring to the way it was formatted last year where each of the judges (Giada, Bobby, and Alton) had their own team of contestants to mentor.
Also glad that is gone, but now it seems a little silly to basically have a three-headed host. Bobby seems bored. He can go back to his other 83 shows.

and elsewhere
Play-by-play announcer at .... let me get back to you
lambertman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 07:28 AM   #13
late for dinner
Always Hungry!

this guy looked familiar - my wife remembered him from the Great Food Truck Race.

Old 06-10-2013, 10:07 AM   #14
sharkster

Ugh, Dooshy still there. They should have given the newly-slim guy another chance, NOT her. I think they just like to try and keep the girl to boy ratio even - not to mention keeping the Dooshy drama going longer. double-ugh
Old 06-10-2013, 02:47 PM   #15
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
It's got to be the drama thing. And keeping us wondering why they kept her and how long they will and all that.

Old 06-10-2013, 08:10 PM   #16
jradosh
Newlywed

Clearly the only reason they kept her was for the drama which is... just plain wrong.

Check out
. :)
jradosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 08:11 PM   #17
gossamer88
HDTV Snob

No question the producers had a hand in this weeks elimination. Dooshka really is hateful. The ex-overweight guy at least had an angle.
gossamer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 09:44 PM   #18
sushikitten
Exhausted mama

They still have the vagina table. Really?! No one has mentioned that to the design staff?!

sushikitten is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 09:59 PM   #19
justen_m

I LOVE Danushka! I want her around to the end, because I TOTALLY LOL at all of her snarky comments. There is no chance she will win, but I love listening to her comments and looking at her.

This isn't Top Chef! This is looking for people who can be food personalities. Giving her a chance isn't hurting anyone else. It is just providing the audience more entertainment, IMO. I LIKE HER!.

I am cheering for Dinki (semi-vegitarian) to win, because I like her concept and would watch her show. And the guy who beat Bobby Flay on ICA, and the barbecue dude. Damn, he is like soooooo smooth. Just like the woman with kids who owns a restaurant. She is like velvet.
justen_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 11:56 PM   #20
Azlen

For those that don't have a chance to win, I don't have a problem in the order they are eliminated. Dooshka isn't going to win but there are several other people that aren't going to win either. The order that they go doesn't really matter to me.
Azlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 12:36 AM   #21
GoHalos

I'm not that bothered that Danushka stayed and non-weight-loss weight-loss guy went home. He was terrible on camera and I doubt she'll last much longer anyway.
GoHalos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 08:08 AM   #22
justen_m

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoHalos View Post
I'm not that bothered that Danushka stayed and non-weight-loss weight-loss guy went home. He was terrible on camera and I doubt she'll last much longer anyway.
I found his concept... fail. You are targeting a show towards young men who can't cook. Look at the demographics of the Food Network/Cooking channel.

???

Either target your show towards young PEOPLE who can't cook (aka RR's 30 minute meals), or shift to the weight loss theme. He refused to do either. I would never have given his show a glance.

Danushka? Yeah, I'd give crazy girl a chance, sort of like Nadia G.
justen_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 10:17 AM   #23
jradosh
Newlywed

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushikitten View Post
They still have the vagina table. Really?! No one has mentioned that to the design staff?!
LOL! I comment on that to Handan every time I see it.

Check out
Old 06-11-2013, 10:26 AM   #24
sharkster

Quote:
Originally Posted by justen_m View Post
I found his concept... fail. You are targeting a show towards young men who can't cook. Look at the demographics of the Food Network/Cooking channel.

???

Either target your show towards young PEOPLE who can't cook (aka RR's 30 minute meals), or shift to the weight loss theme. He refused to do either. I would never have given his show a glance.

Danushka? Yeah, I'd give crazy girl a chance, sort of like Nadia G.
I agree with you about weight loss guy needing to adjust his POV. There were so many good ways to go with it. I think he could have done it pretty well, had he chosen to listen to them.

Interesting how some of these contestants tend to think they know better than those who have been uber-successful on the network for years.

As for Danushka - I just cannot see the most remote possibility of her doing well with a show. I never thought of comparing her to Nadia G. I really like Nadia, although I will admit she was a bit of an acquired taste. At first I just remember thinking 'really?'. As I kept watching I found that I liked her. I don't see any possibility of that happening with D. But I'm sure they will keep her around for a while.
Old 06-11-2013, 01:42 PM   #25
ADent

Quote:
Originally Posted by gossamer88 View Post
No question the producers had a hand in this weeks elimination. Dooshka really is hateful. The ex-overweight guy at least had an angle.
What was his angle? A show on the Food Network/Cooking Channel for people that don't know how to cook (and presumably don't watch FN/CC)?

He had no camera presence, wasn't a great cook, and had no entertainment value.
ADent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 10:09 AM   #26
sharkster

June 16 episode -

Woo-freakin-hoo! No more Dooshy. There was no way around eliminating her. Had they eliminated the guy I would have stopped watching because it would have been so wrong. I kept thinking, though, that they might have been trying to figure out an angle to keep the drama queen around longer.

Also scary was having the lady with the short, dark hair in the bottom three. Whew! She is too good to be eliminated over one bad day.

I'm really liking the semi-veg girl more and more (sorry - too many still left to remember most of their names). Still like Viet and I hope he gets it together. Chris (food truck guy, right?) seems to be doing better and better. I even didn't find the southern girl (Nikki I believe?) to be too offensive. She must be trying harder, although I still wouldn't watch her. I still don't think Lovely brings anything to the table. The pie guy I'm finding more endearing, although I don't see him making it too far.
Old 06-17-2013, 10:18 AM   #27
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
June 16 episode -

Woo-freakin-hoo! No more Dooshy. There was no way around eliminating her. Had they eliminated the guy I would have stopped watching because it would have been so wrong. I kept thinking, though, that they might have been trying to figure out an angle to keep the drama queen around longer.

Also scary was having the lady with the short, dark hair in the bottom three. Whew! She is too good to be eliminated over one bad day.

I'm really liking the semi-veg girl more and more (sorry - too many still left to remember most of their names). Still like Viet and I hope he gets it together. Chris (food truck guy, right?) seems to be doing better and better. I even didn't find the southern girl (Nikki I believe?) to be too offensive. She must be trying harder, although I still wouldn't watch her. I still don't think Lovely brings anything to the table. The pie guy I'm finding more endearing, although I don't see him making it too far.
The Pie Guy reminds me too much of guys we already have on FN like Chef Duff and even Guy Fieri.

I did like Southern Gal as a judge. Totally different demeanor, it was interesting.

Happy that Doshy is gone.

Food truck guy really did do better this episode and is worth keeping around but he doesn't have any real 'pop' to bring to a new show.

Old 06-18-2013, 07:59 AM   #28
JoBeth66
Temp

Nikki is semi-veg, Damaris is southern girl. I like Nikki a lot. I'm not sure on Damaris, though. I agree that pie guy is way too similar to other FN chefs, I don't see enough different about him that I would watch.

I knew they were sending Dooshy home, just the expressions on Alex's face were enough that if the producers said they HAD to keep her, I think Alex would've come running from offstage and taken her down.

There was absolutely nothing likeable about her or her concept, and her voice just made me want to shoot someone.

Lovey is way too fake for me.
JoBeth66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 04:34 PM   #29
gossamer88
HDTV Snob

Agree about Lovey. Even hate the name!

Russell was lucky Danuska expressed her boredom. What an idiot!
gossamer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 04:46 AM   #30
jradosh
Newlywed

When Lovey gets her criticism you can see the "real" Lovey. Not someone I'd want to watch or work with. She'll be gone soon I think.

Too bad Viet has such little camera presence.

Why were they so upset about food truck / former druggie/alcoholic guy not having shared his story? Do they think that's a selling point for his show? Is there a big audience for former druggie/boozy chefs?

Nikki has the best "fresh idea" for a show (semi-veggie). I think that Food Network probably wants another Guy Fieri-type like the Pie Guy. I'm thinking it comes down to those two in the finals.

I liked the chopped challenge.

Ironic that Dooshy got "chopped".

Check out