TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-11-2013, 12:12 AM   #1
loquiter

Question Like a show but don't want to record it again. EVER!

I'm sorry if someone has answered this, but I can't find the thread. In order to improve TiVo's suggestions, I want to tell the TiVo that I like a movie; for example: "Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets", but having seen the movie several times I NEVER WANT IT TO RECORD AGAIN. How the heck do you accomplish this? I can't create wishlists for everything... Is there an easy solution?
loquiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 08:50 AM   #2
mlippert

I wish! If anyone knows of a way to specify this I'd love to hear it.

If only TiVo would spend some development time on improvements like this.
mlippert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 08:58 AM   #3
jakerock
Hey ho howdy!

I don't think there is a way to tell it to avoid specific movies or shows and never record them.

You can of course turn off suggestions but then you won't get any surprise recordings.

I don't think this is high on the list of issues that TiVo is trying to fix nor do I think many people would put it high on their list (but maybe it bothers more people than I realize).
Old 06-11-2013, 11:02 AM   #4
loquiter

It's an unfortunate problem

I think it might be higher on peoples' lists than you think. I'm sure you see the problem. If you rate quite a few popular movies highly, with the frequency that the networks and Encore rebroadcast them, pretty soon the TiVo is full of nothing but movies you liked but don't care to see again! Recording future episodes of television shows that you have given a "thumbs up" makes sense, but movies? How many people want to watch the same movie over and over? If we do, we'll buy the dvd and lose the commercials. Having done some programming in my day, I just think it would be fairly easy to add a "Do not record in the future" option when you're giving something a "thumbs up". Or even easier: the TiVo already knows which items are tv shows and which are movies, so in the settings you could have one that can be set to prevent re-recording movies you've given a "thumbs up". They obviously already have space in the database for a "Do not record" flag when you give something a "thumbs down". This would save a lot of space for cool new stuff, and not be terribly difficult to implement.
Old 06-11-2013, 12:15 PM   #5
bshrock

Stop thinking of suggestions as taking up space.

I don't think Thumbs rate the Movie title directly the rating is more for the genre.
bshrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 12:35 PM   #6
jakerock
Hey ho howdy!

Rating something with a thumbs up doesn't rate the movie (as noted above) it rates the tags that the movie has. So you like adult comedies, sit coms, adult drama, animated etc. Sure the movie you rated will show up again (all things considered) because it has all the tags that you rated with a thumbs up but it isn't telling it that you really like Harry Potter and please record it again. There isn't a giant list of things you've liked nor is there a giant list of things that you don't want to record. There is just a list of types of things you do and don't like.

Beyond that the TiVo tracks 28 days (or something like that) of things it has recorded so that it won't duplicate those exact shows.
Old 06-11-2013, 01:33 PM   #7
mr.unnatural

In all the years I owned Tivos I never turned suggestions on. In fact, one of the first things I ever did with a new Tivo was to turn them off as I found them to be extremely annoying. I already record more TV than I have time to watch so the last thing I need is a dumb box telling me what to watch.

If you only record TV shows on a casual basis and like the idea of Tivo's suggestions then you'd probably be just as content with your cableco's DVR. For me, DVRs like Tivo or a WMC PC are more for power users (i.e., serious couch potatoes like myself) that already have their own agenda and know in advance what they want to record and watch. I tend to check out websites like the Futon Critic to find out what shows are coming up in the next season and set up my season passes accordingly. I've just about got my fall lineup set already.

I also keep my ear to the ground for word of mouth about new shows or specials that may be of interest. If I find something I like that may have already aired multiple episodes then I'll use BT to acquire the ones I've missed, but only if they're not being aired again in the near future.

Just my opinion.
mr.unnatural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 01:35 PM   #8
Jonathan_S

Quote:
Originally Posted by bshrock View Post
Stop thinking of suggestions as taking up space.
Suggestions don't really take up space, but there is an oportunity cost from suggestions you don't actually want to watch. Every movie it records for the fifth time is a couple more chances missed for suggestions to introduce you to a couple great new programs (or a movie you haven't seen)

It's summer, you're running out of scheduled content, so you take a look in suggestions for something new to check out and it's half full of the Harry Potter series; again. I can see that being a bit annoying.
Old 06-11-2013, 01:41 PM   #9
jrtroo
User

Its a stretch, but I could only see this is a real "issue" if it caused the tivo to re-record one movie suggestion instead of another suggestion. However, if they are all repeating due to being on movie channels, it could easily pick it up the next time it is shown. Otherwise, an unwanted movie is easy to delete or just let it flush out with the other aged suggestions.

I would consider myself a "power user" and use suggestions all the time. It saves me time from having to research new shows. If I like a suggestion, based upon my own experiences, I'll just move it to a season pass.

Last edited by jrtroo : 06-11-2013 at 02:57 PM.
jrtroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 02:43 PM   #10
loquiter

Right on point!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan_S View Post
Suggestions don't really take up space, but there is an oportunity cost from suggestions you don't actually want to watch. Every movie it records for the fifth time is a couple more chances missed for suggestions to introduce you to a couple great new programs (or a movie you haven't seen)

It's summer, you're running out of scheduled content, so you take a look in suggestions for something new to check out and it's half full of the Harry Potter series; again. I can see that being a bit annoying.
EXACTLY!!! From what some of the others have said, what we need is an "exclusion list". Of course someone will complain about that idea but honestly... How many movie titles could one fit in a Million Bytes? OMG! What if we were willing to give up Five Million Bytes?!!!
Old 06-12-2013, 07:33 AM   #11
mr.unnatural

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan_S View Post
You obviously haven't been looking at the summer lineups on most of the cable channels (and no, I'not referring to Duck Dynasty or the rest of that ilk). Either that or your suggestions aren't doing you any favors. There are lots of great shows airing in the summer months, like Falling Skies on TNT and many others. My summer recording schedule is almost as extensive as my regular fall and winter schedules. If you limit yourself to nertwork programming then you will definitely have far less to watch during the summer.

Here's a sample of some of the shows that air during the summer:

Under the Dome – CBS 6/24, 10PM
Major Crimes – TNT 6/10, 9PM
King and Maxwell – TNT 6/10, 10PM
Deadliest Catch – Disc 4/16, 9PM
Rizzoli & Isles – TNT 6/25, 9PM
Perception – TNT 6/25, 10PM
Franklin & Bash – TNT 6/19, 9PM
Necessary Roughness – USA 6/12, 10PM
Burn Notice – USA 6/6, 9PM
Graceland – USA 6/6, 10PM
Magic City – Starz 6/14, 9PM
Continuum – SyFy 6/7, 10PM
In the Flesh – BBCA 8/3, 10PM
Primeval: New World – SyFy 6/8, 10PM
The Killing – AMC 6/2, 9PM
Breaking Bad – AMC 8/11, 9PM
Low Winter Sun – AMC 8/11, 10PM
True Blood – HBO 6/16, 9PM
The Newsroom – HBO 6/14, 10PM
Dexter – SHO 6/30, 9PM
Ray Donovan – SHO 6/30, 10PM
Falling Skies – TNT 6/9, 10PM

I realize all of these shows may not float your boat, but there are some pretty good ones in the list. I've seen the premiere episodes of King and Maxwell and Graceland and they're both pretty entertaining, IMHO. The Killing and The Newsroom are both outstanding shows and would be the two I'd recommend if you could only watch two of them, although the final season of Breaking Bad should not be missed either. Some of the others are more fluff, but still offer some entertainment value. In The Flesh is a short BBC series and I'm not sure about the actual broadcast date as it may be a rebroadcast of the series that aired earlier this year.

Last edited by mr.unnatural : 06-12-2013 at 07:44 AM.
Old 06-12-2013, 11:14 AM   #12
Jonathan_S

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.unnatural View Post
You obviously haven't been looking at the summer lineups on most of the cable channels (and no, I'not referring to Duck Dynasty or the rest of that ilk). Either that or your suggestions aren't doing you any favors. There are lots of great shows airing in the summer months, like Falling Skies on TNT and many others. My summer recording schedule is almost as extensive as my regular fall and winter schedules. If you limit yourself to nertwork programming then you will definitely have far less to watch during the summer.

Here's a sample of some of the shows that air during the summer:

Under the Dome – CBS 6/24, 10PM
Major Crimes – TNT 6/10, 9PM
King and Maxwell – TNT 6/10, 10PM
Deadliest Catch – Disc 4/16, 9PM
Rizzoli & Isles – TNT 6/25, 9PM
Perception – TNT 6/25, 10PM
Franklin & Bash – TNT 6/19, 9PM
Necessary Roughness – USA 6/12, 10PM
Burn Notice – USA 6/6, 9PM
Graceland – USA 6/6, 10PM
Magic City – Starz 6/14, 9PM
Continuum – SyFy 6/7, 10PM
In the Flesh – BBCA 8/3, 10PM
Primeval: New World – SyFy 6/8, 10PM
The Killing – AMC 6/2, 9PM
Breaking Bad – AMC 8/11, 9PM
Low Winter Sun – AMC 8/11, 10PM
True Blood – HBO 6/16, 9PM
The Newsroom – HBO 6/14, 10PM
Dexter – SHO 6/30, 9PM
Ray Donovan – SHO 6/30, 10PM
Falling Skies – TNT 6/9, 10PM

I realize all of these shows may not float your boat, but there are some pretty good ones in the list. I've seen the premiere episodes of King and Maxwell and Graceland and they're both pretty entertaining, IMHO. The Killing and The Newsroom are both outstanding shows and would be the two I'd recommend if you could only watch two of them, although the final season of Breaking Bad should not be missed either. Some of the others are more fluff, but still offer some entertainment value. In The Flesh is a short BBC series and I'm not sure about the actual broadcast date as it may be a rebroadcast of the series that aired earlier this year.
First, that was a hypothetical; personally I've still got plenty to watch - both new summer shows, and backlog of things that I haven't gotten to yet. So yes I know there are good summer shows, and yes I watch some of them.

But compared to the number of shows airing during the 'normal' fall/spring TV season there are less hours of TV per week I want to watch over the summer. (In some ways that's good; less excuse to flip on the TV instead of going out or reading a book or something. But it does make it more likely that when I do flip on the TV I've already caught up on my summer shows and I'm poking around for something new)
Old 06-12-2013, 12:05 PM   #13
mr.unnatural

I couldn't agree more. I've gotten to where I record so much TV that I look forward to a little relief so I can do other things beside vegitate in front of the boob tube (is that still applicable to flatscreens?). Summertime is about the only chance I get to watch the backlog of movies I've accumulated over the previous nine months.
Old 06-12-2013, 08:42 PM   #14
kherr

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.unnatural View Post
I couldn't agree more. I've gotten to where I record so much TV that I look forward to a little relief so I can do other things beside vegitate in front of the boob tube (is that still applicable to flatscreens?). Summertime is about the only chance I get to watch the backlog of movies I've accumulated over the previous nine months.
.... that would be the boob diode .... or boob led .... boob semiconductor would cover both ...
kherr is offline   Reply With Quote