TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-10-2013, 06:37 PM   #1
fruster

HDVR2 died and I'm trying to get un-stuck

My original HDVR2 died and wouldn't boot up and made a clicking sound.

I swapped a power supply from another HDVR2 (that apparently was not on my account that I got off eBay for parts but booted up and had its own matching card) and my machine still wouldn't boot. I swapped the hard drive into the old unit, it booted but gave error #51. So I surmised the motherboard or something other than the power supply in my unit was bad.

I've been told I cannot activate the second HDVR2 with my old hard drive. And that my best bet is to try and repair the motherboard of my original unit and put my hard drive back?

A rep at Tivo told me I was SOL on getting the second unit on my account and that they don't activate HDVR2s except on the original accounts they were on?

Help! What can I do?
fruster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 06:57 PM   #2
stevel
Dumb Blond

TC CLUB MEMBER
Error 51 can be cleared with a "Clear and Delete Everything". That error is expected when you swap in a drive from a different box.

I assume you called DirecTV, not TiVo, as TiVo has nothing to do with HDVR2s nowadays. As the HDVR2 is an older model without a "Receiver ID" (aka a non-RID box), DIrecTV won't activate it unless it had previously been on your account.

It sounds to me as if just the hard drive died. So boot with the drive from the eBay box, do a Settings > Reset > Clear and Delete Everything, and you should be back in business. Everything from the old drive is lost.
Old 06-10-2013, 11:41 PM   #3
fruster

The hard drive works fine. But the previously-working box will not boot up. I moved the hard drive over to the ebay box and it boots up. It took several hours to clear and delete everything and now it's hung on the update numbers section.... I'm not hopeful however, that the ebay box will work.

So what do I do if the active box has a bad motherboard? I swapped power supplies and it still wouldn't boot. The MB appears to be the culprit. Is there any way I can get my Tivo back online? DirecTV said they wouldn't active the other Tivo since it wasn't on my account.
Old 06-11-2013, 08:32 AM   #4
sbourgeo
Hepcat Daddio

You can get the new HDVR2 up and running without contacting DirecTV at all. Use the valid access card from your non-booting HDVR2, do a "Clear & Delete Everything", and then go to directv.com and choose "Reauthorize My Equipment".
"You know, ground beef is a real winner nowadays" -- Faster Guy
sbourgeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 10:04 AM   #5
fruster

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbourgeo View Post
You can get the new HDVR2 up and running without contacting DirecTV at all. Use the valid access card from your non-booting HDVR2, do a "Clear & Delete Everything", and then go to directv.com and choose "Reauthorize My Equipment".
I didn't even need to do that! I just put the new card in the old unit (with the new hard drive moved over), did "clear & delete everything" and it worked!

(actually, I did the clear and delete with the old card, then it came up and said it wasn't a valid access card, I put the new card in and it worked).

I'm pretty upset with DirecTV because their "top tier supervisor" said there was nothing I could do except buy a new unit and they could not make my box work. A bunch of liars.
Old 06-11-2013, 10:04 AM   #6
fruster

I asked the tech support rep to escalate me and she said she knew everything and nobody else could help me. what a liar.
Old 06-11-2013, 10:46 AM   #7
stevel
Dumb Blond

TC CLUB MEMBER
It's not lying if you don't know the truth.