TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Closed Thread
Forum Jump

Old 04-29-2013, 02:35 PM   #1
Emacee

Arrow Jets Dump Tebo

Tivo spokesjock Tim Tebow has been dumped by the New York Jets. No more genuflecting on the sideline. The Jets drafted another quarterback and immediately put Tebow on waivers. So far, no other team is expressing interest. How long will the Tebow-Tivo gig last?
Previously:
Hughes DirecTivo (02-06)
Phillips Series1 (99-03)
Old 04-29-2013, 02:42 PM   #2
gonzotek
tivo_xml developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emacee View Post
Tivo spokesjock Tim Tebow has been dumped by the New York Jets. No more genuflecting on the sideline. The Jets drafted another quarterback and immediately put Tebow on waivers. So far, no other team is expressing interest. How long will the Tebow-Tivo gig last?
I'm guessing until his contract with TiVo runs out -- They just recently picked a new ad agency to 'revive the brand'. I asked about Tebow in the thread about that topic:
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=503105
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
A Web app for Roku Remote Control
Old 04-29-2013, 05:11 PM   #3
magnus
Tivo User

I'm sure that the Cowboys will pick him up. :-)
Old 04-29-2013, 06:43 PM   #4
malayphred
Underpowered User

Maybe the CFL??
Old 04-29-2013, 06:56 PM   #5
pteronaut
Registered Snoozer

Quote:
Originally Posted by malayphred View Post
Maybe the CFL??
Well, the Montreal Allouettes do hold rights to him in the CFL...
Old 04-29-2013, 07:45 PM   #6
MeInDallas

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnus View Post
I'm sure that the Cowboys will pick him up. :-)
No way! Jerry Jones is smarter than that!

(sarchastic remark)
Old 04-30-2013, 08:20 AM   #7
mr.unnatural

Guys, this is a Tivo forum, not a Tebo forum.
Old 05-01-2013, 06:15 PM   #8
MJHoltorf

At least his name still rhymes with Tivo.

So he's got that going for him.
Old 06-08-2013, 01:29 PM   #9

Hoping that TiVo sees the light and dumps that bigoted creep too.
Old 06-08-2013, 01:32 PM   #10
magnus
Tivo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9300170 View Post
Hoping that TiVo sees the light and dumps that bigoted creep too.
Strange that people think he's a bigot. In what way?
Old 06-08-2013, 02:06 PM   #11
zalusky

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by malayphred View Post
Maybe the CFL??
Christian Football League
Old 06-09-2013, 07:58 AM   #12
hairyblue
A good Man

I think Tivo made a mistake by picking Tebow as a spokesman. Sure the name works well for Tivo, but a spokeman's views on people will be looked at.

I wasn't happy to have to look at his face on my Tivo.

Own 2 Tivo Premieres. OTA
Fired DTV for expensive rates on Sept. 2012
Old 06-09-2013, 09:55 AM   #13
atmuscarella

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnus View Post
Strange that people think he's a bigot. In what way?
From Merriam-Webster.
Definition of BIGOT:
"a person who is obstinately or intolerantly devoted to his or her own opinions and prejudices; especially : one who regards or treats the members of a group (as a racial or ethnic group) with hatred and intolerance."
Many would say his opinions of certain groups meets the above definition - I have no idea if he really is one or not but the fact that many people think he is makes him unacceptable as a commercial spokesman.
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
Old 06-09-2013, 06:01 PM   #14
Loach

Quote:
Originally Posted by atmuscarella View Post
From Merriam-Webster.
Definition of BIGOT:
"a person who is obstinately or intolerantly devoted to his or her own opinions and prejudices; especially : one who regards or treats the members of a group (as a racial or ethnic group) with hatred and intolerance."
Many would say his opinions of certain groups meets the above definition - I have no idea if he really is one or not but the fact that many people think he is makes him unacceptable as a commercial spokesman.
Still haven't heard what these mysterious "opinions" are or who these nebulous "groups" are.
Old 06-09-2013, 07:15 PM   #15
atmuscarella

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loach View Post
Still haven't heard what these mysterious "opinions" are or who these nebulous "groups" are.
I don't follow this stuff to close but you could try Catholics or Gay people to start, seems to be some issues with both, however what is fact versus perception or rumor is hard to figure out. I certainly don't know and wouldn't accuse anyone of being a bigot based on the little I know about it however others may have followed his statements and actions closer and feel the label is deserved. In any event the controversy is enough to make him a bad spokesperson for TiVo.
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
Old 06-09-2013, 07:43 PM   #16
kdmorse

I really think he's been painted unfairly with a broad anti-gay, anti-catholic brush, just for being near people who espouse such beliefs.

He appeared at a series of benefits which amounted to something like "puppies for sick children", or something similarly good natured. It was however hosted by an organization that when not giving puppies to sick children, is also "Pro Family" (rabidly anti gay). This was right after the Chic-Filet business died down, and he got caught up in the "lets find people supporting organizations that are anti-gay" witchhunt.

Since then, any time he's been within 100 miles of an organization that isn't strongly pro-gay, it makes major (internet) news. Even when he cancels an appearance because the organization is anti-gay, he still gets painted as a bigot. I'm not aware of any actual evidence he himself has any gay opinion whatsoever. (*)

Similarly, his father is a bit of a religious loon, that rants against the entire christian faith (or catholic, I don't remember). And he's been painted with the same brush. Although again, I'm not sure he's ever expressed an opinion on the subject. (*)

* I could be wrong, but I've still not seen anything more concrete than guilt by association...
Old 06-09-2013, 09:36 PM   #17
Loach

Quote:
I don't follow this stuff to close but you could try Catholics or Gay people to start, seems to be some issues with both, however what is fact versus perception or rumor is hard to figure out. I certainly don't know and wouldn't accuse anyone of being a bigot based on the little I know about it however others may have followed his statements and actions closer and feel the label is deserved. In any event the controversy is enough to make him a bad spokesperson for TiVo.
If you don't follow this stuff that close then you shouldn't be chiming in with support for someone else's vague accusations.

I always thought he was an odd choice as a Tivo spokesman, but that's a far cry from calling him a bigot. IMO he was a good college QB that looked like a fish out of water as an NFL QB, and he seems like a pretty nice guy to me. I've never heard him (or seen him quoted) saying anything negative about anybody. But because he's a Christian who probably doesn't support gay marriage, he gets lumped in with Fred Phelps. Ridiculous. I guess anti-Christian bigotry is the only socially acceptable form of bigotry in this day and age.
Old 06-10-2013, 05:57 AM   #18
atmuscarella

Quote:
If you don't follow this stuff that close then you shouldn't be chiming in with support for someone else's vague accusations.
I think you need to re-read my posts, I didn't support anyone accusations, I answered a question. By the way accusing someone of being a bigot isn't vague. You or I may feel the justification for the accusation is vague, but the person making such an accusation is being very clear on what their perception of the person is.
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
Old 06-10-2013, 08:54 AM   #19
Loach

Quote:
I think you need to re-read my posts, I didn't support anyone accusations, I answered a question. By the way accusing someone of being a bigot isn't vague. You or I may feel the justification for the accusation is vague, but the person making such an accusation is being very clear on what their perception of the person is.
Accusing someone of bigotry without explaining why one thinks so is vague.

You certainly implied support for the vague accusation by answering a question with further vagueness about "certain groups". Then followed it up with references to his purported views about Catholics and gays, without offering any support. I don't find that particularly helpful. It serves to spread further potential misconceptions about the man.
Old 06-10-2013, 10:44 AM   #20
bantar

Quote:
Quote:
I don't follow this stuff to close but you could try Catholics or Gay people to start, seems to be some issues with both, <snip> .

You certainly implied support for the vague accusation by answering a question with further vagueness about "certain groups". Then followed it up with references to his purported views about Catholics and gays, without offering any support. I don't find that particularly helpful. It serves to spread further potential misconceptions about the man.
Hmmm. Tebow has unfavorable opinions on behaviors (of others) [your words, not mine] and he is branded a bigot. You have unfavorable opinions of Tebow. Yet, somehow, your opinions are valid, while his are bigoted???

And I'm just a poor confused Catholic boy that doesn't understand why this hatred of Tebow exists in the first place. Supposedly, I should know this [again, your words].

Last edited by bantar : 06-10-2013 at 03:29 PM. Reason: Fixed Tebow spelling error.
Old 06-10-2013, 11:53 AM   #21
atmuscarella

Quote:

I guess I am guilty of assuming people were not living in a vacuum and knew about all the issues and/or accusations surrounding Tim Tebow, it has been going on now for several years.

After all we are using computers and it doesn't take much to use Google to see the various opinions and accusations. While I tend to discount much of the hype around stuff like this posted on Internet sites or presented in 30 second sound bites, others don't and certainly can decided one way or the other what they believe to be true and not need to restate everything or post links to all the stuff they have read/viewed that led them to their opinion.
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
Old 06-10-2013, 11:54 AM   #22
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bantar View Post
Hmmm. Tebo has unfavorable opinions on behaviors (of others) [your words, not mine] and he is branded a bigot. You have unfavorable opinions of Tebo. Yet, somehow, your opinions are valid, while his are bigoted.
The difference is he is expressing an opinion of one specific person not an entire group of people. You could call him judgmental, but not a bigot. Tebo, or at least the groups he associates with, are bigots toward the entire gay population.
Old 06-10-2013, 12:12 PM   #23
atmuscarella

Quote:
Originally Posted by bantar View Post
Hmmm. Tebo has unfavorable opinions on behaviors (of others) [your words, not mine] and he is branded a bigot. You have unfavorable opinions of Tebo. Yet, somehow, your opinions are valid, while his are bigoted.

And I'm just a poor confused Catholic boy that doesn't understand why this hatred of Tebo exists in the first place. Supposedly, I should know this [again, your words].
I really wish people wouldn't put words in my mouth. I haven't called anyone anything in any of my posts.

However on a general note the reason I posted the definition of a bigot is because of posts like yours. If I say or even believe "Martians" (pick any group you like) are terrible/evil/etc. and that we shouldn't tolerate them - by definition that makes me a bigot.

So if for some reason a person believes Tebo (or anyone) thinks Catholic's or Gays are terrible/etc. and shouldn't be tolerated then again by definition they believe he is a bigot. What the relevant question for others becomes is if that persons beliefs are based in reality/fact or not. Which is why I am fairly sure some people have questioned the opinions posted - however there is nothing new to be posted here that the general Internet discussion of the last few years hasn't talked about so at this point people believe what ever they want to believe.
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
Old 06-10-2013, 03:00 PM   #24
Loach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
The difference is he is expressing an opinion of one specific person not an entire group of people. You could call him judgmental, but not a bigot. Tebo, or at least the groups he associates with, are bigots toward the entire gay population.
If you are referring to groups like Focus on the Family, which opposes gay marriage, then by your definition, at least half the population of the U.S. are bigots. By your definition, Barack Obama was a bigot until he "evolved" on the gay marriage issue.

Edit: and can we at least start spelling the guy's name right? It's Tebow.
Old 06-10-2013, 04:09 PM   #25
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
If you are referring to groups like Focus on the Family, which opposes gay marriage, then by your definition, at least half the population of the U.S. are bigots. By your definition, Barack Obama was a bigot until he "evolved" on the gay marriage issue.
Yep, all of them are bigots! Anyone who thinks that two consenting adults do not have the right to get married because of their sexuality is no different then the people who opposed interracial marriage in the 60s.

Last edited by Dan203 : 06-10-2013 at 04:15 PM.
Old 06-10-2013, 04:29 PM   #26
jsmeeker
Vegas Boy

Tebow to the Pats!!

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...ign-tim-tebow/

Now Boston gets to deal with the hype and baggage.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-10-2013, 04:34 PM   #27
Loach

Quote:
Yep, all of them are bigots! Anyone who thinks that two consenting adults do not have the right to get married because of their sexuality is no different then the people who opposed interracial marriage in the 60s.
Although I disagree with your view, you are entitled to it. I presume you are also OK with 3 consenting adults getting married? I mean, if 3 consenting adults really love each other, why shouldn't they be able to get married? Wouldn't you agree that 2 is just an arbitrary number?

Interracial couples can produce children, by the way. Gay couples cannot. Every child has 1 mother and 1 father. That is a biological certainty.
Old 06-10-2013, 04:35 PM   #28
Loach

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmeeker View Post
Tebow to the Pats!!

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...ign-tim-tebow/

Now Boston gets to deal with the hype and baggage.
If they're smart (and they are) I would guess they're looking at him at another position. He might make a good fullback, H-Back or tight end.
Old 06-10-2013, 05:17 PM   #29
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Although I disagree with your view, you are entitled to it. I presume you are also OK with 3 consenting adults getting married? I mean, if 3 consenting adults really love each other, why shouldn't they be able to get married? Wouldn't you agree that 2 is just an arbitrary number?
I don't personally care about plural marriage, but it would be a problem from a tax/legal perspective so I can understand why there is a 2 person limit.

Quote:
Interracial couples can produce children, by the way. Gay couples cannot. Every child has 1 mother and 1 father. That is a biological certainty.
Why does marriage have anything to do with children? There are straight couples who get married late in life, well after they are capable of having children, and that's OK. My wife and I got married and we have no intention of ever having children, and that was OK. There are couples that get married knowing full well that one or the other is infertile and that's OK. There are also millions of children born to couples who are not married, some who barely even know one another, and that's OK. Having children and getting married are two completely separate things, neither requiring the other to be valid.

Marriage is a contract that provides the two people involved certain tax/legal benefits. From that perspective there is absolutely no difference between a man/woman couple and a same sex couple. Any two consenting adults should be allowed to get married and afforded all the benefits that marriage provides.

People who oppose same sex marriage do so either because of religious beliefs or because they think it's icky. Either way it's bigotry!
Old 06-10-2013, 05:43 PM   #30
Loach

Quote:
Why does marriage have anything to do with children? There are straight couples who get married late in life, well after they are capable of having children, and that's OK. My wife and I got married and we have no intention of ever having children, and that was OK. There are couples that get married knowing full well that one or the other is infertile and that's OK. There are also millions of children born to couples who are not married, some who barely even know one another, and that's OK. Having children and getting married are two completely separate things, neither requiring the other to be valid.

Marriage is a contract that provides the two people involved certain tax/legal benefits. From that perspective there is absolutely no difference between a man/woman couple and a same sex couple. Any two consenting adults should be allowed to get married and afforded all the benefits that marriage provides.

People who oppose same sex marriage do so either because of religious beliefs or because they think it's icky. Either way it's bigotry!
We'll have to disagree that millions of children born outside of marriage is "OK". Studies have shown that children of married couples have generally better outcomes in many different areas, including poverty and substance abuse. The state's interest in promoting marriage is for the benefit of children.

So gay people who oppose gay marriage are bigots too? Bigoted against themselves presumably?
Closed Thread