TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Closed Thread
Forum Jump
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-29-2013, 02:35 PM   #1
Emacee
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 154
Arrow Jets Dump Tebo

Tivo spokesjock Tim Tebow has been dumped by the New York Jets. No more genuflecting on the sideline. The Jets drafted another quarterback and immediately put Tebow on waivers. So far, no other team is expressing interest. How long will the Tebow-Tivo gig last?
__________________
Tivo Premiere w/ Comcast Xfinity
20.4.4*
TiVo Series3 HD (with upgraded 1g hard drive) w/ Antenna
Previously:
Hughes DirecTivo (02-06)
Phillips Series1 (99-03)
Emacee is offline  
Old 04-29-2013, 02:42 PM   #2
gonzotek
tivo_xml developer
 
gonzotek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Outside Phildadelphia
Posts: 2,215
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emacee View Post
Tivo spokesjock Tim Tebow has been dumped by the New York Jets. No more genuflecting on the sideline. The Jets drafted another quarterback and immediately put Tebow on waivers. So far, no other team is expressing interest. How long will the Tebow-Tivo gig last?
I'm guessing until his contract with TiVo runs out -- They just recently picked a new ad agency to 'revive the brand'. I asked about Tebow in the thread about that topic:
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=503105
__________________
Follow @pytivo on Twitter for project updates and more!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
A Web app for Roku Remote Control
gonzotek is offline  
Old 04-29-2013, 05:11 PM   #3
magnus
Tivo User
 
magnus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Texas
Posts: 2,468
I'm sure that the Cowboys will pick him up. :-)
magnus is offline  
Old 04-29-2013, 06:43 PM   #4
malayphred
Underpowered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 142
Maybe the CFL??
malayphred is offline  
Old 04-29-2013, 06:56 PM   #5
pteronaut
Registered Snoozer
 
pteronaut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 4,135
Quote:
Originally Posted by malayphred View Post
Maybe the CFL??
Well, the Montreal Allouettes do hold rights to him in the CFL...
pteronaut is offline  
Old 04-29-2013, 07:45 PM   #6
MeInDallas
Registered User
 
MeInDallas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Dallas, Texas
Posts: 833
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnus View Post
I'm sure that the Cowboys will pick him up. :-)
No way! Jerry Jones is smarter than that!

(sarchastic remark)
MeInDallas is offline  
Old 04-30-2013, 08:20 AM   #7
mr.unnatural
Registered User
 
mr.unnatural's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 3,548
Guys, this is a Tivo forum, not a Tebo forum.
mr.unnatural is offline  
Old 05-01-2013, 06:15 PM   #8
MJHoltorf
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Rancho Santa Margarita, CA, USA
Posts: 32
At least his name still rhymes with Tivo.

So he's got that going for him.
MJHoltorf is offline  
Old 06-08-2013, 01:29 PM   #9
9300170
Registered User
 
9300170's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Enfield, CT
Posts: 173
Hoping that TiVo sees the light and dumps that bigoted creep too.
9300170 is offline  
Old 06-08-2013, 01:32 PM   #10
magnus
Tivo User
 
magnus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Texas
Posts: 2,468
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9300170 View Post
Hoping that TiVo sees the light and dumps that bigoted creep too.
Strange that people think he's a bigot. In what way?
magnus is offline  
Old 06-08-2013, 02:06 PM   #11
zalusky
Registered User
 
zalusky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Cupertino, CA
Posts: 3,731
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by malayphred View Post
Maybe the CFL??
Christian Football League
__________________
I will never forget the face of my wife as I left to go the operating room to donate my kidney and give her back her life.
zalusky is offline  
Old 06-09-2013, 07:58 AM   #12
hairyblue
A good Man
 
hairyblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Mobile, AL
Posts: 750
I think Tivo made a mistake by picking Tebow as a spokesman. Sure the name works well for Tivo, but a spokeman's views on people will be looked at.

I wasn't happy to have to look at his face on my Tivo.
__________________
America--diversity and tolerance is our biggest strength

Own 2 Tivo Premieres. OTA
Fired DTV for expensive rates on Sept. 2012
hairyblue is offline  
Old 06-09-2013, 09:55 AM   #13
atmuscarella
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Rochester NY
Posts: 3,818
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnus View Post
Strange that people think he's a bigot. In what way?
From Merriam-Webster.
Definition of BIGOT:
"a person who is obstinately or intolerantly devoted to his or her own opinions and prejudices; especially : one who regards or treats the members of a group (as a racial or ethnic group) with hatred and intolerance."
Many would say his opinions of certain groups meets the above definition - I have no idea if he really is one or not but the fact that many people think he is makes him unacceptable as a commercial spokesman.
__________________
atmuscarella
R.I.P. - 04/04 - Dish 510
09/05 - Humax T-800
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
atmuscarella is offline  
Old 06-09-2013, 06:01 PM   #14
Loach
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Omaha, NE
Posts: 373
Quote:
Originally Posted by atmuscarella View Post
From Merriam-Webster.
Definition of BIGOT:
"a person who is obstinately or intolerantly devoted to his or her own opinions and prejudices; especially : one who regards or treats the members of a group (as a racial or ethnic group) with hatred and intolerance."
Many would say his opinions of certain groups meets the above definition - I have no idea if he really is one or not but the fact that many people think he is makes him unacceptable as a commercial spokesman.
Still haven't heard what these mysterious "opinions" are or who these nebulous "groups" are.
__________________
Roamio Pro (MoCA)
Premiere 4 (MoCA) w/2TB WD20EURS upgrade
2 Minis (MoCA/Ethernet)
Loach is offline  
Old 06-09-2013, 07:15 PM   #15
atmuscarella
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Rochester NY
Posts: 3,818
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loach View Post
Still haven't heard what these mysterious "opinions" are or who these nebulous "groups" are.
I don't follow this stuff to close but you could try Catholics or Gay people to start, seems to be some issues with both, however what is fact versus perception or rumor is hard to figure out. I certainly don't know and wouldn't accuse anyone of being a bigot based on the little I know about it however others may have followed his statements and actions closer and feel the label is deserved. In any event the controversy is enough to make him a bad spokesperson for TiVo.
__________________
atmuscarella
R.I.P. - 04/04 - Dish 510
09/05 - Humax T-800
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
atmuscarella is offline  
Old 06-09-2013, 07:43 PM   #16
kdmorse
Registered User
 
kdmorse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Germantown, MD
Posts: 4,136
I really think he's been painted unfairly with a broad anti-gay, anti-catholic brush, just for being near people who espouse such beliefs.

He appeared at a series of benefits which amounted to something like "puppies for sick children", or something similarly good natured. It was however hosted by an organization that when not giving puppies to sick children, is also "Pro Family" (rabidly anti gay). This was right after the Chic-Filet business died down, and he got caught up in the "lets find people supporting organizations that are anti-gay" witchhunt.

Since then, any time he's been within 100 miles of an organization that isn't strongly pro-gay, it makes major (internet) news. Even when he cancels an appearance because the organization is anti-gay, he still gets painted as a bigot. I'm not aware of any actual evidence he himself has any gay opinion whatsoever. (*)

Similarly, his father is a bit of a religious loon, that rants against the entire christian faith (or catholic, I don't remember). And he's been painted with the same brush. Although again, I'm not sure he's ever expressed an opinion on the subject. (*)

* I could be wrong, but I've still not seen anything more concrete than guilt by association...
__________________
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"
"Stop slouching! It's two O'clock in the afternoon, PUT PANTS ON!"
"Statistically speaking, there are two Popes per square kilometer in Vatican City..."
kdmorse is offline  
Old 06-09-2013, 09:36 PM   #17
Loach
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Omaha, NE
Posts: 373
Quote:
Originally Posted by atmuscarella View Post
I don't follow this stuff to close but you could try Catholics or Gay people to start, seems to be some issues with both, however what is fact versus perception or rumor is hard to figure out. I certainly don't know and wouldn't accuse anyone of being a bigot based on the little I know about it however others may have followed his statements and actions closer and feel the label is deserved. In any event the controversy is enough to make him a bad spokesperson for TiVo.
If you don't follow this stuff that close then you shouldn't be chiming in with support for someone else's vague accusations.

I always thought he was an odd choice as a Tivo spokesman, but that's a far cry from calling him a bigot. IMO he was a good college QB that looked like a fish out of water as an NFL QB, and he seems like a pretty nice guy to me. I've never heard him (or seen him quoted) saying anything negative about anybody. But because he's a Christian who probably doesn't support gay marriage, he gets lumped in with Fred Phelps. Ridiculous. I guess anti-Christian bigotry is the only socially acceptable form of bigotry in this day and age.
__________________
Roamio Pro (MoCA)
Premiere 4 (MoCA) w/2TB WD20EURS upgrade
2 Minis (MoCA/Ethernet)
Loach is offline  
Old 06-10-2013, 05:57 AM   #18
atmuscarella
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Rochester NY
Posts: 3,818
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loach View Post
If you don't follow this stuff that close then you shouldn't be chiming in with support for someone else's vague accusations.
I think you need to re-read my posts, I didn't support anyone accusations, I answered a question. By the way accusing someone of being a bigot isn't vague. You or I may feel the justification for the accusation is vague, but the person making such an accusation is being very clear on what their perception of the person is.
__________________
atmuscarella
R.I.P. - 04/04 - Dish 510
09/05 - Humax T-800
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
atmuscarella is offline  
Old 06-10-2013, 08:54 AM   #19
Loach
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Omaha, NE
Posts: 373
Quote:
Originally Posted by atmuscarella View Post
I think you need to re-read my posts, I didn't support anyone accusations, I answered a question. By the way accusing someone of being a bigot isn't vague. You or I may feel the justification for the accusation is vague, but the person making such an accusation is being very clear on what their perception of the person is.
Accusing someone of bigotry without explaining why one thinks so is vague.

You certainly implied support for the vague accusation by answering a question with further vagueness about "certain groups". Then followed it up with references to his purported views about Catholics and gays, without offering any support. I don't find that particularly helpful. It serves to spread further potential misconceptions about the man.
__________________
Roamio Pro (MoCA)
Premiere 4 (MoCA) w/2TB WD20EURS upgrade
2 Minis (MoCA/Ethernet)
Loach is offline  
Old 06-10-2013, 10:44 AM   #20
bantar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loach View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by atmuscarella View Post
I don't follow this stuff to close but you could try Catholics or Gay people to start, seems to be some issues with both, <snip> .
Accusing someone of bigotry without explaining why one thinks so is vague.

You certainly implied support for the vague accusation by answering a question with further vagueness about "certain groups". Then followed it up with references to his purported views about Catholics and gays, without offering any support. I don't find that particularly helpful. It serves to spread further potential misconceptions about the man.
Hmmm. Tebow has unfavorable opinions on behaviors (of others) [your words, not mine] and he is branded a bigot. You have unfavorable opinions of Tebow. Yet, somehow, your opinions are valid, while his are bigoted???

And I'm just a poor confused Catholic boy that doesn't understand why this hatred of Tebow exists in the first place. Supposedly, I should know this [again, your words].

Last edited by bantar : 06-10-2013 at 03:29 PM. Reason: Fixed Tebow spelling error.
bantar is offline  
Old 06-10-2013, 11:53 AM   #21
atmuscarella
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Rochester NY
Posts: 3,818
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loach View Post
Accusing someone of bigotry without explaining why one thinks so is vague.

You certainly implied support for the vague accusation by answering a question with further vagueness about "certain groups". Then followed it up with references to his purported views about Catholics and gays, without offering any support. I don't find that particularly helpful. It serves to spread further potential misconceptions about the man.
I guess I am guilty of assuming people were not living in a vacuum and knew about all the issues and/or accusations surrounding Tim Tebow, it has been going on now for several years.

After all we are using computers and it doesn't take much to use Google to see the various opinions and accusations. While I tend to discount much of the hype around stuff like this posted on Internet sites or presented in 30 second sound bites, others don't and certainly can decided one way or the other what they believe to be true and not need to restate everything or post links to all the stuff they have read/viewed that led them to their opinion.
__________________
atmuscarella
R.I.P. - 04/04 - Dish 510
09/05 - Humax T-800
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
atmuscarella is offline  
Old 06-10-2013, 11:54 AM   #22
Dan203
Super Moderator
 
Dan203's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Nevada
Posts: 24,828
Quote:
Originally Posted by bantar View Post
Hmmm. Tebo has unfavorable opinions on behaviors (of others) [your words, not mine] and he is branded a bigot. You have unfavorable opinions of Tebo. Yet, somehow, your opinions are valid, while his are bigoted.
The difference is he is expressing an opinion of one specific person not an entire group of people. You could call him judgmental, but not a bigot. Tebo, or at least the groups he associates with, are bigots toward the entire gay population.
__________________
Dan Haddix
Super Moderator
Developer for VideoReDo
Dan203 is offline  
Old 06-10-2013, 12:12 PM   #23
atmuscarella
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Rochester NY
Posts: 3,818
Quote:
Originally Posted by bantar View Post
Hmmm. Tebo has unfavorable opinions on behaviors (of others) [your words, not mine] and he is branded a bigot. You have unfavorable opinions of Tebo. Yet, somehow, your opinions are valid, while his are bigoted.

And I'm just a poor confused Catholic boy that doesn't understand why this hatred of Tebo exists in the first place. Supposedly, I should know this [again, your words].
I really wish people wouldn't put words in my mouth. I haven't called anyone anything in any of my posts.

However on a general note the reason I posted the definition of a bigot is because of posts like yours. If I say or even believe "Martians" (pick any group you like) are terrible/evil/etc. and that we shouldn't tolerate them - by definition that makes me a bigot.

So if for some reason a person believes Tebo (or anyone) thinks Catholic's or Gays are terrible/etc. and shouldn't be tolerated then again by definition they believe he is a bigot. What the relevant question for others becomes is if that persons beliefs are based in reality/fact or not. Which is why I am fairly sure some people have questioned the opinions posted - however there is nothing new to be posted here that the general Internet discussion of the last few years hasn't talked about so at this point people believe what ever they want to believe.
__________________
atmuscarella
R.I.P. - 04/04 - Dish 510
09/05 - Humax T-800
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
atmuscarella is offline  
Old 06-10-2013, 03:00 PM   #24
Loach
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Omaha, NE
Posts: 373
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
The difference is he is expressing an opinion of one specific person not an entire group of people. You could call him judgmental, but not a bigot. Tebo, or at least the groups he associates with, are bigots toward the entire gay population.
If you are referring to groups like Focus on the Family, which opposes gay marriage, then by your definition, at least half the population of the U.S. are bigots. By your definition, Barack Obama was a bigot until he "evolved" on the gay marriage issue.

Edit: and can we at least start spelling the guy's name right? It's Tebow.
__________________
Roamio Pro (MoCA)
Premiere 4 (MoCA) w/2TB WD20EURS upgrade
2 Minis (MoCA/Ethernet)
Loach is offline  
Old 06-10-2013, 04:09 PM   #25
Dan203
Super Moderator
 
Dan203's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Nevada
Posts: 24,828
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loach View Post
If you are referring to groups like Focus on the Family, which opposes gay marriage, then by your definition, at least half the population of the U.S. are bigots. By your definition, Barack Obama was a bigot until he "evolved" on the gay marriage issue.
Yep, all of them are bigots! Anyone who thinks that two consenting adults do not have the right to get married because of their sexuality is no different then the people who opposed interracial marriage in the 60s.
__________________
Dan Haddix
Super Moderator
Developer for VideoReDo

Last edited by Dan203 : 06-10-2013 at 04:15 PM.
Dan203 is offline  
Old 06-10-2013, 04:29 PM   #26
jsmeeker
Vegas Boy
 
jsmeeker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Dallas
Posts: 88,215
Tebow to the Pats!!

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...ign-tim-tebow/

Now Boston gets to deal with the hype and baggage.
__________________
Jeff
Proud to use my TiVo improperly
President of the TiVoShanan Fan Club


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jsmeeker is offline  
Old 06-10-2013, 04:34 PM   #27
Loach
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Omaha, NE
Posts: 373
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
Yep, all of them are bigots! Anyone who thinks that two consenting adults do not have the right to get married because of their sexuality is no different then the people who opposed interracial marriage in the 60s.
Although I disagree with your view, you are entitled to it. I presume you are also OK with 3 consenting adults getting married? I mean, if 3 consenting adults really love each other, why shouldn't they be able to get married? Wouldn't you agree that 2 is just an arbitrary number?

Interracial couples can produce children, by the way. Gay couples cannot. Every child has 1 mother and 1 father. That is a biological certainty.
__________________
Roamio Pro (MoCA)
Premiere 4 (MoCA) w/2TB WD20EURS upgrade
2 Minis (MoCA/Ethernet)
Loach is offline  
Old 06-10-2013, 04:35 PM   #28
Loach
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Omaha, NE
Posts: 373
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmeeker View Post
Tebow to the Pats!!

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...ign-tim-tebow/

Now Boston gets to deal with the hype and baggage.
If they're smart (and they are) I would guess they're looking at him at another position. He might make a good fullback, H-Back or tight end.
__________________
Roamio Pro (MoCA)
Premiere 4 (MoCA) w/2TB WD20EURS upgrade
2 Minis (MoCA/Ethernet)
Loach is offline  
Old 06-10-2013, 05:17 PM   #29
Dan203
Super Moderator
 
Dan203's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Nevada
Posts: 24,828
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loach View Post
Although I disagree with your view, you are entitled to it. I presume you are also OK with 3 consenting adults getting married? I mean, if 3 consenting adults really love each other, why shouldn't they be able to get married? Wouldn't you agree that 2 is just an arbitrary number?
I don't personally care about plural marriage, but it would be a problem from a tax/legal perspective so I can understand why there is a 2 person limit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loach View Post
Interracial couples can produce children, by the way. Gay couples cannot. Every child has 1 mother and 1 father. That is a biological certainty.
Why does marriage have anything to do with children? There are straight couples who get married late in life, well after they are capable of having children, and that's OK. My wife and I got married and we have no intention of ever having children, and that was OK. There are couples that get married knowing full well that one or the other is infertile and that's OK. There are also millions of children born to couples who are not married, some who barely even know one another, and that's OK. Having children and getting married are two completely separate things, neither requiring the other to be valid.

Marriage is a contract that provides the two people involved certain tax/legal benefits. From that perspective there is absolutely no difference between a man/woman couple and a same sex couple. Any two consenting adults should be allowed to get married and afforded all the benefits that marriage provides.

People who oppose same sex marriage do so either because of religious beliefs or because they think it's icky. Either way it's bigotry!
__________________
Dan Haddix
Super Moderator
Developer for VideoReDo
Dan203 is offline  
Old 06-10-2013, 05:43 PM   #30
Loach
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Omaha, NE
Posts: 373
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
Why does marriage have anything to do with children? There are straight couples who get married late in life, well after they are capable of having children, and that's OK. My wife and I got married and we have no intention of ever having children, and that was OK. There are couples that get married knowing full well that one or the other is infertile and that's OK. There are also millions of children born to couples who are not married, some who barely even know one another, and that's OK. Having children and getting married are two completely separate things, neither requiring the other to be valid.

Marriage is a contract that provides the two people involved certain tax/legal benefits. From that perspective there is absolutely no difference between a man/woman couple and a same sex couple. Any two consenting adults should be allowed to get married and afforded all the benefits that marriage provides.

People who oppose same sex marriage do so either because of religious beliefs or because they think it's icky. Either way it's bigotry!
We'll have to disagree that millions of children born outside of marriage is "OK". Studies have shown that children of married couples have generally better outcomes in many different areas, including poverty and substance abuse. The state's interest in promoting marriage is for the benefit of children.

So gay people who oppose gay marriage are bigots too? Bigoted against themselves presumably?
__________________
Roamio Pro (MoCA)
Premiere 4 (MoCA) w/2TB WD20EURS upgrade
2 Minis (MoCA/Ethernet)
Loach is offline  
Closed Thread
Forum Jump




Thread Tools


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Advertisements

TiVo Community
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Skins by: Relivo Media

(C) 2013 Magenium Solutions - All Rights Reserved. No information may be posted elsewhere without written permission.
TiVoŽ is a registered trademark of TiVo Inc. This site is not owned or operated by TiVo Inc.
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:23 AM.
OUR NETWORK: MyOpenRouter | TechLore | SansaCommunity | RoboCommunity | MediaSmart Home | Explore3DTV | Dijit Community | DVR Playground |