TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-29-2013, 11:20 PM   #5281
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by christheman View Post
I was just wondering if you or anyone else have actually downloaded a "partial" file since the 20.3.1 upgrade. Does the Tivo still have this glitch, or might that have been corrected at the source?

I know, I'm feeling optimistic this evening.
????

It sounds like you're talking about exactly what I and others have been talking about -- resume download is BROKEN.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 11:40 PM   #5282
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by christheman View Post
I was just wondering if you or anyone else have actually downloaded a "partial" file since the 20.3.1 upgrade. Does the Tivo still have this glitch, or might that have been corrected at the source?

I know, I'm feeling optimistic this evening.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
????

It sounds like you're talking about exactly what I and others have been talking about -- resume download is BROKEN.
I think he's talking about the problem of a download being stopped by a bad spot in the recording.

Doubtful that it has been fixed. No way of knowing unless someone still has a recording on one of their Premieres which had that problem.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 10:48 AM   #5283
wireman121

Feature Request

I have a feature request and a possible change/enhancement. Would it be possible to have kmttg, while its automatically checking for shows it should be automatically downloading, to see if a pytivo push after comcut was successful and if so delete associated files off the pc? For example:

kmttg set to loop auto transfers in GUI
kmttg finds a show it needs to auto transfer, and does its thing. runs ad detect, ad cut, and pushes back to TiVo.
Then kmttg loops in GUI again, sees that the file transferred back, the duration matches the duration of the file on the PC, checks to see if the file is still locked by pytivo, if not, it deletes it and the meta file.

Also - could you make it so that the "loop in gui" checkbox remembers its state when kmttg is exited and restarted?
wireman121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 11:59 AM   #5284
moyekj

Not really feasible for the pyTivo post-push delete. pyTivo is completely independent from kmttg so kmttg would really not have any idea when the push is complete. Best place for that functionality would be in pyTivo plugin since it knows when a push completes and exactly which file was pushed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 12:34 PM   #5285
sanjonny

Quote:
Originally Posted by wireman121 View Post
kmttg set to loop auto transfers in GUI
kmttg finds a show it needs to auto transfer, and does its thing. runs ad detect, ad cut, and pushes back to TiVo.
I maybe missing some critical setting or something, but pretty much almost every file I download needs some review via me after vrd adscan has been run because it misses commercials or takes to much of the program or whatever. There are some stations where in general, it does really well most of the time (BBCHD America for example) but there are others (Military Chan, Nat Geo) where I would likely loose half the program if I let it all be automated.

Is there possibly a configuration change to VRD I have missed to make is so accurate I don't have to worry? I am just amazed that anyone can do this without review the commercials and have anything like even a 50% accuracy.
sanjonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 12:50 PM   #5286
sanjonny

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlippert View Post
moyekj, it doesn't look that dire actually.

1st:

So you've got over 6 months before you're shut off.

And then google just suggests using google Drive, and that seems like it provides plenty of space and isn't that tough to set up.
https://code.google.com/p/support/wiki/DownloadsFAQ

Anyway, just thought I'd mention it.
Having lots of experience with both and with so much good work you have done on google code, I would say that newer users, the ones that have the most trouble of course, probably find it much easier to navigate google code than sourceforge.

I see you have already pretty much moved it all, but just wanted to throw my 1.5 cents in because I personally just hate the way sourceforge is structured and don't love everything about googcode either, it seems nobody really designs those sites with less technical people in mind, but at least on google code, it seems easier to get to everything you want and tracking and such.
sanjonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 01:04 PM   #5287
wireman121

I use the review option still, as like you some stations go very well with the detect and delete and some others wipe out way too much or not enough of the show.

I was thinking kmttg could compare the length of the file that it pushed to the length of the file when it refreshes the list of whats on the TiVo, and if the lengths, show names, etc match then it would know it transferred correctly and delete the local file. It wouldn't need to rely on pytivo at all, it would use whats already within kmttg to just compare the file in TiVo and the local file.
wireman121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 06:43 PM   #5288
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjonny View Post
Is there possibly a configuration change to VRD I have missed to make is so accurate I don't have to worry? I am just amazed that anyone can do this without review the commercials and have anything like even a 50% accuracy.
Its not always possible. VRD uses 2 sec of blank screen to mark in any possible commercials. Sometimes the commercials pop in so fast, there is no blank screen at all and throws off VRD and does not mark up the break. Since VRD needs 2 blank screens, if there isn't a blank screen until the next break event, it will cut the actual program.
OTA! OTA! OTA!

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 12:54 AM   #5289
brykasch

found my solution

Last edited by brykasch : 06-06-2013 at 01:04 AM.
brykasch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 02:21 AM   #5290
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by brykasch View Post
found my solution
It would've been nice to have posted that solution here, instead of deleting your question -- you know, to potentially help others in the future

- a list of some favorite browser add-ons that help make TCF even more enjoyable!
Fofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 08:23 AM   #5291
Ichinisan

Before I spend hours reading and researching, can someone tell me if this procedure keeps closed captions intact?

Also, I don't see it specifically stated that you must purchase VideoReDo. Isn't that a requirement? Is there any way to get a discount on it?
Ichinisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 10:09 AM   #5292
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichinisan View Post
Before I spend hours reading and researching, can someone tell me if this procedure keeps closed captions intact?

Also, I don't see it specifically stated that you must purchase VideoReDo. Isn't that a requirement? Is there any way to get a discount on it?
Depends. What are your trying to accomplish? For example if you just download and decrypt a program then captions will be available in resulting mpeg2 video file. If you need to go further to perhaps cut out commercials and/or encode video to a different format for a mobile device and you want to preserve captions then VideoRedo is highly recommended. If you do want to generate a re-encoded video and captions are not required in the resulting video then VideoRedo is not necessary.
VideoRedo has a fully functional and free trial period and there is a $50 VideoRedo Plus option available which can be used.

Old 06-06-2013, 07:53 PM   #5293
howards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichinisan View Post

If all you want to do is copy a Tivo file from the Tivo to your computer for archiving and later copy it back to the Tivo for playback, captions will be preserved. You must enable Tivo Stream format for the transfers on newer Tivos for this to work.

I do not have VideoReDo, and I perform the above steps regularly.

As the previous poster said, if you decide to process the file whether captions are preserved is up to you and what you do.
howards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 09:49 PM   #5294
howards

New Feature suggestion and a question

I like that kmttg tells me the transfer speed when a transfer is completed. As a suggestion, how about adding a "current transfer speed" for in-process transfers? This could show as an extra field in the jobs queue area or an extension of the current jobs queue status field. ("Current transfer speed" is just an instantaneous snapshot of data transferred divided by time spent, refreshed at a reasonable interval - however often you're updating transfer status now.)

Would be useful for performance testing purposes.

---------------

BTW, what does the Mbps field already present at the far right of the Now Playing area tell me?

Thanks!
Old 06-08-2013, 10:18 PM   #5295
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by howards View Post
I like that kmttg tells me the transfer speed when a transfer is completed. As a suggestion, how about adding a "current transfer speed" for in-process transfers? This could show as an extra field in the jobs queue area or an extension of the current jobs queue status field. ("Current transfer speed" is just an instantaneous snapshot of data transferred divided by time spent, refreshed at a reasonable interval - however often you're updating transfer status now.)

Would be useful for performance testing purposes.

---------------

BTW, what does the Mbps field already present at the far right of the Now Playing area tell me?

Thanks!
It already does that in STATUS column (gives you instantaneous Mbps) as long as you don't have "Show estimated time remaining for downloads" option turned on.
The "Mbps" column in NPL table is an estimate of average bit rate for the recording which is simply total Mbytes divided by # seconds which is a quick quality indicator.

Old 06-09-2013, 12:17 AM   #5296
howards

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
It already does that in STATUS column (gives you instantaneous Mbps) as long as you don't have "Show estimated time remaining for downloads" option turned on.
The "Mbps" column in NPL table is an estimate of average bit rate for the recording which is simply total Mbytes divided by # seconds which is a quick quality indicator.
Didn't realize that about the status column! (Duh.) Thanks for the info!

Next enhancement request <grin>: can we have both estimated remaining time and average bit rate simultaneously available? It wouldn't hurt if the status column were wider.
Old 06-10-2013, 12:14 PM   #5297
jdwheel1

Bug in Autotransfer or dumb user?

I love your program and have installed the latest v1p0a version.

If this is discussed elsewhere in the topic, I could not find it. I am trying to download, decrypt and encode episodes from my Series 4 automatically. I have set up the autotrasfer and it works fine in GUI mode but it does not work when new programs matching the criteria are added while is is running in the background.

When looking through the log file I find that the autotransfer function finds the new programs while they are being recorded on the Elite and of course skips the transfer. 60 minutes later when it runs again, it skips the download since it "thinks" that program ID has already been transferred. It seems like an entry has erroneously been made to the already transferred file or maybe I configured the parameters wrong.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Maybe I should reset the timer for running the script to 1440 minutes (24 hours) and restart the service outside of prime time so there is never a conflict with recording shows. I can also manually remove the conflicting shows from the already transferred listing to test the automatic transfer.
jdwheel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 12:28 PM   #5298
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdwheel1 View Post
I love your program and have installed the latest v1p0a version.

If this is discussed elsewhere in the topic, I could not find it. I am trying to download, decrypt and encode episodes from my Series 4 automatically. I have set up the autotrasfer and it works fine in GUI mode but it does not work when new programs matching the criteria are added while is is running in the background.

When looking through the log file I find that the autotransfer function finds the new programs while they are being recorded on the Elite and of course skips the transfer. 60 minutes later when it runs again, it skips the download since it "thinks" that program ID has already been transferred. It seems like an entry has erroneously been made to the already transferred file or maybe I configured the parameters wrong.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Maybe I should reset the timer for running the script to 1440 minutes (24 hours) and restart the service outside of prime time so there is never a conflict with recording shows. I can also manually remove the conflicting shows from the already transferred listing to test the automatic transfer.
When shows are skipped because they are still recording there should be no entry added to auto.history file which is what keeps track of what's already been processed. Only following a successful download will entries be added there. If there is a program not being processed because of this then you can look for in in auto.history file and remove it and then next time auto transfers run it will be processed again. NOTE: When you download shows via GUI they will also be added to auto.history file and hence marked as already processed.

Old 06-10-2013, 06:50 PM   #5299
jdwheel1

Quote:
When shows are skipped because they are still recording there should be no entry added to auto.history file which is what keeps track of what's already been processed. Only following a successful download will entries be added there. If there is a program not being processed because of this then you can look for in in auto.history file and remove it and then next time auto transfers run it will be processed again. NOTE: When you download shows via GUI they will also be added to auto.history file and hence marked as already processed.
Thanks for the FAST reply. You are right.... it is not a problem in transferring... it is the decode. In carefully reading the log file I do see that the issue is the QSFIX routine under the automated process. When I run the decrypt, qsfix, encode in GUI mode both in the "normal screen" and "Auto Transfers" all works fine. When I set it to run in the "automatic service" mode. I get an error (copied below). By the way I have upgraded to VideoReDo version 4 (version 3 is installed also) and the program config page points to the version 4 directory.

By the way; for me to install, turn on or stop the auto service, I have to go my c:/kmttg location and "run as administrator" (will not work from the menu within the program). When I installed kmttg I don't think I had to "run ans administrator"

Any suggestions of what I have done wrong will be appreciated. I was able to make this work on old versions of kmttg and VideoReDo.

2013_06_10_17:33:24 NOTE: VideoRedo video dimensions filter is enabled
2013_06_10_17:33:24 NOTE: container=mpeg, video=mpeg2video, x=1920, y=1080
2013_06_10_17:33:24 >> Running qsfix on D:\Users\Dan\Videos\Decrypted TiVo\Mad Men - Favors (06_09_2013).TiVo ...
2013_06_10_17:33:24 C:\Windows\system32\cscript.exe //nologo C:\kmttg\VRDscripts\qsfix.vbs "D:\Users\Dan\Videos\Decrypted TiVo\Mad Men - Favors (06_09_2013).TiVo" "D:\Users\Dan\Videos\Decrypted TiVo\Mad Men - Favors (06_09_2013).mpg.qsfix" /l:C:\kmttg\VRDLock1507694522307505763.tmp /c:mpeg /v:mpeg2video /x:1920 /y:1080
2013_06_10_17:33:28 ERROR: qsfix failed (exit code: 0 ) - check command: C:\Windows\system32\cscript.exe //nologo C:\kmttg\VRDscripts\qsfix.vbs "D:\Users\Dan\Videos\Decrypted TiVo\Mad Men - Favors (06_09_2013).TiVo" "D:\Users\Dan\Videos\Decrypted TiVo\Mad Men - Favors (06_09_2013).mpg.qsfix" /l:C:\kmttg\VRDLock1507694522307505763.tmp /c:mpeg /v:mpeg2video /x:1920 /y:1080
2013_06_10_17:33:28 ERROR: C:\kmttg\VRDscripts\qsfix.vbs(61, 4) WScript.CreateObject: Could not create object named "VideoReDo.VideoReDoSilent".
2013_06_10_17:33:30 ERROR: mpeg file not given or doesn't exist: D:\Users\Dan\Videos\Decrypted TiVo\Mad Men - Favors (06_09_2013).mpg
2013_06_10_17:33:31 NOTE: VideoRedo video dimensions filter is enabled
2013_06_10_17:33:31 NOTE: container=mpeg, video=mpeg2video, x=528, y=480
2013_06_10_17:33:31 >> Running qsfix on D:\Users\Dan\Videos\Decrypted TiVo\Food Network Star - Burger Bash (06_09_2013).TiVo ...
2013_06_10_17:33:31 C:\Windows\system32\cscript.exe //nologo C:\kmttg\VRDscripts\qsfix.vbs "D:\Users\Dan\Videos\Decrypted TiVo\Food Network Star - Burger Bash (06_09_2013).TiVo" "D:\Users\Dan\Videos\Decrypted TiVo\Food Network Star - Burger Bash (06_09_2013).mpg.qsfix" /l:C:\kmttg\VRDLock6224473790413484445.tmp /c:mpeg /v:mpeg2video /x:528 /y:480
2013_06_10_17:33:33 ERROR: qsfix failed (exit code: 0 ) - check command: C:\Windows\system32\cscript.exe //nologo C:\kmttg\VRDscripts\qsfix.vbs "D:\Users\Dan\Videos\Decrypted TiVo\Food Network Star - Burger Bash (06_09_2013).TiVo" "D:\Users\Dan\Videos\Decrypted TiVo\Food Network Star - Burger Bash (06_09_2013).mpg.qsfix" /l:C:\kmttg\VRDLock6224473790413484445.tmp /c:mpeg /v:mpeg2video /x:528 /y:480
2013_06_10_17:33:33 ERROR: C:\kmttg\VRDscripts\qsfix.vbs(61, 4) WScript.CreateObject: Could not create object named "VideoReDo.VideoReDoSilent".
2013_06_10_17:33:35 ERROR: mpeg file not given or doesn't exist: D:\Users\Dan\Videos\Decrypted TiVo\Food Network Star - Burger Bash (06_09_2013).mpg

UPDATE : suggestions to read the documentation fixed all of the problems. THANKS TO moyekj

Last edited by jdwheel1 : 06-11-2013 at 08:03 PM. Reason: updated to include fix
jdwheel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 07:28 PM   #5300
jonathan.ibell

kmttg transfers incomplete - any ideas please??!!

Hi there

I've had to reinstall my OS and therefore kmttg; I have previously had it (and TiVo Desktop Plus) working fine, though not without many hassles.

Now... TiVo Desktop Plus is transferring material fine, however kmttg is back to its old tricks of transferring incomplete files. (Note: this is a transfer problem not a conversion issue.)

Files transferred are small in size - most of the time around only 15KB (these files don't open at all, unsurprisingly); occasionally they've been larger, and will open but contain audio only.

Can anyone provide some ideas as to what may be causing this problem and how to resolve it?

Unsure if it's relevant, but my TiVos are New Zealand models.

Appreciate the assistance.

Cheers
Jonathan

Edit:

Have confirmed a trend with the issue; whether the audio only is downloaded or if the download is a complete failure depends on the channel from which it is downloaded.

Programmes on the HD channels (which includes dolby digital audio) - transfer with audio only
Programmes on the SD channels (with standard audio only) - complete file failure

Please note - I have previously been able to transfer ALL programmes, no matter what channel they've been recorded from.

Also, even for the files that transfer with audio - it's not a playback issue, as only the audio is transferred (eg, file sizes make it very clear video isn't included). Further, files transferred via the TiVo software include video and audio and play back fine.

Last edited by jonathan.ibell : 06-10-2013 at 07:48 PM. Reason: Added in additional comments
jonathan.ibell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 08:53 PM   #5301
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathan.ibell View Post
Hi there

I've had to reinstall my OS and therefore kmttg; I have previously had it (and TiVo Desktop Plus) working fine, though not without many hassles.

Now... TiVo Desktop Plus is transferring material fine, however kmttg is back to its old tricks of transferring incomplete files. (Note: this is a transfer problem not a conversion issue.)

Files transferred are small in size - most of the time around only 15KB (these files don't open at all, unsurprisingly); occasionally they've been larger, and will open but contain audio only.

Can anyone provide some ideas as to what may be causing this problem and how to resolve it?

Unsure if it's relevant, but my TiVos are New Zealand models.

Appreciate the assistance.

Cheers
Jonathan

Edit:

Have confirmed a trend with the issue; whether the audio only is downloaded or if the download is a complete failure depends on the channel from which it is downloaded.

Programmes on the HD channels (which includes dolby digital audio) - transfer with audio only
Programmes on the SD channels (with standard audio only) - complete file failure

Please note - I have previously been able to transfer ALL programmes, no matter what channel they've been recorded from.

Also, even for the files that transfer with audio - it's not a playback issue, as only the audio is transferred (eg, file sizes make it very clear video isn't included). Further, files transferred via the TiVo software include video and audio and play back fine.
You most likely need to turn on "Download TiVo files in Transport Stream format" option under kmttg config-Program Options section since I'm guessing the New Zealand broadcasts are using H.264.

Old 06-10-2013, 08:54 PM   #5302
moyekj

I think the answers you are looking for are covered in VideoRedo_configuration Wiki. There are some special considerations to get VideoRedo running in service mode.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdwheel1 View Post
Thanks for the FAST reply. You are right.... it is not a problem in transferring... it is the decode. In carefully reading the log file I do see that the issue is the QSFIX routine under the automated process. When I run the decrypt, qsfix, encode in GUI mode both in the "normal screen" and "Auto Transfers" all works fine. When I set it to run in the "automatic service" mode. I get an error (copied below). By the way I have upgraded to VideoReDo version 4 (version 3 is installed also) and the program config page points to the version 4 directory.

By the way; for me to install, turn on or stop the auto service, I have to go my c:/kmttg location and "run as administrator" (will not work from the menu within the program). When I installed kmttg I don't think I had to "run ans administrator"

Any suggestions of what I have done wrong will be appreciated. I was able to make this work on old versions of kmttg and VideoReDo.

2013_06_10_17:33:24 NOTE: VideoRedo video dimensions filter is enabled
2013_06_10_17:33:24 NOTE: container=mpeg, video=mpeg2video, x=1920, y=1080
2013_06_10_17:33:24 >> Running qsfix on D:\Users\Dan\Videos\Decrypted TiVo\Mad Men - Favors (06_09_2013).TiVo ...
2013_06_10_17:33:24 C:\Windows\system32\cscript.exe //nologo C:\kmttg\VRDscripts\qsfix.vbs "D:\Users\Dan\Videos\Decrypted TiVo\Mad Men - Favors (06_09_2013).TiVo" "D:\Users\Dan\Videos\Decrypted TiVo\Mad Men - Favors (06_09_2013).mpg.qsfix" /l:C:\kmttg\VRDLock1507694522307505763.tmp /c:mpeg /v:mpeg2video /x:1920 /y:1080
2013_06_10_17:33:28 ERROR: qsfix failed (exit code: 0 ) - check command: C:\Windows\system32\cscript.exe //nologo C:\kmttg\VRDscripts\qsfix.vbs "D:\Users\Dan\Videos\Decrypted TiVo\Mad Men - Favors (06_09_2013).TiVo" "D:\Users\Dan\Videos\Decrypted TiVo\Mad Men - Favors (06_09_2013).mpg.qsfix" /l:C:\kmttg\VRDLock1507694522307505763.tmp /c:mpeg /v:mpeg2video /x:1920 /y:1080
2013_06_10_17:33:28 ERROR: C:\kmttg\VRDscripts\qsfix.vbs(61, 4) WScript.CreateObject: Could not create object named "VideoReDo.VideoReDoSilent".
2013_06_10_17:33:30 ERROR: mpeg file not given or doesn't exist: D:\Users\Dan\Videos\Decrypted TiVo\Mad Men - Favors (06_09_2013).mpg
2013_06_10_17:33:31 NOTE: VideoRedo video dimensions filter is enabled
2013_06_10_17:33:31 NOTE: container=mpeg, video=mpeg2video, x=528, y=480
2013_06_10_17:33:31 >> Running qsfix on D:\Users\Dan\Videos\Decrypted TiVo\Food Network Star - Burger Bash (06_09_2013).TiVo ...
2013_06_10_17:33:31 C:\Windows\system32\cscript.exe //nologo C:\kmttg\VRDscripts\qsfix.vbs "D:\Users\Dan\Videos\Decrypted TiVo\Food Network Star - Burger Bash (06_09_2013).TiVo" "D:\Users\Dan\Videos\Decrypted TiVo\Food Network Star - Burger Bash (06_09_2013).mpg.qsfix" /l:C:\kmttg\VRDLock6224473790413484445.tmp /c:mpeg /v:mpeg2video /x:528 /y:480
2013_06_10_17:33:33 ERROR: qsfix failed (exit code: 0 ) - check command: C:\Windows\system32\cscript.exe //nologo C:\kmttg\VRDscripts\qsfix.vbs "D:\Users\Dan\Videos\Decrypted TiVo\Food Network Star - Burger Bash (06_09_2013).TiVo" "D:\Users\Dan\Videos\Decrypted TiVo\Food Network Star - Burger Bash (06_09_2013).mpg.qsfix" /l:C:\kmttg\VRDLock6224473790413484445.tmp /c:mpeg /v:mpeg2video /x:528 /y:480
2013_06_10_17:33:33 ERROR: C:\kmttg\VRDscripts\qsfix.vbs(61, 4) WScript.CreateObject: Could not create object named "VideoReDo.VideoReDoSilent".
2013_06_10_17:33:35 ERROR: mpeg file not given or doesn't exist: D:\Users\Dan\Videos\Decrypted TiVo\Food Network Star - Burger Bash (06_09_2013).mpg

Old 06-10-2013, 09:33 PM   #5303
jonathan.ibell

Quote:
You most likely need to turn on "Download TiVo files in Transport Stream format" option under kmttg config-Program Options section since I'm guessing the New Zealand broadcasts are using H.264.
Halleluiah! Yep, NZ does use H.264. With that box ticked it’s now transferring as it should… I didn’t realise it would be so easy, and clearly I’d forgotten ticking this box last time I installed the programme.

Thanks so much for the prompt assistance – great to have it all up and running again.
jonathan.ibell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 01:17 AM   #5304
howards

kmttg performance improvement?

I posted in the Premiere topic:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=505329

about some of my experiences after configuring an 801.11ac access point/bridge combination and the resultant performance. I was using kmttg transfers to test performance.

Performance was initially very disappointing - only about 30Mbps. Then I had the idea of switching my kmttg upload target from a USB 2.0 RAID disk (which I assume is low performance) to a motherboard SATA disk. Transfer performance immediately doubled to 60Mbps, in line with what some other people are seeing.

This suggests to me a possible performance improvement in kmttg. If the code were multithreaded so that the task that writes to the disk is independent of the task that transfers from the Tivo, I think one would see faster transfers. I did not go look at the source to see if this is already multithreaded. I think my test here shows that kmttg is I/O bound on the disk writes (which is a surprising result to me).
Old 06-11-2013, 09:03 AM   #5305
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by howards View Post
I posted in the Premiere topic:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=505329

about some of my experiences after configuring an 801.11ac access point/bridge combination and the resultant performance. I was using kmttg transfers to test performance.

Performance was initially very disappointing - only about 30Mbps. Then I had the idea of switching my kmttg upload target from a USB 2.0 RAID disk (which I assume is low performance) to a motherboard SATA disk. Transfer performance immediately doubled to 60Mbps, in line with what some other people are seeing.

This suggests to me a possible performance improvement in kmttg. If the code were multithreaded so that the task that writes to the disk is independent of the task that transfers from the Tivo, I think one would see faster transfers. I did not go look at the source to see if this is already multithreaded. I think my test here shows that kmttg is I/O bound on the disk writes (which is a surprising result to me).
That's not really practical since if you don't write the accumulating incoming stream to disk right away that means you are storing it in memory, and using your example, up to 50% of the recording would need to be buffered in memory draining the machine of memory and affecting overall system performance. Set kmttg to download to a faster drive and then set subsequent steps in the flow to go to your USB drive.

Old 06-11-2013, 12:27 PM   #5306
mattack

Note, I *was* able to resume a transfer from my Premiere 4 to my Tivo HD the other day (I tried it again and had already chosen from paused point before I realized I thought it didn't work anymore). Anyway, it DID work.

So I tried with kmttg again. It DIDN'T work, but it didn't get an error either... It just stuck at 0 MB transferred for a a few minutes before I cancelled the download. (I know I have an older kmttg, since the resume from paused point was turned off automatically for Premiere on current kmttg.)

I haven't checked exact version #s on the Premiere, and I'm pretty busy this week, but I wonder if there was a slight update past the original seed version of the Tivo software to the final one that I think started widespread rollout (according to the other threads).
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 12:57 PM   #5307
moyekj

I haven't released version yet that ignores "resume" for series 4 TiVos. But I have 20.3.1 and it doesn't work and for me still puts TiVo web server in "server busy" state.

Old 06-11-2013, 06:38 PM   #5308
howards

Quote:
That's not really practical since if you don't write the accumulating incoming stream to disk right away that means you are storing it in memory, and using your example, up to 50% of the recording would need to be buffered in memory draining the machine of memory and affecting overall system performance.
That's not the way systems such as this are typically programmed. Yes, it uses some additional memory, but the amount used is controllable - you allocate a fixed set of multiple buffers worth of transfer data (which would be nowhere near the size of 50% of the recording). You tune the number (and size) of buffers through performance experimentation.

Moving the disk-writing to a separate thread allows overlap of the network transfer thread with the disk-writing, without requiring stalling the transfer thread every time you do a disk write. Performance of a disk-writing thread is likely to be bursty, since disks are subject to variable rotational delays. Having a separate disk writing thread also provides the opportunity to experiment with grouping multiple network transfer thread buffers into a single disk-write buffer and seeing if any additional performance is gained that way (the longer the buffer, the better the disk I/O performance on many OSes).

While I found out about this by having two different speeds of hard disk on my system, that doesn't mean the system is performing optimally on the faster disk. In fact, if kmttg is currently single-threaded, a performance increase should be achievable no matter how fast the disk is (limited by the network transfer speed) unless the OS releases the application to run state immediately after the disk write I/O call (before the physical disk write is performed). Very few systems do that - most systems suspend the I/O caller so that an error result can be returned from the I/O.

Java has the advantage of making experimenting with threads extremely easy. If you're familiar with the terminology, I'm just talking about standard producer/consumer threads - an ancient technique in computing.

FWIW, I'm a computer programmer with 30 years of specialization in systems realtime programming.

kmttg is a fantastic program as is, so I'm not pushing for anything. It's just an idea in case you're interested in experimenting. For all I know, kmttg might already be multithreaded. Since it's an issue I've dealt with many times, it caught my tweaker's eye.
Old 06-11-2013, 07:02 PM   #5309
moyekj

kmttg uses threads all over the place. You wouldn't be able to perform multiple tasks in parallel otherwise and of course you couldn't use the GUI while tasks are running if there wasn't any threading being used, and you wouldn't be able to see updating STATUS statistics, etc. Download tasks are no different than anything else and run in their own thread, but ultimately if you have a slow disk it's going to be slow writing to it no matter what games you play. Choose a faster disk to write to if you want faster downloads.

Old 06-11-2013, 08:08 PM   #5310
jdwheel1

Thanks for the help!

Thanks to moyekj for pointing in the right direction for fixing my trouble with automatic transfers. A careful read of the wiki documentation does answer many of the questions.... if I just had taken the time to read it... call me lazy.

KMTTG is fantastic for my needs.