TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-10-2013, 10:55 AM   #1
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Game of Throne character accents....does it matter?

Since the show takes place in a fictional land and a fictional time, do the accents of the characters matter to you?

Do the accents HAVE to be British or could it work if the characters had various American accents?
Old 06-10-2013, 10:59 AM   #2
astrohip
Stuart F

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveknj View Post
Since the show takes place in a fictional land and a fictional time, do the accents of the characters matter to you?

Do the accents HAVE to be British or could it work if the characters had various American accents?
I think we, as American viewers, are conditioned to hearing British accents for medieval era shows. So yes, the accents matter. If they used American accents, it would lose some of its authenticity.
astrohip is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 11:07 AM   #3
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
I think we, as American viewers, are conditioned to hearing British accents for medieval era shows. So yes, the accents matter. If they used American accents, it would lose some of its authenticity.
On the other hand "Once Upon a Time" sticks with their American accents when they go back to "Fairy Tale" time, which is sort of medieval times.
Old 06-10-2013, 11:10 AM   #4
allan
I survived the Mayan

I never really noticed accents until it was mentioned in these threads. I think a strong, noticeable accent would take me out of the moment.

BEEP
allan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 11:10 AM   #5
gossamer88
HDTV Snob

Most of these medieval movies/stories takes place in Europe (except GoT of course), so the British accents always seemed appropriate.
gossamer88 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 11:18 AM   #6
allan
I survived the Mayan

Very minor spoiler to the 6/9 ep of GoT, but it does relate to the language:

Spoiler:
When that girl was teaching Davros to read, he was struggling with the "G" in night. It seems Westrosian is just as illogical as English in spelling/pronunciation.

BEEP
allan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 11:38 AM   #7
jollygrunt777

It's hard to think of a medieval set show with actors speaking in anything other than British accents. Didn't costener try it with Robin Hood with mixed results?

Using Tapatalk 2
jollygrunt777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 11:41 AM   #8
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollygrunt777 View Post
It's hard to think of a medieval set show with actors speaking in anything other than British accents. Didn't costener try it with Robin Hood with mixed results?
That was the opposite problem. Everybody spoke with British accents, including Costner...but he was so terrible at it, halfway through filming they told him to stop. And his American accent in that context stood out as much as his crappy English accent.

I think if EVERYBODY spoke with American accents, people would get used to it pretty quickly. If it were a mish-mash, that would really stand out.

English accents in medieval shows doesn't really raise my eyebrows, since there actually WAS an English language in the Middle Ages. But I laugh when they always have Romans speaking with English accents, centuries before Anglo-Saxon came along, much less English. And that gets to the core of the matter...it's not about what accent is appropriate; it's purely cultural. We have been trained to associate English accents with olde-timey stuff.
Old 06-10-2013, 11:45 AM   #9
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
That was the opposite problem. Everybody spoke with British accents, including Costner...but he was so terrible at it, halfway through filming they told him to stop. And his American accent in that context stood out as much as his crappy English accent.

I think if EVERYBODY spoke with American accents, people would get used to it pretty quickly. If it were a mish-mash, that would really stand out.
That was my thinking. Although, in Once Upon a Time, you do have a mix, and I don't feel it stands out. Maybe the American accents work because the characters are living in Maine too. (they should have New England accents, but I digress.

That's actually kind of a weird thing about American TV. So many shows take place in New York, but rarely do the characters have New York accents. My favorite was NYPD Blue where Sipowicz clearly had a Chicago accent and was a NY cop.
Old 06-10-2013, 11:59 AM   #10
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
That was my thinking. Although, in Once Upon a Time, you do have a mix, and I don't feel it stands out.
They're also characters who come from a variety of lands, and in fact a variety of worlds...
Old 06-10-2013, 12:06 PM   #11
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
They're also characters who come from a variety of lands, and in fact a variety of worlds...
Very true. I'm just thinking that the story revolves around princesses, and queens and kings and so forth, so our natural thought would be English...but then it wouldn't work them living in Maine.
Old 06-10-2013, 12:39 PM   #12
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by gossamer88 View Post
Most of these medieval movies/stories takes place in Europe (except GoT of course), so the British accents always seemed appropriate.
And GoT takes place in a fictional land that not so subtly resembles Britain, Europe, and the Middle East.
Old 06-10-2013, 01:17 PM   #13
Honora

Quote:

English accents in medieval shows doesn't really raise my eyebrows, since there actually WAS an English language in the Middle Ages. But I laugh when they always have Romans speaking with English accents, centuries before Anglo-Saxon came along, much less English. And that gets to the core of the matter...it's not about what accent is appropriate; it's purely cultural. We have been trained to associate English accents with olde-timey stuff.
Hey Rob, remember "Yonda lies the castle of my Faddah."

To use I, Claudius as a good example of accent usage, having the high class Romans speaking in upper class British accents and the lower classes using co-responding accents makes sense. It made it clear who was where in the social order.

There was a miniseries in the 80's based on the Last Days of Pompeii, and while most of the Romans were Brits, there were some Americans using their own accents but for a purpose. I remember Ned Beatty played a guy from the provinces who made a lot of money and was trying to get into society. His accent had him pegged as a pushy outsider from the get-go.
Honora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 01:59 PM   #14
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honora View Post
Hey Rob, remember "Yonda lies the castle of my Faddah."

To use I, Claudius as a good example of accent usage, having the high class Romans speaking in upper class British accents and the lower classes using co-responding accents makes sense. It made it clear who was where in the social order.

There was a miniseries in the 80's based on the Last Days of Pompeii, and while most of the Romans were Brits, there were some Americans using their own accents but for a purpose. I remember Ned Beatty played a guy from the provinces who made a lot of money and was trying to get into society. His accent had him pegged as a pushy outsider from the get-go.
Well to be fair, I Claudius was a British production. That would have made it even MORE shocking to have that particular show with the characters having an American accent.

There's been plenty of shows/movies that took place in ancient times where the characters did not have British accents. Ben Her and The Ten Commandments come to mind. I do think this being in a time that resembles the Middle Ages, that an English accent seems normal based on what we have been conditioned to (forgetting that there were similar feudal systems throughout Europe and not all of them spoke English ).
Old 06-10-2013, 03:16 PM   #15
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
Nope, not one bit.
Old 06-10-2013, 10:38 PM   #16
astrohip
Stuart F

Quote:
On the other hand "Once Upon a Time" sticks with their American accents when they go back to "Fairy Tale" time, which is sort of medieval times.
To me, OUaT is a fantasy show, not medieval. Accents don't really play a role.

Quote:
And that gets to the core of the matter...it's not about what accent is appropriate; it's purely cultural. We have been trained to associate English accents with olde-timey stuff.
This. It's what we're conditioned to hear.
astrohip is online now   Reply With Quote