Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-21-2013, 05:54 PM   #1
cwerdna
Proud Tivolutionary

Anthony Bourdain Parts Unknown - all eps

Anyone watching?

I stumbled across it last night as my TiVo was tuned to it. I ended up recording the show.

Interesting to see how poor and undeveloped Myanmar is. I never knew much about the country but had known about the military junta. I'd met people from Burma (when it was still called that) once I was was MUCH younger and someone else from there when I was in college.

I've only watched some of the beginning and caught some in the middle. I'd be frankly a bit scared to be on a train where the infrastructure is such bad shape (the bouncing around). I'd never seen human powered Ferris wheels before. Looks like a very dangerous occupation.
cwerdna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 06:56 PM   #2
sieglinde

It was an interesting show and deeper than just about what people eat. He described a total dump of a restaurant as one of the best he has eaten at. He must have had a good local contact to get him into the right places and to meet interesting people. Tonight's episode is about Korea Town in Los Angeles. Meh, I will watch it to see if he can make America interesting.
Old 04-21-2013, 08:50 PM   #3
jsmeeker
Vegas Boy

Same normal usual "No Reservations", except now he gets to get to even more obscure places than before. Obviously, won't be for every episode.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jsmeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 09:16 PM   #4
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

Koreatown

Damn. Now I want a Halo-Halo.
Old 04-21-2013, 10:47 PM   #5
cwerdna
Proud Tivolutionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by sieglinde View Post
It was an interesting show and deeper than just about what people eat. He described a total dump of a restaurant as one of the best he has eaten at. He must have had a good local contact to get him into the right places and to meet interesting people.
No kidding re: his local contacts.

I have to say that much of the food in the Myanmar ep looked pretty good.

I kinda wonder about shows like his and Bizarre Foods w/Andrew Zimmern and the fear of eating from place where sanitation and hygiene aren't the best. I have hesitation esp. about street food in countries where their standards and enforcement are lax.

Side note: I wouldn't be able to recognize (w/o help) that the written script I saw was the Burmese language. It's always fascinated me a bit about how we humans can come up w/so many different written and spoken languages along w/how they evolve.
Old 04-22-2013, 08:15 AM   #6
Bob Coxner

I saw an interview with Bourdain in which he explained that one reason he moved to CNN was their ability to get him into places that he couldn't get to before. That was true for Myanmar/Burma. However, does it really take CNN contacts to get him into Koreatown? :-)

Other than the channel logos I don't see much difference between No Reservations and this one.
Bob Coxner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 10:01 AM   #7
sharkster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Coxner View Post
I saw an interview with Bourdain in which he explained that one reason he moved to CNN was their ability to get him into places that he couldn't get to before. That was true for Myanmar/Burma. However, does it really take CNN contacts to get him into Koreatown? :-)

Other than the channel logos I don't see much difference between No Reservations and this one.
(bolded by me) That's what I was thinking.

I just watched 'Myanmar' yesterday. The train sequence was a crack up. Not so sure I'd be willing to travel on that train, but kudos for them.

Yeah, Koreatown, LA next week. LMAO - It will be interesting, though.
sharkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 09:22 PM   #8
aintnosin
[Spoiler]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Coxner View Post
A) The cinematography is a lot better in the new show. More documentary and less cable reality show.

B) The commentary is a little more overtly political, at least in the first couple of shows.

C) CNN doesn't bleep all of his cuss words.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
aintnosin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 01:02 AM   #9
cwerdna
Proud Tivolutionary

Has anyone in the last few days successfully recorded the K-town ep? I've made 3 attempts on standard def CNN (2x on 4/28 and 1x on 4/27) and had no luck. Something else on CNN has aired (e.g. White House Correspondents' Dinner or Anderson Cooper 360).

I'm about to submit a guide data problem to TiVo...

Last edited by cwerdna : 04-29-2013 at 01:08 AM.
Old 04-29-2013, 08:56 AM   #10
jsmeeker
Vegas Boy

I got the Korea town episode on it's initial airing last Sunday night. Too funny he went to a Sizzler.

Old 04-29-2013, 09:16 AM   #11
cheesesteak
Meh.

Does he curse as much (and get bleeped) on CNN as he did on No Reservations?

A Cheesesteak always pays its debts
cheesesteak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 09:48 AM   #12
sharkster

I've been trying to get the Koreatown episode and it keeps turning out to be something else. I hate CNN. They have some of the most unreliable programming ever. Had one record the other day - checked it and, nope, it was something else. Trying again. *sigh*
Old 04-29-2013, 10:05 AM   #13
jsmeeker
Vegas Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkster View Post
I've been trying to get the Koreatown episode and it keeps turning out to be something else. I hate CNN. They have some of the most unreliable programming ever. Had one record the other day - checked it and, nope, it was something else. Trying again. *sigh*
It's gonna be tricky on CNN because they cover "breaking news" and you never know when news will "break". So far, the initial airing time has worked for every episode so far.

The Koreatown episode seemed to spend a good bit of time out of Koreatown. It was more liked "Some people FROM Koreatown"

Old 04-29-2013, 10:36 AM   #14
sharkster

Thanks for that info, Jeff. That time slot is all booked up for me, so I just try to pick up an episode here and there, as this is not a high priority show for me. I'm just picking the wrong ones. The airings I've chosen to record have been 'middle of the night' eps, so I figured I was pretty safe. But, so far, they have been reruns of shows about Boston or other such events.

Well, I just went in to check out the 'Koreatown' episode that I attempted for the third or fourth time to record, which was supposedly airing late at night, and you know it - something else was there instead. good grief. Right now none of the episodes on my Tivo guide have episode info and all of them show the same OAD, so I guess I'll hope to catch it some other time.

Last edited by sharkster : 04-29-2013 at 01:38 PM.
Old 04-29-2013, 10:44 AM   #15
supasta

My first thought was that this show would be the same as No Reservations. I watched No Reservations from time to time, but never really caught on for me. The first three episodes of the new show I have found different for whatever reason, and have really enjoyed it.

aintnosin's suggestions above I find very accurate as well.

XBOX LIVE: fiftyfootfang
supasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 02:21 PM   #16
Big Deficit
Happy now?

I wasn't even aware of this one. I used to be a big Bourdain fan and had an auto record wishlist for him. Then he did the craptacularly awful Taste, the exact opposite of everything he stood for beforehand and the wishlist got deleted. Maybe I'll check this one out, thanks for the heads up!
Old 06-09-2013, 03:35 AM   #17
cwerdna
Proud Tivolutionary

Anyone watch the Libya ep? I've watched the last 20 or 25 mins of it... need to go back and watch the beginning.
Old 06-09-2013, 11:23 AM   #18
jsmeeker
Vegas Boy

saw it

now I am getting a bunch of re-runs record. Must be bad guide data now. Season Pass is set to "FRO". it's even recording the same episode multiple times per night. the 28 day rule isn't even helping.

Grrrrr....

Old 06-09-2013, 12:26 PM   #19
Mikeyis4dcats

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmeeker View Post
It's gonna be tricky on CNN because they cover "breaking news" and you never know when news will "break". So far, the initial airing time has worked for every episode so far.

The Koreatown episode seemed to spend a good bit of time out of Koreatown. It was more liked "Some people FROM Koreatown"
just watched this ep, everywhere I saw him go was in Ktown, even the Sizzler
Mikeyis4dcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 01:52 PM   #20
bigpuma

Quote:
saw it

now I am getting a bunch of re-runs record. Must be bad guide data now. Season Pass is set to "FRO". it's even recording the same episode multiple times per night. the 28 day rule isn't even helping.

Grrrrr....
Yeah a lot of he shows have generic guide data so it is picking up re-runs. Otherwise I have been enjoying the show.
bigpuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 02:08 PM   #21
sieglinde

I was dissapointed by the episode about Morrocco. It was mainly about a bunch of decadent Europeans not Morroccans
Old 06-09-2013, 03:42 PM   #22
cwerdna
Proud Tivolutionary

I liked the Libya ep. It was good to see that there were people upbeat and happy now that Khadafy is gone. Hopefully they're thrive as a country and not end up as a country in anarchy.

It was interesting to see the buildings in Misrata and the destroyed buildings that were affiliated w/Khadafy.

I had no idea that there were such a large set of ruins from the Roman Empire that were in relatively good shape.

I would like to try that breakfast sometime.
Old 06-09-2013, 07:11 PM   #23
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

Quote:

Grrrrr....
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpuma View Post
Yeah a lot of he shows have generic guide data so it is picking up re-runs. Otherwise I have been enjoying the show.
It seems like the first airing of the new episode has real Guide Data and all the repeats have Generic Guide data. Exactly the right combination to screw up a FRO Season Pass. So I've been cleaning out the generics every few days.
Old 06-09-2013, 07:49 PM   #24
sieglinde

SP is deleted the minute tonight's season finalie is done the redone when it comes back in September
Old 06-09-2013, 07:51 PM   #25
cwerdna
Proud Tivolutionary

Yeah, the generic listings have been real annoying. I had to look at http://www.cnn.com/CNN/Programs/?hpt=hp_livenow last night.
Old 06-09-2013, 08:11 PM   #26
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by sieglinde View Post
SP is deleted the minute tonight's season finalie is done the redone when it comes back in September
Oh, tonight's is a season finale? Thanks for the heads-up.
Old 06-10-2013, 11:52 AM   #27
robojerk

I learned more about the Congo last night than I ever knew before.

New episodes in September.
Old 06-23-2013, 09:15 PM   #28
rahnbo

I give up on this show as long as its on CNN or any news network for that matter. Love all the Bourdain shows but trying to get it on CNN has been frustrating. The only 2 I was able to record were Colombia and Korea-town. I must have deleted 50+ eps that were supposed to be the show but were something else. The first week was just bad timing I get that it was a busy news week. Last night was just crazy with about 20 recordings supposed to be this show but instead were the exact same ep of a Nancy Grace women behind bars show over and over again.
rahnbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 09:21 PM   #29
Mikeyis4dcats

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahnbo View Post
I give up on this show as long as its on CNN or any news network for that matter. Love all the Bourdain shows but trying to get it on CNN has been frustrating. The only 2 I was able to record were Colombia and Korea-town. I must have deleted 50+ eps that were supposed to be the show but were something else. The first week was just bad timing I get that it was a busy news week. Last night was just crazy with about 20 recordings supposed to be this show but instead were the exact same ep of a Nancy Grace women behind bars show over and over again.

odd, recorded just fine for us, including several reruns we needed of the first couple of weeks
Mikeyis4dcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 09:22 PM   #30
rahnbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeyis4dcats View Post
odd, recorded just fine for us, including several reruns we needed of the first couple of weeks
The reruns I did get were of the two I had already seen.
rahnbo is offline   Reply With Quote