TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-09-2013, 07:44 PM   #1
mpaquette

Premiere owners with Time Warner

I have 2 Premieres that I strictly use with an attic antenna. We recently sold our house and will be moving into a rental temporarily. I can't install my attic antenna at the rental so I'm looking at subscribing to cable and where I live that's Time Warner. They use SDV here so a tuning adapter would be required. They charge $2.50 per month for the cable card and tuning adapter.

I've never used a cable card but it seems as though every cable card thread on here is one problem after a other. So what are my chances of having a positive experience? Is there such a thing with a TiVo, a cable card and Time Warner? I'd really prefer to keep my TiVos vs the rental stuff from Time Warner.
mpaquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 08:38 PM   #2
fritolayguy
Science, bitches

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpaquette View Post
I've never used a cable card but it seems as though every cable card thread on here is one problem after a other. So what are my chances of having a positive experience? Is there such a thing with a TiVo, a cable card and Time Warner? I'd really prefer to keep my TiVos vs the rental stuff from Time Warner.
Keep in mind that what you see on these boards are typically posts about issues that are causing problems. I have had Time Warner and cable cards for 4 years now, and while they have not been perfect, they are reliable for me about 99% of the time, with most of my issues coming from the SDV Tuning Adapter that is needed to receive all of the channels that are not received through the cable card itself. Depending on your area, TW should be able to give you a list of the channels that are SDV.

The Cable Card support through Time Warner has come a long way in the past two years, and I would not use the TW box regardless of any issues that I have with the cable cards and tuning adapter. The UI is clunky, slow, and I receive "mode not supported" errors on a one/two times per week basis.

I love my premiere box, and it is well worth any issues that I might have had.
fritolayguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 08:44 PM   #3
herbman

I can agree with the previous poster. Coming in on a year now on TWC. The TA may need a reboot once every 3 months but otherwise the setup is as stable as any other. I had fios previously, but this isn't as bad as a downgrade as I feared.
herbman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 04:19 PM   #4
PCurry57
Liberal Hippie Chick

Quote:
I have 2 Premieres that I strictly use with an attic antenna. We recently sold our house and will be moving into a rental temporarily. I can't install my attic antenna at the rental so I'm looking at subscribing to cable and where I live that's Time Warner. They use SDV here so a tuning adapter would be required. They charge $2.50 per month for the cable card and tuning adapter.

I'm a year and a half on TWC. I started with one TiVo and thinking I may move again and reactivate my DirecTV HD DVR's. After 9 months I decided I'd go ahead and add the second TiVo. I've had a lot of problems with Tuning Adapters. Just getting the first TiVo working semi stable took seven months, three tuning adapters and a new run. The problems were never TiVo issues. The Motorola Tuning Adapters have a very high failure rate. Adding my second TiVo at month 9 the TA in the self install kit was DOA. The replacement on the techs truck was also DOA.

99% of issues with service have always been tuning adapter issues, incomplete updates requiring power off and restart of the tuning adapter. These are usually indicated by the TiVo not recognizing that it's even there and the flashing light on the tuning adapter.

I too have two premiere's and get my locals OTA. I only recently migrated to using Time Warner for internet be warned they are planing a rate hike on modem rental; I chose to buy mine as modem/wifi combos' generally are not very good routers and provide poor wifi. Add wifi standards change much faster than cable standards.
----
TiVo Premiere {lifetime} WD1TB+w/slide remote(original)
TiVo Premiere {lifetime} WD1TB
TiVo Stream (happily streaming to Android)
PCurry57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 04:33 PM   #5
tatergator1

TWC CableCard install letter

I was able to get everything shipped directly to me (CableCard and TA). You can also usually find the self-install kits at the larger metropolitan areaTime Warner offices. Reference this letter once you get your CableCard and TA. I never got this when they shipped mine to me. The national CableCard number (1.866.606.5889) will save you a lot of headaches. They will get everything setup fairly easily and can troubleshoot most problems while your still on the phone. Calling the general TWC number on you billing statements is a waste of time, and if they help you at all, it will be to simply tell you to call the national number. Wait times for the national number can be up to an hour as there are only a few people staffing the number.

I've had my setup for nearly a year now and I'm happy. Like mentioned before, 99% reliable. The TA is always the issue, so I try to reboot mine once a month to keep it from locking-up. There are other TWC Tivo users that have less positive experiences, but I think it's a manageable setup for most.
tatergator1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 09:31 PM   #6
mpaquette

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I think I'm going give the cable card / tuning adapter thing a try. It's going to be about 3 weeks before we're in the new place and I can share my experience.

PCurry57 - Thanks for the heads up on the modem. I've been using TWC for internet for about a year now. I received the "in order to provide you with the best possible service, we're going to charge you $4.99 for that POS modem" letter about 5 months ago. I purchased a Motorola modem from Amazon and they activated it without issue. I'm hoping my TV experience with them goes as smoothly.
Old 07-09-2013, 08:38 PM   #7
mpaquette

Time Warner arrived today to install my cable cards and tuning adapters on my 2 Premieres. After about 4.5 hours of fiddling, unplugging, restarting etc., I have 1 completely working Premiere and 1 kind of working. The tuning adapter on the kind of working one won't stop flashing. They will be back tomorrow for more fiddling.

At this point I can say this went about as I expected. The installer was totally clueless about cable cards and even showed up without tuning adapters. Time Warner phone support was slightly more informed, but they ultimately want to send the tech back out to "check the wiring."
Old 07-09-2013, 10:09 PM   #8
MeInDallas

Did you call the cable card hotline at 1-866-606-5889 and tell them to send some signals to the tuning adapter? Customer service is useless.
MeInDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 09:45 PM   #9
mpaquette

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeInDallas View Post
Did you call the cable card hotline at 1-866-606-5889 and tell them to send some signals to the tuning adapter? Customer service is useless.
That's what I ended up doing last night after I realized the tuning adapter was blinking 8 times, pausing, repeating. I relayed that info to support person and he knew exactly what to do. After less than 5 minutes, the second tuning adapter is working. I cancelled the service call this morning. So for now, all is good. Hopefully it stays that way.
Old 07-17-2013, 01:09 AM   #10
Junglebook456

Quote:
That's what I ended up doing last night after I realized the tuning adapter was blinking 8 times, pausing, repeating. I relayed that info to support person and he knew exactly what to do. After less than 5 minutes, the second tuning adapter is working. I cancelled the service call this morning. So for now, all is good. Hopefully it stays that way.
Same thing happened to me today. The tech's in SC seem to be clueless. He was not ready to call the cable card hotline. Finally, he called them and got this working. Next time, self install
Junglebook456 is offline   Reply With Quote