TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-05-2013, 08:04 PM   #1
TonyTheTiger
Pro Troll Magnet

Deadliest Catch - OAD 6/04/2013

...and that, kids, is why you should never play with fireworks!

Ouch.

Will Elliot's woes ever end? I think he puts himself in the situations because he's a drama queen. And what's the deal with Val? A couple seasons ago, she was taking out a restraining order on him. Now she's accusing him of seeing another woman?

Weird.
Old 06-05-2013, 08:18 PM   #2
zordude
WDW Fan

TC CLUB MEMBER
That poor flower order taker and the novel he wanted on the card!
Old 06-05-2013, 08:19 PM   #3
Bob Coxner

Let the lawsuit begin. My boss tells me to go light off a huge bag of fireworks and I have a horrible accident.

I think Val's attitude may have changed when Elliott got a boat of his own.

Did you hear the quota of the Kiska Sea? 2.5 million pounds! I think they said the Northwestern quota was 1.5, so it's understandable that Jake is finding things running faster on his new boat.
DirecTV since 1999
Bob Coxner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 08:35 PM   #4
Ment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Coxner View Post
Let the lawsuit begin. My boss tells me to go light off a huge bag of fireworks and I have a horrible accident.

I think Val's attitude may have changed when Elliott got a boat of his own.

Did you hear the quota of the Kiska Sea? 2.5 million pounds! I think they said the Northwestern quota was 1.5, so it's understandable that Jake is finding things running faster on his new boat.
No, probably cause Elliott cleaned himself up for a couple seasons. She'd rather he not be a crab-fisherman. Seems they are still in the reconciliation phase of their relationship. In the Bait episode, Keith I think said Elliott had 400,000 lbs leased Opi quota and said he's going to find it hard to make money.
Ment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 06:22 AM   #5
jeepair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Coxner View Post
Boss tells you to jump off a bridge and you do is he responsible?

The camera crew appears to film EVERYTHING and I'm guessing they did have it filmed but didn't want to show it.
jeepair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 12:47 AM   #6
agentpaul

The captain of Kiska Sea is one tough no nonsense kind of boss. He really looks like someone you don't want to mess with. All business. Obviously the 2.5 million pounds of quota pretty much says it all.

One thing I noticed over the years watching DC. It seems every time DC features a one off boat, it's a boat with enormous quota and run in a very business like way. The way the captain of Kiska Sea talks and acts, it makes me wonder that there are probably no shenanigans on crews part. No incompetence. No whining on a bad string. No drama. Just do and get the job done, get paid, and go home.

It just makes me think that NW and TB, the most successful boats featured on DC, are small timers. Yet they talk about their fathers are legends. Kind of hard to think that it is. Even Keith's big boat doesn't even compare to Kiska Sea. I'm so shocked just from this first impression that the captain would even contemplate Jake Andersen eventually taking over the boat. How would even the crew respect him?
agentpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 06:58 AM   #7
RickyL
valar morghulis

You have to wonder how much they get to allow the filming. IOW, how much Discovery money did Jake bring with him.

"If You chose not to decide, you still have made a choice" Rush, Freewill
RickyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 08:27 AM   #8
Bob Coxner

A background story on the Kiska Sea: http://www.examiner.com/article/kisk...t-catch-series

A quote from a DC forum. Like posts on any thread on the net you can believe what you will:

I got the scoop on this last night. I had a good chat with one of the deckhands and I asked him how Jake is to work with. Apparently this was all scripted.
I have not yet seen the two most recent episodes, so you may have already seen this.

The DC crew talked Jake into purposely missing the pot when throwing the hook. I'm told he rarely misses. At the same time the DC crew prompted the skipper to say something over the loudhailer to imply that the Kiska crew is too fast for Jake.

Look for some sort of reaction from the Northwestern on this.

And another interesting story I found: http://www.alaskadispatch.com/articl...w-safest-catch

But a new study from the Centers for Disease Control shows that a 1999 safety program has cut deaths by 60 percent. The study also found that while the rate of deaths in Bering Sea crabbing was 260 per 100,000 from 2000 to 2009, the figure for Atlantic scallops was a much higher 425 deaths per 100,000 and a scary 600 for fishermen going after groundfish in the Northeast.

The CDC report said the Dungeness fleet on the West Coast has a higher fatality rate than the Bering Sea fleet, which led the federal agency to recommend safety improvements including better weather reporting, safer procedures for crossing river bars, and increased usage of life jackets.
DirecTV since 1999
Bob Coxner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 10:19 AM   #9
pmyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by agentpaul View Post
... How would even the crew respect him?
Well I guess that's why it is a 2 year plan and he's starting out by starting over and working as a greenhorn on the ship. I assume he'll move through all the positions over the next 2 years and will hopefully have proven himself by then.
pmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 10:59 AM   #10
snowjay
40mph couch potato

I predict Jake realizes the grass isn't always greener on the other side.
snowjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 08:58 PM   #11
windracer
joined the 10k club

Quote:
Originally Posted by zordude View Post
That poor flower order taker and the novel he wanted on the card!
I was a little confused about that. Was something written on the flower card that Val misinterpreted as Elliot seeing another woman? Did the flower store person do that on purpose? Or was something else going on?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
windracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 10:54 PM   #12
GoPackGo

I don't think Val's phone call had anything to do with what was written on the flower card. It sounded to me like another woman wrote something to Elliott on Facebook.
GoPackGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 07:02 AM   #13
trnsfrguy
Advanced !

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPackGo View Post
I don't think Val's phone call had anything to do with what was written on the flower card. It sounded to me like another woman wrote something to Elliott on Facebook.
That's the way I understood it.
MK code 1762-3068-7645/ Carlos

trnsfrguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 07:53 AM   #14
windracer
joined the 10k club

Ah, ok. He kept saying something about "why would she write that?" and somehow I linked that with the card on the flowers. I had already deleted the episode from my TiVo so I couldn't go back to re-watch that part.

The way they were editing that, though, with his guys loading and setting heavily iced pots and Elliott not really paying attention in the wheelhouse, I thought something bad was going to happen.

|
windracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 11:14 AM   #15
pmyers

he got "Facebusted"!
Old 06-12-2013, 12:15 AM   #16
Worf

Anyone catch the Deadliest Catch The Bait special for the Opie season opening? I missed it...
Worf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 12:31 AM   #17
JLucPicard

TC CLUB MEMBER
I also didn't hear Elliott denying that he saw another woman, just lamenting all the hard work he's put in in the last couple of years. So did he NOT go stepping out, or did he just get busted.

And while I'm at it, could we just not see any more of that crap with Elliott? I'm guessing a good part of it is manufactured for the show anyway, and I don't find all that entertaining in the least. Ya, it may be a valid part of any crab fisherman's life, but if I wanted a bunch of that, I'd watch almost any drama being broadcast on ABC!
JLucPicard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 12:31 AM   #18
Worf

One question - did the Seabrooke catch fish using crab pots? Anyone know how effective that is?

Heck, I didn't know they can catch fish like that - usually it's a long line trawler or something with a huge net off the back, not a bunch of little pots spread out...
Worf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 06:27 AM   #19
snowjay
40mph couch potato

Yes, they use the same pots, but I believe the openings are somehow reconfigured specifically for catching fish.
snowjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 09:32 AM   #20
pmyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowjay View Post
Yes, they use the same pots, but I believe the openings are somehow reconfigured specifically for catching fish.
Yeah...I remember watching an OLD episode and a lot of the boats fish for cod using the pots but they do something different to the openings so the fish can't swim out.