TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > TiVo Upgrade Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-09-2013, 04:21 PM   #631
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
Yeah, non-PC is a kind description of a lot (most?) of his material, but how could you forget this one:

"Man cannot live by bread alone. He must have peanut butter."

He was a fond memory of my childhood of <redacted> years ago (we had several of his albums) and around 2004 or so I bought some of the CDs.

For more urbane comedic entertainment, we also had several "Shelley Berman" albums.
How could I have forgotten that one, indeed.

I must plead a splitting sinus headache and advancing years.

Although something would have probably triggered my memory of that line somewhere down the road a few weeks or months from now.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 03:44 PM   #632
unixguy

I just upgraded my TiVo Premier:

(1) Hard drive used: 2TB WD20EURS
(2) Thermaltake BlacX Dock.

I have a Sony Vaio with an 1 eSata port (that also takes USB)

Initially I tried to use USB but when I booted into the JMFS I was unable to see the drives. Instead I connected a USB hub to my eSata port. After that I was able to see both drives without any issues.

The total time for the upgrade was about 5.5 hours with no errors.

The only issue I had was using WDIDLE I was not able to see the updated tivo drive. But my drive was not Jan 2013 .. from my understanding this was just an issue for drives prior to Jan 2013.

After the upgrade the tivo works fine without any issues. First time bootup seemed to hang sightly but continued to the tivo menu. Also the first time I went to the menu it was a little slow .. it seems that was just the first time.

After a few minutes of usage response time seems ok and the menu does not hang.
unixguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 04:14 PM   #633
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by unixguy View Post
The only issue I had was using WDIDLE I was not able to see the updated tivo drive.
That's because it modifies the drives firmware so must be connected via SATA. Won't work over USB.

Quote:
But my drive was not Jan 2013 .. from my understanding this was just an issue for drives prior to Jan 2013.
Have you verified that the TiVo will soft boot with no problems?

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 04:30 PM   #634
unixguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
That's because it modifies the drives firmware so must be connected via SATA. Won't work over USB.

Have you verified that the TiVo will soft boot with no problems?
I soft booted successfully the only issue I saw was that right before the TiVo intro cartoon the screen hangs for about 3-5 seconds.

If I need to I can hook the drive up directly via sata connection and run the util.
unixguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 04:33 PM   #635
unitron

Intellipark is more of a which model issue than a when was it made issue, I think.

Old 03-10-2013, 06:50 PM   #636
lessd

Quote:
I soft booted successfully the only issue I saw was that right before the TiVo intro cartoon the screen hangs for about 3-5 seconds.

If I need to I can hook the drive up directly via sata connection and run the util.
That common when going into the HDUI for the first time, not any Hard drive problem.

Old 03-12-2013, 10:52 PM   #637
pdecrett

Successful with Upgrade on Tivo HD - Bad, WinMFS-expanded drive to new, larger drive

I just used JMFS Live (v1.04), per the first post in this thread, to replace a 1TB previously upgraded WinMFS drive in my Tivo HD. The old drive even stopped booting eventually (periodic reboots during shows before that).

The JMFS Live software copied settings and recordings to a new WD20EURS 2TB drive. It booted right up in the Tivo.

I did the disk copy. About 12 hours to copy 1TB of data and try to repair my bad sectors. The bad drive really slowed things down.

I did the expansion (not supersize). JMFS reported something like 288 hours. But in my Tivo, I am getting, 314 or 318 (cannot remember).

That was it. I didn't check acoustics. I didn't check the idle timeout (soft reboots work no problem). My drive was manufactured in January 2013.

Thanks for the help, everyone, particularly to Tivoitis (first post) and comer (software) - at least it seems.

- Paul
pdecrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 11:04 PM   #638
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdecrett View Post
I just used JMFS Live (v1.04), per the first post in this thread, to replace a 1TB previously upgraded WinMFS drive in my Tivo HD. The old drive even stopped booting eventually (periodic reboots during shows before that).

The JMFS Live software copied settings and recordings to a new WD20EURS 2TB drive. It booted right up in the Tivo.

I did the disk copy. About 12 hours to copy 1TB of data and try to repair my bad sectors. The bad drive really slowed things down.

I did the expansion (not supersize). JMFS reported something like 288 hours. But in my Tivo, I am getting, 314 or 318 (cannot remember).

That was it. I didn't check acoustics. I didn't check the idle timeout (soft reboots work no problem). My drive was manufactured in January 2013.

Thanks for the help, everyone, particularly to Tivoitis (first post) and comer (software) - at least it seems.

- Paul
I'm happy for you that it worked out, however future readers might like to know that in your situation, provided the TiVo had already been upgraded to version 11.0k of the software (almost a certainty if you've had it operating lately), one could do the copying and then use WinMFS to just enlarge the previously added 3rd MFS Media partition, even if the stock drive had been upgraded to the 1TB with the MFS Live cd and there was a small Apple Free partition left at the end (which would defeat jmfs).

And that's true for all of the S3's, even the original OLED panel with the clock one.

The tricky thing is what to use to do the copy if the source drive has any problems.

But once you've got a good, working copy on the new target drive, WinMFS can expand into the rest of the space and 11.0k will let the TiVo use all of it, even though that last partition is going to be something like 1.6TB in size if you went with a 2TB target drive.

Old 05-01-2013, 08:10 AM   #639
tgmii

Does someone have an Tivo HD image? My Tivo HD suddenly failed, so no backup.

Thanks!
tgmii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 08:15 AM   #640
drhankz

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgmii View Post

Thanks!
OH NO

Answer YES - I have two of them but I have NO CLUE how
you could get them - THEY are LARGE.

People do sell them online
drhankz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 11:36 AM   #641
ggieseke

Quote:

Thanks!
What's the model number?
ggieseke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 05:03 PM   #642
unitron

Quote:

Thanks!
First, make sure the problem is the drive and not the power supply or the motherboard.

When you say HD, do you mean a TCD652160?

I can provide an image for that model (and a few others).

Old 05-06-2013, 07:29 PM   #643
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
I'm happy for you that it worked out, however future readers might like to know that in your situation, provided the TiVo had already been upgraded to version 11.0k of the software (almost a certainty if you've had it operating lately), one could do the copying and then use WinMFS to just enlarge the previously added 3rd MFS Media partition, even if the stock drive had been upgraded to the 1TB with the MFS Live cd and there was a small Apple Free partition left at the end (which would defeat jmfs).
And that's true for all of the S3's, even the original OLED panel with the clock one.
The tricky thing is what to use to do the copy if the source drive has any problems.
But once you've got a good, working copy on the new target drive, WinMFS can expand into the rest of the space and 11.0k will let the TiVo use all of it, even though that last partition is going to be something like 1.6TB in size if you went with a 2TB target drive.
It was actually 11.0h that began the support (there was no 11.0i version, to avoid confusion). It got put in because WD was already launching DVR expansion drives that would have not worked without the change. So WD deserves some thanks for pretty much forcing TiVo's hand, by getting those out so quickly. I cannot elaborate further, as I am bound by a NDA that is stricter than the first two rules of Fight Club, and I'd rather get beat up by Tyler Durden, than face the broad scope of penalties the other can inflict.

Oddly enough, DVR_DUDE, ships 2TB drives for the HD & Premiere, that come with the prior-to-current factory-installed images, which are several major release revision numbers old, like version 9.___ for the HD and 14.___ for the Premiere. The Premiere upgrade also maps out like JMFS does, with one huge partition at the end of all the factory ones... I haven't been able to analyze the HD partition structure. The software version matter is explained as being necessary to insure that the user doesn't become unable to receive future upgrades. I don't buy most of what his scare-tactic invoking and myth-perpetuating advertising says. However, he keeps an unbelievably great customer satisfaction rating, which is why I bought one of each drive, out of curiosity, and then decided to keep them as they were, and use GNU dd_rescue, from the command line, to clone them to other new 2TB drives for testing. So far, so good. It's only annoying if you lose all your season passes and programs, the Season Passes can't be retrieved from a simple TiVo service connection, like you can if you don't require a software update first.

I have NOT had good luck (TiVo uptime before a GSOD reboot loop), just tacking one huge partition onto the end of a stock TiVo HD drive with JMFS. This issue has been reported time and time again by others, all over the forums, but it's seldom followed by much, if any, response. My best guess is that it all depends on the parameters of how the unit is used. If you have 100+ Season Passes, and the TiVo is always very busy, and never manually rebooted, it doesn't seem to take long for a TiVo HD to turn from "successfully upgraded" to "stuck in GSOD reboot loop". I had the same issues with every 2TB THD upgrade method before JMFS, as well.

Last edited by nooneuknow : 05-06-2013 at 07:36 PM. Reason: typos & grammar
nooneuknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 11:08 AM   #644
dahacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
First, make sure the problem is the drive and not the power supply or the motherboard.

When you say HD, do you mean a TCD652160?

I can provide an image for that model (and a few others).
My TCD652160 is acting up too. It was rebooting often, can still get through the whole boot process, but ends up stuck at a 480 gray screen with no text within a day.

The drive did pass all the Tivo SMART diagnostics, so I'm not 100% that it is the drive, but replacing the drive to me seems like an easier first step than trying to rule out other issues.

I don't have an image for the TCD652160 and can't trust the original drive. Any pointers on downloading a clean image would be very helpful.

Never mind. I got a unit off of craigslist for $35, the hard drive transplant was successful. Worst of it was re-activating the cablecard.

Last edited by dahacker : 05-26-2013 at 11:02 PM.
dahacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 11:28 PM   #645
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

six WD20EADS-00S2B0 HARCHV2AA 2TB Western Digital hard drives - PM me an offer:

I just received a shipment of six WD20EADS-00S2B0 HARCHV2AA 2TB Western Digital hard drives, as replacements for some degraded/defective ones I sent back. They're factory recertified replacements, still sealed.

PM me if you'd like to make me an offer. If you'd like, I could pre-image them for either TiVo HD, or 2-tuner Premiere. I don't need them, because I already bought EURS AV-GP replacements, when Newegg had them on special.

I know some don't like/trust 4K drives, so I figured these 512-byte sector ones may be of interest to some of you.
nooneuknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 10:25 AM   #646
ncbill

So, to clarify, if my stock TivoHD is already running the latest software (11.0k?)
I can just use winmfs (not jmfs) to backup a truncated image (I don't care about shows) and then restore to a 2TB WD AV-GP EURS?

If so, do I just turn on supersize for the restored drive to get the full 318 hours?

(still confused - IIRC, winmfs by itself will only expand to 1.126GB even on a 2TB drive for the TivoHD)
ncbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 04:24 PM   #647
ggieseke

Using jmfs to expand it should get you 99% of the available drive space. Supersizing it just gets the last few hundred meg that TiVo normally dedicates to the gold star ads.
Old 06-08-2013, 04:34 PM   #648
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggieseke View Post
Using jmfs to expand it should get you 99% of the available drive space. Supersizing it just gets the last few hundred meg that TiVo normally dedicates to the gold star ads.
It's far more than "the last few hundred meg". The default is about 10% of the drive. Supersizing reduces it quite a bit. On a 2TB drive, that means @17 additional HD hours of recording capacity.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 04:35 PM   #649
jmbach

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncbill View Post
So, to clarify, if my stock TivoHD is already running the latest software (11.0k?)
I can just use winmfs (not jmfs) to backup a truncated image (I don't care about shows) and then restore to a 2TB WD AV-GP EURS?

If so, do I just turn on supersize for the restored drive to get the full 318 hours?

(still confused - IIRC, winmfs by itself will only expand to 1.126GB even on a 2TB drive for the TivoHD)
Yes. After restoring the image do not expand. Then go to MFSADD and expand followed by supersize.
Just make sure you let WinMFS expand past 1TB when it asks you.

Last edited by jmbach : 06-08-2013 at 04:41 PM.
jmbach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 06:20 PM   #650
ggieseke

My bad. If we're truly talking about 17 hours of HD to record 20 minutes of infomercials I stand corrected.
Old 06-09-2013, 01:57 AM   #651
unitron

Quote:

Perhaps there was a time when it wouldn't go beyond 1.2, but now it just makes you check (or uncheck) an extra box.

Use WinMFS to mfscopy your current drive, shows, settings, and all, to the 20EURS.

When it finishes, it'll say something about extra space (unless your current drive is also a 2TB), and do you want to expand.

Tell it no.

I don't know why you need to do it that way, but that's the way that seems to work.

After you tell it no, select the new drive, the 20EURS, and click on mfsinfo just to make sure everything looks alright.

The partition map will probably show a large Apple Free partition at the end.

That's okay.

Close mfsinfo, and then click on mfsadd.

You should get the "do you want to use a partition bigger than 1.2TB" warning--tell it yes you do want to.

If you'd like to err on the side of caution, you could copy the current drive to the new one with WinMFS, check the new one with mfsinfo, then close out WinMFS, shut down the computer, disconnect the current TiVo drive, leaving just the new 2TB one hooked up, and start the PC and go back into Windows and WinMFS and then do the mfsadd.

Apparently it's the having 11.0k that lets the TiVo use a bigger than 1.2TB partition.

You can use that same method, running WinMFS, to stick a 2TB in an original S3 (the OLED version that jmfs couldn't do anything for), as long as it's running 11.0k

Old 06-09-2013, 07:28 PM   #652
ncbill

if i don't expand the new drive after mfscopy then winmfs sees the 2tb drive as a 160GB tivo 'series 2 or 3' drive, and mfsadd doesn't work.

ill try the mfslive cd next.
Old 06-09-2013, 08:00 PM   #653
jmbach

Quote:
if i don't expand the new drive after mfscopy then winmfs sees the 2tb drive as a 160GB tivo 'series 2 or 3' drive, and mfsadd doesn't work.

ill try the mfslive cd next.
You can try to expand after copy. In my experience it hangs when I have tried that. Normally what happens is that a large Apple_Free partition is made taking up all the space after you copy and tell it not to expand. When you then go into MFSAdd, it converts the Apple_Free partition to two partitions - MFS app and MFS media. Could you post the MFSInfo output. Might be able to see what is going on. Also shut down WinMFS and only connect the 2TB drive and restart WinMFS. Make sure it is not confusing your original 160gb drive and your 2TB drive.
Old 06-12-2013, 11:09 AM   #654
ncbill

Got it to work!

Used mfscopy, wandered away, after copy finished WindowsXP downloaded an update and restarted automatically.

Relaunched winmfs, made sure supersize was on, and opened mfsadd.

Chose "no" when asked if I wanted to limit it to 1TB.

Got all 318 HD hours on the 2TB drive.

Thanks again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmbach View Post
You can try to expand after copy. In my experience it hangs when I have tried that. Normally what happens is that a large Apple_Free partition is made taking up all the space after you copy and tell it not to expand. When you then go into MFSAdd, it converts the Apple_Free partition to two partitions - MFS app and MFS media. Could you post the MFSInfo output. Might be able to see what is going on. Also shut down WinMFS and only connect the 2TB drive and restart WinMFS. Make sure it is not confusing your original 160gb drive and your 2TB drive.

Old 01-02-2014, 04:15 PM   #655
tiassa
Me --Avatar

Just to add another datapoint (and resurrect this thread from the dead), I upgraded my other Tivo HD using JMFS as I did here:http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...=462179&page=8
the 500gig My DVR expander had gone south (or a least things got better when I divorced the drive), and the original 160gig was OK for a while but also started to get flakey (recordings would get weird, and sometimes wouldn't transfer) so I snagged another 20EURS and upgraded it as well. So far so good (the new drive has been in about a week.

Last edited by tiassa : 01-06-2014 at 02:44 PM.
tiassa is offline   Reply With Quote