Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-07-2013, 02:41 PM   #1
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
TiVo to TiVo transfer help needed

I am trying to transfer shows from one TiVo to another.

It is a very complicated story, but basically I am about half way through the switchover of my old TiVo's to the two new ones.

TiVo Series 2 kitchen - working

TiVo HD Living room - working

TiVo Series 2 on shelf - just reactivated so I could do this.

TiVo Premiere - new out of box - activated but no m-cable card

I transferred shows from the kitchen TiVo to my living room one.

Then, unplugged the kitchen one, and moved the living room one in there. It is now working fine in there. No issues.

Then hooked the Premiere up in the living room. It is powered up and updated, but not connected to cable. Waiting for a comcast visit.

So I have all my shows on the HD in the kitchen and Premiere in Living room.

I thought - hey, I have till saturday when the guy brings the m-card so maybe I can pull the old OLD TiVo off the shelf and get any old shows off of that.

I took the G-wireless from the premiere, hooked it up to the old series 2 and got green lights. I then restarted the HD to see if I can get them to talk to each other and show the series 2 on the Now Playing section for transfers. ( I did call TiVo and get it reactivated).

It's not showing up.

I am not sure if I have them too close to each other - on the same table. Or need to do something else with the old series 2 - it is not attached to a tv at this point. Just plugged into the wall and with the wireless - no other cable or such in it. I didn't think they would need that if it was working thru the network - but maybe it's not and I am not sure how to get it to.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"He's a freak!! Take him apart and lose the pieces under the couch!"
betts4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 04:11 PM   #2
LI-SVT

Try forcing both TiVos to call home. Sometimes a recently activated box can take up to 24 hours before MRV will work.

P.S. Do any of your Series 2s have lifetime subs?
LI-SVT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 04:19 PM   #3
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by LI-SVT View Post
Try forcing both TiVos to call home. Sometimes a recently activated box can take up to 24 hours before MRV will work.

P.S. Do any of your Series 2s have lifetime subs?
They both do.

What do you mean force them to call home? Like a restart?

Would you like to buy one?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"He's a freak!! Take him apart and lose the pieces under the couch!"
betts4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 05:03 PM   #4
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Its a Tivo Connection, go into the Network/phone settings menu and you can have it make a connection to Tivo for Guide data etc. Make sure you have your Media Access Key on that Tivo or it will not be able to transfer.

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 05:07 PM   #5
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Also, check to make sure your newly re-activated Tivo has allowed permissions for downloads and transfers on your tivo.com account (under DVR Preferences).

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 03:03 AM   #6
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by betts4 View Post
I am trying to transfer shows from one TiVo to another.

It is a very complicated story, but basically I am about half way through the switchover of my old TiVo's to the two new ones.

TiVo Series 2 kitchen - working

TiVo HD Living room - working

TiVo Series 2 on shelf - just reactivated so I could do this.

TiVo Premiere - new out of box - activated but no m-cable card

I transferred shows from the kitchen TiVo to my living room one.

Then, unplugged the kitchen one, and moved the living room one in there. It is now working fine in there. No issues.

Then hooked the Premiere up in the living room. It is powered up and updated, but not connected to cable. Waiting for a comcast visit.

So I have all my shows on the HD in the kitchen and Premiere in Living room.

I thought - hey, I have till saturday when the guy brings the m-card so maybe I can pull the old OLD TiVo off the shelf and get any old shows off of that.

I took the G-wireless from the premiere, hooked it up to the old series 2 and got green lights. I then restarted the HD to see if I can get them to talk to each other and show the series 2 on the Now Playing section for transfers. ( I did call TiVo and get it reactivated).

It's not showing up.

I am not sure if I have them too close to each other - on the same table. Or need to do something else with the old series 2 - it is not attached to a tv at this point. Just plugged into the wall and with the wireless - no other cable or such in it. I didn't think they would need that if it was working thru the network - but maybe it's not and I am not sure how to get it to.

It's too late for you, but anyone else comtemplating doing this should know in advance (instead of learning the hard way, like I did), that transferring from one TiVo to another loses a lot of the meta-data, and the shows show up on the target TiVo with an air date of when you transferred them, not when they recorded, so you could wind up with a month's worth of The Daily Show or Tavis Smiley or whatever with each episode showing the same date.

Better to use TiVo Desktop (free version) and use a PC as a middleman, so as to keep most, if not all, of the meta-data, including the record date.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 05:10 PM   #7
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
Better to use TiVo Desktop (free version) and use a PC as a middleman, so as to keep most, if not all, of the meta-data, including the record date.
The free version of TD is not available any more.

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 06:41 PM   #8
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThAbtO View Post
The free version of TD is not available any more.
It is if you know where to look...

Link

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 11:10 PM   #9
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve614 View Post
It is if you know where to look...

Link

Actually 2.8.2 (which I use) is also available if you know the right person to PM.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 06:08 AM   #10
ggieseke

Every version back to at least 2.5.1 is available with the right URL. Just change the last few numbers of the link Steve provided.
ggieseke is offline   Reply With Quote