TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-07-2013, 10:56 AM   #1
jay_winter
P4+PXL4+Mini+FIOS

Exclamation HELP! Clean Install of Desktop 2.8.3 Broken

We've been using Tivo Desktop for years to view our digital photo collection on our HDTV. Yesterday I did a clean install of Windows 7 on our (previously Win-XP) PC and downloaded & installed Desktop 2.8.3. (Don't remember what version we had previously.) Now, three different Tivos can see the Pictures folder but cannot open it (a "server error" message is displayed.) The same symptoms appear on a Series 2, 2DT and Premier-XL Tivo. Even more confusing, the Series 2DT Tivo sees TWO Pictures folders of the same name.

Tivo Desktop finds and correctly identifies all of the networked Tivo boxes just fine in the Troubleshooting screen.

On the Premier, the Pictures folder name is oddly corrupted with the string "\032" inserted before the directory names which are then repeated.

The PC is running the Windows7 Home Premium 64-bit version. The network connections are all hardwired through IP switch boxes to Netgear WNDR3400 router.

I have tried all the usual remedies -- restarting Tivo Desktop Server, the PC, all the Tivo boxes, etc in various combinations; switching from Bonjour to Tivo Beacon -- none of which had ANY effect whatsoever!

I am an IT professional, a Windows programmer, and a techie for over 50 years, so I usually find the solution to these things on my own. But this one is KILLING me and I can't believe I'm the only one!

Please help!!

Many Thanks in Advance,
Jay
Old 06-07-2013, 04:38 PM   #2
SNJpage1

I don't think it would be a problem with win7 64 bit. I would try uninstalling it again and reinstalling it and see what happens.
Old 06-07-2013, 05:59 PM   #3
jay_winter
P4+PXL4+Mini+FIOS

Oh, you must be from our IT HelpDesk! (I'm surprised you didn't suggest that I reboot the computer.)

I would very much appreciate hearing from someone who has actually experienced this problem and solved it.

Thanks!
Old 06-07-2013, 06:23 PM   #4
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Make sure the directory that you're sharing is the hard coded location, walk it there manually if you have to and make sure you're NOT using the one that's listed under Libraries, that's a symbolic link that can do weird things to shares.
If you have the "HD" option for pictures checked, there's a Java dependency.

The issue is NOT Win7 x64, I used to run it just fine with the Tivo Desktop.
Old 06-07-2013, 10:16 PM   #5
Ichinisan

Did you get the patch, OP?

http://www.tivo.com/buytivo/tivo-acc...desktoppc.html
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVo
Important: A software patch for TiVo Desktop is required to transfer content from your TiVo DVR to your PC (TiVoToGo). For more information, click here.
Try that.
Ichinisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 06:48 PM   #6
jay_winter
P4+PXL4+Mini+FIOS

Problem SOLVED!

Many thanks to dianebrat for a very astute suggestion. It was a good idea, but it wasn't the problem. Fortunately, in testing that idea I uncovered the real problem, which, to my great chagrin, was (of course) of my own doing.

Apparently, Desktop is sensitive to folder content, and when it tried to index my Pictures folder, it was tripping over an empty shortcut (to a non-existent "Samples" folder) that I had unknowingly restored from my backup disk. Encountering this shortcut file halted the indexing process, and caused the "server error" message to be displayed in the TiVo Photos screen.

Once I deleted the shortcut file, everything magically started working!

Last edited by jay_winter : 06-08-2013 at 06:50 PM. Reason: unfinished
jay_winter is offline   Reply With Quote