TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Mini
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 4.75 average.
Old 03-07-2013, 10:14 PM   #1
Bwatford141

Dynamic tuner allocation?

Could so,some please explain dynamic tuner allocation and its significance in regards to the mini.
Bwatford141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 10:23 PM   #2
takeagabu

Without it you must sacrifice (all the time unless you disable it) one of the four tuner on your main DVR to allow live tv on the mini (turning your P4 to a P3). Dynamic allocation will make it so it will only use one tuner for live tv when available and you still have 4 tuners to use on your main DVR at all times.
takeagabu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 10:30 PM   #3
Bwatford141

Quote:
Originally Posted by takeagabu View Post
Without it you must sacrifice (all the time unless you disable it) one of the four tuner on your main DVR to allow live tv on the mini (turning your P4 to a P3). Dynamic allocation will make it so it will only use one tuner for live tv when available and you still have 4 tuners to use on your main DVR at all times.
Thanks!
Bwatford141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 06:44 AM   #4
johnner1999

I stopped following this board and TiVo for awhile now so this may have been answered…

but is this feature available now at launch or is it coming “soon” via an update?

off topic - but this new Mini is what is bringing me back to TiVo :-)
johnner1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 06:47 AM   #5
johnner1999

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnner1999 View Post
I stopped following this board and TiVo for awhile now so this may have been answered…

but is this feature available now at launch or is it coming “soon” via an update?

off topic - but this new Mini is what is bringing me back to TiVo :-)
sorry for being a pseudo noob :-)

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...00#post9562200
johnner1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 05:23 AM   #6
dhoward

Is there any word about when Tivo will provide the dynamic tuning feature to the Mini? I do not understand why they are taking so long with this feature. I get concerned that they might pull the same thing they did with the Mini and P2 and delay it until the P5 and then say it will only work with their newest model. It should have been released when the Mini went on sale, I believe. Tivo's track record leaves something to be desired regarding updates. The Spring update did not have it and even that seems to have developed some problems.
dhoward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 06:21 AM   #7
NotNowChief
Addicted to TiVo

I've been getting a little restless as well.

I spent 250 bucks on this thing, with a Lifetime subscription, and I use it for streaming only because I don't want to lock out a tuner on my quad-tuner Premiere Elite I spent 400 bucks on.

As a longtime TiVo customer, I am used to this stuff though.
TiVo HDXL
TiVo HD
Retired: TiVo Series 2 ST, Philips Series 1 HDR212
NotNowChief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 06:30 AM   #8
dhoward

It just does not seem that this should be hard to implement. It should be no different then when a message pops up asking if you want to change tuners for a scheduled recording. Is Tivo dragging their feet for a hidden reason?
Old 06-04-2013, 06:58 AM   #9
NotNowChief
Addicted to TiVo

I think you made a great point when you mentioned about holding out for their next-gen box. I never thought of it that way.

I hope you are wrong!
TiVo HDXL
TiVo HD
Retired: TiVo Series 2 ST, Philips Series 1 HDR212
NotNowChief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 07:16 AM   #10
Riverdome

This is Tivo folks. Long ago I accepted "coming soon" from Tivo (and other tech vendors for that matter) really means "maybe someday." I'm ready to upgrade a OLED S3 and get a Premiere + mini but this feature is something I won't live without. I want 4 tuners on my Premiere, I could live without the feature if my Premiere had 6 tuner to start with but alas we are not there yet.
Riverdome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 12:34 PM   #11
DaveDFW

What are the odds that dynamic tuner allocation will be a "Series 5" feature? I can already envision TiVo propagating a specious explanation why it won't work on the Premiere.
DaveDFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 02:14 PM   #12
lessd

Has TiVo ever said that a dynamic tuner option was in the works, or is this just speculation on the part of some Forum members ??
Many people have said, purchase your TiVo if it now does what you want, don't count on any improvements until they come. I think that is good advice. For me, as example, OD was a great addition to my TP capabilities but I did not purchase them (at the time) for that option.

Old 06-04-2013, 02:51 PM   #13
compnurd

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessd View Post
Has TiVo ever said that a dynamic tuner option was in the works, or is this just speculation on the part of some Forum members ??
Many people have said, purchase your TiVo if it now does what you want, don't count on any improvements until they come. I think that is good advice. For me, as example, OD was a great addition to my TP capabilities but I did not purchase them (at the time) for that option.
Yes they have said it was coming
compnurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 03:12 PM   #14
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by compnurd View Post
Yes they have said it was coming
Right after single M-Card for series 3 OLED units.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 06:18 PM   #15
Dan203
Super Moderator

I seriously doubt they're going to make this a "Series 5" only feature. They have MSO partners who also want this feature and who already have Premiere Qs deployed in the field.

Although I don't expect to see this until the fall. We just got an update a few weeks ago. It's highly unlikely they'll release another update any time soon. If they were going to meet their Q2 estimate it would have been part of the update we just received. At this point I'm betting we see the next update sometime around when the new units are released.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 07:09 PM   #16
dhoward

That update seems to have stopped being issued due to problems based on some of the threads on this forum. None of my tivos has received it yet.
Old 06-05-2013, 07:14 AM   #17
compnurd

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhoward View Post
That update seems to have stopped being issued due to problems based on some of the threads on this forum. None of my tivos has received it yet.
The update was never automatically pushed.. Only people who signed up for it got it
compnurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 10:02 AM   #18
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by compnurd View Post
The update was never automatically pushed.. Only people who signed up for it got it
Did anybody get this update on their Mini, you could not sign up the Mini itself but I did sign up my TP-4s and got the update on all of them, but not the Mini.

Old 06-06-2013, 02:26 PM   #19
Loach

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessd View Post
Did anybody get this update on their Mini, you could not sign up the Mini itself but I did sign up my TP-4s and got the update on all of them, but not the Mini.
I looked at one of my Minis last night and the software version is 20.3.1. That's the new update, right? I did NOT sign up any of my Tivos to get this update. I haven't looked at the system info on my P4 or other Mini to see if they're on the same version.
Loach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 08:17 PM   #20
Austin Bike

Quote:
It just does not seem that this should be hard to implement. It should be no different then when a message pops up asking if you want to change tuners for a scheduled recording. Is Tivo dragging their feet for a hidden reason?
Are you a developer? If not, you probably don't understand the complexity of what they are trying to do. Having been in product development for many many years I can assure you that they probably aren't dragging their feet. There is always pressure in organizations to get things out quickly.

My gut tells me that this is more complex than they anticipated. They can't spin silicon because units are already in the field, so they have to do it all in software. That can be the issue.
Austin Bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 04:01 AM   #21
Dan203
Super Moderator

Exactly. And, as we've discussed before, it's very different then the message you get when sitting in front of the TiVo because when you're sitting in front of the TiVo you can only ever be using 1 tuner. With the Mini you can potentially using 2 remotely, plus another used by whoever is sitting in front of the TiVo, and the software has to be smart enough to respond appropriately to every combination of yes/no coming from all 3 devices. It's a much more complex problem then it seems on the surface.
Old 06-07-2013, 05:37 AM   #22
dhoward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin Bike View Post
Are you a developer? If not, you probably don't understand the complexity of what they are trying to do. Having been in product development for many many years I can assure you that they probably aren't dragging their feet. There is always pressure in organizations to get things out quickly.

My gut tells me that this is more complex than they anticipated. They can't spin silicon because units are already in the field, so they have to do it all in software. That can be the issue.
The answer to your first question is yes. I am a digital design engineer and I have developed several products for the company I work for. I understand schedules and priority's. I can understand why my analogy maybe to simplistic but it does not change the fact that this function should have been available when the Mini was released. Tivo has a track record of incomplete features so yes they may very well be putting this feature on the back burner. They still have not fixed the SD menus so I am cynical as to when this feature will see the light of day. The fact that you mention that they cannot modify the HW is correct and the only solution is via SW only leads to the worry that this feature maybe only be available on the next gen Tivo. However, when all is said and done in this thread it is still nothing more then our own opinions and not one of them will change Tivo's pace of development. Everything is speculation.
Old 06-07-2013, 06:40 AM   #23
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin Bike View Post
Or it could have been outsourced to people that don't really know the product and don't use it. The usual Corporate America syndrome.
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 09:47 AM   #24
Davisadm
TiVo is Back!!!!!!!!

Quote:
...They still have not fixed the SD menus so I am cynical as to when this feature will see the light of day...
What do you mean by this? What is not working in SD menues?
Davisadm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 11:39 AM   #25
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post
Or it could have been outsourced to people that don't really know the product and don't use it. The usual Corporate America syndrome.
I doubt it. TiVo does outsource development of their secondary apps like the iOS app and TiVo Desktop, but the main TiVo software is developed in house.
Old 06-07-2013, 11:52 AM   #26
djwilso

I'll be buying a Mini once the dynamic tuner allocation is confirmed as working, but not before for sure.

I'd really like to replace my aging Series 3 OLED with one of these.
djwilso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 04:30 PM   #27
dhoward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davisadm View Post
What do you mean by this? What is not working in SD menues?
They still mix and match sd menus with hd menus instead of all menus being in hd. This was supposed to have been changed a long time ago. Does not effect performance but is another unkept feature enhancement.
Old 06-08-2013, 01:20 AM   #28
Dan203
Super Moderator

They're slowly adding more and more HD screens. They'll get there eventually.
Old 06-08-2013, 06:01 AM   #29
dhoward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
They're slowly adding more and more HD screens. They'll get there eventually.
Your are correct. However the pace seems to be one screen a year....
Old 06-08-2013, 08:54 AM   #30
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Quote:
They still mix and match sd menus with hd menus instead of all menus being in hd. This was supposed to have been changed a long time ago. Does not effect performance but is another unkept feature enhancement.
I'll be the broken record, in normal daily operation I have not seen an SD menu in ages, I've only seen it when doing out of the ordinary tasks, I view that as acceptable in my situation.