TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-02-2013, 03:48 PM   #31
madscientist
Deregistered Snoozer

In previous attempts with this weapon the smoke seemed to play a part. In this one, unless they did some judicial editing, I didn't see Littlejohn's targets obscured by smoke at all.
Old 06-03-2013, 03:05 PM   #32
gschrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ment View Post
Why would it always be pistol, they could use cross-bow, throwing knife, blowgun or other short distance weapons for a challenge.
We'll obviously see after future episodes, but the way Colby was talking it definitely sounded like this would be the weapon for all of them.
gschrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 08:56 AM   #33
Tivortex
Cherished Member

I'm glad the series is back, I'd heard somewhere it was cancelled.

I really like the format tweeks. They provide more focus on the main event, shooting.

Looks to be a good season.
Old 06-05-2013, 11:40 PM   #34
Amnesia
The Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ment View Post
...they could use cross-bow, throwing knife, blowgun or other short distance weapons for a challenge.
...or they could use a rifle!
Amnesia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 12:47 AM   #35
Ment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amnesia View Post
...or they could use a rifle!
For a short distance target? Might as well put a scope on it for these guys.
Ment is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 06:34 AM   #36
RonDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azlen View Post
Looking at the places they finished in, it would be a bit of a reach to call all of them All-Stars but "Players Who Have Already Done This Before" doesn't have the same ring to it.
All of the contestants here made it to Green Team status, so while not necessarily "All-Stars", the "Best of the Best" moniker that Colby likes to mention does seem to fit.

I noticed that Seasons 2 and 3 are each underrepresented by one person, and the other two seasons have an extra person to make up for it. I'm wondering if it's because the middle seasons had more than one person from their Green team unwilling/unable to attend this time around, and/or certain ones were specifically left off the invitation list?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tivortex View Post
I'm glad the series is back, I'd heard somewhere it was cancelled.
At one point last season, that was the fear as History Channel had not yet decided on renewal even though it was getting close to the final episode. Colby had asked the show's fans to urge History Channel to renew it.
RonDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 03:45 PM   #37
jeff92k7

Okay...this may have been discussed in an earlier season thread, but...

What's with all the backpacks the contestants carry around. They don't carry the firearms around. They probably do carry their own eyes and ears, but they wouldn't need a big backpack for those small things. So what gives? What's in the backpacks that always look full.
jeff92k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 03:57 PM   #38
Unbeliever
Random Nobody

Water, food, sunscreen, books, spare shirts (for the 'confessional' filiming), hats, etc.

--Carlos V.
Unbeliever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 04:04 PM   #39
Ment

I would imagine there is quite alot of free time in-between setting up targets and practice rounds. Do they do the reaction interviews on site or back at the house.
Old 06-06-2013, 08:14 PM   #40
RonDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff92k7 View Post
What's with all the backpacks the contestants carry around. They don't carry the firearms around. They probably do carry their own eyes and ears, but they wouldn't need a big backpack for those small things. So what gives? What's in the backpacks that always look full.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unbeliever View Post
Water, food, sunscreen, books, spare shirts (for the 'confessional' filiming), hats, etc.
Also for contestants involved in the elimination competition, they have to pack up everything, as the loser doesn't get to go back into the house.
Old 06-07-2013, 08:23 AM   #41
ClutchBrake
Pass the gravy!

Fun episode last night. Love the trick shots.

Bachelorhood: Life, liberty, and the happiness of pursuit.

Xbox Live: ClutchBrake
ClutchBrake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 12:32 AM   #42
sieglinde

The proving ground was done with a rifle so it is not always a pistol
Old 06-10-2013, 03:36 PM   #43
gschrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by sieglinde View Post
The proving ground was done with a rifle so it is not always a pistol
Yup, and I'm glad to see them vary that, makes my complaint moot.
Old 06-10-2013, 06:24 PM   #44
sieglinde

Maybe a bow will be used or one of those weird weapons like a sling shot
Old 06-11-2013, 01:56 PM   #45
jeff92k7

Quote:
Originally Posted by sieglinde View Post
Maybe a bow will be used or one of those weird weapons like a sling shot
I always think that the crossbows, long bows, sling shots, etc cheapen the show. Maybe that's just me. I want to see shooters competing at shooting, not flinging arrows and other nonsense. Leave the arrows on 'Top Archer' (I hereby claim that name under copyright law....History can call me to lease naming rights...lol)
jeff92k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 02:55 PM   #46
pmyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff92k7 View Post
I always think that the crossbows, long bows, sling shots, etc cheapen the show. Maybe that's just me. I want to see shooters competing at shooting, not flinging arrows and other nonsense. Leave the arrows on 'Top Archer' (I hereby claim that name under copyright law....History can call me to lease naming rights...lol)
I think that for that particular challange (to see which 2 go to the elimination round) anything thing they use is fine...but I agree that I wouldn't want to see an entire challange revolving around some type of archery.
pmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 12:49 PM   #47
Unbeliever
Random Nobody

Ok, it's straining credulity a bit that Chee knocked out Gabby in the previous season, and Gabby returns the favor in this one. I can see it at the end of the season when the group is small, but not the beginning. That was a very uncharacteristic flyer that Gabby had in the selection round.

--Carlos V.
Old 06-14-2013, 10:55 AM   #48
RonDawg

Gabby has been known to throw shots before. She did on the .50 cal that got her eliminated last season. I am more inclined to believe that Chee "sandbagged" this one in order to let her continue.

Speaking of sandbagging, can Jamie make it more freakin' obvious that he was sandbagging during practice?
Old 06-14-2013, 12:31 PM   #49
ClutchBrake
Pass the gravy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonDawg View Post
Speaking of sandbagging, can Jamie make it more freakin' obvious that he was sandbagging during practice?
I think the bigger question is did William really think Jamie wasn't sandbagging?

Bachelorhood: Life, liberty, and the happiness of pursuit.

Xbox Live: ClutchBrake
ClutchBrake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 03:30 PM   #50
gschrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonDawg View Post
Gabby has been known to throw shots before. She did on the .50 cal that got her eliminated last season. I am more inclined to believe that Chee "sandbagged" this one in order to let her continue.
I'm not convinced Chee sandbagged. As I recall, when Gabby did this particular task last season, she absolutely nailed it, and I think was the one that shot the smallest targets? So she's shown in the past that she's damn good at it. And I don't think Chee did particularly well that season on the task either. I'm guessing this particular task is right up the alley on what Gabby did as part of her olympic shooting. She was very calm and collected when going about that challenge, and Chee was anything but (but I still don't think he sandbagged it). Personally, I'm guessing Gabby could have knocked out half the group on that particular challenge.
Old 06-14-2013, 03:37 PM   #51
Unbeliever
Random Nobody

Gabby taking a flyer on the rifle (1000 yard shot) is understandable. But an Olympic pistol shooter taking a flyer on a modern pistol, while not impossible, is highly unlikely.

I agree with gschrock. This challenge was right up Gabby's alley.

--Carlos V.
Old 06-14-2013, 04:43 PM   #52
snowjay
40mph couch potato

Quote:
Gabby taking a flyer on the rifle (1000 yard shot) is understandable. But an Olympic pistol shooter taking a flyer on a modern pistol, while not impossible, is highly unlikely.

--Carlos V.

The SIG in her small hands combined with the heavy and longer DA pull doesn't make it seem all that unlikely that she would throw that flyer.

Remember she also did poorly in the challenge with the same gun and I don't even think she hit her first bottle.
snowjay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 05:39 PM   #53
Ment

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowjay View Post
The SIG in her small hands combined with the heavy and longer DA pull doesn't make it seem all that unlikely that she would throw that flyer.

Remember she also did poorly in the challenge with the same gun and I don't even think she hit her first bottle.
Agree with you its the first round that would have tripped her up if anything after that it was smooth sailing for her. Chee probably had more of a mental distraction this time around being that he was going to be the one to take her out twice.
Old 06-14-2013, 06:22 PM   #54
Unbeliever
Random Nobody

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowjay View Post
Everybody was shooting SA on that run. Or at least I remember way more than 1 person was shooting SA. I need to go back and check if Gabby specifically was shooting SA as well.

--Carlos V.
Old 06-15-2013, 05:46 AM   #55
RonDawg

Quote:

Just because a particular challenge is "right up" someone's alley doesn't mean they can't screw up. Denny Chapman, the cowboy trick-shooter from Season 1, totally bombed the trick shooting competition. And "World Class Grenadier" Greg Littlejohn bombed, yes, the grenade launcher challenge not once, but twice.

Gabby may be a great shooter, but she also seems easily distracted. This season is especially showing that mental focus is just as important as any fine motor skill. All have shown they have the latter...but can they be focused all of the time?
Old 06-15-2013, 10:37 AM   #56
sieglinde

I am rooting for Abby for a variety of reasons including gender. I am surprised there are not more women champion shooters since small motor skills is a woman's forte. Maybe more dedicated hobbiests who become professionals who are men. More male military members and police. etc. So far the sportsmanship has been very good in this show.
Old 06-15-2013, 02:55 PM   #57
Unbeliever
Random Nobody

I'm not saying it is impossible. I'm saying that her and Chee losing it at the same time when the field is still large is what's straining credulity.

Edit: Ron, we're not disagreeing. My post stated "while not impossible". Yes, I agree mental focus is important, and I agree that's what knocked Littlejohn off both times.

--Carlos V.

Last edited by Unbeliever : 06-15-2013 at 03:08 PM.
Old 06-15-2013, 11:14 PM   #58
RonDawg

Quote:
I'm not saying it is impossible. I'm saying that her and Chee losing it at the same time when the field is still large is what's straining credulity.

Edit: Ron, we're not disagreeing. My post stated "while not impossible". Yes, I agree mental focus is important, and I agree that's what knocked Littlejohn off both times.
I think this competition is really who has the best mental discipline. All have already proven to the producers they can hit the broad side of a barn, and many have some impressive titles. Yet someone like Athena Lee manages to lose early despite her titles, while a firearms "nobody" like Jay Lim beats her (and several others with greater firearms experience) to Green Team status. Chris Cheng was also a firearms nobody and yet he won over a lot of military/former military/law enforcement/ex-LE competition.

Chee may not have sandbagged but he was definitely distracted at the thought of sending Gabby home again. At least this time Gabby was able to keep her focus, going so far to say that she refused to check on Chee's progress for fear of being distracted herself.
Old 06-16-2013, 01:33 PM   #59
madscientist
Deregistered Snoozer

I was not at all surprised by Gabby winning that final. She's proven time and again that she excels at that type of shooting; she couldn't have asked for a better challenge. I don't think we have to chalk it up to Chee losing focus because he's going up against Gabby to explain the outcome. I think she could have beaten pretty much anyone on that challenge. From what we saw she only missed once or twice.
Old 06-20-2013, 12:26 PM   #60
RonDawg

I was really impressed with the sportsmanship of this week's episode. Even though doing so could jeopardize their own chances, it was nice to see people calling out the shots and giving suggestions to the individual archers.

I hope the improvement in sportsmanship and integrity is followed by a ratings boost over last season.