TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-04-2013, 04:16 PM   #1
cashonly

Question about replacing a flakey drive in an HD (R6521P) (already have an extender)

I have a Tivo HD 160GB model R6521P (I think). I'm getting the S03 and I've tried Kickstart 57 and 58 to no avail. Also the Kickstart 54 found no issues. I have a 1TB WD DVR extender and I have a ton of shows I want to keep.

I'm thinking that it's the hard drive. So, 3 questions:
1. What's the likelihood replacing the drive will fix my issue?
2. If I just clone the HD onto a new 160GB drive, will that keep my shows?
3. Can I clone it to a larger drive, keep my shows and add end up with more HD space in the process?

TIA,

Cash
cashonly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 06:03 PM   #2
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Your Tivo model number is not R6521P (not sure where you got that from). The actual number is printed on label on the back of the Tivo. I am sure its TCD652160. Another way to tell is in System Information Screen, under the service number, the first 3, (652) and the software version, there is also 652.

Now, the error S03 is not a hard drive issue. Its more like the guide downloads failed at some point and Tivo would say to unplug your network from the Tivo for a few days, so it can process the previous download. (It seemed like it choked on that download at 1 point.)

It would be a good idea to backup the hard drive to prepare for its impending doom, but I think the error S03 would follow the drive so you might be better to wait until it clears.

You can use WinMFS (for windows users, no Linux commands) to backup the drive. Then, restore to a new drive (I say new because Tivo is very picky, and used drives may be troublesome). Best drive to use is a drive designed for Video/Audio use such as Western Digital green drives. A 1 TB drive will give you 150 HD hrs, 2 TB will get about 315 HD hrs. 2 TB is about the limit so a 3 TB or larger will not work.
OTA! OTA! OTA!

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 06:44 PM   #3
cashonly

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThAbtO View Post
Your Tivo model number is not R6521P (not sure where you got that from). The actual number is printed on label on the back of the Tivo. I am sure its TCD652160. Another way to tell is in System Information Screen, under the service number, the first 3, (652) and the software version, there is also 652.

Now, the error S03 is not a hard drive issue. Its more like the guide downloads failed at some point and Tivo would say to unplug your network from the Tivo for a few days, so it can process the previous download. (It seemed like it choked on that download at 1 point.)

It would be a good idea to backup the hard drive to prepare for its impending doom, but I think the error S03 would follow the drive so you might be better to wait until it clears.

You can use WinMFS (for windows users, no Linux commands) to backup the drive. Then, restore to a new drive (I say new because Tivo is very picky, and used drives may be troublesome). Best drive to use is a drive designed for Video/Audio use such as Western Digital green drives. A 1 TB drive will give you 150 HD hrs, 2 TB will get about 315 HD hrs. 2 TB is about the limit so a 3 TB or larger will not work.
Thank you for the good info!

One more question. If I put in a 1TB or 2TB, will I still be able to use my WD External HD DVR Expander?
Old 06-04-2013, 06:57 PM   #4
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashonly View Post
Thank you for the good info!

One more question. If I put in a 1TB or 2TB, will I still be able to use my WD External HD DVR Expander?
No, but what's the point. When you have a 2 drive Tivo, if either fails, you lose your recordings.
Once you upgraded, you can only add the external using the PC with both drives connected.
OTA! OTA! OTA!

~~~~~

Old 06-05-2013, 07:02 AM   #5
cashonly

I was thinking that if I'm going to replace the HD, I could add more storage, but I don't want to lose the shows that I have on there now.

I guess ideally, the thing to do would be to somehow offload the shows on there now, then replace the internal with a 2TB drive, then put the shows back on. I could put them back on without a problem, but how can I offload them? The Tivo desktop app won't copy a lot of them over as they are copy protected.
Old 06-05-2013, 07:09 AM   #6
cashonly

One problem with doing a replacement with a 160Gb SATA DVR drive is that I can't seem to find one that is not used or refurbished or comes from a reputable seller. I can find plenty of 250GB and larger drives that meet that spec, but as if using a larger drive won't let me access my external HD, that won't be what I want. Is it possible to use just 160GB of a larger drive?
Old 06-05-2013, 09:36 AM   #7
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Only the unprotected shows you can transfer to a PC or another Tivo. Unless, you have a DVD Recorder, burn them to DVDs, use a DVD ripper like DVD Decrypter to get them on the PC, and transfer them back to the "newly" rebuilt Tivo.

But first, take care of the Error S03, unplug ethernet/wireless adapter for few days to clear it.
OTA! OTA! OTA!

~~~~~