Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-31-2013, 12:01 PM   #91
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianebrat View Post
In general I agree with you, and I don't think it should be a rule, but I do think in this specific instance, a bit of courtesy spoilproofing might have been a nice gesture.
I'm sure I'm not the only person being introduced to older Who this year.
On the other hand, when they spend much of the first part of the show discussing that very plot point, it's hard to expect ANYBODY not to be spoiled by the time they get to the second part of the show...
Old 05-31-2013, 12:02 PM   #92
Langree
The Gimp

Quote:
In general I agree with you, and I don't think it should be a rule, but I do think in this specific instance, a bit of courtesy spoilproofing might have been a nice gesture.
I'm sure I'm not the only person being introduced to older Who this year.
Sure, but I hate to say it. It's a risk you're taking coming into a thread that discusses specifically classic episodes of a 50 year old show.

By showing an episode with the death of "main" character BBCA in a sense spoiled you more than the posts here.
Old 05-31-2013, 02:36 PM   #93
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
On the other hand, when they spend much of the first part of the show discussing that very plot point, it's hard to expect ANYBODY not to be spoiled by the time they get to the second part of the show...
I did give the disclaimer I haven't gotten to that special yet, I'm still on the one before it
Old 05-31-2013, 04:22 PM   #94
cal_s7

Hmm. I watched the first one last night. Or at least the start of it. Are they all like this? About 30 min of talking about the doctor and then 1.5hours of an old ep. In this case the Aztec stuff.

I am only interested in the first talking bit. I've seen all the shows. I was expecting 2 hours of talk. So, just wondering if they are all a small bit of talking and then a couple of old shows?
cal_s7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 04:39 PM   #95
Langree
The Gimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by cal_s7 View Post
Hmm. I watched the first one last night. Or at least the start of it. Are they all like this? About 30 min of talking about the doctor and then 1.5hours of an old ep. In this case the Aztec stuff.

I am only interested in the first talking bit. I've seen all the shows. I was expecting 2 hours of talk. So, just wondering if they are all a small bit of talking and then a couple of old shows?
Yes, each show features an old episode of the Doctor being discussed.
Old 05-31-2013, 05:02 PM   #96
cal_s7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langree View Post
Thanks.
cal_s7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 05:46 PM   #97
TonyD79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langree View Post

Yeah. The discussion length varies based on the length of the episode they show. All the episodes they have shown so far are readily available on Netflix, amazon prime, etc. So even if you hadn't seen them, you don't have to have a three hour program in your dvr to watch them.
Old 05-31-2013, 09:46 PM   #98
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by sieglinde View Post
I am curious as to why the laser gun effects were so bad when ST:TOS did a better job and it was 15 years earlier. I doubt if the methods of doing those effects were a big secret.
Wait, which doctor exactly were you referring to? TOS premiered in 1966. Oh, I guess you're right about 15 years, if you're talking about Davison.

As others have said, money. As much as people complain about Star Trek's effects nowadays, and (at least based on books I've read about it), those on the show complained about them, they were pretty darn high tech for the time.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 09:47 PM   #99
mattack

BTW, I happened to see these listed on BBC America.. and at least last week, they were available On Demand.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 08:35 AM   #100
sieglinde

Yeah 1966 and I was comparing it ti the effects I saw on the episode shown with the Fifth Doctor. The other episodes did it the smart way by not using very many special effects. Inassume that the newer 2005 and newer series have bigger budgets or CGI makes things cheaper.
Old 06-01-2013, 08:45 AM   #101
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

And I think the BBC is far more competitive now than it was in the 80s.

I don't know the politics, but apparently when Tom Baker was the Doctor, the BBC was constrained by law as to how much of a raise they could give people each year, and it was less than the increase of the cost of living. So the longer you stayed with a show (both cast and crew), the less you made in relative terms.

And clearly they weren't spending the money they saved on people on FX.

My vague recollection was that it was the government bleeding the Beeb dry, intentionally. Fortunately, things have changed (new government? New competition?), but by all accounts, the 70s and 80s were a very grim time to be making BBC shows.
Old 06-01-2013, 09:59 AM   #102
cstelter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyD79 View Post
Just found this. Audition tape for Paul McGann.

Thank god they didn't follow this story line.

http://io9.com/5758458/original-audi...been-way-worse
Interesting, though-- it *does* explain that line he had in the show about being half human on his mother's side. I'm wondering if that story line will eventually become canon through some later episodes or if they'll bury that 'backstory'.
Old 06-01-2013, 10:05 AM   #103
pteronaut
Registered Snoozer

The TV license (primary funding for the BBC) was far cheaper (in reality and relative terms also) back then and easier to evade paying, there were fewer households with TVs leading to fewer licenses, merchandising was minimal compared to today and there wasn't as many BBC originals syndicated worldwide, all leading to a very restrictive cash flow for the network.
pteronaut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 12:08 PM   #104
voripteth
User Advocate

Regarding the ending of Earthshock, its really too bad someone didn't have oh, say a time machine so they could fix things...
voripteth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 01:07 PM   #105
windracer
joined the 10k club

Quote:
Originally Posted by voripteth View Post
Regarding the ending of Earthshock, its really too bad someone didn't have oh, say a time machine so they could fix things...
Fixed point in time ... can't be changed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
windracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 01:19 PM   #106
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by windracer View Post
Yeah, it's always been a show that wanted to have all the fun of time travel, and none of the consequences.

It is what it is.
Old 06-04-2013, 03:21 AM   #107
Church AV Guy

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by windracer View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
Yeah, it's always been a show that wanted to have all the fun of time travel, and none of the consequences.

It is what it is.
Blinovitch Limitation Effect! Otherwise known as the convenient plot-device for NOT redoing mistakes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blinovi...itation_Effect

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it. - JOA
Church AV Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 07:46 AM   #108
tiassa
Me --Avatar

Quote:
IIRC Teegan and Nyssa spend the first few minutes of the next episode pleading with the Doctor to do just that.
tiassa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 01:01 PM   #109
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

Quote:
You may want to change that out of courtesy, considering this is a series of specials to help introduce new viewers to the old Doctors, you just hit me with a significant spoiler I wasn't expecting.
SPOILER ALERT: fans who have not watched a lot of Doctor Who, and want to watch the Doctor Who episodes without them being spoiled, should watch the episodes first, and then the "Doctor Who Revisited" specials second.

All of the specials are followed by episodes which have just been discussed in the specials. The episode selection isn't just random.

Edited to add: or what everyone else said.
Old 06-04-2013, 06:00 PM   #110
ADent

At least some of the reruns of the Doctors Revisted are just the talking heads bit trimmed to 1/2 hour. The new episode has the talking head bit (typ a little more than 1/2 hour) and a full episode.

So for Peter Davidson they re-ran the Tom Baker Revisted, then ran the PD Revsited and Earthshock together.

BTW Moffet does not spoil the surprise ending of Earthshock in the intro of the episode, even though they talked about it for quite a bit just a few minutes earlier.
ADent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 10:48 AM   #111
sieglinde

I don't think I have ever even laid eyes on the Seventh Doctor. I would have thought some of it would have been on US TV. The episode they showed with it was well done and action packed. They had a decent enough special effects budget to do better blaster effects and matter transmitter effects.
Old 07-29-2013, 11:11 AM   #112
gchance
4 8 15 16 23 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by sieglinde View Post
I don't think I have ever even laid eyes on the Seventh Doctor. I would have thought some of it would have been on US TV. The episode they showed with it was well done and action packed. They had a decent enough special effects budget to do better blaster effects and matter transmitter effects.
They did, at least on my own PBS station. I hated Colin Baker at the time, but really took to Sylvester McCoy. It was just before PBS stations stopped showing Doctor Who, so they probably didn't show McCoy much on your station as a result.

Greg

|
|
|

5k:
10k:
13.1M
26.2M
gchance is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 11:14 AM   #113
gchance
4 8 15 16 23 42

I should also add that I was totally in love with Ace.

Greg

|
|
|

5k:
10k:
13.1M
26.2M
Old 07-29-2013, 12:20 PM   #114
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gchance View Post
I should also add that I was totally in love with Ace.
Yeah, I actually don't remember McCoy...but I do remember Ace, so I must have seen at least some of them.
Old 07-29-2013, 02:09 PM   #115
gchance
4 8 15 16 23 42

I just remember that time pretty vividly. I had a friend at school who was a HUGE Doctor Who fan, and I have no idea how he had all this inside information on the show, given we were two high school students in a small town of 2500 people. Looking back, he probably read some Doctor Who magazine.

When we first watched it, he told me the whole back story of the show after watching a Tom Baker episode, and said something like, "What they're showing now is so much better, it's as good as our Star Trek movies!" Yeah right, Paul... at any rate, then he went on about Trial of a Timelord, how Colin Baker got screwed and refused to film a regeneration sequence, and that the end result was a fat guy in a Colin Baker wig suddenly becoming Sylvester McCoy.

And then it aired, and it was exactly as he described it.

Colin Baker/Sylvester McCoy Regeneration

Incidentally, his wife teaches at my kid's school, so I've gotten in touch with him recently. I called him out about saying it was good as Star Trek, and his response was, "Hey man, I was 16 years old." :P

Greg

|
|
|

5k:
10k:
13.1M
26.2M
Old 07-29-2013, 05:57 PM   #116
Kamakzie
Are you serious bro?

I assume they will skip Paul McGann and go right to Christopher Eccelston or will they show Paul McGann and the Doctor Who movie?
Old 07-29-2013, 08:49 PM   #117
Langree
The Gimp

Well, he is considered canon, but getting the rights to the movie might be an issue.
Old 07-29-2013, 09:24 PM   #118
pteronaut
Registered Snoozer

Regarding the latest installment, I still feel that Ghost Light or Curse Of Fenric would have been a better choice for a Seventh Doctor story, especially if they were to choose a story with Ace as a companion.
pteronaut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 09:50 PM   #119
TonyD79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamakzie View Post
I assume they will skip Paul McGann and go right to Christopher Eccelston or will they show Paul McGann and the Doctor Who movie?
They've said they are doing all 11. We will see how they handle it next month.

Added: FWIW, imdb lists 11 episodes and 8 on August 25.

BBC America webpage selling the DVD for 4 through 8 with the TV movie.

Last edited by TonyD79 : 07-29-2013 at 09:56 PM.
TonyD79 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 09:12 AM   #120
sieglinde

Their three hour time slot with an excessive amount of commercials seems to allow about n hour and a half of programming. So if I want to see the movie I will have to find it somewhere.