TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-25-2013, 04:53 PM   #1
yukit

Can a TivoXL with a 2TB internal drive take more storage?

I think I know the answer already, but I figured I will ask to verify.

I already upgraded a TivoXL (658000) with a 2TB internal drive. I am searching for options to increase the storage now that it is nearly full.

Based on the FAQ, I am already pretty much at the limit of max capacity with the 2TB internal drive (318 hours) I does not seem worth the hassle to add a 2nd drive just to get another 200GB or so.

Quote:
Tivo HD XL TCD658000 2.20 TB* (2200 GB)
Is there another way to increase the capacity? Like 3TB or 4TB internal drive?

My current workaround is to use my 2nd TivoHD to offload the recordings from TivoXL. I have also copied the SeasonPass from TivoXL to TivoHD to start recording new shows on the 2nd unit, but keeping both units in synch is a hassle.

TIA
XL 658
S2 540
yukit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 09:14 PM   #2
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

You can transfer your recordings to a PC for storage to any size hard drive without limitation, such as a NAS with 2+ TB storage, or a hard drive on the PC.

Adding an external drive to a Tivo will only add on problems and increase chances for failure, in which recordings will be lost.

I believe the hard drive limit is about 2.2TB total, either internal or combination of internal and external.

Tivo is not the best device for storage for a long term.

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!

Last edited by ThAbtO : 05-26-2013 at 12:36 AM.
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 02:46 PM   #3
yukit

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThAbtO View Post
You can transfer your recordings to a PC for storage to any size hard drive without limitation, such as a NAS with 2+ TB storage, or a hard drive on the PC.

Adding an external drive to a Tivo will only add on problems and increase chances for failure, in which recordings will be lost.

I believe the hard drive limit is about 2.2TB total, either internal or combination of internal and external.

Tivo is not the best device for storage for a long term.
Transfer to a PC with a lot of storage was a solution in my S2 days, but the spousal access factor to search & run from a PC was a no go (I even wrote a program to rename the files to sort in the series order, & make shortcut links in separate folders)

I understand all the trappings of the married drives. I did this in my S2 as well (two internal drives). It seems this is the only trivial solution to expand the storage space., but at the same time the it is the last resort.

If the max capacity is 2.2TB, it is a no go solution anyways.

Ultimately, I want a whole-house system. I can sort of get that today with a Premiere 4 & Minis but the capacity needs to be at least double today's limit.
XL 658
S2 540
Old 05-28-2013, 09:44 PM   #4
mattack

Even though I think I hosed my external download drive (now gets I/O errors) a few days ago, I do think an external drive is the best option.. with more carefulness than me!

I used to think it was too much of a hassle, but esp if you use kmttg & pytivo, you can get the recordings BACK from the Tivo interface.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 09:41 AM   #5
buscuitboy

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by yukit View Post

Ultimately, I want a whole-house system. I can sort of get that today with a Premiere 4 & Minis but the capacity needs to be at least double today's limit.
Yea, I ultimately want to go with a P4 and Mini solution for my needs, but I agree that the capacity needs to be increased some more. Also, I am waiting for the dynamic tuning allocation option to be fully implemented here before I seriously consider a mini solution. The lock down of a tuner (& its loss for recording purposes) for a mini is a BIG no-go for me.

I am also sort of waiting to see what TiVo's next line of DVRs will offer (hopefully by the fall). I would LOVE to see them have some sort of centralized box/server system where the storage can then easily be expanded as needed. Add numerous "dynamic" minis as needed as well. Also be able to add different type of optional tuners (OTA or digital cable card) via an external piece of hardware that would then simply plug into the main unit's USB port(s). This way you could also have more than 6 digital cable tuners if needed. I guess we'll see what they cook up.

Last edited by buscuitboy : 05-29-2013 at 12:43 PM.
buscuitboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 11:12 AM   #6
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

It boggles the mind that anyone wants more than 2TB, that's a TON of shows you'll never have time to watch. But I'm a watch and delete kind of guy so what do I know.
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 12:45 PM   #7
buscuitboy

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post
It boggles the mind that anyone wants more than 2TB, that's a TON of shows you'll never have time to watch. But I'm a watch and delete kind of guy so what do I know.
Normally, I would agree (& was even gonna make that same observation in my last post), but I guess it depends on your setup and needs.
buscuitboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 09:39 PM   #8
mattack

Quote:
2 TB *recording HD* is not that much IMHO. I admit I am not yet recording HD, but getting a BIG external drive *to* record HD is something I'm thinking about.

and yes, even though you risk losing shows (and I think I just did -- will try to recover it at some point), I *HAVE* gone back to watch YEAR OLD shows that I had downloaded off of the Tivo.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 09:56 PM   #9
yukit

Quote:
I tend to record an entire season of shows I am interested since I often don't have time to watch weekly or on weekends. I usually just declare DVR bankruptcy on my Elite; delete a bunch of series to rent/buy/stream them from other sources some day.

My spouse tend to horde all shows interesting to her with "keep until I delete" option on the 2TB TivoXL. The unit is constantly running out of space.
She is away from home for a few weeks so I had to come up with a short term solution; copy the Season Pass to the spare TivoHD. She will have to sort out the duplicates when she is back.

I think a whole-house solution would be a better allocation of storage instead of 2TB here & there. My Mini won't even need to a tuner, it would strictly be a streaming device.
XL 658
S2 540
Old 05-29-2013, 11:32 PM   #10
jmbach

Quote:
Originally Posted by yukit View Post
I think I know the answer already, but I figured I will ask to verify.

I already upgraded a TivoXL (658000) with a 2TB internal drive. I am searching for options to increase the storage now that it is nearly full.

Based on the FAQ, I am already pretty much at the limit of max capacity with the 2TB internal drive (318 hours) I does not seem worth the hassle to add a 2nd drive just to get another 200GB or so.

Is there another way to increase the capacity? Like 3TB or 4TB internal drive?

My current workaround is to use my 2nd TivoHD to offload the recordings from TivoXL. I have also copied the SeasonPass from TivoXL to TivoHD to start recording new shows on the 2nd unit, but keeping both units in synch is a hassle.

TIA
What I know at this time is that all current TiVos (as of 5/29/2013) cannot use a single drive over 2TB due to the limitation of the partition tables. Current tables use 512mb blocks. That with the total addressable blocks in the partition table limits the size to a 2TB drive. (since no one makes a 2.2TB drive)

Depending on how you expanded your drive and whether you are up to do some experimentation, we could see if we could marry an external drive to your currently expanded drive. I cannot guarantee the outcome, but the partition tables are separate on each drive so that in theory you can have another 2TB external drive. What I don't know is how the MFS partitions are addressed. The 2.2TB aggregate limit might be limited purely by the MFS partition structure and not by the drives partition tables. This might be why the premiere TiVos have an additional partition, the SQL lite partition, that keeps track of the recordings. If you are interested in trying then PM me.
Old 06-04-2013, 05:34 PM   #11
George Cifranci
Viva La Tivo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
2 TB *recording HD* is not that much IMHO. I admit I am not yet recording HD, but getting a BIG external drive *to* record HD is something I'm thinking about.

and yes, even though you risk losing shows (and I think I just did -- will try to recover it at some point), I *HAVE* gone back to watch YEAR OLD shows that I had downloaded off of the Tivo.
I recently installed a 2TB drive in my TiVo Series 3 and that is around 318 hours of HD recording.

TiVo S3 - (12-20-06) 318HR HD (2TB)
TiVo S2 - (06-16-04) 329HR SD (retired)
TiVo S1 - (10-03-01) 60HR SD (retired)
TV: Sony SXRD R60XBR1 HDTV
George Cifranci is offline   Reply With Quote