TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-04-2013, 10:29 AM   #1
JOL

Considering the purchase of a new TiVo

Hi all,

I apologize if I am posting in the wrong forum, but I could use some assistance. I previously owned a TiVo HD w/ lifetime service. However, I sold it about a year ago when my wife and I switched over to AT&T UVerse.

Unfortunately, our new place is in a zone that AT&T does not service (for either TV or internet), so it looks like the cable company is our only option for a TV/internet bundle (we looked at internet from the cable co. + DirecTV, but the cable company bundle was cheaper and locks in your rate for 2 years). With all that being said, I am considering purchasing either a new TiVo with lifetime subscription, or scouring Craigslist and eBay for a used Tivo with lifetime.

I would appreciate your suggestions on the best way to go - new Tivo Premiere, 4 XL4, used Tivo 3, used TiVo Premiere, etc. (I see these selling on eBay for $400 and up).

As I understand it, the 4 tuner TiVo's do not support OTA, so if we should ever decide to cut the cord, we ought to avoid those models?

Thanks all for your thoughts, and if I failed to provide additional information, please let me know.
JOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 11:23 AM   #2
atmuscarella

You should mention which cable company and where that way local people can tell you what issues you might be looking at.

In any event there are some expectations (rumors) (nothing official from TiVo) that there might be new hardware coming maybe even as early as this fall.

Other than that do you have more than one TV? are 2 tuners enough? What are your exceptions for speed? Do you want a newer HD UI or is the older SD UI ok?
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
atmuscarella is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 11:41 AM   #3
JOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by atmuscarella View Post
You should mention which cable company and where that way local people can tell you what issues you might be looking at.

In any event there are some expectations (rumors) (nothing official from TiVo) that there might be new hardware coming maybe even as early as this fall.

Other than that do you have more than one TV? are 2 tuners enough? What are your exceptions for speed? Do you want a newer HD UI or is the older SD UI ok?
Thanks - I have Cox Communications and live in Irvine, CA. I previously had a TiVo HD, which did work well w/ Cox. I am also okay w/ the older UI, as I have never used the newer UI. Of course, 4 tuners would be great, but realistically,I lived w/ 2 tuners for 5 years. I'm sure that I can live w/ it.

We will probably have 2 or 3 TV's in the house; however, my wife and I agreed that we would only have the DVR for one location. At the other 1 or 2 TV's, we'll just use an OTA antenna along with our Apple TV's.

One of the issues for us is the amount of money being spent. I would not mind spending the $ on a new 4-tuner unit w/ lifetime, but that will cost at least $650+ tax, which my wife is opposed to. Considering that Cox charges $5 for a box + $10 for DVR, that would take 3 years, 8 months to recoup that cost. If we bought a used unit for $350, that would only take 2 years (or less) to recoup the cost. My wife's much more on board with that!

However, I am trying to figure out if there is a compelling reason to buy the newer hardware over the older ones that we are familiar with. We never really used the Netflix or VOD add-ons anyway (we have a PS3 and Apple TV's for that), and we are used to the older UI.
Old 06-04-2013, 11:56 AM   #4
atmuscarella

I can not comment on anything Cox maybe doing but will make some general comments.
  • For a single DVR setup Series 3 TiVos are fine but if you want to go to a more whole home system in the future they will not be part of it.
  • Series 3 TiVos do not work with channels that a cable company broadcasts in MPEG4 (verus MPEG2) no idea if Cox has plans to change any channels to MPEG4 or not.
  • I am currently OTA only and for me both of my Series 3 TiVos deal with OTA reception issues better than my Premiere.

Good Luck,
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
Old 06-04-2013, 12:09 PM   #5
JOL

Quote:
I can not comment on anything Cox maybe doing but will make some general comments.
  • For a single DVR setup Series 3 TiVos are fine but if you want to go to a more whole home system in the future they will not be part of it.
  • Series 3 TiVos do not work with channels that a cable company broadcasts in MPEG4 (verus MPEG2) no idea if Cox has plans to change any channels to MPEG4 or not.
  • I am currently OTA only and for me both of my Series 3 TiVos deal with OTA reception issues better than my Premiere.

Good Luck,
Great information on the MPEG4 v. MPEG2 issue! Did not even think about that. I will need to ask Cox about this.

Is that the same as switched digital video? When I used my TiVo HD w/ Cox, I believe that they gave me a tuning adapter.
Old 06-04-2013, 12:22 PM   #6
Teeps

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOL View Post
Is that the same as switched digital video?
No, SDV is a band aide approach so the cable companies (all of them) can sell more channels than they have bandwidth to support.
Think 12 lbs of crap in a 10 pound bag, well sort of.
Teeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 12:31 PM   #7
JOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teeps View Post
No, SDV is a band aide approach so the cable companies (all of them) can sell more channels than they have bandwidth to support.
Think 12 lbs of crap in a 10 pound bag, well sort of.
Let me see if I understand you guys correctly:

TiVoHD and Series 3 - can only play channels broadcast in MPEG-2
TiVo Premiere and newer - can play both MPEG-2 and MPEG-4?

Thus, if I were to buy a used TiVO HD or Series 3, even w/ a tuning adapter, I might be missing a few HD channels that are broadcast in MPEG-4? If I were to buy a TiVo Premiere or newer, I would, in theory, be able to receive all HD channels within my package?

Another dumb question - what are OTA channels broadcast in? I ask because, let's say I buy a used TiVo HD or Series 3 and, in 2 years, we decide to cut the cord (or we decide to get a new TiVo) - would we be able to use the older technology w/ an OTA antenna?
Old 06-04-2013, 01:47 PM   #8
atmuscarella

Quote:
Let me see if I understand you guys correctly:

TiVoHD and Series 3 - can only play channels broadcast in MPEG-2
TiVo Premiere and newer - can play both MPEG-2 and MPEG-4?
Correct however the only pay TV providers I know about that us MPEG4 are the Sat companies (both Dish & Direct) and Verizon FIOS has just started too in some areas no idea other cable companies will follow FIOS or not. Note next post

Quote:
Thus, if I were to buy a used TiVO HD or Series 3, even w/ a tuning adapter, I might be missing a few HD channels that are broadcast in MPEG-4? If I were to buy a TiVo Premiere or newer, I would, in theory, be able to receive all HD channels within my package?
Correct again, Updated to reflect info in next post

Quote:
Another dumb question - what are OTA channels broadcast in? I ask because, let's say I buy a used TiVo HD or Series 3 and, in 2 years, we decide to cut the cord (or we decide to get a new TiVo) - would we be able to use the older technology w/ an OTA antenna?
OTA is MPEG2 and will stay that way unless there is some major change in the standard. I think the TiVo HD is a superior OTA DVR compared to the Premiere but others have no issues with the Premiere, just depends on your physical location and antenna setup.

Just a few more notes. The original Series 3 will require 2 cable cards where the TiVo HD and Premiere only need one. All the Series 3 and Premiere units work with Tuning adapters. Many people have posted they have more issues when they have to use tuning adapters but it does not appear to matter which TiVo they have. Again I don't know if Cox uses them now or will be in the future.

Good Luck,
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio

Last edited by atmuscarella : 06-04-2013 at 02:13 PM.
Old 06-04-2013, 02:02 PM   #9
moyekj

Quote:
Correct however the only pay TV providers I know about that us MPEG4 are the Sat companies (both Dish & Direct) and Verizon FIOS has just started too in some areas no idea other cable companies will follow FIOS or not.
FYI Cox in Orange County, CA (where OP is from) does have several H.264 channels as part of the "Plus" package. Some users in this area have switched to series 4 TiVos specifically because of this. Alternate premium channels and sports channels are among them. These channels are also in the 800-1000MHz frequency range which the older S3 OLED unit tuners don't support.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 02:10 PM   #10
atmuscarella

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
FYI Cox in Orange County, CA (where OP is from) does have several H.264 channels as part of the "Plus" package. Some users in this area have switched to series 4 TiVos specifically because of this. Alternate premium channels and sports channels are among them. These channels are also in the 800-1000MHz frequency range which the older S3 OLED unit tuners don't support.
Good to know and why I recommended he post where he was and what cable system. Hard to keep up with what is going on in the cable world around the country, being OTA only I tend to skim through posts about specific cable company issues and only remembered reading about FIOS but I am sure there are posts about Cox that I just missed (or forgot ).
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
Old 06-04-2013, 04:36 PM   #11
JOL

Quote:
Very helpful information. Thank you all! I will continue my search.
Old 06-04-2013, 05:37 PM   #12
Kingpcgeek
Couch Potato

Cox is in the middle of transitioning DVR's as well. They are offering their Whole Home DVR solution that might interest you. Currently they are still two tuners devices, but you can have multiples in your house for more tuner availability. Supposedly they are coming out with a 6 tuner DVR later this year along with version 2 of their Trio (HD) Program Guide.

More info: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1286642/co...home-dvr-cisco

Kingpcgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 05:39 PM   #13
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingpcgeek View Post
Cox is in the middle of transitioning DVR's as well. They are offering their Whole Home DVR solution that might interest you. Currently they are still two tuners devices, but you can have multiples in your house for more tuner availability.
However last I checked the DVRs cannot stream shows from each other - only client STBs can stream from the DVRs. Not much of a "whole home" solution with 500GB and 2 tuners. Also each DVR is on the order of $18/month including hardware and "DVR" service fees so if you want more tuners or disk space that gets expensive in a hurry. I saw some blurbs about that 6 tuner DVR but knowing Cox I wouldn't bank on seeing it any time soon.

Old 06-09-2013, 07:46 PM   #14
deltac50

Tivo Premiere - $60 shipped

Quote:
Hi all,

I apologize if I am posting in the wrong forum, but I could use some assistance. I previously owned a TiVo HD w/ lifetime service. However, I sold it about a year ago when my wife and I switched over to AT&T UVerse.

Unfortunately, our new place is in a zone that AT&T does not service (for either TV or internet), so it looks like the cable company is our only option for a TV/internet bundle (we looked at internet from the cable co. + DirecTV, but the cable company bundle was cheaper and locks in your rate for 2 years). With all that being said, I am considering purchasing either a new TiVo with lifetime subscription, or scouring Craigslist and eBay for a used Tivo with lifetime.

I would appreciate your suggestions on the best way to go - new Tivo Premiere, 4 XL4, used Tivo 3, used TiVo Premiere, etc. (I see these selling on eBay for $400 and up).

As I understand it, the 4 tuner TiVo's do not support OTA, so if we should ever decide to cut the cord, we ought to avoid those models?

Thanks all for your thoughts, and if I failed to provide additional information, please let me know.
Greetings. I have a Tivo Premiere (Model TCD746320) that I purchased on ebay, which I will sell for $60 - shipped. I bought a newer model from Tivo, but this one works perfectly fine.

I'm not sure if this is of interest to you, but one of the biggest advantages of Tivo over the DVRs provided by cable and satellite companies is a little program called kmttg. Look into it. Also, Roku is a sweet addition for your streaming video pleasure!

Anyway, I've been a Tivo user since '99. Can't imagine TV without Tivo!

Semper Fidelis.
deltac50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 08:35 PM   #15
ajwees41

[quote=Kingpcgeek;9688034]Cox is in the middle of transitioning DVR's as well. They are offering their Whole Home DVR solution that might interest you. Currently they are still two tuners devices, but you can have multiples in your house for more tuner availability. Supposedly they are coming out with a 6 tuner DVR later this year along with version 2 of their Trio (HD) Program Guide.

Who told you Cox is transitioning dvr's? I don't think they are just using only Cisco in all markets for the whole home dvr and those will be the only cox provided box to get the plus pack channels.
ajwees41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 11:52 PM   #16
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

Quote:
Here is the list of MPEG-4 (H.264) channels, Cox now calls them Advanced TV Plus, any new HD channels added will most likely be H.264.
http://ww2.cox.com/residential/orang...-lineup.cox#15

CoxInPHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 12:00 AM   #17
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

Here is what Cox will be offering later this summer,

Cisco 6 Tuner DVR Gateway, I have no idea if Cox will offer any thin clients or will just offer networked single tuner STBs that can access the DVR recordings.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps12291/index.html

Cox-Cisco Videoscape Multiscreen Gateway 9800 Series

Cox-Cisco Videoscape Multiscreen Gateway 9800 Series
You need to upgrade your Flash Player

Last edited by CoxInPHX : 06-12-2013 at 12:08 AM.
Old 06-22-2013, 05:01 AM   #18
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

Quote:
Thanks - I have Cox Communications and live in Irvine, CA.
The Cox Cisco 6 Tuner DVR Gateway (dubbed the "Record 6 DVR") was scheduled to launch in Orange County, CA on June 27th, and has been pushed back to July 2nd.

http://forums.cox.com/forum_home/tv_.../4/t/1824.aspx
"The 6-tuner DVR, which you might hear called a lot of different names - "G8," "Cisco 9865," "6-tuner DVR," etc., but which we're now calling the "Record 6 DVR," should first launch on June 27th in Oklahoma City, Orange County, and Santa Barbara. Other markets will follow."

"Trio 2.1 is now in final testing in Escondido (San Diego) and Palos Verdes and with some employees. It should then launch marketwide in Orange County, Palos Verdes, Santa Barbara, and Oklahoma City on 6/27.
The Record 6 DVR then launches in Orange County, Palos Verdes, Santa Barbara, and Oklahoma City on 7/2."

And the biggest additional feature at launch will be a 2-terabyte hard drive.

Last edited by CoxInPHX : 06-22-2013 at 05:09 AM.
Old 06-22-2013, 11:24 AM   #19
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoxInPHX View Post
The Cox Cisco 6 Tuner DVR Gateway (dubbed the "Record 6 DVR") was scheduled to launch in Orange County, CA on June 27th, and has been pushed back to July 2nd.

http://forums.cox.com/forum_home/tv_.../4/t/1824.aspx
"The 6-tuner DVR, which you might hear called a lot of different names - "G8," "Cisco 9865," "6-tuner DVR," etc., but which we're now calling the "Record 6 DVR," should first launch on June 27th in Oklahoma City, Orange County, and Santa Barbara. Other markets will follow."

"Trio 2.1 is now in final testing in Escondido (San Diego) and Palos Verdes and with some employees. It should then launch marketwide in Orange County, Palos Verdes, Santa Barbara, and Oklahoma City on 6/27.
The Record 6 DVR then launches in Orange County, Palos Verdes, Santa Barbara, and Oklahoma City on 7/2."

And the biggest additional feature at launch will be a 2-terabyte hard drive.
Interesting that the DVR has built in 2-stream transcoder capabilities which presumably can be used like TiVo Stream to stream and or download to portable devices.
Also has DLNA client capabilities.

Of course features Cox will probably never actually make use of...