TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-04-2013, 09:50 AM   #1
TiVoJedi

What's the new Survivor-like show?

While entering the theater to see the new Trek movie I caught a glimpse of a preview at Cinemark for some kind of Survivor-like reality show starting soon where people are dropped off on an island with only water and have to survive while they hunt for a treasure. I didn't catch the name of it, nor what network is showing it. Anyone know what this is and when\where I can see it?
Old 06-04-2013, 10:05 AM   #2
Waldorf
Super Duper Member

Maybe Naked & Afraid on Discovery?

http://dsc.discovery.com/tv-shows/naked-and-afraid
Old 06-04-2013, 10:34 AM   #3
WhiskeyTango

72 Hours

June 6 on TNT
WhiskeyTango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 10:45 AM   #4
Waldorf
Super Duper Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeyTango View Post
72 Hours

June 6 on TNT
Ah, that seems more likely although I may try to catch the premiere of both. The Discovery show seems more survival-skill based whereas the TNT one seems like something they'd advertise in Cinemark.

The 72 hours show, it appears the briefcase is tagged with GPS and they have a tracker? It's just a matter of finding it in time.
Old 06-04-2013, 11:21 AM   #5
appleye1

Thumbs up

Reminds me a bit of "Lost". (No, not that"Lost".)I mean the reality show called "Lost" that Conan O'Brien's company produced back around the time Survivor first came on the air. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lost_(2...)#U.S._version

I likedthat show. It was an"The Amazing Race" competitor but more brutal. (No clues, no spending money. They just dropped you off somewhere in the world and it was up to you to figure out how to get back to the US.) Unfortunately it was a victim of 9/11 (as was the 2nd season of the Mole pretty much. It was a bad time for realityTV.)

I Cut The Cord! 02/11 (OTA Hulu+ Netflix)
TiVo user since 12/99
Yamms:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

appleye1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 11:25 AM   #6
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by appleye1 View Post
Reminds me a bit of "Lost". (No, not that"Lost".)I mean the reality show called "Lost" that Conan O'Brien's company produced back around the time Survivor first came on the air. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lost_(2...)#U.S._version

I likedthat show. It was an"The Amazing Race" competitor but more brutal. (No clues, no spending money. They just dropped you off somewhere in the world and it was up to you to figure out how to get back to the US.) Unfortunately it was a victim of 9/11 (as was the 2nd season of the Mole pretty much. It was a bad time for realityTV.)
Not to mention that it just doesn't sit well with most viewers to have Americans, being followed by a camera crew, trying to win a large cash prize, begging for money in places like Mongolia where the locals probably live on the equivalent of a few hundred dollars a year.
Old 06-04-2013, 11:26 AM   #7
Donbadabon
Geocacher

I'm in for both. I'll give them a shot.
Donbadabon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 12:19 PM   #8
Waldorf
Super Duper Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
Not to mention that it just doesn't sit well with most viewers to have Americans, being followed by a camera crew, trying to win a large cash prize, begging for money in places like Mongolia where the locals probably live on the equivalent of a few hundred dollars a year.
Wow.. vague memories of this one. If I remember right, the team that won made it to a coastal town and got hired on a cruise ship and eventually made it back to the Statue of Liberty? The other teams were nowhere near finishing, so it wasn't a typical "exciting race to the finish" viewers might have been expecting.
Old 06-04-2013, 12:33 PM   #9
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waldorf View Post
Wow.. vague memories of this one. If I remember right, the team that won made it to a coastal town and got hired on a cruise ship and eventually made it back to the Statue of Liberty? The other teams were nowhere near finishing, so it wasn't a typical "exciting race to the finish" viewers might have been expecting.
Yes, it was much more about the adventure aspect of finding their way home than it was about the "race" aspect of trying to be first. Sure, first was the ultimate goal, but it wasn't like TAR where everything was planned and each episode starts with all the teams in the same place. It was literally remove the blindfold, the teams have no idea where in the world they are, they don't know which direction to walk, they have limited supplies, they don't know their partner, and they have to get to NYC as quickly as possible.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lost_(2001_TV_series)
Old 06-04-2013, 02:44 PM   #10
TiVoJedi

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeyTango View Post
72 Hours

June 6 on TNT
THANK YOU!
Old 06-04-2013, 02:52 PM   #11
TiVoJedi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waldorf View Post
Maybe Naked & Afraid on Discovery?

http://dsc.discovery.com/tv-shows/naked-and-afraid
Thanks also! Excited for both shows!
Old 06-04-2013, 03:07 PM   #12
pmyers

Thanks for the head's up.
pmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 08:26 AM   #13
Bob Coxner

Discovery had a recent series Naked Castaway. http://dsc.discovery.com/tv-shows/naked-castaway It made Survivorman look like a walk in the park. No tools, no food, no water, no clothes, and alone on a deserted island for 60 days. It might still be available On Demand or elsewhere. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RKWeiDwogI
DirecTV since 1999
Bob Coxner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 01:29 PM   #14
hfcsyrup

72 hours sounds decent. but so did that reality show last year on tnt..looking it up... the great escape?
that was horrific. afraid to try another tnt show after that. but rich eisen didnt help
hfcsyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 08:53 PM   #15
MauriAnne
Mostly lurking

Maybe it was "Get Out Alive" on NBC? Premieres 7/8

http://www.nbc.com/get-out-alive/