TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-03-2013, 10:40 PM   #481
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherry ghost View Post
I slight fix I've noticed that was broken in a prior update is when selecting a different airing of a show to record from "Upcoming" once again automatically adds in any padding you had set in the original recording when you go to the "Recording Options" screen.
I thought I've seen it do it only sometimes -- i.e. I *THOUGHT* that if you get to View Upcoming from different places, it either did or didn't add the padding. I don't have exact steps, so hadn't mentioned it. It previously used to NOT add it in at all (on P4 in HD UI mode that is).
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 11:51 PM   #482
cherry ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
I thought I've seen it do it only sometimes -- i.e. I *THOUGHT* that if you get to View Upcoming from different places, it either did or didn't add the padding. I don't have exact steps, so hadn't mentioned it. It previously used to NOT add it in at all (on P4 in HD UI mode that is).

You have to do it from "Upcoming" from within "Explore this show", not from "View other showings". You also have to select "Options", not just "Record this episode"
cherry ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 11:54 PM   #483
ufo4sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by nooneuknow View Post
Although I'd rather beat myself with a sock full of broken glass and dog turds, than use TiVo for Netflix (or any of the streaming apps), I do give them a shot after each update, just to see if they've changed...

What you describe has already been reported, and I confirmed it as well. I could be wrong, but I think a prior update that installed the "new" interface, had that bug, another took it away, and now it's back again, just like a few other issues, or annoyances, in other functions, that have been reported and confirmed.

Although, it seems that nobody is taking in to account that the people who seem to be having the least issues, or annoyances, with this update, are running on the 4-tuner platform. It's annoying, because I don't feel those who can't afford to upgrade every time TiVo drops another turd (product) on the market, should be treated like lepers.

I have 4 Premiere TCD746320 (2-tuner models).

Perhaps the Original Poster, who started this thread, and those invested in this thread should start trying to convince people it MATTERS what model you have (as in "TiVo Premiere" alone, just isn't enough).
I have zero problems exiting a show and going back to the main menu in netflix and I to have a two turner premier TiVo.
Old 06-04-2013, 12:14 AM   #484
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by ufo4sale View Post
I have zero problems exiting a show and going back to the main menu in netflix and I to have a two turner premier TiVo.
I misunderstood that post and replied about a different Netflix issue. Oops, my bad, post retracted.

But, I still mean this part of it:

Although, it seems that nobody is taking in to account that the people who seem to be having the least issues, or annoyances, with this update, are running on the 4-tuner platform. It's annoying, because I don't feel those who can't afford to upgrade every time TiVo drops another turd (product) on the market, should be treated like lepers.

I have 4 Premiere TCD746320 (2-tuner models).

Perhaps the Original Poster, who started this thread, and those invested in this thread should start trying to convince people it MATTERS what model you have (as in "TiVo Premiere" alone, just isn't enough).

Last edited by nooneuknow : 06-04-2013 at 01:02 AM. Reason: misunderstanding
nooneuknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 07:04 AM   #485
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

MRS Info Bar Missing Items

I noticed the following items are missing in the Info Bar when viewing using MRS (Streaming) from a remote Series 4.

Would someone without the 20.3.1 update see if any of these items are in the 20.2.2.1 SW when viewing using MRV.
  • Season# and Episode# (I recall these were missing also in 20.2.2.1)
  • Date & Time of recording New?
  • Program Categories (i.e. Sitcom, Drama, Horror, Suspense, etc) New?
    (Note: the commas are still shown though, between were the Categories should be)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by CoxInPHX : 06-04-2013 at 11:16 PM.
CoxInPHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 08:23 AM   #486
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

OP you need a section in your first post for known bugs not fixed. I've posted a couple and others have too and if Tivo ever looks at these threads (ha!) it could be useful.
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 08:54 AM   #487
chiguy50

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoxInPHX View Post
I noticed the following items are missing in the Info Bar when viewing using MRV from a remote Series 4.

Would someone without the 20.3.1 update see if any of these items are in the 20.2.2.1 SW when viewing using MRV.
    (Note: the commas are still shown though, between were the Categories should be)
Confirmed as per the above.
chiguy50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 09:17 AM   #488
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiguy50 View Post
Confirmed as per the above.
But were they missing before 20.3.1? or are you confirming the two New ones are only missing in 20.3.1?
I am pretty sure the Season# and Episode# were missing before.

Last edited by CoxInPHX : 06-04-2013 at 09:26 AM.
Old 06-04-2013, 09:57 AM   #489
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post
You have to bring up the guide while in playback, then either schedule or modify a recording AND go into the options screen for it (from the guide). If you just schedule a recording with no options and don't leave the guide you won't see it - you have to leave the recording you're watching by selecting other options, in other words, to go set padding and other stuff. Then when you hit left arrow to exit the options screen, you're in the guide again BUT with live TV instead of the recording you're watching.

This happens every single time for me, if you do it as I said I can't see how you'd not see this. Nasty bug for sports watchers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
I was able to duplicate the behavior you describe - if I turned off the video window. If I leave it on as I usually do, no problem.
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post
Must be it, I leave the video window off all the time. Funny bug.
Same here:
I was able to duplicate the behavior you describe - But only if I turned off the video window. If I leave it on as I usually do, no problem.

Old 06-04-2013, 11:13 AM   #490
lpwcomp

Quote:
I noticed the following items are missing in the Info Bar when viewing using MRV from a remote Series 4.

Season# and Episode# (I recall these were missing also in 20.2.2.1)
This is acquired from the net based on programId. It's very inconsistent as to how long and for which episodes the info is still available.
Quote:
Date & Time of recording New?
Can you attach a screen shot because I don't have this issue.
Quote:
Program Categories (i.e. Sitcom, Drama, Horror, Suspense, etc) New?
Also acquired from the net based based on programId. Again, screen shot would be helpful because what I see in that situation is the actual word "Separator", not commas.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 02:12 PM   #491
JoeKustra
Cable only

Quote:
This is acquired from the net based on programId. It's very inconsistent as to how long and for which episodes the info is still available.
Also acquired from the net based based on programId. Again, screen shot would be helpful because what I see in that situation is the actual word "Separator", not commas.
What are the contents of this programId? A pointer to its spec would be appreciated. Thanks.
JoeKustra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 03:24 PM   #492
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post
What are the contents of this programId? A pointer to its spec would be appreciated. Thanks.
There is no spec to which I can point. In the XML for a recording, it is the <program> level <uniqueId>, just as the seriesId is the <series> level <uniqueId>.

As far as the actual value is concerned, go to zap2it, go to an episode of a series. The URL will contain a string of this pattern: EPnnnnnnnnnnnn. For instance, Season 4, Episode 2 of "The Glades" has a URL of
"http://tvlistings.zap2it.com/tv/the-glades-shot-girls/EP012881580040"

EP012881580040 is the programId of that episode. Note here that zap2it's seriesId is EP01288158, TiVo seriesId is SH01288158.

The problem is not this field being missing, it is that whatever db the TiVo uses to get the rest of the data based on this field apparently does not maintain entries indefinitely.

Old 06-04-2013, 03:44 PM   #493
shamilian

Ever since the update I get a little pixelation ( a few macro blocks in a geometric pattern ) maybe once a day... When I look at the DVR info it always says no RS errors...
shamilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 04:27 PM   #494
JoeKustra
Cable only

Quote:
There is no spec to which I can point. In the XML for a recording, it is the <program> level <uniqueId>, just as the seriesId is the <series> level <uniqueId>.
Thank you. I was just asking to see if this item could explain errors in the guide, SP and To Do List.

Just to keep it short, the recent shows of Motive (on ABC) and Continuum (on SyFy) cause problems. It may be related to their Canadian origin. And, as I have said before, Zap2It doesn't have this problem.
JoeKustra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 04:49 PM   #495
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post
Thank you. I was just asking to see if this item could explain errors in the guide, SP and To Do List.

Just to keep it short, the recent shows of Motive (on ABC) and Continuum (on SyFy) cause problems. It may be related to their Canadian origin. And, as I have said before, Zap2It doesn't have this problem.
That issue has been discussed in numerous threads for years, including in SyFy Continuum Season Pass . It has absolutely nothing to do the recent update and is not even limited to the Premiere. All TiVos work exactly the same way in this regard.

Old 06-04-2013, 08:43 PM   #496
azbimmer

Can I force an update

My Tivo (in AZ) still shows the old version, whereas everyone here seems to be getting the new update.

Is there a way to force my Tivo Premier XL4 to update its software?
azbimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 11:12 PM   #497
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

Quote:
EDIT: I originally meant to say MRS (Streaming) not MRV (Transfer) sorry for the confusion.

Note: Thumbs ratings also missing.

Remote TiVo MRS Info Bar - Missing Info

Main TiVo Info Bar

Attached Images
File Type: jpg MainTiVo-InfoBar.jpg (41.0 KB, 225 views)
File Type: jpg Remote-MRS-InfoBar.jpg (45.4 KB, 224 views)

Last edited by CoxInPHX : 06-05-2013 at 12:13 AM.
Old 06-05-2013, 12:07 AM   #498
JWhites

Any patches released in the past few weeks that resolved any of the problems we've all noticed?
JWhites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 12:12 AM   #499
JWhites

I noticed the random commas in that upper right corner when I'd watch Jay Leno. Before the update it would say "Comedy, Talk Show". But since the 20.3.1 update, just the commas.

I just checked your Doctor Who episode on a 20.2.2 software box and the Drama, Fantasy, Science Fiction categories are there. I've been seeing programs with "Separator" as a category on the 20.2.2 software so I don't think it's something that changed in 20.3.1 This is both locally and through MRS.
I do see the issue of Separator showing up in place of the actual category when watching a program that was transferred from a box running 20.2.2.1 to another also running 20.2.2.1. For example I have the program "Nashville" recorded on my living room TiVo Premiere. When I stream it to my TiVo Premiere 4 in the bedroom everything works fine and it shows "Drama" as the category, however when I transfer the same program from the living room to the bedroom and watch the program in the bedroom, "Separator" shows up as the category instead of "Drama".

Last edited by JWhites : 06-05-2013 at 02:43 AM.
Old 06-05-2013, 12:16 AM   #500
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
EDIT: I originally meant to say MRS (Streaming) not MRV (Transfer) sorry for the confusion.

Remote TiVo MRS Info Bar - Missing Info

Main TiVo Info Bar

I see what you mean. The info is missing when I use my two tuner Premiere to stream from my ELites. But when I use my Minis the info is there.
40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 12:22 AM   #501
JWhites

Quote:
I noticed the following items are missing in the Info Bar when viewing using MRS (Streaming) from a remote Series 4.

* The season and episode issue I'm not seeing on 20.2.2.1 Some programs just don't have it while others do. I do see the issue when watching a program that was transferred from a box running 20.2.2.1 to another also running 20.2.2.1.
* Date and time issue I'm not seeing on 20.2.2.1 (watching Worlds Wildest Police Videos)
* I'm not seeing any problem with the program categories being missing on 20.2.2.1. I did however see this problem start with the 20.3.1 update with just the commas appearing.

This is both locally on the box as well as through MRS.

Last edited by JWhites : 06-05-2013 at 02:36 AM.
Old 06-05-2013, 12:39 AM   #502
JWhites

Quote:
I would like to update the first post in this thread, so please list the following observations you have regarding the 20.3.1 SW Update.

Please use brief, succinct statements, and links to threads or posts of observations and/or previous bugs
  • New Functionality - Improvements
    1. MLBtv
    2. Initiating a recording from the guide seems more fluid. No "please wait" box pops up and the guide seems to refresh in a cleaner manner. - http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...09#post9664109

• Bugs - Fixed
    1. Fixed - Minimum File Size Bug (of 2.05GB/.5Hr-SD / 4.1GB/.5Hr-HD) - http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=500526

• Bugs - Newly Introduced
    1. The "One Moment" screen launches in HD then quickly changes resolution to blurry.
    2. Info Bar now only shows 3 lines of text for the program description, then truncates the remaining. Four lines of text may/will initially display but quickly shortens to 3 lines. - http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...52#post9665852
    3. Deleting items from the RDF now takes 5 seconds for the list to repopulate, before the next item can be deleted.
    4. Signal Meter appears not to be accurate and will report the same Signal Level for all channels. (needs further research) http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...93#post9678493

• Changes but not necessarily Bugs
    1. MBT (MotherBoard Temp) no longer has a temperature degree symbol ° and no longer has the (Normal) status
    2. Network/Phone text changed to just Network on 2 tuner Premieres
    3. Font size increase in Info Bar for Other Tuner(s) info
You forgot to mention the issue with the network setup diagram displaying a TiVo Mini/Preview instead of a TiVo Premiere/4. Don't know if anyone else noticed it though. It's minor but can be confusing for novice users setting up for the first time.

Regarding these errors and bugs, according to TiVo tech support: "If customers are having problems with their equipment they need to call in and report it, not just post about it on the forum, otherwise it can't/won't be fixed." The agent I spoke to on the phone made it sound spiteful.
Old 06-05-2013, 12:41 AM   #503
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWhites View Post
According to TiVo. "If customers are having problems with their equipment they need to call in and report it, not just post about it on the forum, otherwise it can't be fixed"
VERY TRUE! I've made mention of that many times when posting in this thread. If 10,000 people report a bug here, but only 10 report it DIRECTLY to TiVo, what can any reasonable and logical person expect to happen?

TiVo has five ways to contact them, as well as their own forums (which these are NOT). There's no excuse for not making use of the 24/7 support options they have, in addition to their business hours support options.

If you don't get the information to TiVo, directly, but spend all your time and effort posting here... Sorry, it's all for nothing, if you actually want TiVo to do something.

There's nothing wrong with what goes on HERE, and we can all help each other HERE, to the best of our abilities, just not TiVo themselves...
Old 06-05-2013, 12:59 AM   #504
lpwcomp

Quote:

Remote TiVo MRS Info Bar
OK, I concur on all three of the bullets as bugs, and I think new to this release, even bullet 1 (can someone still running 20.2.2.1 check this?). No idea on the Thumbs ratings. I never really pay attention to that. I don't see them on a transferred recording either.

Old 06-05-2013, 02:29 AM   #505
JWhites

Quote:
OK, I concur on all three of the bullets as bugs, and I think new to this release, even bullet 1 (can someone still running 20.2.2.1 check this?). No idea on the Thumbs ratings. I never really pay attention to that. I don't see them on a transferred recording either.
I did. Didn't notice these being new since as I said before I'm seeing it in the 20.2.2.1.
Old 06-05-2013, 02:31 AM   #506
JWhites

So far the bugs and glitches and changes far outweigh the improvements introduced in this current update which sucks.
Old 06-05-2013, 02:45 AM   #507
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWhites View Post
You forgot to mention the issue with the network setup diagram displaying a TiVo Mini/Preview instead of a TiVo Premiere/4. Don't know if anyone else noticed it though. It's minor but can be confusing for novice users setting up for the first time.
Where is this network setup diagram in the Premiere Menu?

Old 06-05-2013, 02:59 AM   #508
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

Quote:
Originally Posted by nooneuknow View Post
VERY TRUE! I've made mention of that many times when posting in this thread. If 10,000 people report a bug here, but only 10 report it DIRECTLY to TiVo, what can any reasonable and logical person expect to happen?

TiVo has five ways to contact them, as well as their own forums (which these are NOT). There's no excuse for not making use of the 24/7 support options they have, in addition to their business hours support options.

If you don't get the information to TiVo, directly, but spend all your time and effort posting here... Sorry, it's all for nothing, if you actually want TiVo to do something.

There's nothing wrong with what goes on HERE, and we can all help each other HERE, to the best of our abilities, just not TiVo themselves...
Honestly, the only way to get something fixed from my experience is to contact Margret directly.

TiVo Support has scripted responses that never actually address the real issue.

Old 06-05-2013, 03:27 AM   #509
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Honestly, the only way to get something fixed from my experience is to contact Margret directly.

TiVo Support has scripted responses that never actually address the real issue.
True, on the scripted responses, and generally being USELESS, except for the fact that you called and reported a problem gets logged into the same system that scripts their useless excuse for support.

Even though what we tell them isn't part of a script, it's supposed to be logged, categorized, and analyzed, at some point.

How many times have you had a product, where it's been nothing but problems, you put up with it, try to work around it, and then, as a last resort call to seek help, or complain, and hear "This is the first time we've heard from you about it."? As frustrating as it is, what's worse is that support reps will OUTRIGHT LIE TO YOU, and say that your the first and only person to report a problem. That's how TiVo handled the TiVo HD "grey screen" issue, right up until it leaked out that they were working on a fix for it. Then, all of a sudden, they acknowledged it wasn't some small and isolated problem.

I put dealing with a TiVo "support representative" up high in the top ten things that piss me off, and I avoid, if possible. I have to take extra blood pressure meds and beta-blockers, just to dial just about any support number. It's not just TiVo that is as you describe. It's the cableco, the phoneco, my cell provider, and on, and on, and on.

We just need to see it for what it is! It's a way for them to avoid having to do anything, by making us feel that it doesn't matter if we call, THEN BLAMING US FOR NOT CALLING, if we don't. Yes, if you have an insider, or a reliable contact, that actually gives you true support and gets things done, that works good too... But, those who we tend to start leaning on too hard, might either get crushed, or fired (by actually helping, outside the script).

Last edited by nooneuknow : 06-05-2013 at 03:35 AM.
Old 06-05-2013, 04:56 AM   #510
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

In addition to my prior rant, I'd like to share something interesting I found. I've misplaced my TiVo Desktop Plus key, and was digging around on TiVo's website. I found a section called My Support, which shows entries dating back to 2008. Any time I was persistent enough to get a matter "escalated", it got logged there, in rather good detail (but not the un-escalated ones), along with every time I called to cancel service, or whenever "ERT" (some form of department in TiVo), or "TiVo Executive Relations" got involved, or was asked to be involved by somebody else within TiVo.

When I had basically threatened to abandon TiVo and go on a crusade against them in 2010, I'd used their online e-mail support portal to give a very long rant, which also included all the details of my issues I wanted addressed. What I found VERY INTERESTING, was that every response, by every person, that the matter was forwarded to, within TiVo, was there, complete with dates, times, full names, e-mail addresses, and so on. There were a few comments I found HIGHLY OFFENSIVE/VERY INNAPROPRIATE, like as if they'd been included by accident, or the person who commented didn't know I would ever see it (it DID take me 3 years to see it for the first time, but hadn't looked for it, either).

In trying to keep this short, I'll say I just finished e-mailing them via their online portal, asking them for my TiVo Desktop Plus product key, checked that same area, and there it was, documented that I placed that inquiry, and that it is currently is still open/unresolved.

So, here's how I see it: If you want to start a documented trail of every contact made with TiVo, that you can see for yourself, use the online email portal, or call in and demand they escalate the matter, if your phone session proves useless. Check your support logs for an entry about it (I'd say give it a business day to appear). If you see nothing, call back, call back, call back, and keep at it. If no luck, use the email portal, and print copies (in case the entries should disappear, instead of being marked as closed/resolved).

I do have to say, that the ONLY times, I got anywhere with TiVo, and got satisfactory results, was when I did what it took to get entries in that personal support log.

While ANY support call you make to TiVo SHOULD be logged, categorized, and later analyzed, it does seem to take getting "escalated" beyond the 1st-tier level of support drones, in order for you to see for yourself, that contacting them is, at minimum, logged.