TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-30-2013, 06:14 PM   #91
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
To further help support this system the FCC also requires that all cable company leased equipment uses CableCARDs too.
Cox is now claiming that the ruling ONLY applies to equipment manufactured after the ruling.

So, guess what they're doing in my area: They're taking their old boxes, "refurbishing" them, and using those instead. If you have a box with a cablecard in it, and they come out on a service call, they take it back, and give you one with the old integrated way of doing things.

They then "refurbish" the cablecards that were in their cablecarded boxes, and give those cards to customers that don't use their equipment.

If it your TiVo doesn't work with the cablecard provided, they blame anything BUT the cablecard, and say "We don't support TiVo or other 3rd party equipment".

They used to give Cisco/SA PKM800 cards ONLY to their TiVo & 3rd-party cablecard customers. The only place you'd EVER see a PKM802 cablecard was if you peeked inside their own equipment.

Now, if you request six cablecards, you'll get handed a mix of both PKM800 and PKM802 cards.

If you specifically ask for a cablecarded box that is one of theirs, they'll say "those are very hard to come by, sorry".
nooneuknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 06:44 PM   #92
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by E. Norma Stitz View Post
If you want to attack me personally because you don't like what I have to say, you can do us both a favor and put me on ignore
best thing I've seen you post in a while, thanks
Old 05-30-2013, 07:44 PM   #93
jcondon

Quote:
Originally Posted by WO312 View Post
Guys, guys, guys. Sure, his problem is probably with TWC. What the F is he supposed to do??? Sue them?? All he wants is a reliable device. i don't blame him.
I had a lot of the same issues with Cablevision and their cable cards and TA. The TA would reboot or go offline several times a week. I tried to self install it failed. As did the next tech. It took at least one more visit and ANOTHER tech with a clue and 30 mins or so of hold time.

The cable companies have a inferior system and don't want to support Tivo, CC or TA. They don't remotely care.

I figured out what channels I would lose (at the time). It was premium movie channels and some foreign lang stuff. So I disconnected the TA. Canceled my movie package (saving myself some money) and returned the TA to their local office. 10 months later FIOS lit up my apartment complex. I switched ASAP and canceled my Cablevision account. I dumped all their stuff off at their local office the same day I got FIOS installed.

Later I decided to reactivate my Tivo. Went to the local FIOS store got a CC. Looked new instead of the beatup crap Cablevision was using. Installed it and call a toll free number to activate. Only issue I had was HBO didn't work (and I think Showtime). I had to call in and have them pair the CC to the Tivo. I wish they would have told me that or put that down on the paper I got with the CC.

But the whole process was maybe 1.5 hours including drive time to and from the store vs dozens of hours wasted with Cablevision.

I am probably moving soon (or may stay one more year). I hope my next place can get FIOS.
Old 05-30-2013, 07:53 PM   #94
jcondon

Quote:
In many other regions, with different MSOs, CableCARDs and tuning adapters work exactly as they are suppose to with few, if any, problems.
I have had 2 or 3 truck rolls with Cablevision for a self install CC.

I have had 0 truck rolls with Fios for a self install CC.

There really should be no reason for a truck roll if the system works properly. Big IF with some of the cable companies.
Old 05-30-2013, 07:59 PM   #95
jcondon

Quote:
I had no problems pairing my CC with neither Cablevision or FIOS and that's exactly why I don't understand how it's the MSO's fault your 3rd party equipment locks up and reboots, misses recordings, sluggish performance...
The crappy TA that Cablevision provides isn't my equipment. This is the POS that reboots. Why didn't myself install work? Why couldn't the clueless Cablevision tech get the card I picked up or the one he brought to work? Were the cards bad? Maybe they were beatup used POS.

Why did the CC I picked up at the Verizon FIOS store just work (save for HBO which I had to call in and have them pair my Tivo to the card)?

Cablevision has finally upgraded to digital and I don't think needs SDV anymore or will be switch off it finally. With Fios you never had to deal with a TA. Even before that I had issues with SDV. More then a few times with the wonderful SA8300HD I would put on a SDV channel only to be told a channel I pay for is not available at this time.
Old 05-30-2013, 08:01 PM   #96
jcondon

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfl View Post
I agree. However, using the cable co's DVR isn't always trouble free. They also have to be rebooted occasionally and have problems that require more than one truck roll to fix.
I went through 4 or 5 SA8300HD cableboxes in 4 years. They don't really seem to do a good job at refurbishing or testing these things.
Old 05-30-2013, 08:11 PM   #97
Bigg

The Premiere has a LOT of work that needs to be done on it's software, however, it's the best thing out there right now. I've heard good things about the Genie, but I have no interest in paying another $30-$40/mo or more when you include the additional cost of DirecTV, and the unbundling fee Comcast charges on the cable internet, plus the loss of bundle discount on double play.
Parents: XFinity Motorola AnyRoom DVR
80 HR Series 2 Lifetime 4/11/04 DEAD as of 11/2010
Bigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 08:14 PM   #98
Langree
The Gimp

I see someone left the toolbox open again.

Has a class action lawsuit been suggested yet?

Any time I've had missed recordings it's never been Tivo's "fault", last minute scheduling changes. Once Comcrap (previously TWC in Houston) toasted my entire line-up for over a week because they jumped the gun on a line-up change, by the time the corrected it, it was time for the change to kick in.

It took me no less then 5 appointments from techs to get a cable card working. I heard every lie from "I wasn't told to bring a card" to "I came by and no body was home" (good trick for pretty much housebound me.)

I finally got a manager who really wanted it to work. He stayed there for 2.5 hours until we were sure all the channels and permissions were correct.

EVERY time I've gotten the unauthorized channel screen. CC/Comcast issue, not Tivo.

I honestly thinkthat often times, average users blame Tivo because they don't know better.

I also know that just like there are "thousands" of complaints here on a Tivo forum, there are complaints on the provider's forums about their products too.
Old 05-30-2013, 08:20 PM   #99
jcondon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigg View Post
The Premiere has a LOT of work that needs to be done on it's software, however, it's the best thing out there right now.
I also agree with this. There are some issues with the Premiere for sure. Some of which should have been fixed years ago.

I like it better then the SA8300HD Cablevision uses (they now have a Samsung box I have not used I think).

I do like the Verizon MDVR enough though were if it weren't for the fees I could live with that box if my Tivo were to die. But the Tivo I think is better overall.
Old 05-31-2013, 06:51 PM   #100
Bigg

Quote:
Not with the products they have now and not when 90% of the people that DVRs only want a glorified VCR they can get delivered and installed for free with a simple phone call.

And that in a nutshell is why TiVos business plan will never work.
Except that they are doing deals with a lot of small cable operators. That's where they are getting a lot of subs from now.

Quote:
DirecTV seems to be giving you a hell of a deal there.
There's no deal on DirecTV. They charge monthly fees up the wazoo, have long contracts where cable doesn't, and their service is just more expensive in the first place. They offer a premium service compared to cable, and they charge accordingly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcondon View Post
I have had 2 or 3 truck rolls with Cablevision for a self install CC.

I have had 0 truck rolls with Fios for a self install CC.

There really should be no reason for a truck roll if the system works properly. Big IF with some of the cable companies.
Comcast seems to support CC very well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcondon View Post
I also agree with this. There are some issues with the Premiere for sure. Some of which should have been fixed years ago.

I like it better then the SA8300HD Cablevision uses (they now have a Samsung box I have not used I think).

I do like the Verizon MDVR enough though were if it weren't for the fees I could live with that box if my Tivo were to die. But the Tivo I think is better overall.
The problem I have is that it's like a half-finished product. There's slow menus, SD menus all over the place, it hasn't kept pace with handling duplicate SD/HD channels, and the list goes on. They have the best product out there, but it still seems like a beta, after what 14 years?

TiVo has kept cable palatable for me, and saved me a lot of money in the process. DirecTV is big bucks compared to Comcast, so even with some money sunk into the TiVo hardware, I'm saving a lot.
Old 05-31-2013, 07:19 PM   #101
jcondon

Quote:
The problem I have is that it's like a half-finished product. There's slow menus, SD menus all over the place, it hasn't kept pace with handling duplicate SD/HD channels, and the list goes on. They have the best product out there, but it still seems like a beta, after what 14 years?
I agree everything you said above.
Old 06-01-2013, 09:41 AM   #102
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

Quote:
it hasn't kept pace with handling duplicate SD/HD channels
I have no idea what you're talking about here. Remove the dupe SD channels from the guide and you'll have no issues with wish lists because there are no dupes.
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 10:20 AM   #103
aaronwt
HD Addict

If I select a channel that is the channel I want to be viewing. I don't need a box overriding the decision I made.

Sent from my HTC ReZound using Forum Runner
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 11:31 AM   #104
Sevenfeet
Gentle Giant

The irony to all this cablecard business is that modern cableboxes from the Cablecos all have them. They aren't supposed to be user serviceable, but they are in there. So you'd think that the cablecos would be better about programming them these days, but every time I've needed to fool with the cablecards for a programming change, I've needed a truck pull since Comcast always gets it wrong.

I'm in a position I was hoping to head off. I have two Series 3 HD Tivos circa 2007. Only recently have I been having hard drive problems, specifically with the one in my home theater. The external hard drive failed a month ago and I replaced it with another 1 TB WD drive that I happened to have around. But last night, the Tivo froze and won't get past the "Powering Up" screen which means the internal drive has probably had it.

I've been at Tivo since July 1999...nearly 14 years now. I began with the Series 1, did Series 1 DirecTV for a while and finally jumped on the Series 3 in 2007. I skipped over the Series 2 and was looking to do the same with Series 4 but I'm debating about whether to just bite the bullet and get a XL4 or repair the current one and wait for the next series (assuming Tivo makes it that far). I also know that Comcast will be launching their "cloud based" DVR system in July in my market (Nashville) which I've been told will be great, but we've heard those promises before.
Old 06-01-2013, 11:41 AM   #105
HerronScott

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevenfeet View Post
I'm in a position I was hoping to head off. I have two Series 3 HD Tivos circa 2007. Only recently have I been having hard drive problems, specifically with the one in my home theater. The external hard drive failed a month ago and I replaced it with another 1 TB WD drive that I happened to have around. But last night, the Tivo froze and won't get past the "Powering Up" screen which means the internal drive has probably had it.
Check the power supply capacitors. Both of my S3 OLED from Jan/Feb 2007 had bad capacitors in the last year. I replaced the capacitors in the one that totally died and just waiting for downtime to replace the bad ones in the other TiVo

Scott
HerronScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 12:00 PM   #106
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

Quote:
Originally Posted by nooneuknow View Post
Cox is now claiming that the ruling ONLY applies to equipment manufactured after the ruling.

So, guess what they're doing in my area: They're taking their old boxes, "refurbishing" them, and using those instead. If you have a box with a cablecard in it, and they come out on a service call, they take it back, and give you one with the old integrated way of doing things.

They then "refurbish" the cablecards that were in their cablecarded boxes, and give those cards to customers that don't use their equipment.

If it your TiVo doesn't work with the cablecard provided, they blame anything BUT the cablecard, and say "We don't support TiVo or other 3rd party equipment".

They used to give Cisco/SA PKM800 cards ONLY to their TiVo & 3rd-party cablecard customers. The only place you'd EVER see a PKM802 cablecard was if you peeked inside their own equipment.

Now, if you request six cablecards, you'll get handed a mix of both PKM800 and PKM802 cards.

If you specifically ask for a cablecarded box that is one of theirs, they'll say "those are very hard to come by, sorry".
This does not sound right, Cox is slowly transitioning to all new STB/DVRs that will support the Trio IPG and MPEG-4 (H.264) video. Cox is headed toward an all Cisco platform for thier STBs, DVRs and Cisco G8 Gateway, Cox is all Tru2Way compatible, so they will be using all Cisco equipment in the home and Motorola markets will be using Motorola CableCARD in the Cisco equipment.

At least that is the current plan, Cox has a habit of starting and abandoning plans though.

Cisco has already announced End-of-Life and End-of-Sale Notices for the PKM800 and PKM802 CableCARDS
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/...ices_list.html

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by CoxInPHX : 06-01-2013 at 12:05 PM.
CoxInPHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 05:25 PM   #107
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoxInPHX View Post
This does not sound right, Cox is slowly transitioning to all new STB/DVRs that will support the Trio IPG and MPEG-4 (H.264) video. Cox is headed toward an all Cisco platform for thier STBs, DVRs and Cisco G8 Gateway, Cox is all Tru2Way compatible, so they will be using all Cisco equipment in the home and Motorola markets will be using Motorola CableCARD in the Cisco equipment.

At least that is the current plan, Cox has a habit of starting and abandoning plans though.

Cisco has already announced End-of-Life and End-of-Sale Notices for the PKM800 and PKM802 CableCARDS
It makes sense, if you factor in all the extra revenue they can generate by offering a better solution, that includes a contract, and THEIR newest equipment.

They advertise on TV that the competitors all require contracts for their best services, and they don't. Then, they send out mailings that promote their better solutions, IF you sign up with a contract. THEN, you get THEIR newest equipment, and they have a chance to rid another household from using TiVo, since it's cost-prohibitive for the customer to rent cablecards (plus all the "Advanced TV" fees) for all the TiVos, and then stack another box (theirs) on top of each TiVo, along with all the extra costs and the contract, which has penalties for breaking it. The "Advanced TV Plus" package is only available for THEIR equipment, as well.

While the renegade "Cos Las Vegas" franchise may be back in the main fold, this market doesn't offer Tuning Adapters, and if you want the services that require SDV, it's either their equipment with a contract, or live without it.

Apparently, they still are doing things their own way, and feel they've found enough loopholes in the regs to get away with it. I doubt that they have many TiVo and other 3rd-party equipment users left (too may bailed before the FCC took action, which they still chose to mostly ignore, and just paid the meager fines), and are betting on eliminating them to the point of there being too few left to complain that any regulatory agency will take notice or action.

They have kick-ass internet service, and speed, above and beyond many other Cox markets, which their is no true "competing" provider for. It's that very reason that it's hard to just leave Cox. There's nobody here that can provide anything better than DSL, which is through the phone company, which nobody here is happy with either (CenturyLink).
Old 06-01-2013, 05:52 PM   #108
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoxInPHX View Post
I suppose I should following the link and burn-out my retinas looking for the answer to this question, but maybe you can save me the eye-strain...

What's next then, once the PKM800/802 cards are discontinued? Are we stuck with eternally "refurbished" discontinued cards, or is there something better, or newer, that will fit in a cablecard slot, in the future?

I've heard of people *allegedly* buying their own cablecards, but I'm very certain Cox, in my market, would NEVER authorize them.

Can I demand something other than a PKM800/802 from Cox on any legal grounds, or ruling? I don't like the ominously negative feeling I get for the future of current TiVo owners, in markets like mine. I also feel that 98% of my TiVo ownership woes are really due to Cox, not TiVo, and that at least 75% of that could be due to something about the Cisco/SA cablecards.

I also agree with the part I didn't quote, regarding Cox announcing things, only to un-announce them, or come to agreements, only to never adhere to them. The one about Cox and TiVo partnering to provide on-demand services, which TiVo still has in their press-release archive, is a sore spot. I was on the short-list to test that here (by Cox), then was told TiVo backed-out, then was told by TiVo that Cox backed-out.

There has never been any *official* press-release stating what happened with that, which I am aware of...
Old 06-01-2013, 06:14 PM   #109
atmuscarella

Quote:
I suppose I should following the link and burn-out my retinas looking for the answer to this question, but maybe you can save me the eye-strain...

What's next then, once the PKM800/802 cards are discontinued? Are we stuck with eternally "refurbished" discontinued cards, or is there something better, or newer, that will fit in a cablecard slot, in the future?
It appears Cisco's latest/current cable card is the PKM 908 which can support 8 tuners/streams: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/...eets_list.html

My guess is there is nothing wrong with the existing ones until they fail so I would bet they will be around for a long time.
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
atmuscarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 07:10 PM   #110
Bigg

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post
I have no idea what you're talking about here. Remove the dupe SD channels from the guide and you'll have no issues with wish lists because there are no dupes.
It's the one and only thing MCE does better. It's intelligent about SD/HD and duplicate channels (I get PBS from Hartford and Boston that often have the same programming but sometimes its different).
Old 06-01-2013, 09:45 PM   #111
LowThudd

As a TWC customer for many years, all of the HD DVRs I have had from them were either very buggy, or failed in less than a year or two. Which is annoying when you have several favorite movies on the drive and they have no way to transfer them. I did have trouble getting my new TiVo Premiere up and running. The first tech listed it as a Cisco card, when it was in fact a Motorola. Finally I got a direct number for TWC that specifically deals with ONLY CableCard issues. She got me fixed up and working in under a half hour. Very proficient. 866 532 2598 is the number. Although the tivo has it's own set of issues, they are so far far less frustrating than the issues I get with a TWC HD DVR.
LowThudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 09:01 AM   #112
dlfl
Cranky old novice

That TWC national cable card support number has been around for a long time. Just out of curiosity I searched the forum on "2598" and came up with hundreds of hits -- the oldest one was August 2008 ! Unfortunately there is no easy way for someone that needs it to know about it, so people keep "discovering" it over and over. Of course TWC support reps should know about that number but in my experience they generally don't, or at least they don't bother to use it or mention it to TiVo customers.

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try

pyTivo users: Try
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 09:13 AM   #113
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

Quote:
It's the one and only thing MCE does better. It's intelligent about SD/HD and duplicate channels (I get PBS from Hartford and Boston that often have the same programming but sometimes its different).
It's really not a big deal to setup separate SPs for both PBS stations. I have the same thing here in the ATL and have dupe SPs for a variety of shows on both stations, but they're both HD. I have all the SD dupe stations removed from the guide so I could actually just make ARWLs instead of separate SPs if I wanted.

You can do the same, so even though WMC has the 'HD preferred' option for its series there is no point to it in my setup because there are no SD dupes. Everything I record is in HD. And if you really wanted some offbeat shows on an SD PBS sub-station (we have a couple here), just create SPs for those separately.

I know what you're saying but it's such a minor difference and is easily worked around.
Old 06-02-2013, 12:26 PM   #114
Bigg

Quote:
It's really not a big deal to setup separate SPs for both PBS stations. I have the same thing here in the ATL and have dupe SPs for a variety of shows on both stations, but they're both HD. I have all the SD dupe stations removed from the guide so I could actually just make ARWLs instead of separate SPs if I wanted.

You can do the same, so even though WMC has the 'HD preferred' option for its series there is no point to it in my setup because there are no SD dupes. Everything I record is in HD. And if you really wanted some offbeat shows on an SD PBS sub-station (we have a couple here), just create SPs for those separately.

I know what you're saying but it's such a minor difference and is easily worked around.
Yes, you can work around it. However, TiVo is a premium product, and you shouldn't have to work around things.
Old 06-02-2013, 02:06 PM   #115
Sevenfeet
Gentle Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerronScott View Post
Check the power supply capacitors. Both of my S3 OLED from Jan/Feb 2007 had bad capacitors in the last year. I replaced the capacitors in the one that totally died and just waiting for downtime to replace the bad ones in the other TiVo

Scott
That's a good point...I'd read something about capacitors failing. I'll have to check that when I come back from my business trip this week. Thanks.
Old 06-03-2013, 06:19 AM   #116
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

Quote:
Yes, you can work around it. However, TiVo is a premium product, and you shouldn't have to work around things.
LOL dream on pal, no DVR is perfect no matter how 'premium' you think it is.
Old 06-03-2013, 05:33 PM   #117
Bigg

Quote:
LOL dream on pal, no DVR is perfect no matter how 'premium' you think it is.
It's what TiVo and all the others should be striving for. We see it in smartphones, yet we don't see it on DVRs.
Old 06-03-2013, 06:02 PM   #118
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
It's what TiVo and all the others should be striving for. We see it in smartphones, yet we don't see it on DVRs.
TiVos are not defective in design, you're just not holding them properly.

Just kidding, couldn't help myself.

Last edited by nooneuknow : 06-03-2013 at 06:28 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 06-03-2013, 06:37 PM   #119
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
No Smartphone is anywhere close to perfect either.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 04:50 PM   #120
Bigg

Quote:
TiVos are not defective in design, you're just not holding them properly.

Just kidding, couldn't help myself.
Except that was an issue you could only reproduce in the lab when you took the case off. In the real world, the case would be on, so the issue would be impossible to re-create.