TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-01-2013, 05:29 AM   #1
Dan203
Super Moderator

Stuck on C&DE?

So I bought a use HD for my Mom. I plugged it it and it booted up fine. However there were recordings in Now Playing so I figured I'd just do a C&DE just to start it over from scratch. However I started that process 2 hours ago and it'a still on that screen. Anything I can do? I plan on leaving it going over night, but at this point I don't have high hopes. So I'm hoping one of you might have a suggestion for me to try in the morning.

Before plugging it in I opened it up to clean out the dust and I checked the capacitors on the power supply. None of them looked even slightly bulged.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 08:18 AM   #2
ggieseke

How big is the drive?
ggieseke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 09:01 AM   #3
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Dan, I hope either:
1) You live very close to your mother
-- OR --
2) She's in one of those lucky cable systems where TiVo's don't require continual TLC, i.e., no Tuning Adapter and not Time Warner.

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
dlfl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 07:56 PM   #4
Bwatford141

I also bought an HD for my mother a couple of weeks ago. It took about 4-6 hours for clear & delete to finish.
Bwatford141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 01:51 PM   #5
lillevig
Hot in West Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
So I bought a use HD for my Mom. I plugged it it and it booted up fine. However there were recordings in Now Playing so I figured I'd just do a C&DE just to start it over from scratch. However I started that process 2 hours ago and it'a still on that screen. Anything I can do? I plan on leaving it going over night, but at this point I don't have high hopes. So I'm hoping one of you might have a suggestion for me to try in the morning.

Before plugging it in I opened it up to clean out the dust and I checked the capacitors on the power supply. None of them looked even slightly bulged.
If it never comes out of that, then a clean re-image should get you to the same place. In fact, I kind of prefer that route with a newly acquired box after I've verified basic operation. Takes less time than a C&DE for one thing.
Old 06-04-2013, 01:26 AM   #6
Dan203
Super Moderator

Sorry forgot to report back. By morning it was fine. So apparently the "will take about an hour" message they put up is total crap.

My Mom lives down the street. I'm planning on going over there sometime this week to help her activate the CableCARD. I've done a bunch of them myself and for the most part they're smooth. Although I setup a couple for my sister and it was kind of a PITA. (had to send a tech, who then made a phone call and had them working in 2 minutes )
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote