TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-30-2013, 07:58 AM   #1
TonyTheTiger
Pro Troll Magnet

Deadliest Catch - OAD 5/28/2013

Well, it seems that no-one has started a new thread yet, so here goes...

I'm really surprised that Edgar didn't fire Jake as soon as he set foot on land! I can understand Sig not taking action because he wasn't the captain when the incident occurred, but Edgar HAD to fire Jake, so I was shocked when he was even offered the choice of coming back.

I SO wanted Elliot to fail. He and Junior should make interesting viewing at the end-of-season get-together with Mike Rowe!
Old 05-30-2013, 08:56 AM   #2
JFriday
"Just The Facts"

I think that meeting was for a TV moment, nothing more. Damn Jake has aged since the show started.
JFriday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 10:51 AM   #3
pmyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFriday View Post
I think that meeting was for a TV moment, nothing more. Damn Jake has aged since the show started.
Agree with points.
pmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 09:23 PM   #4
Gene S

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFriday View Post
I wonder if that's when they all got paid. They all had an envelope with them , and Jake took one when he sat down at the table, and left with it.
Gene S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 10:03 AM   #5
pmyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene S View Post
I wonder if that's when they all got paid. They all had an envelope with them , and Jake took one when he sat down at the table, and left with it.
I doubt it. I would assume they would get paid before they leave the boat. I highly doubt they even all live anywhere near each other to have a meeting like that. I agree the entire meeting was staged after the fact....probably months after.
Old 05-31-2013, 01:34 PM   #6
JFriday
"Just The Facts"

On one of the boats I forget which the Captain said he'll be happy when he's home and his check arrives.
JFriday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 02:02 PM   #7
jeff92k7

Yeah, they would have to get paid well after they leave the boat. They said on a recent episode that the crab are worthless until they're completely offloaded, so the boat won't get a check from the fishery until all the crab are delivered. Then, the boat owners would have to pay expenses (including salaries), so payday for the crew will not happen until all that occurs. It could easily be weeks before getting paid depending on how slowly the money trickles down and how responsible the boat owners are.
jeff92k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 02:57 PM   #8
pmyers

I'll post on the CM facebook page and hope for an answer but I highly doubt anybody leaves Alaska without getting paid (or at least a chunk). I remember past episodes where greenhorns didn't even have money for a plane ticket home which tells me they were banking on a paycheck.
Old 06-01-2013, 01:24 AM   #9
Worf

Well, the fishery may pay NET30. However, remember they do offload in the middle of the season so there's some money coming in during the season. It's just the rest of the pay off the final offload comes afterwards.
Worf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 10:31 AM   #10
GoPackGo

I'm certain the meeting we saw was all of the guys gathered to get their pay. The boat pays the crew, then later the sorting factory pays the boat's owner.
GoPackGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 02:39 AM   #11
Worf

Man, what's with the spoilers in next week's show? Just look at the episode description....
Old 06-02-2013, 11:59 AM   #12
billboard_NE
North Shore MA

I am going to miss Jake crying, seems like he cries every episode he is in.

Also I wish Eliot would tell us who owns the boat he is piloting.....
billboard_NE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 03:13 PM   #13
Kablemodem
Get the ketchup.

I think
Spoiler:
Eliot
owns the boat he is piloting.
Old 06-02-2013, 03:31 PM   #14
Ment

Quote:
Originally Posted by billboard_NE View Post
I am going to miss Jake crying, seems like he cries every episode he is in.

Also I wish Eliot would tell us who owns the boat he is piloting.....
He owns the boat or at least owns part of it. How he got financing for it I'll never know. If I had money to invest I wouldn't give it to him.
Ment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 06:47 AM   #15
RickyL
valar morghulis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ment View Post
He owns the boat or at least owns part of it. How he got financing for it I'll never know. If I had money to invest I wouldn't give it to him.
I'm betting he agreed to sign over his payment from Discovery. Maybe that was enough for the bank to take the chance.

"If You chose not to decide, you still have made a choice" Rush, Freewill
RickyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 06:48 AM   #16
billboard_NE
North Shore MA

I joke, Eliot mentions every 15 seconds that he owns the boat.

After the disaster of his last season I do not know how he could afford to pay for the trip, never mind buy a boat. Discovery must be involved one way or another.
billboard_NE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 09:29 AM   #17
pmyers

I got the impression it was Daddy that helped finance the boat and that's why he was on the boat, to keep and eye on his investment.
Old 06-04-2013, 11:19 AM   #18
TonyTheTiger
Pro Troll Magnet

I'm sure Daddy helped, but with a repayment of a quarter mil a year, I'm sure it took a little more than that!

It's pretty certain that the paycheck from Discovery would feature in the negotiations to borrow the money to buy and furnish the boat.
Old 06-05-2013, 12:29 AM   #19
Worf

Yeah, but the Discovery paycheque isn't reliable - Discovery could very well decide that this season is the last because of flagging ratings and cancel it. Or next season. Or maybe some disaster happens that forces a reconsideration and the whole show gets cancelled in a week.

It's great to supplement the income, but I don't think the banks will easily finance based on that - after all, it may be a popular show, but audiences are fickle and this year's hit can be next year's has-been. Or some disaster happens that cancels the show and the rest of the season. If that money dries up, and it formed a good reason for the loan, the bank will get very nervous. It was just like how the Harris boys were claiming they loved TV and its money - if you're running the CM, the TV can turn off at any time and then what?

As for Edgar not firing Jake? Apparently he needed a full crew still (and he was only 2 days out - so it's not like those 2 days will be meaningful).

Edit: I just noticed that the Northwestern has a Linksys wireless router onboard - what's that about? They got marine Internet or something?
Old 06-05-2013, 06:24 AM   #20
TonyTheTiger
Pro Troll Magnet

...and crab fishing IS reliable?????

I would think money from a TV show is more reliable than fishing. The contract will at least cover a season and the money is guaranteed for that period, whether the show is cancelled or not.

Banks are generally not stupid, especially when dealing with things like this. I'm sure the same kind of risk assessors determine the loans as work with farmers and other high-yield, high-risk investments, and I'm sure the interest rates reflect the risk, too!

All this, of course, is pure speculation. Without going through the process, no-one can really know what's involved.
Old 06-06-2013, 12:41 AM   #21
Worf

It's seasonal work, which while not reliable, still has been around.

Banks like history - they can use it to determine risk. If you've been a captain for 35 years doing crab fishing all that time, they can look back and see how well you've done and extrapolate from that. Just like banks do now with regular loans - they look at your employment history and determine how the loan will affect your finances.

In addition, they have collateral - the boat.

The TV contract is only for a season - and unless the loan is short term, will most likely not make an ounce of difference - who cares that you have extra income this year when the loan is over 10 years?

Someone like Elliot who has little history is basically getting a loan for what the bank thinks the boat is worth. The TV contract may come into play to allow the bank to loan them some more startup money with the expectation that it's to be repaid quickly (within a couple of years).

Crab fishing is unreliable, but obviously enough people make a profit at it that it's steady work. And yes, during lean times, stress is very high - though the bank normally will allow some leeway (they'd rather get the money back as cash even though it takes longer, than to have to foreclose and sell the boat which may only bring in pennies on the dollar).

Even if you have a standard salaried job in the CONUS is no guarantee - you can buy a nice house on a mortgage with the bank assuming you'd continue at your job. Of course, everyone knows you can be laid off tomorrow or decide to change jobs, or whatever. So the bank looks at your history (usually summarized in your credit history) and uses it to figure out how good you are on the loan.

And sometimes banks lose out. Like say during the 2008 financial crisis where foreclosures reached records and they were getting back houses worth far less than the amount owed.