TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-02-2013, 08:57 AM   #451
chiguy50

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiguy50 View Post
fwiw, I signed up both my Premiere and Premiere Elite for the priority update on May 16, and neither one has received the update yet.

I choose to take this as a "positive" sign that TiVo recognizes the update needs more work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoxInPHX View Post
Just an observation: It seems there are a significant number of regulars who are not posting in this thread.

Could it be they are still in the Field Trials Beta group, If that is the case I would expect to see another update to the priority list within 2 weeks, 20.3.1.1 maybe???
Still no updates on my end, and that's a record time-lag for me on a priority update.
chiguy50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 09:23 AM   #452
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

Quote:
Just an observation: It seems there are a significant number of regulars who are not posting in this thread.
I've got two more bugs that were not fixed that you can add to the OP:

- stop and delete a current recording in an ARWL with one recording does not actually delete the group (even though the prompt says it will), you still have to delete it separately.

- while watching a current recording, if you go into the guide and try to schedule a new recording with options or modify any other scheduled recording (changing pad times etc. in the options screen), when you get done you're kicked out of the recording and back into live TV for that channel. This also happens when watching completed recordings but you get sent to the last active channel.

Both of these bugs have been in the HDUI for a while now and should have been fixed long ago. The second one in particular can cause a lot of pain if you're watching sports delayed because you'll get thrown into live TV (possibly spoiling the result) when done. Both of them are easy to work around but are stupid and needless bugs that indicate a lack of thorough testing.

Last edited by slowbiscuit : 06-02-2013 at 01:01 PM.
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 01:59 PM   #453
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WO312 View Post
434 posts?? Give me a break.
A quick search would have saved him "all the work".....sheesh....
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 02:01 PM   #454
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
Originally Posted by moose53 View Post
I was more interested in making people aware of problems I've been having since the update ... rebooting 4 to 6 times a day is more than an "inconvenience".

I'm certainly not gonna take the time to read pages and pages of info that don't anything to do with me.

AND, I'm certainly not going to be as rude as you've been posting a response that helped in no way at all. If you can't contribute, don't bother posting at all, please.
No thanks....if you want info, spend time searching and reading for it. Don't be so freakin' lazy...
Old 06-02-2013, 02:14 PM   #455
JoeKustra
Cable only

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bierboy View Post
A quick search would have saved him "all the work".....sheesh....
her
JoeKustra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 02:16 PM   #456
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post
- while watching a current recording, if you go into the guide and try to schedule a new recording with options or modify any other scheduled recording (changing pad times etc. in the options screen), when you get done you're kicked out of the recording and back into live TV for that channel. This also happens when watching completed recordings but you get sent to the last active channel.
Not seeing and never have seen this problem. This is on a 2-tuner Premiere.

Edit: The only time I see anything similar to this is if I am streaming something from another Premiere. In that case, as soon as I select a program from the guide, I am "thrown to" live TV on the local TiVo with whatever is on the active tuner on the local TiVo appearing in the video window.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"

Last edited by lpwcomp : 06-02-2013 at 02:40 PM.
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 02:21 PM   #457
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:

Could it be they are still in the Field Trials Beta group, If that is the case I would expect to see another update to the priority list within 2 weeks, 20.3.1.1 maybe???
One the first part: I've noticed that too. I chalked it up to maybe these "regulars" have either given up on this forum, or are engaged in reporting the issues by a means they feel will yield better results (like spending the time talking to TiVo, rather than posting here).

On the second part: That sounds like a reasonable theory.

Imagine this hypothetical situation: Suppose you were a former member of a Beta test, or Field Trial, team, consisting of a whopping ten people. Suppose you were directed to ONLY test/try at most five issues (with the focus on ONLY one issue). Suppose you find a new problem, which makes all your TiVos virtually unusable, and report it, but are largely ignored, until you get very assertive. Suppose that you are then told that you are part of a multi-group testing system, but can't share data between them, and are told that others aren't reporting it. Suppose you are told that the problem was reproduced by a TiVo employee (thus saving you having to ship one or more of your own units in for analysis). Then, suppose you hear that upper management wants the updated rolled, on a deadline, regardless. Then suppose you are told, after being more assertive, that the problem only affects a small number, compared to the whole. Then suppose you see the update roll, introducing an issue that is never fully resolved. Now, how do you suppose you'd feel about ever participating again?

Last edited by nooneuknow : 06-02-2013 at 02:26 PM.
nooneuknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 02:24 PM   #458
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkev View Post
My thoughts are that testing is failing at TiVo. After the update, most of the bugs everyone is reporting were discovered very quickly. I discovered most of these bugs within an hour of getting the update. The first one I discovered was the antenna signal not working. Considering how quickly the bugs were discovered by most of us, I'm questioning how much testing is done at TiVo before they release a new version? What do they do? Just boot it up and if they see a show on LiveTV that means it all works? They should be going through each and every single menu option and trying out every feature. They can't be doing this since bugs are often released with the updates. It's sloppy in my opinion and should not be happening. Very disappointed.
See the post I contributed right before this one, in reply to CoxInPHX. Check out the "hypothetical" situation I spoke of at the end of that post.
Old 06-02-2013, 03:17 PM   #459
lpwcomp

IMHO, the problem with the theory that they are ignoring problems encountered during beta test is that most of the problems with releases over the last few years should have been caught during unit or integration testing. Some of them, such as the DST problem ,where the time was displayed differently on different screens, should never have occurred at all in a properly designed system.

My personal theory is that they have "off shored" a lot of the s/w development. You get what you pay for.

Old 06-02-2013, 03:37 PM   #460
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
IMHO, the problem with the theory that they are ignoring problems encountered during beta test is that most of the problems with releases over the last few years should have been caught during unit or integration testing. Some of them, such as the DST problem ,where the time was displayed differently on different screens, should never have occurred at all in a properly designed system.

My personal theory is that they have "off shored" a lot of the s/w development. You get what you pay for.
Agreed.
Old 06-02-2013, 04:52 PM   #461
JoeKustra
Cable only

Double agreed.

Sometimes I feel all coding and testing is done in a far off vacuum. That's not unique to TiVo, but they should be better than that by now.
JoeKustra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 06:29 AM   #462
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

Quote:
Not seeing and never have seen this problem. This is on a 2-tuner Premiere.

Edit: The only time I see anything similar to this is if I am streaming something from another Premiere. In that case, as soon as I select a program from the guide, I am "thrown to" live TV on the local TiVo with whatever is on the active tuner on the local TiVo appearing in the video window.
You have to bring up the guide while in playback, then either schedule or modify a recording AND go into the options screen for it (from the guide). If you just schedule a recording with no options and don't leave the guide you won't see it - you have to leave the recording you're watching by selecting other options, in other words, to go set padding and other stuff. Then when you hit left arrow to exit the options screen, you're in the guide again BUT with live TV instead of the recording you're watching.

This happens every single time for me, if you do it as I said I can't see how you'd not see this. Nasty bug for sports watchers.
Old 06-03-2013, 06:56 AM   #463
lpwcomp

Quote:
You have to bring up the guide while in playback, then either schedule or modify a recording AND go into the options screen for it (from the guide). If you just schedule a recording with no options and don't leave the guide you won't see it - you have to leave the recording you're watching by selecting other options, in other words, to go set padding and other stuff. Then when you hit left arrow to exit the options screen, you're in the guide again BUT with live TV instead of the recording you're watching.

This happens every single time for me, if you do it as I said I can't see how you'd not see this. Nasty bug for sports watchers.
I was able to duplicate the behavior you describe - if I turned off the video window. If I leave it on as I usually do, no problem.

Old 06-03-2013, 07:37 AM   #464
cherry ghost

Quote:

I can also duplicate it, but have never noticed before because I always exit the options screen by pressing the TiVo button rather than the left arrow.
cherry ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 07:46 AM   #465
cherry ghost

I slight fix I've noticed that was broken in a prior update is when selecting a different airing of a show to record from "Upcoming" once again automatically adds in any padding you had set in the original recording when you go to the "Recording Options" screen.
cherry ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 10:49 AM   #466
Balzer

Note

Quote:
Originally Posted by crxssi View Post
I think a significant number of people are just not having any issues.
(bell ringing)... Good answer. I haven't haven't had any issues with the update. Everything working as it was before the update.

Although I did have one fix I noticed. Previous to this update, I would occasionally get a failure error when trying to stream from my wireless Premiere "Bravo" to my wired Premiere "Alpha", and the Alpha would stop responding to all remote imputs. The light would flash on the Tivo when I pressed a button, but nothing would happen, and I would have to pull the plug and reboot.

Since the update, I still get the error occasionally about not being able to stream from Bravo to Alpha, which I attribute to the flaky wireless connection. However, I no longer have to reboot the Alpha to get it to respond to the remote inputs.

As a side note, I never have an error when trying to stream from the Alpha to the Bravo.

EDIT: Oh yea, I forgot I do have the antenna signal problem, so I did notice that bug with the update.

Roamio/Stream (Sep '13 - Present)
Premiere "B" (July '12 - Oct '13)
Premiere "A" (August '11 - Present)
TiVo HD (July '07 - July '12)
TiVo S1 (August '01 - July '07)

Last edited by Balzer : 06-03-2013 at 10:53 AM. Reason: Added note about antenna signal bug.
Balzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 11:16 AM   #467
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

Quote:
I was able to duplicate the behavior you describe - if I turned off the video window. If I leave it on as I usually do, no problem.
Must be it, I leave the video window off all the time. Funny bug.
Old 06-03-2013, 11:43 AM   #468
blackngold75

In general, 20.3.1 on my Premiere XL has resulted in slower performance from the HDUI. When hitting the TiVo button, I now notice the occasional black screen (except for the video window) for a couple of seconds and then the content fills in. Everything with that TiVo was actually going pretty well, then 20.3.1 came along...
blackngold75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 12:44 PM   #469
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

One issue that I HAVE experienced since the update is with the iOS app....ever since this update, the TiVo iOS app (latest version) now fails to connect to my Premiere when I try to access "My Shows" or the TDL. I am able to see the program guide, but when I try the TDL and My Shows, I get "Your To Do List (My Shows list) could not be found because your TiVo box Premiere does not appear to be connected to the Internet. Please fix your connection, or try again later". This is only outside my home network; within the home network it works fine.

What makes me think this is the update's fault is that I CAN access the NPL and TDL on my other TiVo (an HD) through the app, so I know I have Internet connectivity (both outside and inside my home network). I have re-installed the app to no avail. This is VERY frustrating since I depend a lot on my app to record shows last minute.
Old 06-03-2013, 01:06 PM   #470
UCLABB

Quote:
One issue that I HAVE experienced since the update is with the iOS app....ever since this update, the TiVo iOS app (latest version) now fails to connect to my Premiere when I try to access "My Shows" or the TDL. I am able to see the program guide, but when I try the TDL and My Shows, I get "Your To Do List (My Shows list) could not be found because your TiVo box Premiere does not appear to be connected to the Internet. Please fix your connection, or try again later". This is only outside my home network; within the home network it works fine.

What makes me think this is the update's fault is that I CAN access the NPL and TDL on my other TiVo (an HD) through the app, so I know I have Internet connectivity (both outside and inside my home network). I have re-installed the app to no avail. This is VERY frustrating since I depend a lot on my app to record shows last minute.
Scratching my head. I didn't think the TiVo app works outside the home wifi network and one had to use the TiVo website to access one's TiVos. Am I missing something here?
UCLABB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 01:17 PM   #471
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balzer View Post
Although I did have one fix I noticed. Previous to this update, I would occasionally get a failure error when trying to stream from my wireless Premiere "Bravo" to my wired Premiere "Alpha", and the Alpha would stop responding to all remote imputs. The light would flash on the Tivo when I pressed a button, but nothing would happen, and I would have to pull the plug and reboot.
IF you should happen to experience loss of control over any of your units again, please try just unplugging your cable coax first, for a minute or less (then the antenna coax, if you use it, and the former fails). It usually only takes seconds to regain full control of the unit, if it works). It'll reduce any time lost from recordings in progress, or that are about to record, and/or the buffer (while reducing the slim, but possible, scenario of corrupting the drive, or any portions of the drive, which could leave you stuck in the endless GSOD reboot loop, as the unit tries and fails to repair/reboot itself, to infinity).

Please report back on your findings, should this happen again. I know it sounds unlikely that this would work under some circumstances, but I haven't had to pull power since I started using this method.
Old 06-03-2013, 01:33 PM   #472
Balzer

Note

Quote:
Originally Posted by nooneuknow View Post
IF you should happen to experience loss of control over any of your units again, please try just unplugging your cable coax first, for a minute or less (then the antenna coax, if you use it, and the former fails). It usually only takes seconds to regain full control of the unit, if it works). It'll reduce any time lost from recordings in progress, or that are about to record, and/or the buffer (while reducing the slim, but possible, scenario of corrupting the drive, or any portions of the drive, which could leave you stuck in the endless GSOD reboot loop, as the unit tries and fails to repair/reboot itself, to infinity).

Please report back on your findings, should this happen again. I know it sounds unlikely that this would work under some circumstances, but I haven't had to pull power since I started using this method.
I'll give this a try if it happens again, although it hasn't happened since the update. And I don't have cable, just antenna.
Thanks.

Roamio/Stream (Sep '13 - Present)
Premiere "B" (July '12 - Oct '13)
Premiere "A" (August '11 - Present)
TiVo HD (July '07 - July '12)
TiVo S1 (August '01 - July '07)
Balzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 01:39 PM   #473
compnurd

Quote:
Originally Posted by UCLABB View Post
Scratching my head. I didn't think the TiVo app works outside the home wifi network and one had to use the TiVo website to access one's TiVos. Am I missing something here?
it does with limited features
compnurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 02:17 PM   #474
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
Originally Posted by compnurd View Post
it does with limited features
Not very limited with the Premieres (more so with the HD). With the Premieres you can access your NPL, My Shows, schedule recordings, create/delete SPs, deleted recorded shows, see your program guide....that is, until recently. It's very aggravating to have had those features, and now they're inaccessible outside your home network. What is also odd is that I can access my SP list and edit it; it's just the NPL and My Shows that are inaccessible. Although I just looked at my SP list, and the order is all out of whack...
Old 06-03-2013, 02:20 PM   #475
lpwcomp

Quote:
Must be it, I leave the video window off all the time. Funny bug.
There is a workaround. Use the "Zoom" button rather than left arrow to exit from the recording options screen.

Old 06-03-2013, 02:36 PM   #476
lpwcomp

Quote:
Not very limited with the Premieres (more so with the HD). With the Premieres you can access your NPL, My Shows, schedule recordings, create/delete SPs, deleted recorded shows, see your program guide....that is, until recently. It's very aggravating to have had those features, and now they're inaccessible outside your home network. What is also odd is that I can access my SP list and edit it; it's just the NPL and My Shows that are inaccessible. Although I just looked at my SP list, and the order is all out of whack...
Could be the update. Could also be middlemind problems. Or a combination.

One thing I just noticed about the todo lists available at tivo.com. They do not include entries created by a repeated manual recording. Definitely not update related as it is the same for my THD.

Old 06-03-2013, 06:22 PM   #477
djwilso

I just wanted to add one more anecdote to this bug from the 1st post:

Quote:
5. Reports of Audio loss or drop-outs when Dolby is selected and LiveTV trick-play functions are used, esp Skip-to-end.
I have my TiVo Premiere Elite connected to a Denon AVR-2809CI receiver using HDMI and then to my TV also via HDMI. The TiVo sound is set to Dolby Digital.

When I scan to the end of the Live TV buffer, there is always no sound. To get audio back, I have to pause for just a fraction of a second and then the sound comes back.

If I back up or go forward in the Live TV buffer without getting to the very end, there is always sound.

This began with the latest 20.3.1 update and has been pretty annoying. Luckily the workaround is very simple.
djwilso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 06:47 PM   #478
morac
Cat God

Quote:
The app uses a different mechanism for Series 3 boxes than for Series 4 boxes. Series 3 boxes connect to TiVo's servers every few hours to upload the TDL and SPL, so the list will show up even if the box is offline or even unplugged. For Series 4 boxes, the box is polled directly so it needs to be online.

If it's not working, the Premiere or the app is having problems communicating with the Mind server.

On a side note, the same is true even when on your home network. If your Internet goes down or TiVo's servers have issues, the app won't work.
morac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 07:59 PM   #479
mrizzo80

I'm continuing to have issues with exiting out of Netflix episodes. Hitting the UP button is not taking me back out to the main Netflix screen. The only way I can exit an episode is to hit the TiVo button; which dumps me all the way back out to the main TiVo screen.

I think this has only worked properly in one viewing session since the update hit. I've probably watched Netflix 5 or 6 times since then.

Anyone else?
mrizzo80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 08:05 PM   #480
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrizzo80 View Post
I'm continuing to have issues with exiting out of Netflix episodes. Hitting the UP button is not taking me back out to the main Netflix screen. The only way I can exit an episode is to hit the TiVo button; which dumps me all the way back out to the main TiVo screen.

I think this has only worked properly in one viewing session since the update hit. I've probably watched Netflix 5 or 6 times since then.

Anyone else?
I get that occasionally. What makes it annoying is sometimes when it happens for episodic shows Netfilx bookmark doesn't get set to the next episode as is normally the case.

As a tip use the "clear" button instead of "TiVo" button to exit since that takes you back to where you entered Netflix from so less remote presses to get back into Netflix again.
Cox - Motorola CableCards & TAs
Slingbox 350 via TiVo Mini & TiVo Stream for remote viewing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote