Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-28-2013, 01:23 PM   #31
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
One of the things that stuck in my head while watching was Lee talking about suing the tabloid that made the gay reference. One has to wonder how he won that. So did Ken...
The Lee character says the tabloid had no direct evidence of the truth, like pictures or any first hand testimony. Understandable, with Seymour ready to hand out checks.
Mac Mini NAS with 9 7 x 2TB drives.
UVerse and OTA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MikeAndrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 01:32 PM   #32
Idearat

Liberace playing identical twins on Batman in 1966:

Batman 49 & 50. The Devil's Fingers / The Dead Ringers
You need to upgrade your Flash Player

Idearat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 01:35 PM   #33
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

Quote:
The whole cast does a superb job; as Liberace, Michael Douglas crafts a portrait of celebrity isolation and capriciousness worthy of an Oscar nomination—if only he were eligible.

The reason he is not eligible is because Behind the Candelabra, despite competing in the 2013 Cannes Film Festival, will not be released in US theaters. And the reason you will be watching this film (which could very well be Soderbergh's last before he retires from movies and moves on to making TV shows full time) on cable television instead of at your local multiplex is because of its conspicuous gayness.

http://www.motherjones.com/mixed-med...berace-gay-sex
But we know that Michael Douglas and Matt Damon are shoo-ins for Emmys due to the guaranteed-win principle of "How brave! He uglied himself up!" and they didn't "go full retard."
UVerse and OTA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-28-2013, 01:58 PM   #34
NorthAlabama
tabasco rules

might as well weigh in, b- or c+ for me. no doubt it was from scott's perspective, but nothing salacious here - this story seems all too familiar.

damon, reynolds, bakula, aykroyd and reiser were great, lowe was creepy, and douglas did a great job, but i was never fully convinced by his performance - i kept seeing douglas, not liberace.

The truth will set you free. But not until it is finished with you. - David Foster Wallace
NorthAlabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 02:49 PM   #35
Honora

Quote:
Originally Posted by sieglinde View Post
I have know about givers and takers for years. The Old Norse thought it was OK to be a giver but effeminate to be a taker.
The ancient Romans felt the same way.
Honora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 07:06 PM   #36
madscientist
Deregistered Snoozer

Quote:
Originally Posted by netringer View Post
The Lee character says the tabloid had no direct evidence of the truth, like pictures or any first hand testimony.
Also libel laws in the UK are extremely harsh. There have been many examples of people getting payouts there, and I was not surprised at all that he managed it. Note that he only managed a settlement with the US tabloid he sued, in the 1950's.
Old 05-28-2013, 07:17 PM   #37
danielhart
Nerp Nerp

Can't believe nobody has commented on Rob Lowe as the plastic surgeon - those facial expressions were hysterical.
danielhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 09:13 PM   #38
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielhart View Post
Can't believe nobody has commented on Rob Lowe as the plastic surgeon - those facial expressions were hysterical.
It was a headpiece that pulled his face and it was painful.

Brazil (2/10) Movie CLIP - Plastic Surgery (1985) HD
You need to upgrade your Flash Player

UVerse and OTA

Old 05-29-2013, 12:46 AM   #39
NorthAlabama
tabasco rules

Quote:
in ew, rob lowe described the role of dr. startz:

"i wanted him to be at once repellant and engaging, if that’s possible...he’s the fourth member of the bee gees: the transgendered bee gee, the lesser known one."

The truth will set you free. But not until it is finished with you. - David Foster Wallace
NorthAlabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 07:41 AM   #40
scooterboy
Wookin' Pa Nub

Quote:
Can't believe nobody has commented on Rob Lowe as the plastic surgeon
Can't believe you didn't see that 4 people already have.

Every time I'm drying off from a shower I think of my childhood buddy's father. - mcthumber
scooterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 08:24 AM   #41
mwhip
All better

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthAlabama View Post
might as well weigh in, b- or c+ for me. no doubt it was from scott's perspective, but nothing salacious here - this story seems all too familiar.

damon, reynolds, bakula, aykroyd and reiser were great, lowe was creepy, and douglas did a great job, but i was never fully convinced by his performance - i kept seeing douglas, not liberace.
Totally agree. Douglas was perfectly convincing as Lee when he was being sweet or loving but the moment he would get mad he would fall right back into those Michael Douglas crutches and mannerisms and couldn't maintain his voice when angry or upset.

I also had not sympathy for Scott. You were told you would be replaced by someone younger eventually and you were.

Gamertag - mwhip
mwhip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 10:44 AM   #42
bobcarn
Birthday Hug Monkey

I watched a little over half of it last night, and will try to catch the rest before the weekend is over. I wasn't interested in seeing it, but my beau put it on and I did find myself getting into it, mainly from the great performances.

I can see Scott being naïve and have more sympathy for him after realizing from reading here that he was only 17 when he met Lee. I too thought he was mid-20s when they met, but seeing as he was much younger, I can believe that he would be more malleable and trusting. Though my sympathy is only relegated to his agreement to undergo the plastic surgery. He had a lot of potential to rise pretty high since he was only in his early to mid 20s when they split. It's not like he wasted his whole life and was pushed out with nothing. FYI, he's currently in jail awaiting trial, and was released from prison just this past February. He could have done better for himself.

One of my favorite lines so far:
Liberace (following surgery): Will I be able to close my eyes?
Plastic surgeon: Not entirely.
Old 05-30-2013, 11:44 AM   #43
Jstkiddn
Shutity up up up

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcarn View Post
I can see Scott being naïve and have more sympathy for him after realizing from reading here that he was only 17 when he met Lee. I too thought he was mid-20s when they met, but seeing as he was much younger, I can believe that he would be more malleable and trusting. Though my sympathy is only relegated to his agreement to undergo the plastic surgery. He had a lot of potential to rise pretty high since he was only in his early to mid 20s when they split. It's not like he wasted his whole life and was pushed out with nothing. FYI, he's currently in jail awaiting trial, and was released from prison just this past February. He could have done better for himself.
Yeah, I think if they had made that part clear in the movie it would have changed some opinions. 17 is really young! In retrospect, does anyone else thing that it seems they went out of their way to make it NOT seem he was that young? Maybe it was no more than the impossibility of making Damon look that young, but I still feel like that was a pretty big piece of the story to just leave out.
Jstkiddn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 11:58 AM   #44
Tracy
Truly

When I first saw Matt Damon at the start of the movie I was impressed. I thought he looked about 18. Turns out he is over 40! They painted a pretty sympathetic picture of Scott. Looked him up and he is currently in jail.

The other thing that struck me is that apparently Liberace fans and organizations were supportive of the movie, so they must feel it is an accurate and fair portrayal.
Old 05-31-2013, 09:17 AM   #45
sieglinde

Looks like an interesting movie.
Old 05-31-2013, 10:16 AM   #46
sharkster

I'm reading Scott's book now and he says that he was 18 when he met Lee, and Lee was 57. I haven't done the research to find out his age now, and figure it back, yet. But that's the claim he made in the book.

I'm finding the book very interesting. It has a lot of background stuff about Lee growing up, etc.

Anyway, I enjoyed the movie. All three main actors were pretty good. I wanted to see more of the mother (played by Debbie Reynolds).

Rob Lowe was good. How creepy could that character be?? He's become one of my favorite actors for playing a really creeepy character. The 'can't close your eyes all the way' thing was mega-creepy.
sharkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 10:54 AM   #47
javabird

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
I thought it was ok. Not HBO's best, but decent. Call it a B+. Interesting story.

Wait, Paul Lynde? No, say it ain't so. You take that back.
Really? I didn't know that either. I grew up watching him on Bewitched reruns.
javabird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 12:14 PM   #48
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by javabird View Post
Really? I didn't know that either. I grew up watching him on Bewitched reruns.
Paul Lynde was also the father in "Bye, Bye Birdie" on Broadway and in the movie.
UVerse and OTA

Old 05-31-2013, 04:51 PM   #49
Satchel

I pegged Debbie Reynolds from her voice...couldn't recognize her at all in that makeup.

As for Scott, with the scene at the beginning where he was the animal handler on the movie, I find it impossible to believe a movie or TV show would trust a 17 year old to do that job.

They did go out of their way to make it seem like he was older.
Satchel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 05:48 PM   #50
TonyD79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satchel View Post
I pegged Debbie Reynolds from her voice...couldn't recognize her at all in that makeup.

As for Scott, with the scene at the beginning where he was the animal handler on the movie, I find it impossible to believe a movie or TV show would trust a 17 year old to do that job.

They did go out of their way to make it seem like he was older.
I was confused on that point. Was he the handler or an assistant of some type?
Old 05-31-2013, 09:21 PM   #51
Cainebj

It is highly amusing to read the hetero comments on what they don't know about gay sex.

I thought the entire cast did an amazing job.
Douglas and Damon were brilliant.
The moment I realized that was Debbie Reynolds playing the Mom - and I didn't for quite a while - wow.

I'm tempted to read the book.
Cainebj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 09:40 PM   #52
sieglinde

Glad to see that Debbie Reynolds is still working
Old 06-01-2013, 09:48 AM   #53
sharkster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cainebj View Post
It is highly amusing to read the hetero comments on what they don't know about gay sex.

The moment I realized that was Debbie Reynolds playing the Mom - and I didn't for quite a while - wow.

I am enjoying the book. I'm only about a third of the way through. It's totally not what some might think, in terms of just being a big bash on Liberace. It feels pretty even-handed AND, actually, written with love.

The only thing that bummed me out a little was the lack of photos (in the paperback version, anyway - perhaps the OOP hardcover has some). I like having glossy photos in a bio piece.

Most remarkable, however, is the cover pic of both of them that was clearly taken after Scott's plastic surgery. So many of his facial characteristics are so much like Liberace's. He was a better looking young man before the surgery, obviously.
Old 06-02-2013, 01:06 AM   #54
gchance
4 8 15 16 23 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkster View Post
Most remarkable, however, is the cover pic of both of them that was clearly taken after Scott's plastic surgery. So many of his facial characteristics are so much like Liberace's. He was a better looking young man before the surgery, obviously.
After watching the movie, I did a couple image searches of Scott... and he looks a LOT like Liberace. That plastic surgeon may have been creepy, but he did what he set out to do, for sure.

So much to this story. The plastic surgeon committed suicide after a lot of his patients started having problems.

Here's a NY Times article about it from 1988. Nip/Tuck to the extreme. The Dark Side of Plastic Surgery

I have to say, I totally bought Michael Douglas as Liberace. He did an amazing job.

Greg

|
|
|

5k:
10k:
13.1M
26.2M
gchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 08:54 PM   #55
YCantAngieRead
Not Entirely Current

Did they hollywood up the piano playing scenes? I'm sure they did, but I'm completely torn between it being and awesome job and it being totally cheese ball.

I'm enjoying it. I'm also reading the book at the same time, so it's interesting to compare the two. As said above, the book really does seem to be written genuinely. Kind of changed what little I remembered about the "galimony" case when I was a kid.
Old 06-17-2013, 06:08 AM   #56
jamesbobo
with a grain of salt

Scott is on Howard Stern right now. He just said he's never received anal sex in his life. That was asked after he said he was treated for rectal cancer.

Last edited by jamesbobo : 06-17-2013 at 07:47 AM.
jamesbobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 07:47 AM   #57
brebeans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cainebj View Post

Agree.
brebeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 10:16 AM   #58
sharkster

I'm really glad I read the book. I could hardly put it down and was bummed out when I was finished. I wanted more. Then, after I finished the book, I watched the movie again.

The movie really kept close to the book except, of course, you cannot fit everything into a movie.
Old 06-18-2013, 10:27 AM   #59
gchance
4 8 15 16 23 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by YCantAngieRead View Post
Did they hollywood up the piano playing scenes? I'm sure they did, but I'm completely torn between it being and awesome job and it being totally cheese ball.
Nope, I was struck by how well they played it. It was extremely cheese ball, but you can't entirely blame Liberace for it. It was VEGAS. That's what Las Vegas was in those days.

I grew up watching Liberace on TV whenever he was on, my father loved him. Between Liberace and the MDA Telethon each year, it was the closest to Vaudeville a kid growing up in the late 70s/early 80s could see. Just a different kind of entertainment.

Liberace in Vegas

Greg

|
|
|

5k:
10k:
13.1M
26.2M
gchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 03:12 PM   #60
YCantAngieRead
Not Entirely Current

No, you misunderstand. I was talking of purely Michael Douglass playing the piano. You can't learn that kind of playing, so i assumed it was an effect, and that effect is what I was talking about being a bit cheesy.

The rest of it I was partly alive for. I remember the awesome cheesetastic nature of it.