TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-30-2013, 09:04 PM   #1
nessie

Are all TiVo cords/wires/cables universal?

I have a Toshiba Series 2 SD-H400 with TiVo Basic. I have the Scientific Atlanta Explorer 2100 cable box. I use an IR blaster to change channels. My cable provider is Cox.

The TiVo is cycling back and forth between the "Powering up" screen and "Just a few minutes more", so after doing some research it seems like it's a bad hard drive and I should throw out this TiVo. If I buy a used TiVo from ebay that comes with the console only (no wires or anything so I can get it for a cheaper price), can I use all the cords from my old SD-H400?
nessie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 10:10 PM   #2
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

yes
Old 05-30-2013, 10:39 PM   #3
nessie

Thanks.

Another question. With TiVo desktop, isn't it like you have infinite storage? You can transfer all the shows from TiVo to your computer, then delete the shows from TiVo and always transfer them back to TiVo later to save room. Or am I getting something wrong?
Old 05-30-2013, 11:01 PM   #4
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by nessie View Post
Thanks.

Another question. With TiVo desktop, isn't it like you have infinite storage? You can transfer all the shows from TiVo to your computer, then delete the shows from TiVo and always transfer them back to TiVo later to save room. Or am I getting something wrong?
Yes, you can use TiVo Desktop to transfer recordings back and forth, but that is far from "infinite".

You'll need to get another TiVo with basic or Lifetime service unless you want to pay a monthly service fee.

Also, unless you have it already, you should download TiVo Desktop ASAP. The free version will only be available through June 5th.

Finally, there is no real need to "throw out the TiVo". It can be fixed, although it may not be worth it.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 12:07 AM   #5
nessie

Thanks. Why would you need another TiVo? Why not just transfer between TiVo and PC and vice versa?
Old 05-31-2013, 12:22 AM   #6
lpwcomp

Quote:
Thanks. Why would you need another TiVo? Why not just transfer between TiVo and PC and vice versa?
I meant the replacement TiVo you are planning to buy. Sorry for the confusion.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 08:48 AM   #7
Jonathan_S

Quote:
Thanks.

I don't believe there are any copy protection restriction if you're using a non-cable card TiVo, but be aware that with the new high-def TiVos using cable cards that the cable company can place copy protection on recorded shows and those shows can't be copied via TiVo Desktop to the PC (or via MRV to another TiVo).

How many channels will be copy protected depends on your provider. Some like Verizon FIOS protect almost nothing (HBOs & PPV), others protect everything they're legally allowed to (everything but the broadcast channels).
Old 05-31-2013, 09:35 AM   #8
unitron

Quote:
I have a Toshiba Series 2 SD-H400 with TiVo Basic. I have the Scientific Atlanta Explorer 2100 cable box. I use an IR blaster to change channels. My cable provider is Cox.

The TiVo is cycling back and forth between the "Powering up" screen and "Just a few minutes more", so after doing some research it seems like it's a bad hard drive and I should throw out this TiVo. If I buy a used TiVo from ebay that comes with the console only (no wires or anything so I can get it for a cheaper price), can I use all the cords from my old SD-H400?
If you are truly planning to landfill that thing, let's talk.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote