TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-30-2013, 07:00 PM   #1
RusRus

I Have a Tivo HD DVR

If I do have a failed power supply how will a electronics repair person know which or what capacitor(s) to replace?
RusRus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 08:29 PM   #2
jmbach

The capacitors will be bulging or leaking.
Old 05-30-2013, 09:05 PM   #3
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmbach View Post
The capacitors will be bulging or leaking.
Not necessarily.
An electronics repair person would be able to test the capacitors.
Old 05-30-2013, 09:21 PM   #4
jmbach

Quote:
Originally Posted by scandia101 View Post
Not necessarily.
An electronics repair person would be able to test the capacitors.
You are exactly correct.

At the same time, if a capacitor is bulging but testing out okay so far it should be replaced. In theory the electronics repair person with the appropriate equipment should be able to detect capacitors that are going bad but visually Ok. The DIY bunch tend to just replace the visually bad capacitors and get a good outcome. If you have a good shop you should be in good shape as they should replace the visually bad capacitors and the ones that test bad but visually look good.
Old 05-30-2013, 10:03 PM   #5
poppagene
User

Quote:
You are exactly correct.

At the same time, if a capacitor is bulging but testing out okay so far it should be replaced. In theory the electronics repair person with the appropriate equipment should be able to detect capacitors that are going bad but visually Ok. The DIY bunch tend to just replace the visually bad capacitors and get a good outcome. If you have a good shop you should be in good shape as they should replace the visually bad capacitors and the ones that test bad but visually look good.
Replace them all
poppagene is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 10:03 AM   #6
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by RusRus View Post
If I do have a failed power supply how will a electronics repair person know which or what capacitor(s) to replace?
What part of the country are you in?

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 03:47 PM   #7
chazas

Quote:
You are exactly correct.

I just had mine fixed by a local shop that did just that. $50 and I didn't have to spend my time learning how to solder. I'm ok with that.
chazas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 04:16 PM   #8
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

General note,
if you find even a few caps with capacitor plague it's worth replacing all of the similar caps at the same time.

There's a very useful tip from my time with hundreds of dead Dell GX270 motherboards, pay attention to the brands of the capacitors, you don't have to actually look that hard or get the actual brand name, but look at the tops, different manufacturers will use different stamping patterns on the top, replace any that have the same embossing as the failed units.

I'm looking at a dead HP power supply now, I have caps with a + on top, caps with a K on top, and caps with an * on top, 5 out of 7 of the asterisk caps are bulging, you can bet I'm replacing all 7.
Old 06-02-2013, 10:28 PM   #9
RusRus

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
What part of the country are you in?
San Diego, CA
RusRus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 10:59 PM   #10
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by RusRus View Post
San Diego, CA
Nearest person that I know of (Scott, of lcdalternatives.com) is about 150 miles away in Stevenson Ranch, but San Diego should have at least one good repair shop--it seems to have at least two good vintage audio repair places, so there should be several good non-specialty shops that already know about capacitor plague in power supplies.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 12:36 AM   #11
Worf

Considering the labour to replace the caps will be WAY more expensive than the caps themselves, replace them all generally is the easiest solution. Even if you go for the primo quality caps.

Though if you want to test them, an in-circuit ESR tester will immediately tell you which ones are bad. (It's the only way to test them in-circuit otherwise if you're going to remove them, you might as well replace them).
Worf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 03:15 AM   #12
jfiberoptic

The repair man will test it, dont worry about that
jfiberoptic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 07:11 AM   #13
buscuitboy

I had a Series 3 OLED (lifetime) with a bulging cap. A local repair shop basically charged me $17 to fix it. Got it back and all has been working good.

Of course, I now have ANOTHER (lifetime) series 3 OLED with a bulging cap and is caught in a reboot loop so I have to do this again. Oh well & it STILL beats paying Comcrap for one of their crappy DVR boxes ($15-20/month).
buscuitboy is offline   Reply With Quote