TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-30-2013, 09:47 AM   #1
ahwman

Chronic problem with 1 SDV channel

I'm aware of a bug whereby often times SDV channels will not tune, then simply using channel up/down will resolve and tune the problem channel. However my issue runs deeper with one particular SDV channel (Science HD) channel 335 in my area. About once/week I cannot tune this channel and using channel up/down doesn't resolve it. The only way for me to resolve it is to start recordings on all four tuners (Premiere XL4) excluding the problem channel, then cancel recordings and re-tune channel 335 which always seems to bring it back. Apparently if a tuner sits on this channel for too long the issue will start again, so forcing my TiVo to record 4 different channels somehow purges the tuners. Has anyone else had this issue?
ahwman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 10:46 AM   #2
dlfl
Cranky old novice

What is your cable system? Location? Are you using a Tuning Adapter?

I suspect this is a problem with your cable system's response to SDV tuning requests. I don't see why you should have to start recordings on all tuners rather than just set the four tuners to four distinct channels. Each tuner is "recording" to a 30 minute buffer anyway.

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 08:11 PM   #3
ahwman

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfl View Post
What is your cable system? Location? Are you using a Tuning Adapter?

I suspect this is a problem with your cable system's response to SDV tuning requests. I don't see why you should have to start recordings on all tuners rather than just set the four tuners to four distinct channels. Each tuner is "recording" to a 30 minute buffer anyway.
I don't believe it to be a problem with my cable system (BrightHouse) as I've used Windows Media Center with the very same tuning adapter for years without tuning issues related to SDV channels. I believe this is yet another bug with how TiVo interfaces with tuning adapters. I'm just concerned that this is something that will get swept under the rug and never fixed. I have reported it to TiVo tech support however I feel like it's fallen on deaf ears at this point...
ahwman is offline   Reply With Quote