TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-29-2013, 01:00 PM   #4321
Hercules67
TiVo addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
The other common problem for not seeing shares in service mode (aside from what gonzotek posted above) is if you are mapping networked drives to windows volumes. Services cannot see networked drives that way. Instead you need to use UNC path names:
\\server\share\file_path
Right now, all my drives are USB, and none are networked or in the PC. SO, I should NOT have that problem. But every time someone brings this up, I do a double take, because I am not sure if I should worry or not.

This will matter later this year when my NAS is installed, I switch to Windows 7 or Mac OS and have the newest type of TiVo. But that won't happen at least until October.

I got to fix what I got right now.
Hercules67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 01:35 PM   #4322
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hercules67 View Post
Right now, all my drives are USB, and none are networked or in the PC. SO, I should NOT have that problem. But every time someone brings this up, I do a double take, because I am not sure if I should worry or not.

This will matter later this year when my NAS is installed, I switch to Windows 7 or Mac OS and have the newest type of TiVo. But that won't happen at least until October.

I got to fix what I got right now.
All of your drives are USB? That means they are removable. Is it possible that the service is starting before the drives are fully attached, so that it builds an empty cache? Have you tried stopping and starting the service after everything is up?

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 02:58 PM   #4323
Hercules67
TiVo addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
All of your drives are USB? That means they are removable. Is it possible that the service is starting before the drives are fully attached, so that it builds an empty cache? Have you tried stopping and starting the service after everything is up?
Well.... Interesting thought. Let me see what happens after the reinstall.

I also installed a program USB Drive Letter Manager. Still no sure how it's going to help me....
Old 05-29-2013, 04:09 PM   #4324
moyekj

So a good troubleshooting step is define a pyTivo video share that resides on your internal drive (C: volume) and see if that shows up in service mode. 1st test it out in non service mode to make sure it's working there, then try service mode. If that works then likely the issue is service mode not seeing the external drives.
Cox - Motorola CableCards & TAs
Slingbox 350 via TiVo Mini & TiVo Stream for remote viewing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 08:56 PM   #4325
Hercules67
TiVo addict

Quote:
So a good troubleshooting step is define a pyTivo video share that resides on your internal drive (C: volume) and see if that shows up in service mode. 1st test it out in non service mode to make sure it's working there, then try service mode. If that works then likely the issue is service mode not seeing the external drives.
I have a "My Videos" share under C:\. I had actually won 3 digital movies in a contest a while back, and they are in AVI. They take forever to go from the Hard Drive to the TiVo, but that's why I have that share.

I will troubleshoot with it. Thanks.
Old 05-30-2013, 02:35 PM   #4326
Hercules67
TiVo addict

Well, I reinstalled everything (I am now on Python 2.7.5), and the latest wmcbrine release.

It did not work.

I am pretty sure I followed all the steps correctly.

I do have a suspicion like some of you have been saying though that it is a communications issue, but I am not sure how to troubleshoot it. Should I turn Windows Firewall OFF next? (The appropriate port UDP 5353 is open of course).

I dunno.

Thanks for the help.
Old 05-30-2013, 03:21 PM   #4327
moyekj

Did you try with a c: volume share?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-30-2013, 03:53 PM   #4328
Hercules67
TiVo addict

Quote:
Did you try with a c: volume share?
I did yes. I even stayed there (on the TiVo side) waiting, until it gave me the message saying it was empty,

At this point, I don't know.
Old 05-30-2013, 03:56 PM   #4329
moyekj

So what's the status after you upgraded pyTivo? Everything is working running using console but not service mode? Post your pyTivo.conf here so we can review it.

Old 05-30-2013, 04:02 PM   #4330
Hercules67
TiVo addict

Quote:
So what's the status after you upgraded pyTivo? Everything is working running using console but not service mode? Post your pyTivo.conf here so we can review it.
Correct, if I run it in Console Mode, it seems to run, except it hangs-up on a few files (granted, some of them, might not have been encoded properly, and that's a different issue -- let's put that aside for now).

I have attached the Config File.
Attached Files
File Type: txt pyTivo.txt (1.5 KB, 6 views)
Old 05-30-2013, 04:20 PM   #4331
moyekj

I would start with a very simple pyTivo.conf with only 1 video share under c: volume. So assuming that C:\Documents and Settings\Mike\My Documents\My Videos exists and contains some videos rename your existing pyTivo.conf and make a new very simple one to experiment with:
Code:
[Server]
debug = true

[My Videos]
type = video
path = C:\Documents and Settings\Mike\My Documents\My Videos
force_alpha = true
Obviously make sure you shut down pyTivo console and/or service, then put simple pyTivo.conf in place and then re-start.

Old 05-30-2013, 09:22 PM   #4332
Hercules67
TiVo addict

Quote:
I would start with a very simple pyTivo.conf with only 1 video share under c: volume. So assuming that C:\Documents and Settings\Mike\My Documents\My Videos exists and contains some videos rename your existing pyTivo.conf and make a new very simple one to experiment with:
Code:
[Server]
debug = true

[My Videos]
type = video
path = C:\Documents and Settings\Mike\My Documents\My Videos
force_alpha = true
Obviously make sure you shut down pyTivo console and/or service, then put simple pyTivo.conf in place and then re-start.
Got it.

Trying it right now. Thanks. Will return with results.
Old 05-30-2013, 11:35 PM   #4333
Hercules67
TiVo addict

Well, it did not work. Don't know what to try next.
Old 05-31-2013, 12:01 AM   #4334
lpwcomp

Quote:
Well, it did not work. Don't know what to try next.
Are you certain that the service is set to run under an Administrator account?

Old 05-31-2013, 03:09 PM   #4335
Hercules67
TiVo addict

Quote:
Are you certain that the service is set to run under an Administrator account?
Well, that's an excellent question.... Let's take it from the top, shall we:

-- "Mike", my account is a full, Windows XP administrative rights account. I never operate under the PURE Administrator account as I was taught by my MCSE instructor.

-- Now, when I go to: Computer Management, Services and Applications, Services, pytivo, I see the following:

-- In the second tab of pyTivo properties (Local Computer) it says:
Log on as:
"As Local System Account" is selected .... (I assume that means my account of "Mike".)
Underneath that there is a checkbox for: "Allow service to interact with desktop" which is NOT selected (should it be?)

Does all of that make sense?

Is any of it correct?

Is any of it incorrect?
Old 05-31-2013, 04:19 PM   #4336
moyekj

Quote:
Well, that's an excellent question.... Let's take it from the top, shall we:

-- "Mike", my account is a full, Windows XP administrative rights account. I never operate under the PURE Administrator account as I was taught by my MCSE instructor.

-- Now, when I go to: Computer Management, Services and Applications, Services, pytivo, I see the following:

-- In the second tab of pyTivo properties (Local Computer) it says:
Log on as:
"As Local System Account" is selected .... (I assume that means my account of "Mike".)
Underneath that there is a checkbox for: "Allow service to interact with desktop" which is NOT selected (should it be?)

Does all of that make sense?

Is any of it correct?

Is any of it incorrect?
No, that's not correct - that means you are using the generic system account. From service properties "Log On" tab you should select "This account" and supply the password for the account you normally use (that has Admin permissions).

Old 05-31-2013, 04:21 PM   #4337
Hercules67
TiVo addict

Quote:
No, I don't think that's correct. From service properties "Log On" tab you should select "This account" and supply the password for the account you normally use (that has Admin permissions).
Got it. Let me try that then...
Old 05-31-2013, 06:02 PM   #4338
Hercules67
TiVo addict

Quote:
No, that's not correct - that means you are using the generic system account. From service properties "Log On" tab you should select "This account" and supply the password for the account you normally use (that has Admin permissions).
Well, that did not seem to work... yet, I am reluctant to call it a failure, because there is one difference I am seeing from before:

-- I still can't see ANY files on the TiVo, just top level shares,

However,

-- Unlike before, I can now connect to Localhost:9032 through the browser of choice (Chrome/Firefox/IE8) and navigate around. I could not do that before without first having run the pyTivo.py file and starting a console window. So, somehow, we have gotten closer to figuring this out.
Old 05-31-2013, 06:07 PM   #4339
Hercules67
TiVo addict

Could it have anything to do with TiVo Desktop Settings? Has something in the TiVo software changed possibly? Keep in mind I am only playing with S2 units here.

Thanks again.
Old 05-31-2013, 06:28 PM   #4340
lpwcomp

Quote:
Well, that did not seem to work... yet, I am reluctant to call it a failure, because there is one difference I am seeing from before:

-- I still can't see ANY files on the TiVo, just top level shares,
Shares? Plural? Does this mean you are not using the minimal config file?

Quote:
However,

-- Unlike before, I can now connect to Localhost:9032 through the browser of choice (Chrome/Firefox/IE8) and navigate around. I could not do that before without first having run the pyTivo.py file and starting a console window. So, somehow, we have gotten closer to figuring this out.
Can you see the content of the shares there?

Quote:
Could it have anything to do with TiVo Desktop Settings? Has something in the TiVo software changed possibly? Keep in mind I am only playing with S2 units here.

Thanks again.
TD settings shouldn't have anything to do with it.

Old 05-31-2013, 06:43 PM   #4341
moyekj

Using the simple pyTivo.conf and with service running execute following in a browser and post the response you get:
Code:
http://localhost:9032/TiVoConnect?Command=QueryContainer&Container=My%20Videos
It should return XML with information about videos for the "My Videos" share.

If you get nothing substantial returned perhaps also repeat when running pyTivo in console mode and compare the XML response.

Last edited by moyekj : 05-31-2013 at 06:58 PM.
Old 05-31-2013, 08:23 PM   #4342
HerronScott

Quote:
LocalSystem has Adminsitrator (and SYSTEM) access to local resources and works fine. Microsoft actually recommends not running services under LocalSystem if the service does not need the extensive rights granted to it through using that account.

From MSDN at Microsoft:

The LocalSystem account is a predefined local account used by the service control manager. This account is not recognized by the security subsystem, so you cannot specify its name in a call to the LookupAccountName function. It has extensive privileges on the local computer, and acts as the computer on the network. Its token includes the NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM and BUILTIN\Administrators SIDs; these accounts have access to most system objects. The name of the account in all locales is .\LocalSystem. The name, LocalSystem or ComputerName\LocalSystem can also be used. This account does not have a password. If you specify the LocalSystem account in a call to the CreateService or ChangeServiceConfig function, any password information you provide is ignored.

Scott
HerronScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 08:31 PM   #4343
Hercules67
TiVo addict

Quote:
Shares? Plural? Does this mean you are not using the minimal config file?

Can you see the content of the shares there?

TD settings shouldn't have anything to do with it.
Got it. Will do. I've been playing with both config files interchangeably (both restarting the TiVos and the PC).

I will go back to the min config file.

--- PS (edit): YES I can see the content of the SHARES in the browser. I can navigate to any file. I have tried to do a PUSH, but it does NOT work.

Last edited by Hercules67 : 05-31-2013 at 08:46 PM.
Old 05-31-2013, 08:32 PM   #4344
Hercules67
TiVo addict

Quote:
Using the simple pyTivo.conf and with service running execute following in a browser and post the response you get:
Code:

If you get nothing substantial returned perhaps also repeat when running pyTivo in console mode and compare the XML response.
Got it, would post results as soon as I can. Thanks.
Old 05-31-2013, 08:37 PM   #4345
Hercules67
TiVo addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerronScott View Post
LocalSystem has Adminsitrator (and SYSTEM) access to local resources and works fine. Microsoft actually recommends not running services under LocalSystem if the service does not need the extensive rights granted to it through using that account.

From MSDN at Microsoft:

The LocalSystem account is a predefined local account used by the service control manager. This account is not recognized by the security subsystem, so you cannot specify its name in a call to the LookupAccountName function. It has extensive privileges on the local computer, and acts as the computer on the network. Its token includes the NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM and BUILTIN\Administrators SIDs; these accounts have access to most system objects. The name of the account in all locales is .\LocalSystem. The name, LocalSystem or ComputerName\LocalSystem can also be used. This account does not have a password. If you specify the LocalSystem account in a call to the CreateService or ChangeServiceConfig function, any password information you provide is ignored.

Scott

OK, so leave it under "This Account" or "Local System Account". Which one is preferable?
Old 05-31-2013, 10:08 PM   #4346
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerronScott View Post

From MSDN at Microsoft:

Scott
I have a few examples where running using the LocalSystem account doesn't work. VideoRedo COM mode (WScript calls) is one such example. There's been other instances where tasks as part of kmttg in service mode don't run properly using LocalSystem but run fine using the user account, so despite what MS may say I've seen evidence suggesting it's better to use your own account when possible.

Old 06-01-2013, 08:53 AM   #4347
HerronScott

Quote:
I have a few examples where running using the LocalSystem account doesn't work. VideoRedo COM mode (WScript calls) is one such example. There's been other instances where tasks as part of kmttg in service mode don't run properly using LocalSystem but run fine using the user account, so despite what MS may say I've seen evidence suggesting it's better to use your own account when possible.
They do say most system objects. Obviously anything that might depend on specific settings in the user profile is going to need to run under that user account.

Since we were talking about pyTivo in this case though, I haven't had any issues running it under LocalSystem with Windows Server 2003.

Scott
Old 06-01-2013, 08:54 AM   #4348
HerronScott

Quote:
OK, so leave it under "This Account" or "Local System Account". Which one is preferable?
I'd leave it running under your user account.

Scott
Old 06-01-2013, 11:44 AM   #4349
Hercules67
TiVo addict

Quote:
Code:

With min config file here are the results:

Code:
DEBUG:pyTivo.video.transcode:aFreq=48000; aCh=2; container=mov; kbps=834; mapAudio=[('0:1', '(und) aac (mp4a / 0x6134706D), 48000 Hz, stereo, fltp, 118 kb/s\r')]; vHeight=404; vCodec=h264; Supported=True; aKbps=118; par=None; millisecs=2608300; vFps=23.98; par2=None; par1=None; mapVideo=0:0; vWidth=720; dar1=None; rawmeta={'major_brand': [u'isom'], 'creation_time': [u'2012-10-18 17:29:59'], 'compatible_brands': [u'isom'], 'minor_version': [u'1']}; aCodec=aac
DEBUG:pyTivo.video.transcode:CACHE HIT! C:\Documents and Settings\Mike\My Documents\My Videos\Person of Interest - 2x03 - Masquerade.mp4
DEBUG:pyTivo.video.transcode:CACHE HIT! C:\Documents and Settings\Mike\My Documents\My Videos\Person of Interest - 2x03 - Masquerade.mp4
DEBUG:pyTivo.video.transcode:TRANSCODE=YES, vCodec h264 not compatible, C:\Documents and Settings\Mike\My Documents\My Videos\Person of Interest - 2x03 - Masquerade.mp4
INFO:pyTivo:192.168.1.20 [01/Jun/2013 11:11:25] "GET /TiVoConnect?Command=QueryContainer&Container=Mike's%20Videos&SortOrder=!CaptureDate&ItemCount=1&AnchorItem=%2FMike%2527s%2520Videos%2FPerson%2520of%2520Interest%2520-%25202x03%2520-%2520Masquerade.mp4&AnchorOffset=-1&Filter=x-tivo-container%2Ftivo-videos,x-tivo-container%2Ffolder,video%2Fx-tivo-mpeg,video%2F* HTTP/1.1" 200 -
DEBUG:pyTivo.video.transcode:TRANSCODE=YES, vCodec h264 not compatible, C:\Documents and Settings\Mike\My Documents\My Videos\Person of Interest - 2x03 - Masquerade.mp4
INFO:pyTivo:192.168.1.20 [01/Jun/2013 11:11:25] "GET /TiVoConnect?Command=TVBusQuery&Container=Mike's%20Videos&File=%2FPerson%20of%20Interest%20-%202x03%20-%20Masquerade.mp4 HTTP/1.1" 200 -
INFO:pyTivo:192.168.1.20 [01/Jun/2013 11:11:29] "GET /Mike's%20Videos/Person%20of%20Interest%20-%202x03%20-%20Masquerade.mp4?Format=video%2Fx-tivo-mpeg HTTP/1.1" 206 -
INFO:pyTivo.video.video:[01/Jun/2013 11:11:29] Start sending "C:\Documents and Settings\Mike\My Documents\My Videos\Person of Interest - 2x03 - Masquerade.mp4" to Livingroom1
DEBUG:pyTivo.video.video:"C:\Documents and Settings\Mike\My Documents\My Videos\Person of Interest - 2x03 - Masquerade.mp4" is not tivo compatible
DEBUG:pyTivo.video.transcode:tsn: ************
DEBUG:pyTivo.video.transcode:aspect169: False
DEBUG:pyTivo.video.transcode:optres: False
DEBUG:pyTivo.video.transcode:File=C:\Documents and Settings\Mike\My Documents\My Videos\Person of Interest - 2x03 - Masquerade.mp4 vCodec=h264 vWidth=720 vHeight=404 vFps=23.98 millisecs=2608300 TIVO_HEIGHT=480 TIVO_WIDTH=544
DEBUG:pyTivo.video.transcode:rheight=101 rwidth=180
DEBUG:pyTivo.video.transcode:par2=1.000 ratio=178.218 mult4by3=1.176
DEBUG:pyTivo.video.transcode:File is wider than 4:3 padding top and bottom
-aspect 16:9 -s 544x478 -padtop 0 -padbottom 2
DEBUG:pyTivo.video.transcode:audio_lang: None
DEBUG:pyTivo.video.transcode:set first detected audio stream by default: 0:1
DEBUG:pyTivo.video.transcode:selected audio stream: 0:1
DEBUG:pyTivo.video.transcode:transcoding to tivo model 649 using ffmpeg command:
DEBUG:pyTivo.video.transcode:C:\pyTivo\bin\ffmpeg.exe -i C:\Documents and Settings\Mike\My Documents\My Videos\Person of Interest - 2x03 - Masquerade.mp4 -vcodec mpeg2video -r 29.97 -b 4096k -maxrate 30000k -bufsize 1024k -aspect 16:9 -s 544x478 -padtop 0 -padbottom 2 -ab 448k -ar 48000 -acodec ac3 -copyts -map 0:0 -map 0:1 -f vob -
INFO:pyTivo.video.video:[01/Jun/2013 11:11:29] Done sending "C:\Documents and Settings\Mike\My Documents\My Videos\Person of Interest - 2x03 - Masquerade.mp4" to Livingroom1, 9216 bytes, 0.25 Mb/s
INFO:pyTivo:192.168.1.20 [01/Jun/2013 11:11:33] "GET /TiVoConnect?Command=QueryFormats&SourceFormat=video%2Fx-tivo-mpeg HTTP/1.1" 200 -
INFO:pyTivo:192.168.1.20 [01/Jun/2013 11:11:33] "GET /TiVoConnect?Command=QueryContainer&Container=Mike's%20Videos&SortOrder=!CaptureDate&ItemCount=8&AnchorItem=%2FMike%2527s%2520Videos%2FPerson%2520of%2520Interest%2520-%25202x03%2520-%2520Masquerade.mp4&AnchorOffset=-7&Filter=x-tivo-container%2Ftivo-videos,x-tivo-container%2Ffolder,video%2Fx-tivo-mpeg,video%2F* HTTP/1.1" 200 -
Of course it does not transcode and I end-up with a file of 0.00KB on the TiVo. This: "CACHE HIT" I have been seeing a lot in my DEBUG files. And yes, the pyTiVo console window has to be open again for it to run.

Could the version of ffmpeg have something to do with it? I am just asking, I don't know.
Old 06-01-2013, 11:47 AM   #4350
moyekj

I'm more interested in the XML response from the browser when you try that URL, not the pyTivo log. i.e. Post the browser response to that URL. Certainly looks like from the above that pyTivo is finding videos in that share though. Was that running pyTivo in console mode or service mode?

To be clear what I'm asking is:
1. Use simple pyTivo.conf
2. Start pyTivo in service mode (setup to use your account)
3. Try the QueryContainer URL above and post the resulting XML contents in the browser