TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-27-2013, 12:14 AM   #31
mrsean

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerronScott View Post
Calling TiVo a shoddy product is taking it to the extreme even given the frustration with your issue which as others have mentioned is more than likely on TW's side. My brother has a TiVo HD and a Comcast DVR and he's had to replace the Comcast DVR 3 times in the past 2 years and one of those was a brand new unit so his experience with the cable DVD has not been very good so far. I hope your experience with the TW DVR is better.

Scott
I have to say that the I agree with the original poster that the Tivo Premiere is a shoddy product. It's still really slow, the menus remain unfinished more than 2 years after it's release, it is subject random reboots and loss channels and recordings - and this has been reported by numerous people using different cable providers with or without tuning adapters. Also, the OTA tuners are substandard in comparison to it's predecessor. Add to that Tivo's poor customer relations and inadequate tech support, I can definitely see why anyone would make fast break to better solution for themselves.

Given all this though I still do like Tivo though.

Retired: DirecTiVo, Series 2 DT, TiVo HD, Premiere, Premiere 4, TiVo Stream
mrsean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 08:16 AM   #32
Richard Cranium

Actually it's been more than 3 years since its release. If you add in the time it took to get it to be "release ready" and it's been over 5 YEARS.

So, after 5 years it still loses channels, locks up, reboots, misses recordings, loses audio and still has unfinished menus.

Yea, no way a generic box can compare to that!
Richard Cranium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 10:22 AM   #33
atmuscarella

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsean View Post
I have to say that the I agree with the original poster that the Tivo Premiere is a shoddy product. It's still really slow, the menus remain unfinished more than 2 years after it's release, it is subject random reboots and loss channels and recordings - and this has been reported by numerous people using different cable providers with or without tuning adapters. Also, the OTA tuners are substandard in comparison to it's predecessor. Add to that Tivo's poor customer relations and inadequate tech support, I can definitely see why anyone would make fast break to better solution for themselves.

My Personal opinion is the Premiere is long past needing a hardware update however the original poster's alternative was a TWC DVR the only reason that will be an improvement is because TWC will stop intentionally causing problems but there DVR is nothing to be happy you have to use.

It is true that the OTA tuners in the Premiere do not deal with multi-path issues as well as the ones in my Series 3 units. However I have the same issues with my newer Silicon Dust HDHomeRun OTA tuners as I do with the Premiere and I read the same complaints about the tuners in CM 7400 OTA DVR versus the tuners in the older CM/Dish OTA DVR seems like newer should be better but it is not ending up that way.
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
atmuscarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 05:46 PM   #34
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsean View Post

If by sub-standard tuners you mean it picks up all of the same channels that my S3 boxes did at my house and picks up the same channels at my GFs house that her S3 boxes currently do. Then I guess that is sub-standard.
40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 06:23 PM   #35
Richard Cranium

Quote:
Originally Posted by atmuscarella View Post
the only reason that will be an improvement is because TWC will stop intentionally causing problems
LOL!! Oh, come on...
Old 05-27-2013, 06:30 PM   #36
Richard Cranium

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
If by sub-standard tuners you mean it picks up all of the same channels that my S3 boxes did at my house and picks up the same channels at my GFs house that her S3 boxes currently do. Then I guess that is sub-standard.
"It's still really slow, the menus remain unfinished more than 2 years after it's release, it is subject random reboots and loss channels and recordings"

You forgot to mention these reasons....
Old 05-27-2013, 08:46 PM   #37
innocentfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by E. Norma Stitz View Post
"It's still really slow, the menus remain unfinished more than 2 years after it's release, it is subject random reboots and loss channels and recordings"

You forgot to mention these reasons....
Not all of us have these problems. The only reboot I had was 1 time over a year ago. I haven't lost channels or recordings.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 09:09 PM   #38
MPSAN

I just have to say that I like some of the user names on this thread. Especially E. Norma. :-)
Old 05-27-2013, 09:48 PM   #39
nrc
Cracker Soul

Quote:
Actually it's been more than 3 years since its release. If you add in the time it took to get it to be "release ready" and it's been over 5 YEARS.

So, after 5 years it still loses channels, locks up, reboots, misses recordings, loses audio and still has unfinished menus.

Yea, no way a generic box can compare to that!
If you're unhappy with TiVo then you should definitely go to another solution. I don't generally experience any of the problems you mention and the "unfinished menus" don't bother me so I'm very happy with my Elite.

So long.

Not entirely square
nrc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 09:58 PM   #40
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrc View Post
If you're unhappy with TiVo then you should definitely go to another solution. I don't generally experience any of the problems you mention and the "unfinished menus" don't bother me so I'm very happy with my Elite.

So long.
Most people should not be going to the so called "unfinished menus" many times a year, for most never after initial setup and cable card pairing. I know people on this forum like to see what is going on with SNR etc. but most users don't.

Old 05-27-2013, 11:17 PM   #41
Davisadm
TiVo is Back!!!!!!!!

Who cares if not all the menus are in HD! They do the job, right?! I didn't buy TiVo to look at HD menus, I bought it for its functionality. I have a Premiere 45 hour, XL4, Mini, and Stream. Mine work fine, just as they were intended to, a good Whole Home set up. And guess what, I have TWC! Which BTW, I am not thrilled about, but I am stuck with them, unless I want to go with satellite, which I don't. With the bundling of TV, internet, & phone, it much cheaper than having a dish on the roof.

Remember that the ones with problems are the ones who are complaining and moaning. If it works fine, rarely are you going to hear from them. Look at Yelp, UrbanSpoon, and other ratings and review places. More often than not, people go there to air their complaints, less often to praise.

If TiVoCommunity was an accurate sample of TiVo users, I doubt they would still be in business. And we have the regular TiVo bashers, who love to say anything negative they can about TiVo. Why some of them are still here on TC, I don't understand!
Davisadm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 03:05 PM   #42
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davisadm View Post
If TiVoCommunity was an accurate sample of TiVo users, I doubt they would still be in business. And we have the regular TiVo bashers, who love to say anything negative they can about TiVo. Why some of them are still here on TC, I don't understand!
They just like to share.

Old 05-28-2013, 03:25 PM   #43
Richard Cranium

Quote:
I have TWC! Which BTW, I am not thrilled about, but I am stuck with them
TiVo should sue them.
Old 05-28-2013, 03:31 PM   #44
Richard Cranium

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrc View Post
If you're unhappy with TiVo then you should definitely go to another solution.
I did, and so did the original poster. You guys are the ones that are getting all defensive about it....
Old 05-28-2013, 05:28 PM   #45
lessd

Quote:
I did, and so did the original poster. You guys are the ones that are getting all defensive about it....
We use this forum to learn, not be defensive, if you had found another co that just came out with a TiVo equivalent (never mentioned before) that would be informative, just leaving TiVo not so much, as I am sure many people leave TiVo, just look at their churn rate, if everybody that left TiVo posted on this forum.....

Old 05-28-2013, 05:45 PM   #46
Richard Cranium

Quote:
Remember that the ones with problems are the ones who are complaining and moaning. If it works fine, rarely are you going to hear from them.
TiVo lost over 72,000 stand alone subs last year, 22,000 last quarter alone.

That's over 200 people a day that are cancelling because they are having NO PROBLEMS AT ALL!!!

Think about it, that's one person every 8 minutes, 9 people EVERY HOUR, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 52 weeks a year that are running for the exits.

Oops!! There goes another sub in the time it took to type this post...

Yea, there's no problem with the hardware. It's all Time Warner's fault!!! LOL!!!l

Last edited by Richard Cranium : 05-28-2013 at 06:30 PM.
Old 05-28-2013, 05:56 PM   #47
Richard Cranium

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessd View Post
We use this forum to learn, not be defensive
The OP was told flat out that it was his MSO's fault after stating VERY CLEARLY that between Him, TW and TiVo that it is CLEARLY the TiVo that was at fault.

Exactly how many times does your MSO have to pay for a truck roll to try to fix something they ARE NOT MAKING ANY MONEY FROM?

AFAIC TW goes above and beyond trying to pound a square peg into a round hole to please its customers.

How is that "learning" anything? And don't bother trying to deny the fact that 90% of the people that responded went into MSO attack mode.

That's about as "defensive" as it gets.
Old 05-28-2013, 05:59 PM   #48
innocentfreak

Can we please stop feeding the trolls?

innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 06:01 PM   #49
Richard Cranium

Quote:
Originally Posted by innocentfreak View Post
Can we please stop feeding the trolls?
LOL!!! We're playing the "troll" card now!!!
Old 05-28-2013, 06:14 PM   #50
Davisadm
TiVo is Back!!!!!!!!

Quote:
LOL!!! We're playing the "troll" card now!!!
You are very bitter. If you left TiVo, why are you here?
Old 05-28-2013, 06:27 PM   #51
Richard Cranium

Quote:
Bitter? How does pointing out facts make me "bitter"?

I'm not the one that's emotionally attached to an inaminate object and feels the need to defend it at all costs. This site is FULL of posts pointing out the warts of this product.

Just because I don't use my TiVo's doesn't mean I "left"

I payed my $1400, I have an opinion. An extremely unpopular one, but I've yet to have anyone prove me wrong.

Just saying...
Old 05-28-2013, 07:48 PM   #52
WhiskeyTango

Quote:

That's over 200 people a day that are cancelling because they are having NO PROBLEMS AT ALL!!!

Think about it, that's one person every 8 minutes, 9 people EVERY HOUR, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 52 weeks a year that are running for the exits.

Yea, there's no problem with the hardware. It's all Time Warner's fault!!! LOL!!!l
Quote:
Bitter? How does pointing out facts make me "bitter"?

I'm not the one that's emotionally attached to an inaminate object and feels the need to defend it at all costs. This site is FULL of posts pointing out the warts of this product.

Just because I don't use my TiVo's doesn't mean I "left"

I payed my $1400, I have an opinion. An extremely unpopular one, but I've yet to have anyone prove me wrong.

Just saying...
What makes you bitter is the fact that you spent $1400 and regret your purchase so you go from thread to thread here spouting off about the same thing over and over with a snarky attitude. You make things up and pass them off as fact (no where in the OP was it CLEARLY determined to be a defective Tivo, the OP actually pointed out dealing with CC and TA issues - those would be TW problems as many have pointed out...oh and TW going above and beyond? Yea, go check out the link I posted earlier with almost 200 pages of TW customer complaints), generalize what's posted here as being true for all Tivo users (not everyone is having problems with their Tivos as has also been stated or there would be millions of posters complaining), and pick and choose which facts you present meanwhile ignoring anything that doesn't support your argument (yes Tivo lost 22k stand alone subs but they also gained 277k MSO subs in that same time, those MSO subs which use the same hardware/software as the Premiere). Frankly, no one wants to deal with you, it's really that simple. And yes, as much as you hate to admit it, you are a troll. You've contributed nothing of value in anything you've posted this year and have only taken every opportunity to take digs at Tivos whether it's faulty hardware, the features, or just the size of the hard drive. You take shots at other posters here trying to get a rise out of them to make yourself look superior. That is the definition of a troll.

Oh, and you can go ahead and make some smart ass reply and that's fine. I'm done, I've put way more time into addressing you than you deserve.

/Ignore
WhiskeyTango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 08:51 PM   #53
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:

It doesn't mean they are all cancellations. A lifetime sub will fall off at some point too. Which will also show up in that same number of lost subscriptions.

My GF has two of my old S3 lifetime boxes that I got in 2006. She uses them every day. But I don't think she is counted as a subscriber any more.
40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 09:34 PM   #54
scole250

If Norma wants to pay TWC to use their DVR, that's his option. Though if he's happy with a TWC DVR, I'm not sure why he rags on Tivo instead of explaining why he likes the TWC DVR. I've used them. They stink.
Old 05-28-2013, 10:24 PM   #55
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Bagadonuts View Post
I am done having to pay $20 a month/DVR for a product that has become more of a headache than anything.
You definitely should have gone lifetime.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 11:06 PM   #56
Davisadm
TiVo is Back!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeyTango View Post
What makes you bitter is the fact that you spent $1400 and regret your purchase so you go from thread to thread here spouting off about the same thing over and over with a snarky attitude. You make things up and pass them off as fact (no where in the OP was it CLEARLY determined to be a defective Tivo, the OP actually pointed out dealing with CC and TA issues - those would be TW problems as many have pointed out...oh and TW going above and beyond? Yea, go check out the link I posted earlier with almost 200 pages of TW customer complaints), generalize what's posted here as being true for all Tivo users (not everyone is having problems with their Tivos as has also been stated or there would be millions of posters complaining), and pick and choose which facts you present meanwhile ignoring anything that doesn't support your argument (yes Tivo lost 22k stand alone subs but they also gained 277k MSO subs in that same time, those MSO subs which use the same hardware/software as the Premiere). Frankly, no one wants to deal with you, it's really that simple. And yes, as much as you hate to admit it, you are a troll. You've contributed nothing of value in anything you've posted this year and have only taken every opportunity to take digs at Tivos whether it's faulty hardware, the features, or just the size of the hard drive. You take shots at other posters here trying to get a rise out of them to make yourself look superior. That is the definition of a troll.

Oh, and you can go ahead and make some smart ass reply and that's fine. I'm done, I've put way more time into addressing you than you deserve.

/Ignore
Thank you WhiskeyTango. I'm getting sick of her posts popping up everywhere moaning and complaining. TC is supposed to be a place that helps fellow TiVo owners.
Old 05-29-2013, 12:18 PM   #57
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

Quote:
Trying to figure out that one myself, but haters gonna be haters.
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 01:28 PM   #58
CuriousMark
Forum Denizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPSAN View Post
I just have to say that I like some of the user names on this thread. Especially E. Norma. :-)
I liked some of his other names on other boards too, but this one is definitely the best. But I do miss the Little DB one.

When he had his issues with his Premieres and (I think) Time Warner, it helped me decide to stay with DirecTV and keep my S2s over switching to Time Warner. If TWC sold our area to another cable provider I would probably dump DTV in a heartbeat.
CuriousMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 01:42 PM   #59
rlcarr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Bagadonuts View Post
One word of advice TiVo: Study the customer service practices of Verizon Wireless and mirror those. They actually care about their customers - something you might want to consider if you want to stay in business.
Why are you trying to make us collapse in unending hysterical laughter?
rlcarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 05:05 PM   #60
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessd View Post
Most people should not be going to the so called "unfinished menus" many times a year, for most never after initial setup and cable card pairing. I know people on this forum like to see what is going on with SNR etc. but most users don't.
There are still a couple of main areas that need to be updated. i.e. Wish Lists and Browse By Channel. Also the Amazon and Web Video apps are in serious need of an upgrade. The settings menus probably don't matter to most people, but it is a bit strange when some of them flop back and forth. Like the Video Providers menu. You have to navigate through a couple of SD menus to ultimately land on an HD menu. Can be a little jarring.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote