TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-27-2013, 02:48 PM   #1
Squeege96

OK - I'm Stumped. Can't get my original S3 to boot

Hi all! I know that there have been a few threads on this, but I still can't find an answer to my issue. I have an original S3 that just won't boot. I have replaced the HD with a new drive (with the 648 image), I have replaced all of the busted capacitors, and have even gone so far as to switch out the power supply with my other S3 just to verify that I installed everything correctly. But still, I am stuck on the "Welcome, Powering Up..." screen. Any suggestions?

One thing that I didn't mention was the fact that I had an external drive hooked up to the unit when it died - I have not plugged that drive back in as I suspect that its dead as well. Could that be my issue?

Thanks!
Squeege96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 07:31 PM   #2
reubanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeege96 View Post
Hi all! I know that there have been a few threads on this, but I still can't find an answer to my issue. I have an original S3 that just won't boot. I have replaced the HD with a new drive (with the 648 image), I have replaced all of the busted capacitors, and have even gone so far as to switch out the power supply with my other S3 just to verify that I installed everything correctly. But still, I am stuck on the "Welcome, Powering Up..." screen. Any suggestions?

One thing that I didn't mention was the fact that I had an external drive hooked up to the unit when it died - I have not plugged that drive back in as I suspect that its dead as well. Could that be my issue?

Thanks!
If you are using a known good new internal drive with a fresh image, then it wouldn't be looking for a non existent (not connected) external drive. I'd try the drive in your other S3 to see if it'll boot there. If it works, swap it back and try again.

Good luck!
Randy
1 HDXL w/WD20EADS and Lifetime
1 THD stock Lifetime. Smouldering wreckage...
reubanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 10:56 AM   #3
L David Matheny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeege96 View Post

Thanks!
What kind of drive? Is it a Western Digital? Have you run WDidle3? Do you need to? Search for threads discussing that.
L David Matheny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 07:50 PM   #4
DTxAg

Quote:
Originally Posted by L David Matheny View Post
Have you run WDidle3?
I had the same problem recently and this solved the problem.
DTxAg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 09:16 AM   #5
buscuitboy

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by L David Matheny View Post
What kind of drive? Is it a Western Digital? Have you run WDidle3? Do you need to? Search for threads discussing that.
Same here. I had a WD "green" drive. I was having reboot issues and wasn't aware of the intellipark feature that needed to be turned off. Learned about it through these forums. I got a hold of wdidle3 software, installed WD drive in an older Desktop PC & then watched a youtube video on how to turn it off. Put a new image on the drive and slip it into my S3 (OLED) unit and it worked perfectly. Its still running with no issues. I would definitely try this wdidle3 solution.
buscuitboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 04:18 PM   #6
jmbach

Quote:
Originally Posted by reubanks View Post
If you are using a known good new internal drive with a fresh image, then it wouldn't be looking for a non existent (not connected) external drive. I'd try the drive in your other S3 to see if it'll boot there. If it works, swap it back and try again.

Good luck!
Randy
+1
Old 07-02-2013, 08:03 AM   #7
Squeege96

You guys nailed it! FINALLY got time to tear the old machine apart and ran WDIDLE3. I had a slight issue with getting FreeDos to run on a 64 bit system, but found Ultimate Boot Disc (www.ultimatebootcd.com) which really helped.

Which brings me to my new issue - during this repair process, my Tivo HD unit failed (652). I replaced the drive a few years ago with a WD Green drive. I ran WDIDLE on this drive as well. I also ran WD Lifeguard to see if there were any potential issues with the drive itself. It came back clean. However, I am still having issues, so I reinstalled the drive into the unit and ran Kickstart 54. On the extended test, the drive failed. Does this mean I need to completely replace the drive, or is there something that I can do to save it?

Thanks!
Old 07-02-2013, 03:53 PM   #8
ggieseke

I think KS54 is somewhere in the middle between the WD short and long tests. I've never seen a drive pass the long test and fail KS54, so I'd look at the hard drive cable in the 652 and the power supply.
ggieseke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 06:35 PM   #9
jmbach

One of the programs in use to evaluate drives is HDD GUARDIAN. It is free windows program. What I like about it is that it gives me more information than if it just passes SMART or not. It tells you if sectors are being reassigned. SMART fails if the threshold for reassigned sectors is reached. Unfortunately that bar is set high and I usually replace or re purpose drives that are SMART healthy but reassigning sectors. If the tivo drive is reassigning sectors it needs to be replaced.
Old 07-03-2013, 07:31 AM   #10
Squeege96

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmbach View Post
One of the programs in use to evaluate drives is HDD GUARDIAN. It is free windows program. What I like about it is that it gives me more information than if it just passes SMART or not. It tells you if sectors are being reassigned. SMART fails if the threshold for reassigned sectors is reached. Unfortunately that bar is set high and I usually replace or re purpose drives that are SMART healthy but reassigning sectors. If the tivo drive is reassigning sectors it needs to be replaced.
I'll give it a shot tonight. Thanks for the suggestion!
Old 07-04-2013, 08:31 AM   #11
unitron

Your best bet for a replacement drive for an S3, any model, is probably the WD20EURS, especially if you can catch it on sale for about $100 at newegg or Amazon or somewhere else trustworthy.

2TB gives you the best GB/$ ratio and the EURS is designed for 24/7 A/V service and runs fairly cool and quiet, and should have a 3 year warranty.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote