Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-22-2013, 11:04 PM   #331
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

Quote:
Originally Posted by nooneuknow View Post
Thank You. Something I think came back to me now is that the 911-clear is for "show-stopping" (critical events), and that it's imperative you use the codes as quickly as possible when the events happen, and repeat them every time the event happens. Then, as you said, 2 manual service connections.
The logs fill-up rather quickly and get overwritten, especially after a Fatal Error which results in a reboot. Forcing a Network connection also fills-up the logs, so you need to do this procedure immediately when it happens.

You can inspect the Logs using Clear-Clear-Enter-Enter-0 from the System Information menu.

Scroll Right to view the different logs.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by CoxInPHX : 05-22-2013 at 11:11 PM.
CoxInPHX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 12:22 AM   #332
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoxInPHX View Post
The logs fill-up rather quickly and get overwritten, especially after a Fatal Error which results in a reboot. Forcing a Network connection also fills-up the logs, so you need to do this procedure immediately when it happens.

You can inspect the Logs using Clear-Clear-Enter-Enter-0 from the System Information menu.

My head just exploded after viewing just a portion of all that. I'll be back when I finish growing a new one. Maybe I'll stick with cablecard specs next time, and save all the database errors for another lifetime...

No wonder they keep that backdoor cleverly hidden.

Still, it beats having to use a raw disk editor to find and view breadcrumbs, like I'm accustomed to...

One thing, though, the raw disk editor way revealed a lot of file system data, inodes, tables, and errors related to them. I didn't find the same type of entries with the backdoor (but I didn't spend a day going through everything there, yet, just skimmed, for now). Does it read the data out differently, or are the logs I was viewing with the disk editor not viewable from there? I know only enough about Linux-type systems to clone from the command line, view partition tables, etc.

Last edited by nooneuknow : 05-23-2013 at 01:07 AM.
nooneuknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 02:30 AM   #333
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
There is some anecdotal evidence, and personal experience supports it to some degree, that a full hard drive might be problematic, particularly if it is a DIY expansion.

However, as I stated elsewhere, for a Premiere I just use kmttg to empty out the folder for the recently decea.., uh, deleted.
Thanks for being the one to bring that first part up. I am aware of reports that say allowing the drive to reach 100% capacity, if you factor in the programs in the RD folder, have caused problems for DIY upgrade expansions. I just assumed there'd be a pile of people saying it's a bunch of BS. So, now I'll admit, I err on the side of caution, and make sure the drive never has to write to the very end of it's capacity, by permanently deleting things, with a teeny bit of OCD involved, as well as keeping my viewing history more private (primary reason), while still allowing other people or TiVos to transfer or stream what I chose to leave available.

Last edited by nooneuknow : 05-23-2013 at 02:39 AM.
Old 05-23-2013, 01:39 PM   #334
tomhorsley

Quote:
I can't speak for other Cable Cos, but Cox runs the same OS on all SA/Cisco CableCARDS (even leased devices) regardless of age of the card, so replacing with a newer card will not get you a more recent OS version. Cox just recently updated to OS Ver: PKEY1.5.3_F.p.0601, Build Time: Jun 19 2012
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=503101
Yea, judging from the reply I got when I asked about this in the comcast forums, the infrastructure run by the cable company needs to be updated before it can talk to new versions of firmware, so the firmware update isn't planned till June/July at the moment in Florida (till the schedule slips, of course :-).
tomhorsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 06:17 PM   #335
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:

I suppose for those who don't know, I should specify that the 911-clear and 777-clear sequences don't work within menus, only in viewing mode.

The 911-clear just marks a spot in the log, so the previous log entries can be examined, while the 777-clear adds additional logging.

I'm curious about the "QE" tests, but not knowing what they do, how long they take to run, and not knowing if I risk losing anything by using them, I'm resisting the temptation to run them.
Old 05-23-2013, 08:21 PM   #336
MeInDallas

Quote:
I suppose for those who don't know, I should specify that the 911-clear and 777-clear sequences don't work within menus, only in viewing mode.

The 911-clear just marks a spot in the log, so the previous log entries can be examined, while the 777-clear adds additional logging.

I'm curious about the "QE" tests, but not knowing what they do, how long they take to run, and not knowing if I risk losing anything by using them, I'm resisting the temptation to run them.
I tried those one time to see what they did a few months ago, and all they did was reboot the Tivo . . . that I could see. It just rebooted and then back to Tivo central.
MeInDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 09:00 PM   #337
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeInDallas View Post
I tried those one time to see what they did a few months ago, and all they did was reboot the Tivo . . . that I could see. It just rebooted and then back to Tivo central.
Just a guess, but they probably set it to run some tests at boot (which would explain why they require a reboot), that wouldn't give any visual indication they were run, or running. The tests could complete very quickly if nothing was detected.

Another guess would be that while it appears nothing happens, the TiVo boots into an enhanced logging state (or some sort of debugging state).

Have you tried them and checked the logs to see if there's any indication of either possibility?

I'll check for myself on a unit that I can afford to lose everything on, very soon, and report back if I find anything.
Old 05-23-2013, 09:43 PM   #338
mattack

Quote:
Could you elaborate further, please?

Model of TiVo, date of manufacture, total drive capacity (stock or upgraded?), region, cable provider, brand of CableCard, and more than ONE thing fixed, would be nice...

From what I've been reading, the RD/~60% issue only affects the four-tuner models. I'd be fuming mad if I EVER had the issue you describe, but I've yet to see anybody with a two-tuner model report anything about that issue.

I've seen the insides of the four-tuner models, and even though they are considered the Series 4 platform, just as are the two-tuner models, they DO have significant hardware differences, which could account for lopsided reporting of problems fixed, introduced, and unchanged.
Premiere 4, stock drive.. the rest of the info is irrelevant AFAIK.

The Tivo was nuking most of RD almost every day, and I think a few times I lost a few programs, even though it was supposedly in the 60% range full. This has been discussed by a lot of other people.

I *suspect* it's related to the same issue that made EVERY show say it was at least 2.05 GB when connected from the outside (e.g. kmttg), but really was only the true size of the program.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 05:15 PM   #339
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
Premiere 4, stock drive.. the rest of the info is irrelevant AFAIK.
Honestly, it's quite relevant. I understand if you don't wish to disclose your exact location, for privacy reasons, & it's not like I asked for your TSN.

In order for me to take your opinion of the update seriously, and for me to see if there's any way possible that there's a link between the 4 tuner model behaving differently from a 2 tuner model, or if there's no link, I'm asking the same information that others openly disclose, as well as going by posts by other people who say "It sure would help to know...", and/or "How can you compare, or be sure if..." and/or "How can anybody possibly say anything definitive without knowing and/or help if...", etc...

I set up an experiment with two identical Premiere 2-tuner models, where each is recording two channels, manually, for 23hrs, 59min every day. One is behaving like you describe your issue before the update, AFTER the update (only keeping ~60% before deleting), while the other is always at 100%. What's different? One has a model PKM800 CableCard, the other has a PKM802 CableCard (and Cox claims both work the same). The TiVos were also manufactured nearly a year apart.

Does it make a bit more sense, now, why I would ask for some specifics? Specifics are extremely important in troubleshooting, and creating accurate results to share, when somebody, like me, takes two units out of service, just to try and compare results, and share them. Then, if enough specifics are provided, and a fix is found, it can be shared with the community, and TiVo. If no fix is found, then this data definitely needs to be shared with all parties that can do something about it.

Before you ask, they both have identical DVR_DUDE imaged hard drives, 2TB, and both drives test fine, repeatedly.
Old 05-25-2013, 09:00 AM   #340
chiguy50

fwiw, I signed up both my Premiere and Premiere Elite for the priority update on May 16, and neither one has received the update yet.

I choose to take this as a "positive" sign that TiVo recognizes the update needs more work.
chiguy50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 09:08 AM   #341
mowens511

My Tivo still hasn't upgraded to the new 20.3.1 software. Does anyone know why this would be? I am new to Tivo and am still learning how things work.
mowens511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 09:17 AM   #342
DogsOfWarandPeac

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiguy50 View Post
fwiw, I signed up both my Premiere and Premiere Elite for the priority update on May 16, and neither one has received the update yet.

I choose to take this as a "positive" sign that TiVo recognizes the update needs more work.
I hope so. I did get the update and reported bugs I found directly to TiVo so that they can make an informed decision about the rest of the roll out and to fix the bugs.
DogsOfWarandPeac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 09:19 AM   #343
DogsOfWarandPeac

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowens511 View Post
My Tivo still hasn't upgraded to the new 20.3.1 software. Does anyone know why this would be? I am new to Tivo and am still learning how things work.
That's normal. You get the update when you get it. They do a staggered roll out and your unit just isn't first in line.
DogsOfWarandPeac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 10:03 AM   #344
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

And you'll get the same update everyone else does...bugs and all...
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 10:28 AM   #345
JoeKustra
Cable only

Now, now. You know there will be an update. Then an update to the update. Then.....
JoeKustra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 10:37 AM   #346
jhilla

New Problem, Audio started to bleed from DisneyJr while loading HuluPlus I still had audio from Live TV. I had never encountered this before, is this a beta bug or a TiVo echo/hiccup/burb?
jhilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 10:57 AM   #347
lpwcomp

There is at least one problem which may have been fixed by this update - not being able to permanently delete some recordings w/o rebooting the TiVo. Of course, there is no way to verify this. Just because I haven't seen the problem since the update doesn't mean it isn't still there.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 11:36 AM   #348
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
There is at least one problem which may have been fixed by this update - not being able to permanently delete some recordings w/o rebooting the TiVo. Of course, there is no way to verify this. Just because I haven't seen the problem since the update doesn't mean it isn't still there.
It still exists for me. I always get around it by hitting LiveTv, switching the active (viewing) Tuner, and then I can permanently delete the program.

Some report that it's because the program recorded from the active channel, and do the same dance. I've had to do it regardless, even with programs transferred between TiVos.

Then there are always some who have to comment "Why do you even feel the need, or what reason do you have, to do that?". The only common ground I can find with those who say that is "For privacy, as this is a multi-TiVo, multi user home, where we share things, and the last update before this one made it possible to view & undelete from a remote TiVo's Recently Deleted folder, & then transfer."

I've other reasons, but they'll just call them OCD.

Last edited by nooneuknow : 05-25-2013 at 11:45 AM.
Old 05-25-2013, 11:43 AM   #349
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogsOfWarandPeac View Post
I hope so. I did get the update and reported bugs I found directly to TiVo so that they can make an informed decision about the rest of the roll out and to fix the bugs.
I PRAY so, even though I'm agnostic. Maybe we need to start our own church, since everybody (especially CableCos), but TiVo themselves (as a company), seem to think TiVo users are merely a fringe/cult group, and make us feel powerless. We could worship the TiVo man, whom we already are at the mercy of, and hope he shoots lightning bolts at naysayers, kinda like on the startup video...
Old 05-25-2013, 11:14 PM   #350
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

Losing all Channels & Reboots

Losing all Channels on my Elite, (Black-No Audio) has happened to me twice now since receiving the latest update, 20.3.1

EDIT: I also experience one other occurrence of a Frozen tuner that resulted in losing all channels after attempting to change channels.

All SD Menu screens also have a Black background

TiVo message is "Problem with the signal on this channel. Trying again. (V53).

I never had this issue before, or rarely ever noticed it.

I also have had a few spontaneous reboots, that I never used to experience.

Last edited by CoxInPHX : 05-25-2013 at 11:26 PM.
CoxInPHX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 11:51 AM   #351
lessd

Quote:
Losing all Channels on my Elite, (Black-No Audio) has happened to me twice now since receiving the latest update, 20.3.1

EDIT: I also experience one other occurrence of a Frozen tuner that resulted in losing all channels after attempting to change channels.

All SD Menu screens also have a Black background

TiVo message is "Problem with the signal on this channel. Trying again. (V53).

I never had this issue before, or rarely ever noticed it.

I also have had a few spontaneous reboots, that I never used to experience.
Just as a point of reference, I have 3 TP-4 (750500) all with the new software (20.3.1) and I am not getting any problems, although my Mini did not get the update to 20.3.1.

Old 05-26-2013, 07:33 PM   #352
aaronwt
HD Addict

My GF and I have been catching up on a bunch of shows yesterday and today that I had transferred to my OTA only Premiere that I brought to her house. So far I've not run into any issues playing back the shows recorded between January and May this year.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 09:21 PM   #353
ufo4sale

Is there a list on what they updated?
Old 05-26-2013, 10:18 PM   #354
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by ufo4sale View Post
Is there a list on what they updated?
Never. They want you to guess.

wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 07:42 AM   #355
moose53

I've got a premier. Every day or two since the update, I've been getting channel signal strengths of 54 on every single channel ... ones that I receive and ones that I don't receive ... (and a lot of pixelization on the channels that I do receive). The only thing that seems to stop it is to restart the Tivo.

Anyone else having this problem??

Thanks.
Old 05-27-2013, 11:39 AM   #356
JoeKustra
Cable only

Quote:
Originally Posted by moose53 View Post
I've got a premier. Every day or two since the update, I've been getting channel signal strengths of 54 on every single channel ... ones that I receive and ones that I don't receive ... (and a lot of pixelization on the channels that I do receive). The only thing that seems to stop it is to restart the Tivo.

Anyone else having this problem??

Thanks.
It's a known issue that the signal strength display is not funtioning properly. You haven't said how it worked before the update and if you are cable or OTA.

Last edited by JoeKustra : 05-28-2013 at 10:00 AM.
JoeKustra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 02:51 PM   #357
CharlesH

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
Never. They want you to guess.
TiVo apparently has a policy to not release a change log. The only thing they announce is new features. This has been a gripe from users essentially for forever.
CharlesH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 04:15 PM   #358
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesH View Post
TiVo apparently has a policy to not release a change log. The only thing they announce is new features. This has been a gripe from users essentially for forever.
Actually, when the 20.2.2 update was released in October of 2012, we got this post from TiVoMargret.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 05:52 PM   #359
compnurd

Quote:
Actually, when the 20.2.2 update was released in October of 2012, we got this post from TiVoMargret.
The last couple we did get some notes.. She didnt even really acknowledge this update on twitter
compnurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 09:23 PM   #360
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post

2. And of course "another bug" - Really TiVo do they not even test this stuff. New Bug: When going into "signal meter" it now freezes after selecting a couple of channels and does not report real results - thus ALL channels now report the same thing for signal strength. Once the signal strength meter is frozen; it becomes frozen in DVR Diagnostics too. The only way I know to fix it, is to unplug reboot."
I came across this the other day. I have a couple of channels that have signal strengths that are low, but ok for a while then they drop too low and I have to adjust the antenna. I'm having issues now and I can't fix them w/o a working signal strength meter.