TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-15-2013, 03:49 PM   #1
nyjack

Xfinity Vod Gsm-7 Error

My new Premiere 4 was delivered late yesterday afternoon (more like early evening). I put in the multi-stream cable card (Comcast) and did the guided setup (in that order). I had the cable card paired before completing the setup so I had to get it paired again when I finished the setup. All of my channels are working including premium. Unfortunately, the VOD is not working. When I click on the Xfinity on Demand icon I am unable to get anywhere. What I get is the following message displayed on my screen:

Request failed. Please try again. If problem continues please call
your cable operator. Reference (GSM-7) when calling. The locale code
is (tivocardio-ch2-a5p.comcast.com).

In addition I am also not able to connect to the Amazon on demand service. I also bought the TiVo Stream which is working fine.

I've called both TiVo and Comcast. Neither of them recognize the error code/message. However, TiVo does see something strange. Although I did the setup of my Premiere about 20 hours ago, none of their records or logs show that I've connected to the TiVo servers AT ALL (not even for the initial setup). They are quite surprised that I have now got 2 weeks of program guide data and have a functioning to-do list and seasons passes.

The TiVo tech told me that mine is maybe the third call she knows of referencing this behavior. She said she will email the next level of support to bring this problem to their attention. She also gave me the toll free number for Comcast level 2 support (I've been on hold for about 90 minutes now).

I bought the Premiere (1) for the 4 tuners, (2) for the ability to stream programs to my iPad and (3) to gain access to Xfinity Video On Demand via TiVo.

I am extraordinarily frustrated. Right now from what I've been told by Comcast and TiVo as well as what I've read on these and all other forums I can find (as well as google searches), there doesn't seem to be an answer coming anytime soon.

If anyone has some guidance for me I will be most appreciative.

Thanks,
Jack
nyjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 04:01 PM   #2
nyjack

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyjack View Post
My new Premiere 4 was delivered late yesterday afternoon (more like early evening). I put in the multi-stream cable card (Comcast) and did the guided setup (in that order). I had the cable card paired before completing the setup so I had to get it paired again when I finished the setup. All of my channels are working including premium. Unfortunately, the VOD is not working. When I click on the Xfinity on Demand icon I am unable to get anywhere. What I get is the following message displayed on my screen:

Request failed. Please try again. If problem continues please call
your cable operator. Reference (GSM-7) when calling. The locale code
is (tivocardio-ch2-a5p.comcast.com).

In addition I am also not able to connect to the Amazon on demand service. I also bought the TiVo Stream which is working fine.

I've called both TiVo and Comcast. Neither of them recognize the error code/message. However, TiVo does see something strange. Although I did the setup of my Premiere about 20 hours ago, none of their records or logs show that I've connected to the TiVo servers AT ALL (not even for the initial setup). They are quite surprised that I have now got 2 weeks of program guide data and have a functioning to-do list and seasons passes.

The TiVo tech told me that mine is maybe the third call she knows of referencing this behavior. She said she will email the next level of support to bring this problem to their attention. She also gave me the toll free number for Comcast level 2 support (I've been on hold for about 90 minutes now).

I bought the Premiere (1) for the 4 tuners, (2) for the ability to stream programs to my iPad and (3) to gain access to Xfinity Video On Demand via TiVo.

I am extraordinarily frustrated. Right now from what I've been told by Comcast and TiVo as well as what I've read on these and all other forums I can find (as well as google searches), there doesn't seem to be an answer coming anytime soon.

If anyone has some guidance for me I will be most appreciative.

Thanks,
Jack
One more thought on my GSM-7 post: my older TiVo, an HD with 2 tuners, has worked fine since I bought it. Of course it doesn't have XVOD but everything else works fine. Might swapping the cable cards be a good test to find out if the cable card may be causing the VOD problem? If I decide to try this test do I need to call Comcast first? Will the cards need to be re-paired to the changed TiVos? Is this even worth the bother as the only function that doesn't work is the VOD service?

Thanks again,
Jack
Old 03-15-2013, 04:14 PM   #3
WVZR1

Quote:
One more thought on my GSM-7 post: my older TiVo, an HD with 2 tuners, has worked fine since I bought it. Of course it doesn't have XVOD but everything else works fine. Might swapping the cable cards be a good test to find out if the cable card may be causing the VOD problem? If I decide to try this test do I need to call Comcast first? Will the cards need to be re-paired to the changed TiVos? Is this even worth the bother as the only function that doesn't work is the VOD service?

Thanks again,
Jack
Don't start swapping cards!!

I'd leave it alone! I've had VOD for a few months and yesterday I got a GSM-7 on one machine and a GSM-11 on the other. Comcast has done hits etc trying to fix and 24 hours (maybe more) later I've still not had it return. Don't swap cards - just be patient. What number are you calling? If you had TiVo on the phone and they mentioned they would connect you and you didn't "direct dial" it your 90 minute wait might be expected. When I called with my issue they attempted to connect me and the CSR waited with me for better than 15 minutes, then left me connected to them and went back to work. I put the phone on speaker, sat back watched a show or two and 118 minutes later still had "we're busy we'll be with you directly" coming at me about every 40 seconds. I finally "HUNG UP"!

When I spoke to a Comcast CSR she was familiar with TiVo, CC and the VOD but the particular codes she "WAS NOT"! It was passed on to engineering and I'm just waiting. My TiVo was "hired" to record and play back at my convenience. It's doing that!
WVZR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 09:26 AM   #4
nyjack

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVZR1 View Post

Don't start swapping cards!!

I'd leave it alone! I've had VOD for a few months and yesterday I got a GSM-7 on one machine and a GSM-11 on the other. Comcast has done hits etc trying to fix and 24 hours (maybe more) later I've still not had it return. Don't swap cards - just be patient. What number are you calling? If you had TiVo on the phone and they mentioned they would connect you and you didn't "direct dial" it your 90 minute wait might be expected. When I called with my issue they attempted to connect me and the CSR waited with me for better than 15 minutes, then left me connected to them and went back to work. I put the phone on speaker, sat back watched a show or two and 118 minutes later still had "we're busy we'll be with you directly" coming at me about every 40 seconds. I finally "HUNG UP"!

When I spoke to a Comcast CSR she was familiar with TiVo, CC and the VOD but the particular codes she "WAS NOT"! It was passed on to engineering and I'm just waiting. My TiVo was "hired" to record and play back at my convenience. It's doing that!
I was given a number that goes (according to the TiVo tech) directly to Comcast level 2 support: 877-530-6950.

As I was waiting for an answer to my post I didn't swap cards. This morning I wiped out everything on my new Premiere and am starting over. I am hoping that the problem may have come from using the online season pass manager. Yesterday I copied all my season passes from my old HD to my Premier. Before I went to sleep I saw some very strange things on the season pass list on the Premiere. Many of the items had changed from whatever show I had programmed to something like "Corrupted, please delete me. Updating".

Yesterday, after I had tried (unsuccessfully) the first time, to copy all my season passes, while I was on the phone with a TiVo tech, she told me that while this feature is available, she doesn't recommend that people use it. This morning I decided that I would start over and see if this resolves the problem. This was before I read your reply. So it looks like I may be wasting my time bur will post how it went after the Premier is fully loaded.

Thanks,
Jack
Old 03-16-2013, 09:47 AM   #5
WVZR1

The GSM-7 code maybe has been replaced by a GSM-11 and I actually spoke to someone that "understood" the issues with GSM-7 and I was asked to restart my machines and both became GSM-11. This is what I was told: There is an upgrade going on for CableCard VOD by Comcast and it should rectify itself. I was told to check again later and restart the box before checking. I don't plan on doing this until tomorrow again.

Comcast wanted to do a "house call" here in the local office on a Saturday that would have been a waste of their time and mine. There would likely have been no-one available with the required CableCard experience to answer a field techs questions for Saturday. The local agent got very upset that I wouldn't consent to the "house call" but what's the sense!
Old 03-16-2013, 10:07 AM   #6
nyjack

Quote:
The GSM-7 code maybe has been replaced by a GSM-11 and I actually spoke to someone that "understood" the issues with GSM-7 and I was asked to restart my machines and both became GSM-11. This is what I was told: There is an upgrade going on for CableCard VOD by Comcast and it should rectify itself. I was told to check again later and restart the box before checking. I don't plan on doing this until tomorrow again.

Comcast wanted to do a "house call" here in the local office on a Saturday that would have been a waste of their time and mine. There would likely have been no-one available with the required CableCard experience to answer a field techs questions for Saturday. The local agent got very upset that I wouldn't consent to the "house call" but what's the sense!
Okay, I think I understand what you are saying, but let me be sure. First let me tell you that my Premiere just completed its update and I am now getting the GSM-11 error!

So you are saying that Comcast is aware of this problem and the GSM-11 error is "progress" and that Comcast is pushing out an upgrade that should fix the problem? If I've got this right, do you have any idea when the fix is expected to be complete and the VOD problem fixed?

Thanks,
Jack
Old 03-16-2013, 10:21 AM   #7
WVZR1

Quote:
Okay, I think I understand what you are saying, but let me be sure. First let me tell you that my Premiere just completed its update and I am now getting the GSM-11 error!

So you are saying that Comcast is aware of this problem and the GSM-11 error is "progress" and that Comcast is pushing out an upgrade that should fix the problem? If I've got this right, do you have any idea when the fix is expected to be complete and the VOD problem fixed?

Thanks,
Jack
I was led to believe that GSM-11 in the case of machines that displayed GSM-7 earlier would be considered "progress"! The upgrade I was told is in progress and was told nothing regarding completion. One needs to watch how they interpret "UPGRADE" - it's often used to disguise the fact that someone is fixing what is "broken"!! An upgrade or a fix - who knows? Not me!!

Mine is like I mentioned, accomplishing what I "hired" it to do. Record for watching at my convenience!!

Patience!
Old 03-16-2013, 10:55 AM   #8
nyjack

Quote:

I was led to believe that GSM-11 in the case of machines that displayed GSM-7 earlier would be considered "progress"! The upgrade I was told is in progress and was told nothing regarding completion. One needs to watch how they interpret "UPGRADE" - it's often used to disguise the fact that someone is fixing what is "broken"!! An upgrade or a fix - who knows? Not me!!

Mine is like I mentioned, accomplishing what I "hired" it to do. Record for watching at my convenience!!

Patience!
Patience is not my strong suit, but I will try.

Another question while I'm re-setting up my Premiere: how do I get the VOD choices back into the My Shows (aka Now Playing on my TiVo HD)?
Old 03-16-2013, 11:13 AM   #9
WVZR1

Settings > Channels > My Video Providers

Only check those that you want to populate "MY SHOWS" (NPL)
Old 03-16-2013, 11:20 AM   #10
nyjack

Quote:
Settings > Channels > My Video Providers

Only check those that you want to populate "MY SHOWS" (NPL)
Only things listed there are: channel list, channel scan, signal strength - cable

???
Old 03-16-2013, 11:30 AM   #11
WVZR1

Quote:
Only things listed there are: channel list, channel scan, signal strength - cable

???
Are you using HD GUI ? What software?

Go to Showcases & Apps > Enable Home Network Apps (Very last/bottom) I believe that might enable the providers section. I really don't recall. I don't believe that option was always there. I was just always irritated with having all of the options in "MY SHOWS" and I stumbled upon the "Video Providers" after a recent update. Maybe I was sent a message!

Last edited by WVZR1 : 03-16-2013 at 11:36 AM.
Old 03-16-2013, 12:11 PM   #12
nyjack

Quote:

Are you using HD GUI ? What software?

Go to Showcases & Apps > Enable Home Network Apps (Very last/bottom) I believe that might enable the providers section. I really don't recall. I don't believe that option was always there. I was just always irritated with having all of the options in "MY SHOWS" and I stumbled upon the "Video Providers" after a recent update. Maybe I was sent a message!
Was using old SD GUI to add Season Passes manually. I just switched back to the HD GUI and was able to add most of the VOD choices but the Amazon one is not showing up even though it works if I go to Find TV, Movies & Videos.

Here's something else that seems strange: I did a search that I know is available On Demand. The program is found. It then gives the options where to Get This Show. The choices for Watch Now are: VFINITY VOD HD, XFINITY VOD, Live TV (as it happens to be on right now on Showtime). I got the GSM-11 error. To be sure I tried it again with a movie that is not on. It showed availability from Amazon and XFINITY VOD. Same results.

Is this only happening with Comcast? Is there anyone reading these that has another provider where their VOD is working?
Old 03-16-2013, 01:31 PM   #13
WVZR1

Quote:
Was using old SD GUI to add Season Passes manually. I just switched back to the HD GUI and was able to add most of the VOD choices but the Amazon one is not showing up even though it works if I go to Find TV, Movies & Videos.

Here's something else that seems strange: I did a search that I know is available On Demand. The program is found. It then gives the options where to Get This Show. The choices for Watch Now are: VFINITY VOD HD, XFINITY VOD, Live TV (as it happens to be on right now on Showtime). I got the GSM-11 error. To be sure I tried it again with a movie that is not on. It showed availability from Amazon and XFINITY VOD. Same results.

Is this only happening with Comcast? Is there anyone reading these that has another provider where their VOD is working?
VOD is a "COMCAST" only thing at present I believe. It's been mentioned for others but still a Comcast only thing.
Old 03-16-2013, 10:27 PM   #14
Tanquen

There are a few GSM error threads but this is how mine went down:

From what I can tell the GSM codes are network errors and for one reason or another the TiVo’s VOD request is being denied. It could be something on your end but most likely it’s on the Comcast network side. They updated something and left out some of the old config or something in your account as it must have the special TiVo Premier VOD code added.

I had GSM-11 only after reboot then GSM-7 after that on my TiVo for the last three days after everything had been working fine for over a month. Comcast by default, wants you to reboot everything, replace everything, resend the pairing to the CableCARD, send a truck out and so on. Anything but escalate the issue the tier 2 or network guys and start a trouble ticket. I had read up on it a bit and kept pressing for a trouble ticket and telling them they can send out a truck and make me replace the CableCARD but everything I’ve seen on line says it an issue on their network.

The last guy finial started a ticket the other day and today it magically works again, no reboots or replacing cards or clicking my heals together three times and so on.
Tanquen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 09:16 AM   #15
nyjack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanquen View Post

From what I can tell the GSM codes are network errors and for one reason or another the TiVo's VOD request is being denied. It could be something on your end but most likely it's on the Comcast network side. They updated something and left out some of the old config or something in your account as it must have the special TiVo Premier VOD code added.

I had GSM-11 only after reboot then GSM-7 after that on my TiVo for the last three days after everything had been working fine for over a month. Comcast by default, wants you to reboot everything, replace everything, resend the pairing to the CableCARD, send a truck out and so on. Anything but escalate the issue the tier 2 or network guys and start a trouble ticket. I had read up on it a bit and kept pressing for a trouble ticket and telling them they can send out a truck and make me replace the CableCARD but everything I've seen on line says it an issue on their network.

The last guy finial started a ticket the other day and today it magically works again, no reboots or replacing cards or clicking my heals together three times and so on.
So, from what you are telling me, if I push them hard enough and get level 2 involved it should begin to work sometime soon after that. I hope this works because the main reason I went to the Premiere 4 is the Xfinity on demand. I'll try Comcast again. It may be better to wait until tomorrow as I don't know if they have the top staff working on weekends.
Old 03-17-2013, 09:40 AM   #16
WVZR1

Quote:
So, from what you are telling me, if I push them hard enough and get level 2 involved it should begin to work sometime soon after that. I hope this works because the main reason I went to the Premiere 4 is the Xfinity on demand. I'll try Comcast again. It may be better to wait until tomorrow as I don't know if they have the top staff working on weekends.
The "main reason" comment for the Premiere 4 I don't understand. Would you mind explaining?
Old 03-17-2013, 09:46 AM   #17
nyjack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanquen View Post

From what I can tell the GSM codes are network errors and for one reason or another the TiVo's VOD request is being denied. It could be something on your end but most likely it's on the Comcast network side. They updated something and left out some of the old config or something in your account as it must have the special TiVo Premier VOD code added.

I had GSM-11 only after reboot then GSM-7 after that on my TiVo for the last three days after everything had been working fine for over a month. Comcast by default, wants you to reboot everything, replace everything, resend the pairing to the CableCARD, send a truck out and so on. Anything but escalate the issue the tier 2 or network guys and start a trouble ticket. I had read up on it a bit and kept pressing for a trouble ticket and telling them they can send out a truck and make me replace the CableCARD but everything I've seen on line says it an issue on their network.

One other thought. Shouldn't this be, to some extent, TiVo's responsibility?
Old 03-17-2013, 10:07 AM   #18
nyjack

Quote:

The "main reason" comment for the Premiere 4 I don't understand. Would you mind explaining?
I wanted the best of both worlds. I love my TiVo but miss not being able to get on demand movies and shows that Comcast (xfinity) offers. Now that TiVo is supposed to be able to have xfinity on demand I bought the premiere 4. Now I have the new TiVo (with 2 more tuners than I had with the HD) and xfinity on demand. Only the xfinity on demand doesn't work.
Old 03-17-2013, 02:45 PM   #19
nyjack

I've noticed (via google search) that many people have had this problem (GSM-11 or 7 when trying to access Xfinity VOD). I've also read that the VOD problem has been resolved in some, if not many of the cases. But I can't seem to find anyone who has detailed all the steps taken to get their Xfinity VOD working. Has anyone here gone thru this and had a satisfactory resolution that can be explained in detail?
Old 03-17-2013, 05:46 PM   #20
nyjack

Can anybody tell me the difference between GSM-7 and GSM-11? I spoke to several people at Comcast today. The last person I spoke to said that this whole thing is a known problem and they are working on it. She thought it might be worth a try swapping my cable cards (between my Premiere and my HD) so we did it. I still don't have Xfinity on demand but am now back to the GSM-7 error??
Old 03-18-2013, 11:53 AM   #21
derektem

Hey Jack,
I hear and feel for your frustration in trying to get this P4 working with XVOD. I say this because I am a recent new customer who bought a P4 and spents weeks trying to get this XVOD setup. I too had encountered this GSM-11 error and I have spent many hours on the phone with Comcast trying to figure this out. It's really disappointing to know that when you call them to get help, but they can't help you out because they just don't know how to debug XVOD problems on a TiVo P4 unit (and yet they continue to brag about their customer guarantee BS!!).

Anyway, I want to share my 2 cents worth in light of hoping you might eventually get XVOD working for you. My XVOD is working nicely now.
By no means what I'm about to share is technical. Just my recent experience to get things working (at least for my case).
1) Check to make sure channel 1 (or 701) is listed in your channel lineup/listing.
2) If channel 1 is not listed, I called Comcast CableCard support directly (877-405-2298) and request them to resynchronize your CableCard with your TiVo P4 because XVOD is not working.

Comcast support may claim that your zip code or address may not have XVOD available in your area. Don't believe them unless you can verify using - www dot tivo dot com / xfinity. But if this webpage replies that it does, then you have XVOD in your area. Comcast tried to pull this stunt on me but I told them otherwise.

I'm sorry to hear your frustration. I hope you get your XVOD working soon.
derektem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 12:10 PM   #22
nyjack

I just checked and both of those channels are set. Please look at a new post/thread I just wrote entitled "New thought on TiVo Premiere VOD GSM-7/11 errors",

I've had Comcast reset, in-pair, re-pair, authorize, etc., more times than I can count. I'm just wondering now if it might be something involving the Internet. Please let me know your thoughts after you read that new post.

Thanks,
Jack
Old 03-18-2013, 05:53 PM   #23
nyjack

It's working!! I am really not sure about what happened. I was fooling around with my router, changing some settings (trying to find ports that may be blocked; I have a netgear router that was provided by Comcast). I tried an old router that I stopped using last year, but couldn't get it to work wired; only the wireless worked. Anyway, because I was trying a different router I had to redo my network settings back to the Comcast router. I then did a (another) forced update. I suspected that something was happening because the update took @45 minutes. I went off and did something else and went to check if the update was done. As I've been doing every time I do a connection I tried Xfinity VOD, expecting one of the error codes and... and... IT WORKED!!

I'll try to answer whatever questions anyone has, but I think I just said about all I can remember. But since it started working just after a long update, doesn't it seem like this was a TiVo problem and not Comcast?

Thanks everyone. This forum is great! Knowing I was sharing a problem that lots of others had gone through successfully really kept me encouraged.

Thanks,
Jack
Old 05-27-2013, 04:06 AM   #24
dv4334

Thanks for the info but I found this out;

Requirements

Before or after Comcast makes XFINITY On Demand available in your market, you will need to make sure your Premiere series DVR meets the following requirements:

You or a Comcast installer has installed, configured, and paired a CableCARD.

IMPORTANT: Scientific Atlanta CableCARDs are not compatible with Xfinity Video On Demand. If the customer has a Scientific Atlanta card, tell them to request a Motorola CableCARD from Comcast.
Your Premiere has a broadband connection (Ethernet, Wireless N or Wireless G, or MoCA).
Your TiVo Premiere is running software 20.2.0a or higher.
Your Comcast cable package includes XFINITY On Demand (For this information you’ll need to contact Comcast Customer Support.)
XFINITY On Demand for TiVo Premiere is available in your market (Click here to learn more).

And it turns out my cablecard is Scientific Atlanta

Thanks again for pointing me in the right direction
DV

Last edited by dv4334 : 05-27-2013 at 04:31 AM.
dv4334 is offline   Reply With Quote